Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Prologue) UPDATE HAS FAILED

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:37 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 05:37 PM #1 of 34
Gran Turismo 5 (Prologue) UPDATE HAS FAILED

Discuss the upcoming games "Gran Turismo 5" and "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue" a.k.a. the largest demo in the world a.k.a. the best ripoff in videogame history

Hey did you know that GT5:Prologue was already available in Europe? It's okay, I like the 60plus cars, but uhh, six tracks, hello?? The soundtrack also sounds as if it was produced in some nursing home basement.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:30 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 02:30 PM #2 of 34
Actually, considering the price of the thing is less than that of a normal new game, it's certainly not the largest ripoff in history. Hell, I can think of full priced racing games from a generation ago that had less content than this and still charged full price.

A demo would have been, y'know, GT Concept HD. If they went through with the plan to charge money for that, there might be reason to get up in arms, but this is not so bad. Prologue has a lot more content than the free Concept HD has too, so it's at least more than a super basic sampler.

I'd be willing to drop 40 dollars for the chance to play the next GT game before 2153 anyway. At this point, I just want to play it. I'm sick of the waiting.

Apparently the NA version has a couple of extra cars (from Peugeot) and a new Tuner (RE Amemiya), so that means 3 new stock cars and two new tuned ones. Dunno which. *shrug* Also, 10 more crap licensed tracks from the likes of The Mars Volta and Weezer. Those will, undoubtedly, suck.

If the game uses the same source audio as the released soundtrack, I don't understand the problem you're having with it, it sounds fine. Or is this a case of the disc not sounding anything like the audio in the game? (Hellllllllllo Halo 3.)

Real question: Do people here even LIKE racing games? There's rarely (read: never), threads on these things. And if there are, the reply count is so low. It's too bad.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:56 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 02:56 PM #3 of 34
I'd be willing to drop 40 dollars for the chance to play the next GT game before 2153 anyway. At this point, I just want to play it. I'm sick of the waiting.
We could just play Forza 2 some more. Other than its terrible {terrible} interface, it was just as enjoyable as GT4.

Quote:
Real question: Do people here even LIKE racing games? There's rarely (read: never), threads on these things. And if there are, the reply count is so low. It's too bad.
Only a few people here seem to even play racing games, and I really doubt more than three or four people on the board would have any interest in discussing car tunings. And of those three or four, I would probably be the only one interested in discussing car tuning within the context of self-handicapping your car as we did in Forza 2 when we only raced S rank cars. S rank only. No collisions. Maple Valley.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:18 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 09:18 PM #4 of 34
I likes racing games. Given I recently worked my way through PGR4 and Burnout Paradise, have Sega Rally to return to and have picked up GT5:Prologue. Perhaps racing appeals more to Europeans, who knows.

I've picked this up because it was dirt cheap - I got it for £15, whereas a normal full PS3 title will go for £40-£50 at launch - and because I want to give it a go. It looks like it'll look pretty and with online play and what-not, well why the devil not. And it's so much more than a demo. A cut-down version of a packed title doesn't equate to a demo version of a game.

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:23 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 03:23 PM #5 of 34
A cut-down version of a packed title doesn't equate to a demo version of a game.
This is an interesting statement.

What constitutes a "demo version", then?

Unless you equate demo with "short" or "not a lot of content", there's no real way to describe GT5p as anything OTHER than a demo, albeit a large one.

It's still, well, a demonstration of what the full game will offer, lacks all the content of it's eventual big brother, and is merely a sampling of what we'll be seeing in the full game.

Don't fool yourself, we ARE buying an expensive demo. Wether or not that's of personal value to the buyer is the only thing that should be considered when one is looking at buying the thing.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:27 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 09:27 PM #6 of 34
Don't be such a pedantic fool. I could equally ask what constitutes a "full game"? It's only the existing knowledge that a 'full' title is upcoming that leads you to the conclusion that this is a demonstration for that game. And well this is an endless argument I have no great interest in.

You are correct though, it's the worth to the buyer that matters, but that, again, goes for all games that require payment for.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Apr 2, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:31 PM #7 of 34
it's sad how a "demo" of the full GT5 has more content than some games (motorstorm). i'll probably get this game because the wait for the full GT5 is probably 2-3 years away. what bugs me is that when you buy the disc version, you have to install more than the psn download, about 5 gigs as opposed to the 2gigs from the psn, and you still have to insert the disc(i think).

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:42 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 03:42 PM #8 of 34
Yeah, that's sort of exactly it. If this was released as any other game, it would look like it had a decent amount of content for a full fledged title.

But that whole "Prologue" subtitle, along with the knowledge that the full game is coming, sort of proves my point.

It's not like I find the release objectionable or anything, but consider how this thing is marketed, named, and labelled. It's not like I don't think there's value to the release. I most certainly do, and most certainly will be picking it up, so.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:52 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 09:52 PM #9 of 34
So you're saying that if they'd just released the game as GT5 you'd be happy? Are you saying that it's the knowledge of the future 'full' game that makes it a demo? Therefore I wonder what the reaction would have been if you didn't know about plans for a 'full' version.

Given the amount of content in the previous GT games, and therefore the expectation for any GT5, I would guess people would still be bitching and moaning. But it has to make you wonder, what if they had launched Prologue as 'Gran Turismo 5'? At the same price-point it currently is, mind.

My point is, that calling it a "demo" is a cheap-shot, and lazy.

Edit: What does piss me off, however, is the whole installation bollocks. If I wanted the hassle, and time-waste, of installation I'd still be in the PC gaming scene. I want a console to be a console. I also don't want my harddrive filled with bullshit.

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Apr 2, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:08 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 04:08 PM #10 of 34
People would be right in questioning the game if this is how much they got after these many years of waiting and the constant delays. If this was the end result of this many years of waiting, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that people would be disappointed, considering the standards set by the other titles for car and track counts. (I could make a crack here about including only one Skyline would make GT4 have a car count similar to this one, but I won't.)

It IS the knowledge of the final product coming down the pipe that makes a cheap, lighter featured version palatable when it comes to this particular brand name. This isn't rocket science here, OP.

Using the term demo is not derogatory. I do not understand why you're assuming it means as much. Amount of content notwithstanding, that doesn't change what it is when you compare it to the final product, y'know.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:13 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 10:13 PM #11 of 34
I do not, personally, believe 'demo' to be a derogatory term, but context is important.

The general intention of those labeling Prologue a demo appears to be to discredit, and use the term to substantiate their negative view of the release. I'm not saying you, or all people, but having read a fair number of comments about the game those branding it a 'demo' are doing so in a negative way. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that point.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:19 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 04:19 PM #12 of 34
Maybe no one makes threads on racing games because it always devolves into bullshit arguing. Or maybe it is just a Gran Turismo thing.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:29 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 04:29 PM #13 of 34
Civil discourse on the nature of a release isn't the same as idiotic trolling, russ. You of all people should know this.

And some of you people are the same folks who wonder why all topics in here are dead. Well, here you go.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 04:05 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 10:05 AM #14 of 34
I love the Gran Turismo games and in fact racing games in general (Although I prefer it when they're either pure sim or pure arcade rather than some bastard child of both like PGR). Grant Turismo 5 is probably what will sell me a PS3, just as GT3 pretty much sold me a PS2. I also bought GT3 Concept which a similar setup to this, a few cars, a few tracks, just showing off the physics model and graphics. It was also the first game to feature the Bugatti Vaeron under the guise of the VW W12 (And in bright orange!).

As people have said, it's dirt cheap and you get more content than in some full price games. I got several hours of enjoyment out of GT3C, certainly more than my money's worth so if I owned a PS3 I'd jump right on this.

I do hope they jog on all those stupid muscle cars though, they're just not fun to drive. I think I won all the muscle car races in the last game using a Mitsubishi Lancer...

Most amazing jew boots
aesop
all out of time, all into space

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:34 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 11:34 AM #15 of 34
I love the Gran Turismo games and in fact racing games in general (Although I prefer it when they're either pure sim or pure arcade rather than some bastard child of both like PGR)...
I feel the same.

I thought it was a pretty ok price for a demo/prologue. But for my needs, I could probably live with this version long term and give the full release a miss. If it is out in PAL land (I was totally unaware), I might have a look for it in the shops when I'm out later.

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:53 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 11:53 AM #16 of 34
Wow lol you guys act as if you got this game for free. I had to pay 40€ for it, which is something like 60$, I guess, so I refuse to speak of a game "cheap as hell".

There's no need to discuss the awesome graphics, but I think after the ten hours you need to complete all the events, it gets extremely boring to repeat Daytona Speed Course fifty times in a row in order to get all the credits you need to buy a shiny red Ferrari F1 car.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:43 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 12:43 PM #17 of 34
€40 does sound a bit much, though clearly you were happy to pay it though, otherwise you wouldn't have. Ultimately comparisons to US prices are pointless as Europe will never pay comparable prices, not in the current economic climate, and I imagine not ever. Since we can afford to pay more, we will always pay more. Though, yes, it pisses me off every time.

US/Europe price comparisons aside, I feel the £15 I paid is a suitable price, and I would happily have paid the £20 RRP if I hadn't had a money off code. £15 for a current-gen game is dirt cheap to me and I've picked up many titles for more than that (and consider them cheap). It's a matter of personal opinion then as to whether or not you consider this title cheap.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:46 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 07:46 AM #18 of 34
I do hope they jog on all those stupid muscle cars though, they're just not fun to drive. I think I won all the muscle car races in the last game using a Mitsubishi Lancer...
There are a couple of muscle cars I always enjoy driving, like the '69 Camaro, but my main problem with them is that they are rarely competitive outside of the muscle car competitions. Or maybe I should say that they are not as competitive as the lightweight Jap cars, as you implied. Yeah, they can keep most of those muscle cars, if I wanted to drive something that handled like a pontoon boat, I would go to the river.

I'd like to see the Carbon R Skyline from GT4 make an appearance on this game {or on GT5} though. That was easily my favorite tuner car from that game and was really one of the most fun and most competitive non-racing Jap cars from that game. I'm also hoping that they do not include nitrous boost this time around. That turned races into jokes more often than not.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:35 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 05:35 PM #19 of 34
OK, so having installed the bloody game, I decided I'd try giving it a go and an update is available - one that 'could' result in the loss of save or replay data (er, what?) - so I've got to sit and wait for this to fucking download and install.

CAN I PLAY THE GAME ALREADY, FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Edit: Oh god, it's taken about 5 minutes and the download bar is at about 5%. Someone shoot me already. Time to go play Xbox then.

Additional Spam:
"An error occurred during download... download failed"

FUCK YOU THEN PROLOGUE, FUCK YOU SIDEWAYS.

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Apr 3, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 02:34 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 08:34 PM #20 of 34
Choose UPnP Mode 2. It worked for me that way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2008, 11:31 PM #21 of 34
Finally got the update to install and finally had a quick race. Bought me a red Mazda RX-8 as my starting car. First impression would be: hot damn it's a good looking game.

How ya doing, buddy?
aesop

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:20 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2008, 02:20 PM #22 of 34
Hm, it's looks pretty phenomenal, but after watching the intro I swear I was bored within half an hour. I haven't played a Gran Turismo since A-Spec, so maybe I was hoping for something more engaging. But no, I’m just not clicking with this franchise like I used to. I feel like all the time and effort that went into the tuning and handling of the cars is wasted on me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:26 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2008, 02:26 PM #23 of 34
I feel like all the time and effort that went into the tuning and handling of the cars is wasted on me.
I'm not sure if it's the same as what you meant, but I just can't play this series anymore either. I could only play it to a limited extent anyway... because I don't really find the tuning part to be interesting. I like the driving, but you need to tune and modify your car to win. If it were a bit less complex, I'd be cool with that... but they would lose their core fanbase.

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:52 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2008, 02:52 PM #24 of 34
I wasn't 100% I'd enjoy the Gran Turismo series still, but I'm finding that I'm rather liking Prologue. Firstly, the graphics are ridiculously good, but there's also a lot of incidental detail that makes the tracks feel alive when you're racing around them.

I'm loving the addition of the in-car view. I like the feel of racing from an in-car view, and not only do the ones I've seen so far look brilliant, but they also work well (some recent titles, such as DiRT, have had far too cluttered interiors that made it next to impossible to see the track from).

One noticeable improvement I'd point at is the opposition AI. There's still an element of them sticking towards the racing line, but not if they want to overtake, they actually seem to jostle for position now. And with up to 16 cars on track as well, there's often a bit more of that going on.

I've given online play a go too and was impressed by the lack of lag, and how quickly it found races. However, they've included collisions, which makes sense, but the problem is that people just cheat. I spent an entire lap avoiding hitting anyone, overtaking properly and got into 2nd position, then got rammed on a corner, which made me spin out. It's an issue with all current racing games, and one that seriously puts me off online modes of racing games.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aesop

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:30 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2008, 05:30 PM #25 of 34
there's also a lot of incidental detail that makes the tracks feel alive when you're racing around them...
I've never had that 'alive' feeling with Gran Turismo, or probably any driving sim actually. For all the detail that goes into it visually, it's still felt like a dead and uninteresting surrounding to be in. No real sense of excitement or life, and the AI in the past didn't really do anything significant to make themselves known either. From what I've played of Prologue thus far, it doesn''t feel like much has changed.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Prologue) UPDATE HAS FAILED