Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What OS are you running?

blackstripe
Wark!

Member 797

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:18 PM #26 of 142
I'm running Windows XP SP2 at the moment, but I'm really excited for the release of Vista later in the year. I also can't wait for Office 12! Despite the negative things people say about Microsoft, the company does have some truly innovative concepts this time around. The new interface, while resource intensive, looks to make using a computer much more streamlined. Here's an article that summarizes some of the pros and cons of Windows Vista:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...1740&ncid=1729

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:21 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:21 PM #27 of 142
Originally Posted by blackstripe
I'm running Windows XP SP2 at the moment, but I'm really excited for the release of Vista later in the year. I also can't wait for Office 12! Despite the negative things people say about Microsoft, the company does have some truly innovative concepts this time around. The new interface, while resource intensive, looks to make using a computer much more streamlined. Here's an article that summarizes some of the pros and cons of Windows Vista:

I'll try Vista once all the dust settles and CPU Magazine and GFFers can give my some hard facts and opinions of how the final code works (that and when I get a newer PC).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:47 PM #28 of 142
Quote:
Until they port foobar2000, EAC, Kega Fusion... etc. Over to Linux, I'm using Windows XP SP2. With the right tweaking it can *almost* be as lean as Win2k SP4
You really are closed-minded, aren't you?
First, why should those programs be ported when OSS-equivalents exist? wxmusik, amarok, muine, and several other programs function similarly to foobar2000; grip is (IMO) superior to EAC, as it's got less clutter in the configuration and runs much faster for me; no idea about Kega Fusion. Also, Windows XP, when I ran it, was leaner than Windows 2000. :P

Quote:
I'd dualboot, but my HDD space is low and I don't want either OS fiddling with the DST (daylight savings time) settings, they'll cancel each other out. Though I might try a Linux Live CD...
Good for you. You do realise DST settings relate to your OS' configuration, and is not controlled by your BIOS?

Quote:
If someone could make a port of Win98SE (and Win2k/XP) that would run well under Linux, I'd finally be able to give my illegitimate copy of Win XP the boot, but alas no one has a good system of running ALL DOS/Win9x/WinNT programs under Linux for me (VMWare is too damn slow).
That's got to be the most unfounded thing I've ever heard on GFF. "Porting" an OS would be impossible, as it would become an entirely different OS. Also, have you heard of DosBox and Wine? They do exactly what you want. In addition, VMWare's only as slow as you make it, though if your computer is weak, it'll be slow no matter what you do.

As a fun fact, foobar2000 runs perfectly in wine, and EAC is still mostly functional under it.

Also, why are you posting a reply "I'll do [x] when [y]" to everyone? It's annoying.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««

Last edited by Duminas; Mar 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:57 PM #29 of 142
Originally Posted by Duminas
You really are closed-minded, aren't you?
First, why should those programs be ported when OSS-equivalents exist? wxmusik, amarok, muine, and several other programs function similarly to foobar2000; grip is (IMO) superior to EAC, as it's got less clutter in the configuration and runs much faster for me; no idea about Kega Fusion. Also, Windows XP, when I ran it, was leaner than Windows 2000. :P

Good for you. You do realise DST settings relate to your OS' configuration, and is not controlled by your BIOS?

That's got to be the most unfounded thing I've ever heard on GFF. "Porting" an OS would be impossible, as it would become an entirely different OS. Also, have you heard of DosBox and Wine? They do exactly what you want. In addition, VMWare's only as slow as you make it, though if your computer is weak, it'll be slow no matter what you do.

As a fun fact, foobar2000 runs perfectly in wine, and EAC is still mostly functional under it.

Also, why are you posting a reply "I'll do [x] when [y]" to everyone? It's annoying.
DOSBox has similar results to running DOS games under VMWare. Though if you could find me a link to running Wine under Damn Small Linux, I'd be glad to give that a try. Foobar2000 under the rock solid Linux sounds very appealing, though I still don't trust running EAC under Wine yet (call me pessimistic), I don't know how Linux handles CD-ROM commands.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:09 PM #30 of 142
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
DOSBox has similar results to running DOS games under VMWare. Though if you could find me a link to running Wine under Damn Small Linux, I'd be glad to give that a try. Foobar2000 under the rock solid Linux sounds very appealing, though I still don't trust running EAC under Wine yet (call me pessimistic), I don't know how Linux handles CD-ROM commands.
While I will not attest that DOSBox is perfect, it is in 98% of the cases I hear about. What super-obscure games do you want to play that fail to run well in DOSBox? (I've never had trouble, and that's with something like 150 games.)

Also, what on earth does, "I don't know how Linux handles CD-ROM commands" mean? Could you elaborate a bit? As far as I've been able to tell over the years I've used Linux (or Unix, for that matter), it handles CD-ROM commands much like any other OS, unless I've been missing something. (Sure, the underlying code is different, but the same effects occur.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:14 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:14 PM #31 of 142
Originally Posted by Snowknight
While I will not attest that DOSBox is perfect, it is in 98% of the cases I hear about. What super-obscure games do you want to play that fail to run well in DOSBox? (I've never had trouble, and that's with something like 150 games.)

Also, what on earth does, "I don't know how Linux handles CD-ROM commands" mean? Could you elaborate a bit? As far as I've been able to tell over the years I've used Linux (or Unix, for that matter), it handles CD-ROM commands much like any other OS, unless I've been missing something. (Sure, the underlying code is different, but the same effects occur.)
I meant for Linux it doesn't support ASPI (to my knowledge), which is what EAC prefers to use (call me paranoid of ripping stablity, I'm an Audiophile). Also DOSBox runs very slowly under my current PC. Duke Nukem 3D doesn't even get 1fps when I run it (DOOM commonly uses 100% CPU time and freezes Windows)!

FELIPE NO
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:29 PM #32 of 142
ASPI !== ultimate ripping security.

Things can be ripped 'excellently' with things like grip on Linux. As a matter of fact, you don't even need ASPI on Windows: an ASPI layer only provides a standard method of communication between the SCSI/ATAPI host adapter and the devices on it, which may or may not result in more desirable performance.

Also, what version of DOSBox have you tried D3D on? It works fine with 0.63 (for me, anyway).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zio
I'm so cool, I got my own castle.

Member 456

Level 19.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:35 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:35 PM #33 of 142
I've been running Win ME for the past 6 or so years and I really like it. I never had problems with it like people keep on telling me how ME sucks and all.(Though I do notice when I Play my machine, I have to rebort every four or so hours depending on the game and etc. Unlike my friend's machine on XP...)

But I am going to get XP as soon as I buy a new machine during the summer... I'll porblay make a thread on which XP to get so this thread doesn't get derailed.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Originally Posted by Zio
Heh, heh, heh. Now, now. That's the expression I want to see! A face filled with pain and anguish, begging fearfully for help, a face quivering with anger! Go, on! Get angry! Suffer! Be sad! That would truly be the ultimate offering to me and my great god!
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:37 PM #34 of 142
XP SP2. I fooled around with Vista Beta 2 in fall last year but lost interest fast as everything so so much slower and my 5.1 sound wouldn't work.

I've also been known to dabble in teh loonicks (Mandrake/Mandriva, particularly), but Windows XP truly is a superior operating system.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:49 PM #35 of 142
Originally Posted by Snowknight
ASPI !== ultimate ripping security.

Things can be ripped 'excellently' with things like grip on Linux. As a matter of fact, you don't even need ASPI on Windows: an ASPI layer only provides a standard method of communication between the SCSI/ATAPI host adapter and the devices on it, which may or may not result in more desirable performance.

Also, what version of DOSBox have you tried D3D on? It works fine with 0.63 (for me, anyway).
I actually have a slow 700MHz PC. And it recommends a fast (I'm sure 3GHz is high, but I don't even have 1/4 of that) PC, I just can't compete with the high system requirements. I mainly run DOOM, Duke3D, Dungeon Keeper, Sim City 2000 amoung others when I play DOS games.

Most amazing jew boots
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:53 PM #36 of 142
I'm running Windows 98SE. It's pretty sad, really. The computer started out with Windows ME, and when that eventually crapped out, I had XP for 30 days until it stopped working. I couldn't afford to buy anything, so I just had my aunt install Windows 98 on it.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:58 PM #37 of 142
Originally Posted by Dalkaen
I'm running Windows 98SE. It's pretty sad, really. The computer started out with Windows ME, and when that eventually crapped out, I had XP for 30 days until it stopped working. I couldn't afford to buy anything, so I just had my aunt install Windows 98 on it.
Actually Win98SE is not a bad OS as far as pre-Win2k is concerned. It's by far the best Win9x OS you can get. The only real disadvantages would be the lack of stability/security and the fact most newer programs won't run (the big upside is Win98 has reallly low system requirements). About WinXP, if your copy was legit, you should have activated it. If it wasn't, you should just pick up the Corporate Edition, which is on almost any site that has Windows torrents.

Dalkaen

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:02 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:02 AM #38 of 142
Actually Win98SE is not a bad OS as far as pre-Win2k is concerned. It's by far the best Win9x OS you can get. The only real disadvantages would be the lack of stability/security and the fact most newer programs won't run (the big upside is Win98 has reallly low system requirements). About WinXP, if your copy was legit, you should have activated it. If it wasn't, you should just pick up the Corporate Edition, which is on almost any site that has Windows torrents.
I couldn't activate it because it had already been activated on another computer. It just wouldn't let me do it, because that's not allowed, apparently. Back then, I don't think I knew that BitTorrent even existed, so that wasn't an option.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:10 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:10 PM #39 of 142
I couldn't activate it because it had already been activated on another computer. It just wouldn't let me do it, because that's not allowed, apparently. Back then, I don't think I knew that BitTorrent even existed, so that wasn't an option.
Well if you're happy with Windows 98SE, I wouldn't change anything, sometimes keeping things the same is a good thing (provided you have no major gripes about using Win98).

FELIPE NO
phoenixdude24
Wark!

Member 859

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:13 AM #40 of 142
dual booting:
XP Media Center Edition 2005
Vista Build 5270

Surprising the vista build is stable for me, the only real problem i'm having is with my Audigy 2 sound card, which is a known problem.

Dalkaen

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:17 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:17 AM #41 of 142
Well if you're happy with Windows 98SE, I wouldn't change anything, sometimes keeping things the same is a good thing (provided you have no major gripes about using Win98).
The gripes I have likely stem from my other specifications, and have little to do with the OS. But I really don't know. 128 MB RAM, 800 MHz processor. And my pitiful 19 GB hard drive. Not exactly good.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:25 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:25 PM #42 of 142
The gripes I have likely stem from my other specifications, and have little to do with the OS. But I really don't know. 128 MB RAM, 800 MHz processor. And my pitiful 19 GB hard drive. Not exactly good.
According to your specs Windows 2000 would work wonders for you (I run XP on a 700MHz with 128MB RAM, Win2k would run even better). As long as you don't run DOS or old Windows programs (old meaning Windows 3.1), it should run fine for you.

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:02 AM #43 of 142
On BigShell I'm running Gentoo Linux with KDE, and dual-booting Windows XP Home for high-end gaming (though Linux works fine for most emulators and it also has a huge selection of independent games).

I've also got Gentoo running on OuterHeaven which is a Powerbook G3 Lombard (1999). Found a nice, little window manager called wmi that lets you use the keyboard for everything, which is great because I hate using a trackpad.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Macro
kami no itte

Member 724

Level 2.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:25 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:25 AM #44 of 142
I'm using Windows XP SP 1, and this desktop will remain running on it for some time. This summer, however, I'll buy a new Mactel laptop, which will be running OS X Tiger, of course.

listening stats / trance productions / blog
gffing since march 2002... intermittently
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:02 AM #45 of 142
Originally Posted by blackstripe

I'm gonna call bullshit on you here.
This is advertising, and I hope your post gets deleted. A pathetic PR stunt.
Yes, I am being crude and uncivilized here, but you sir take the fucking cake. Even fanboys of Microsoft can keep their sperm inside their person while discussing the various virtues of the Windows OS. You are probably paid to do this, and it is fucking sickening.

That said, I have dual boot for Debian 3.11 and Windows XP SP1. My eventual goal is to rely solely on linux distros. It's not quite feasable right now because I'm still learning (took me 4 hours to install KDE when it turns out all I needed was apt-get install kde ). Once I get the hang of Debian and CLI, I think I'll be switching forever. For now though, XP is where it's at.

RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:53 AM #46 of 142
yes neus, i thought he was a bit overenthusiastic about office 12 too....

i'm running windows xp sp1. i really don't like sp2- it fucked around with zonealarm and internet access, and kept saying my antivirus is out of date, which it isn't.

anyway, i'm not looking forward to vista and i'm not trying to get out of using windows-- i have too many programs that are rooted in what i'm doing. from the 20 or so winamp plugins that i rely on for music formats to the 3 programs i use to develop music / software in DOS, i can't switch. well, i guess i could, but it'd be painful and annoying, which i don't want.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:37 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:37 PM #47 of 142
Currently running Windows XP Pro, but will probably try out Ubuntu Linux on a laptop soon.

FELIPE NO

Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:17 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 07:17 PM #48 of 142
I'd try out linux, but the first thing I'd do is look for tools / programs to allow me to run windows programs. I don't ecounter any problems with windows at all - any problems or crashes for me are caused either by 3rd party drivers or programs. And those happen extremely rarely.

So I'll stick with my XP SP1 and be happy with it.

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:23 PM #49 of 142
IMO, trying to run Windows programs in Linux, while very possible, is somewhat pointless. Many people have taken it upon themselves to write programs to allow them to do what could previously only be done in Windows. You'd be surprised just how many open-source programs do just what you're looking for.

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:50 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 03:50 AM #50 of 142
Agreed.
Linux has been my primary operating system for over two years now and I've come to do everything with it, exept for some things that really need Windows (which is an XP-SP2 I reach via dual boot with Grub). You know, some games, some apps they make me use at college.

The most curious thing about using Linux is, how you whole perception of software gradually changes. It becomes an issue for you wether a program is "open source" or just "freeware". You scratch your head when installing something on Windows by first browsing to its website, download the *.exe, run it, go through the setup and probably clean up after it (you know, those autostart nazis among programs). After a while you have a couple of those fancy command line tricks up your sleeve, not so much because you couldn't do it through graphical/mouse driven means (those days are mostly gone, thank god) but it's just faster.

Well, to balance things out a bit, I think M$ certainly did a lot to push graphical interfaces in general and some of their mantainance progs are easier to use than a command line. But as mentioned before, the last point is gradually fading and the lack of choice and open standards really puts me off by now.

If you feel like trying it, I'd recommend the Ubuntu or SuSE distribution. And it wouldn't hurt to have a friend over with some experience to spare. (I once did this break-in-ritual over phone ... distance call - you get the idea.)

Last edited by Cyrus XIII; Mar 3, 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > What OS are you running?