Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What's some good software for normalizing the volume of a batch of mp3s?

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:45 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 08:45 PM #1 of 9
Cool What's some good software for normalizing the volume of a batch of mp3s?

I'm sure there are many programs that do this, so, if anyone here is using them, which one would you recommend? I need it for the Gamingforce CD Swap. Thanks in advance!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 01:54 PM #2 of 9
MP3gain is something I've started liking since it was suggested to me. It doesn't actually change the original audio in any discernable way. What it really does is adjust the volume that the MP3 is played at. If you really wanted to, you could make every song in your library play at a maximum of a specific decibel level.

Of course, because you might have different genres, piano tracks won't always sound the same volume as hard rock, and so on, so you may have to do some fine tuning. As a whole, it's a pretty pain-free program, though, and you don't have to worry about permanently clipping the source audio.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:18 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 09:18 PM #3 of 9
I'll second MP3gain, its strongest being (in my opinion) the fact, that it does no re-encoding.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:21 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 10:21 PM #4 of 9
But if it doesn't re-encode anything, will it still work if I burn the files to an audio CD?

How ya doing, buddy?
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:10 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 04:10 PM #5 of 9
Yeah it will still work and it keeps the target volume you set it too. It's a great program, highly recommended.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:35 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 04:35 PM #6 of 9
Okay then; thank you, e-buddies. I will try it out!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:32 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 04:32 PM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Yeah it will still work and it keeps the target volume you set it too. It's a great program, highly recommended.
This is wrong.
If you indicate to write only replaygain tags then the authoring software has to honor this tags.
Thats not the case if you let mp3gain modify the gain-value in the mpeg frames, which does in fact alter the audio data stream, but is a lossless process, when you somewhere store the original gain value. Then gain change works everywhere, but is limited to a single setting (compared to three settings when considering real replaygain feature).

FELIPE NO
Maico
─ ─╘Don't rob me of my ─ ─ hate: It's all I have.

Member 4527

Level 17.53

Apr 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:05 AM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 01:05 AM #8 of 9
I tried using MP3gain in the past but it didn't seem to work. What I did would select all the songs that I wanted it to normalize so that I could make a mix CD and then used one of its preset options to normalize all the songs in relation to each other, but it always came out sounding the exact same when I compared the softer songs to the more hard rock songs. What options do you guys use or how to you make it work for you? If you can provide some screenshots that would be helpful too. Thanks.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 11:11 PM #9 of 9
Originally Posted by Maico
I tried using MP3gain in the past but it didn't seem to work. What I did would select all the songs that I wanted it to normalize
replaygain is not normalizing. Read again what replaygain does for you. This is a frequent misunderstanding. If you want to normalize your tracks then use a normalizer, not a replaygain tool.

so that I could make a mix CD and then used one of its preset options
I didn't know that there even existed presets. What kind of presets do you mean?

to normalize all the songs in relation to each other, but it always came out sounding the exact same when I compared the softer songs to the more hard rock songs.
What do you mean? That replaygaining didn't change the output level of the data? Does your player support replaygain tags? Have you thought about direct manipulation of the mpeg stream?

What options do you guys use or how to you make it work for you? If you can provide some screenshots that would be helpful too. Thanks.
I use foobar2000 to replaygain tag my files and then play them in audiophile/album mode. Under gentoo linux I use audacious with bmp-mad, also in audiophile mode.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > What's some good software for normalizing the volume of a batch of mp3s?