Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

6-year old calls 911; dispatcher thinks it's a joke

splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 04:34 PM #26 of 77
As the mayor of detroit, make the punishment of 911 prank phone calling, to be sent to Guantanamo. Or you know... increase the fine.

Most amazing jew boots
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:51 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 03:51 PM #27 of 77
Originally Posted by soniclover
2.The kid called and wasn't even panicking
Where does it say that?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:54 PM #28 of 77
I think he meant..pranking?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 05:55 PM #29 of 77
Did you watch the Video on the link? When he first called, he wasn't "panicky"

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:57 PM #30 of 77
The kid is 6-years old. He has no idea what's going on, he was probably worried, but probably not enough to start panicking like crazy.

Most amazing jew boots
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 06:10 PM #31 of 77
I know, I know. But it still had the potential of being a prank phone call or not very important because he wasn't panicking.

Think of both sides. She most likely has to go through fake phone calls every day. Think of what she has to go through. If it was a fake phone call it would have wasted time that could have been used to save someone in real danger.

I'm not going to condem her and not think of what she has to go through.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tomzilla
Critically Insane

Member 2968

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:12 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 04:12 PM #32 of 77
It's actually best not to panic in these conditions. When you panic, it becomes extremely difficult to communicate. You also become a greater danger to yourself and those around you.

Concerning the article, I feel sorry for the kid. Honestly, concerning the statements about, "The kid didn't even sound panicked!" - So? Does that make it his fault? He didn't know what was happening. All he knew was what his Mother told him: call 9-11 in case of an emergency.

Is the dispatcher at fault? Yes. According to the article, because of her experience, she won't be fired. I understand that pranksters constantly hound 9-11 operators, but after years of experience, you tend to be able to distinguish reality from fiction.

But accidents happen. I don't think she should be fired or sued for everything she is worth. She is suffering right now. That doesn't mean she wasn't at fault and should face justice; the truth is, it was an accident that'll haunt her mind for the rest of her life.

Cut her some slack. She's going through the worst punishment of all.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 06:18 PM #33 of 77
Originally Posted by Tomzilla
It's actually best not to panic in these conditions. When you panic, it becomes extremely difficult to communicate. You also become a greater danger to yourself and those around you.
Let me get this straight with everyone.

I know it's not good to panick in the situation but I was just saying, not panicking gives a better chance for it to be a prank phone call.

I still understand what the women had to go through and I feel sorry for the boy.

How ya doing, buddy?
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:36 PM #34 of 77
A shame for all parties- I agree that if she believed it to have been a prank then at the time she made the right call based on her judgment/experience- of course being wrong is what she has to live with.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:50 PM #35 of 77
Ugh...tragedic
This kind of thing makes me wish that they had some sort of system that could instantly track the number of whoever called 911, and provide further at-a-glance info (eg. family status and age distribution).

How ya doing, buddy?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:53 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 07:53 PM #36 of 77
Uh, how exactly would that lesson the probability of a prank phone call?

Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:51 PM #37 of 77
Geez, that's awful. Everyone loses in this situation

I wonder what's going to happen to both the child and operator. The operator probably has to make decisions like these every day, so I'd imagine that it'll be difficult to "pick and choose."

What I'm a bit confused about is how the little boy got the same operator twice. I'm not familar with the 911 system, but how did he manage to do that?

Most amazing jew boots
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 06:30 PM #38 of 77
I wonder how they are going to "discipline" the operator. Having doubts about a call from a 6-year-old kid is acceptable but at 6 years of age I don't think kids that young can even grasp the idea of a prank call. This incident reminds me of my own city's policy towards alarms where the police won't respond to just an alarm, someone has to call in reporting an incident at the site of the alarm for the police to respond.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ROBOTRON
100% Pure Robot !!!

Member 4055

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:37 PM #39 of 77
I live in Detroit...while tragic, I'm not sure this is something to pursue in courts...if so, the money from the court decision should go to the boy's continued care and proper training of operators and/or the dead woman's favorite charity....not to the greedy family members and the lawyer I saw on the news spot.

FELIPE NO

Fight Like A Robot!
nanashiusako
Good Chocobo

Member 4749

Level 17.91

Apr 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:44 PM #40 of 77
It's sad that this happened. Now that child will not have his mother anymore.... but after reading some of the posts here, I realize that it is true that people are assholes and prank and don't realize that 911 is for emergencies....Too dumb to use a phone book and look up the numbers for less important things, I guess....

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:45 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 07:45 PM #41 of 77
Originally Posted by soniclover
Did you watch the Video on the link?
Oh, I didn't notice the video. =P

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 02:20 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 11:20 PM #42 of 77
I pretty much ignored anyone siding or semi-siding with this female operator.

Where I come from, Regardless of whether its a prank or not, Police WILL show up. If it is a prank, they'll discpline you accordingly in person.

I feel bad for this little boy, He didn't know what was going on. The lady on the other line sounds like a total bitch. It's not a matter of her being stressed on the job from other prank calls, if someone says they need help: You help them anyway. If it is a prank, you send the police there anyway.

The operator was wrong. She wasn't doing her job properly. I don't care one way or the other, that's plain wrong.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 11:52 PM #43 of 77
It's just like that here Devo. I went to dial 611 I think it was and hit the 9 by accident on my cellphone. Police showed up no more than 10 minutes later. I don't know where you're from honestly, but I suppose in more quiet/expensive suburban areas like Long Island (where I live), police don't have as much work as they would in a bigger (and I say this without knowing first hand but I get this impression) crime filled city like Detroit.

I still say though, The lady shouldn't have been that rude. She just had an attitude. She could've at least handed the phone over to someone else, she comes off increibly bitchy for someone who's job is to try to calm people down and let them know help is on the way.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 02:57 AM #44 of 77
It's this simple.

You lose more by not taking the call seriously, than taking it seriously and sending out help to a prank.

If it's a prank call, then so be it. They can immediately go back to their stations, but if it's not taken seriously, then someone can lose their life. As they did here.

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:03 AM #45 of 77
They shouldn't even ask to elaborate. The kid is 6 and problem was nervous and at a loss for words.

You send out help IMMEDIATELY, and if it's a prank, then big deal. They go right back to their stations.

There is so little to lose, by going out just to make sure, and so much to lose by not taking the call seriously.

The woman should quit her job. If I made a mistake that big, then I'd quit. It's a dissevice not to.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 12:13 AM #46 of 77
I agree with what you both are saying. 100 Percent.

As far as I see it, there's no reason not to send someone out.

I know it's not the coolest thing to do to judge someone but judging by this ladies attitude and tone in the call, she isn't out to help people really. This is just a job for her. In her case, I would be worried about plain losing my job or money, which will ultimately happen to her or whatever branch operates that line so I would send out a dispatcher anyway.

There's no right in what she did and how she handled the situation. I'm suprised she isn't fired just because of her seniority. I'm more suprised she made it to a point where she has seniority with an attitude like hers.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:18 AM #47 of 77
That's true, but in life/death situations, every second is invaluable. You need a help team there ASAP. You can't even waste a second of time.

If a person needs to be revived, there is a small window of time before they can't be brought back.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 08:58 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 06:58 AM #48 of 77
Well, let's just hope that if people hear about this and have done prank calls to 911 in the past, that they refrain from doing so in the future. Parents hearing about this could also try to put more emphasis in telling their kids that 911 is an important tool and is not to be fooled around with. Maybe it's a little too optimistic to expect that, but who knows.

Most amazing jew boots
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:34 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 07:34 AM #49 of 77
Originally Posted by DragoonKain
You send out help IMMEDIATELY, and if it's a prank, then big deal. They go right back to their stations.

There is so little to lose, by going out just to make sure, and so much to lose by not taking the call seriously.
Very True! Though i can understand how it can be a big deal if officers waste
time checking out a prank call.. I still believe it's better to check regardless.
It was stated earlier that they can't have police going out to investigate calls
because they might be pranks and it'll waste time from checking out REAL calls...
This sounds like maybe there's a lack of police there then... Couldn't this be
fixed with more officers on the job?

Personally, i called 911 once when someone tried to attack us and break out
windows while at work. I was pretty panicked and the operator told me
to CALM DOWN and explain to her the situation so should could understand it.

I feel so sorry for the child... The relatives must be restless right now..

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by DjMeas; Apr 10, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
DCII764II00
Autumn Reign

Member 934

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 06:22 PM #50 of 77
Geez..
That's horrible.. These are the people that regardless if it's a joke or not, send out help because.. On TV. They tell the kids, "If you need help, dial 911" who else is he gonna call?

AT the same time, there was a recent study done, that many people are using 911 services for the most rediculous reasons.. One guy wanted to know the directions to get to his desired destination!

So in retrospect.. It's awful what happend, the lady should be fired, but knowing she could possibly be the reason why a life wasn't saved .. that's a lot to carry.

She sholdn't be fired.. Come to think of it, if an incident like this were to happen again, I doubt she would even consider it a joke at all and send out help.

.dc

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > 6-year old calls 911; dispatcher thinks it's a joke