Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Bibble
I read the bible + Go to church 16 16.33%
I don't read the bible but I go to church 14 14.29%
I read the bible but I don't go to church 15 15.31%
I don't read the bible and I don't go to church 53 54.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Bible time?

Oric
Syklis Green

Member 1787

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:07 AM #26 of 89
Well, I'm Bahá'í, and church (House of Worship) going isn't really required, there aren't any sermons or church services or such. And the nearest House of Worship is in Chicago.
In regards to reading, there are the writings of Baha'ú'lláh, and the Báb, and those are supposed to be read and studied often, but I don't read them as often as I should.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:11 AM #27 of 89
I love these poll results. GFF doesn't care about God.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:26 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 07:26 AM #28 of 89
Originally Posted by Oric
Well, I'm Bahá'í, and church (House of Worship) going isn't really required, there aren't any sermons or church services or such. And the nearest House of Worship is in Chicago.
In regards to reading, there are the writings of Baha'ú'lláh, and the Báb, and those are supposed to be read and studied often, but I don't read them as often as I should.
Care to elaborate on what you are talking about? I have no idea what Bahá'í is...

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Eleo
I love these poll results. GFF doesn't care about God.
Honestly this doesn't suprise me considering the population of GFF.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice

Last edited by Gumby; Apr 5, 2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 07:43 PM #29 of 89

I usually get all of my information out of playing as Jesus Christ.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Oric
Syklis Green

Member 1787

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 02:22 AM #30 of 89
Originally Posted by Gumby
Care to elaborate on what you are talking about? I have no idea what Bahá'í is...
The Bahá'í Faith is a global religion, founded in the 1800's by a Persian dude named Bahá'u'lláh. There are three basic principles, the oneness of God, the oneness of religion, and the oneness of humanity. We believe that the history of religion is a history of progressive revelations by other founders of religions planned by God. Bahá'u'lláh is the most recent, and most important (to us, at least), but not final. He claimed that his coming was predicted by Christians and Muslims. He wanted to establish a global unity, with peace and harmony.

This means, that unlike some religious groups, we regard other religions as divinely inspired, but they are just outdated according to progressive revelation. This doesn't mean that it's a combination of religions- it's a seperate group.

Most estimates say that there are betweeen five and six million Bahá'ís in the world now. We're very global, with followers from all races, and previous religions. We also aim to eliminate all prejudice and bigotry.

As to the churches, there are the Houses of Worship, of which there are seven, an eighth being designed. But worship and education are not on a large, monastic level. We believe spirituality should be pursued in everyday life, not just the church. That's why there are no sermons, nothing of the sort. Study circles at the local level are popular. There are also local Bahá'í centers. We don't have clergy either.

One of the big books is the one that contains most of the Bahá'í laws- the Kitáb-i-Aqdas ("The Most Holy Book"). These laws are followed as a matter of personal choice. Some of the laws- recite an obligatory prayer every day, pray and meditate every day, don't backbite or gossip, do the fast in March, don't drink or take drugs (unless for medical reasons), don't gamble, and don't be gay. (That last one is changing, though, or has, I'm not sure yet. It's one of those that reflect 1800's Iranian culture...)

As happy and peaceful as we may seem, some people don't like us, namely the Iranian government. According to Wikipedia, over 200 believers have been executed between 1978 and 1998. Many Iranian Bahá'ís aren't allowed to hold government jobs, go to university, have had their homes ransacked, and sent to prison for engaging in study circles.

Woo, that was a bit long. But there you go.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 03:54 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 12:54 AM #31 of 89
I read the bible fairl often, mainly the new testament. I like the 4 gospels, and Acts. I think most the important stuff is in these 5 books...

I used to go to church fairly often, but not any more. I feel that alot of "christains" twist the words of the bible to fit their own agenda. I also seems to me like alot of people think they are good chirstians just because they attend church on a regular basis. I however feel that being a good christain means taking Jesus's teachings to heart. It seems to me that Jesus was all about being forgiving, non-judgmental, and loving people.

Wow, I'm getting pretty tired (it's 2AM here), so that last paragraph probably didn't make much sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like the attitude that most christains take toward the religon, and I think I'm better off interpreting the bible myself... therefore I don't go to church anymore because it was making me uncomfortable.

FELIPE NO
Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 04:10 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 10:10 AM #32 of 89
I'm not religious so I don't go to church or anything, but I do read the Bible from time to time, if only so that I can have a clue what I'm talking about when discussing religion.

Those references are good to have because whether you're religious or not, Christianity is a part of our history and culture that cannot be obliterated. You have to know about these things if you're studying music or art history, for example (which I am).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 05:30 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 12:30 PM #33 of 89
I read the bible (and finished it), but don't go to church. No idea why, really - it's not a requirement, I guess.

Originally Posted by David4516
I think most the important stuff is in these 5 books...
How about Revelation?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 05:58 AM #34 of 89
I have no idea what Bahá'í is...
"Sounds pretty neat" - Konane

Gotta love Wikipedia.

Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:20 AM #35 of 89
I actively go to church and take part in a lot of the youth programs.

I read the Bible, only very occassionally though, very. I mainly read my Daily Bread book that was given to me.

Most amazing jew boots

oh my gawddd
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:25 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 03:25 PM #36 of 89
I've never read the bible and i don't intend to. I've only ever been read extracts from the bible by force in R.E. I've also never been to Church besides for weddings and funerals. I never ever intend to go to mass in my life.

Yeah, i'm kinda anti-religion...

Cheers B4!
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:33 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 07:33 AM #37 of 89
I go (more like forced by my family) to church to get supposed browny points with God, but I haven't cracked open the Bible for about a good 1 1/2 years. I used to be quite fervant with reading it devotionally almost every night during university, but now I just don't have time nor do I bother with it. *Boring* Yawn. I personally find the 4 Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) and the Revelation probably the most interesting. The first few chapters of Genesis and Exodus are interesting reads too, but I find the rest very dry.

- What we all do best -
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:39 AM #38 of 89
I've read the Bible and I'm working on The Koran and a few others. I also try to go to church every week, but sometimes I don't. I don't see it as a serious requirement, though.

I never thought I'd meet a Baha'i practitioner, though. Interesting.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:48 AM #39 of 89
Originally Posted by Oric
The Bahá'í Faith is a global religion, founded in the 1800's by a Persian dude named Bahá'u'lláh. There are three basic principles, the oneness of God, the oneness of religion, and the oneness of humanity. We believe that the history of religion is a history of progressive revelations by other founders of religions planned by God. Bahá'u'lláh is the most recent, and most important (to us, at least), but not final. He claimed that his coming was predicted by Christians and Muslims. He wanted to establish a global unity, with peace and harmony.

This means, that unlike some religious groups, we regard other religions as divinely inspired, but they are just outdated according to progressive revelation. This doesn't mean that it's a combination of religions- it's a seperate group.

Most estimates say that there are betweeen five and six million Bahá'ís in the world now. We're very global, with followers from all races, and previous religions. We also aim to eliminate all prejudice and bigotry.

As to the churches, there are the Houses of Worship, of which there are seven, an eighth being designed. But worship and education are not on a large, monastic level. We believe spirituality should be pursued in everyday life, not just the church. That's why there are no sermons, nothing of the sort. Study circles at the local level are popular. There are also local Bahá'í centers. We don't have clergy either.

One of the big books is the one that contains most of the Bahá'í laws- the Kitáb-i-Aqdas ("The Most Holy Book"). These laws are followed as a matter of personal choice. Some of the laws- recite an obligatory prayer every day, pray and meditate every day, don't backbite or gossip, do the fast in March, don't drink or take drugs (unless for medical reasons), don't gamble, and don't be gay. (That last one is changing, though, or has, I'm not sure yet. It's one of those that reflect 1800's Iranian culture...)

As happy and peaceful as we may seem, some people don't like us, namely the Iranian government. According to Wikipedia, over 200 believers have been executed between 1978 and 1998. Many Iranian Bahá'ís aren't allowed to hold government jobs, go to university, have had their homes ransacked, and sent to prison for engaging in study circles.

Woo, that was a bit long. But there you go.
This actually sounds like a really interesting religion. Is it very popular in the United States? Are there any associations here in the US? I'd love to read more on this one. I've never really bumped into a religion which embraced these values.

FELIPE NO
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 02:14 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 03:14 PM #40 of 89
Originally Posted by Spatula
I go (more like forced by my family) to church to get supposed browny points with God, but I haven't cracked open the Bible for about a good 1 1/2 years. I used to be quite fervant with reading it devotionally almost every night during university, but now I just don't have time nor do I bother with it. *Boring* Yawn. I personally find the 4 Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) and the Revelation probably the most interesting. The first few chapters of Genesis and Exodus are interesting reads too, but I find the rest very dry.
Have you read through some of the historical Old Testament books, like the Chronicles? There is actually quite a bit of interesting stuff in there which is not usually mentioned elsewhere.

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 01:30 PM #41 of 89
I've read the New Testament all the way through twice, and bits and pieces more times than that (like the Gospels...those are pretty good reading). I took a class on the Gospels last semester, as well as an English class that examined the Bible as literature and not solely on religious merit. That was fun. I've read most of the Old Testament, but I find Leviticus and Chronicles far too boring to make it all the way through.

And I go to church every week. I feel like I have an added dimension of caring about life because of religion, and going to church helps me to be in a constant state of examining my beliefs rather than blindly following them or just forgetting why I follow them.

Gr|M
Maestro

Member 2175

Level 13.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 04:15 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 03:15 PM #42 of 89
I am not religious at all. I've read parts of the Bible , and many other religious scriptures and I honestly think that if things continue the way they are going now that these views of faith and especially Christian, Judiac, and Muslim faiths will be the downfall of all of us. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by Gr|M; Apr 5, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 05:00 PM #43 of 89
I went to a Catholic elementary school, from kindgergarten up through 6th grade. I haven't been to church since, and I'm eighteen now. In my elementary school we had "religion" class every day and went to church once or twice a week during a school day. I never had a problem with it or anything, but I never felt an especially strong connection to any of it, either. No one in my family is especially religious, so it's never been pushed on me.

I suppose I just don't find the idea of God very appealing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:11 PM #44 of 89
I've read parts of the Bible some time ago, mostly because I was curious. I was born a catholic and went to a catholic high school, but I'm hardly catholic. I'm not a big fan of organized religions, so the Bible doesn't mean much to me. To tell the truth, my views on religions and their holy texts are more like those of Rousseau or Paine. That also answers the question as to whether or not I go to church.

Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:39 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 04:39 AM #45 of 89
You know that you don't have to be a part of organized religion to be religious, right?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 10:15 PM #46 of 89
Well, i guess if you wana be technical, i read the Bible at church, and church School...and remeber. i dont know the verses or anything like that...remeber, i dont read the Bible too much, but when ever people gather in His name it is church so if you sit down to pray with some one else you are technicaly going to church too, so yeah, im sure we all go to church and we all read out Bibles some, if not in our spair time we read then at church...so yeah, just a thought

Last edited by aku; Apr 5, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:18 PM #47 of 89
Well, any religion that has a holy text is probably an organized one, since the books are generally assembled by, you know, religious authorities of some kind.

I spend maybe 1/2 an hour a week poking through Bible passages for one reason or another. There was a time when it was a lot more important to me, but now I mostly value it for its tangible worth as a cultural history and a moral yardstick. Of course, when I was going through my little phase, I did read the whole damned thing, which puts me in the position of having read more of the Bible than Drex has. That's kind of uncomfortable for me.

I've only been inside a church thrice in my life, twice as part of the staff for a charity event and once to give blood. I don't have anything against them, but to me they seem like such sad places. Nearly empty 6 days of the week and obsessed with icons instead of truthseeking.

How ya doing, buddy?
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:33 PM #48 of 89
You know that you don't have to be a part of organized religion to be religious, right?
Assuming that by that you mean I don't have to believe in a set of defined traditions, customs, rules and scriptures, as well as a particular god recognized by a group of people, this essentially being my definition of "organized religion", in order to be religious, that is, believe in something called "god" or "gods", then this is essentially what I said my point of view was. I've given Thomas Paine as an example of a view somewhat similar to mine; he happened to dislike every "church" he knew of, while still being a firm believer in a form of deity. I do not necessarily believe in god, but his views of organized religion and holy scriptures are very similar to mine.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:56 PM #49 of 89
Technically, this is false.

The word "religious" literally means "of and from religion". Religion is defined by organized worship, so therefore one actually does need to be involved within organized religion to be "religious".

The counter to this term is "spiritual". You may share the same exact belief set as any organized religion you prefer, but remain functionally independent of that religion's worldly activities. It's not so much the beliefs which define modern religion, but the rituals and customs each has. Without these, there'd be no truly discernable lines drawn between most branches of Christianity.

Those who forsake the organized aspects of religion simply aren't "religious" by virtue of their own self-imposed exclusion. It is often the case some accept the spiritual beliefs of the faith,or aspects of numerous ideologies, but don't appreciate the organized environments they otherwise entail. I know I'm this way.

It's a lot like the rule that states rectangles are squares but squares aren't rectangles. Religious people are almost certainly spiritual but some spiritual folk aren't necessarily religious.

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:44 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:44 AM #50 of 89
Originally Posted by Manis Tricuspis
Of course, when I was going through my little phase, I did read the whole damned thing, which puts me in the position of having read more of the Bible than Drex has. That's kind of uncomfortable for me.
This is where I get to point and laugh at YOU for once. =D

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Bible time?