Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Bibble
I read the bible + Go to church 16 16.33%
I don't read the bible but I go to church 14 14.29%
I read the bible but I don't go to church 15 15.31%
I don't read the bible and I don't go to church 53 54.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Bible time?

Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 04:49 AM #1 of 89
Bible time?

So for those of the GFF community that are religious, how often do you read your bible?

Also for those who are not religious, have you ever taken the time to read the bible? If not, how come?

When I say bible I am referring to the Christian bible, but if you are of another religion state which one and how often you read your holy book.

Also do you actively attend church or not? Explain.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 06:52 PM #2 of 89
I know the story. I'm Jewish, so there's a lot less to read, anyway. I don't actively read it, though.

Also, I go to synagogue twice a year, for Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana. Maybe more, depending on the number of Bnai Mitzvahs that year.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 05:08 AM #3 of 89
I'm with you Capo, I almost never go to church and only on rare occasion (Like a wedding) do I step foot into a church.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:11 PM #4 of 89
I go to church every sunday, but only to run the audio eqiupment. I don't read the bible.

How ya doing, buddy?

Mercury Blue
Here kitty kitty...

Member 595

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 09:15 PM #5 of 89
<-- Jewish. Eh the last time I looked at the torah was...last year. (omg sorry god!!!)
And I haven't been to temple since last summer. Why? I hate my temple, more like the people. Our rabbi is a joke, everyone there is so fake. It is all about how much money you have not religion. I plan to attend some services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur at Chabad than my temple this year. I like it there, it's a lot nicer.

I was speaking idiomatically.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:15 PM #6 of 89
I have read the Bible for both religious reasons (raised Catholic) and for study purposes. I also did the whole Bible study crap when I was a kid, but I don't think that counts.

I neither enjoyed it or believed in it.

I've been to church about a hundred times or so. But having been raised Catholic in New England, our masses were often parsed with English AND Latin.

I never enjoyed church either.

I DO kind of wish I was raised Jewish, if only for the KICKASS TRADITIONS and shit. I spent about a year living with a Jewish family, and man. They were awesome.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:17 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 07:17 PM #7 of 89
What's so much better about being Jewish? Also, just how Jewish was this family. Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, (gulp) Hasidic?

FELIPE NO
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:24 PM #8 of 89
Originally Posted by Capo
What's so much better about being Jewish?
They seem a lot more fun. They actually have a sense of humor about their religion. Or the ones that I went to school with did. And I went to school in a pretty dense Jewish community in town, so.

Quote:
Also, just how Jewish was this family. Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, (gulp) Hasidic?
Reformed. Yea, yea. Go ahead. Laugh. ^_^

But they were active in their temple and they seemed to take religion more lightly. I don't know. It just seemed like they were more GROUNDED. They weren't god-fearing people, but they were a lot more....lighthearted, I guess. I really enjoyed it. It was a nice break from the HEAVY CHRISTIAN perspective.

Also, maybe its because it was more reminiscent of the European family unit. I'm not sure if thats what I liked most, you know? They seemed to really have a good, strong family unit.

But obviously, you can't say it of all Jews. I'm just saying the ones I knew (about two dozen families, mixed of Orthodox, Reformed and Hasidic) were all pretty rockin'. I had some friends over at the Yeshiva too. They were pretty neato. I have no idea what you call those undershirts they wore, and those AWESOME hats and shit. But they were all like "YEA, WE'RE AWESOME. LOOK AT US WITH OUR HATS AND BEARDS." You know. Sense of humor. ^_^

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DeadHorse++
zzzzz,,,,,

Member 4447

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 07:31 PM #9 of 89
I've yet to read the Bible all the way through, but I have read a large portion of it. I also used to attend church. But I stopped attending when it dawned on me that the churches in my area were more about pushing their own political agendas and bashing other religions than anything.

Plus...I just can't blindly follow what's written in the Bible, considering its history. But it does prove as a guidline to follow in regards to its moral stories.

How ya doing, buddy?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:41 PM #10 of 89
Originally Posted by Gumby
I'm with you Capo, I almost never go to church and only on rare occasion (Like a wedding) do I step foot into a church.
Set foot.

Same here.

It used to be that I'd only go to church for Easter and Christmas. Then it became just Christmas. Now, thanks to working the night shift and having a bizarre sleep schedule, I've missed the last two Christmas masses.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 07:41 PM #11 of 89
The undershirt you're talking about is just a more practical form of a Tallit for daily use.

And, yeah, Reform (not Reformed, as my Rabbi once told me. "We're still reforming!" Haha.) Jews are a lot more relaxed about everything, it seems.

Conservative are still a little relaxed, but the main Conservative Rabbi around here is pretty strict, and really, a total douche. There was this co-Rabbi before who worked with him, but he quit because he couldn't stand the other Rabbi. He was this huge, 6'6" 300-some pound guy, with a nice Jew-fro, and a big beard. He was really funny and totally cool. I really liked him, and saw him a lot in the community. Hell, he played on the synagogue basketball team.

And then there are the Orthodox. These guys are fucking SERIOUS about Judaism. Almost like the internet. They go to synagogue everyday, and don't seem as carefree, and never make jokes during services. Plus, the women sit away from the men during their services, which is pretty odd. They're the ones you always see wearing the "undershirts", and kippas, or yamakahs.

The ones with the black hats and suits on all the time are the Hasidic. These are the extremely religious Jews, who adhere to as many commandments as possible. It's totally impractical for today, but they do it somehow. Haven't met many of these guys, but they are even more serious than the Orthodoxes.

As for the kids I have met, the majority of them are Conservative. Considering I went to a private Conservative Jew school for 6 years, this isn't really a surprise. They're your typical American kids for the most part. Some keep kosher, but they are in the minority. Same goes for kippa use.

The reform kids I know are completely "normal", and most of them never go to synagogue, save the so called "High Holidays". There were only a few of them at my school. Still, completely normal. Don't keep kosher. Don't wear kippot.

Orthodox kids are a mixed bunch. There's this kid Benny Schwartz (no relation!) who smokes weed everyday, and has sex regularly. He's not the usual Orthodox, but he's not in some HUGE minority, either. Some are pretty normal, some aren't, but all of them wear Tallits and kippot all of the time, keep kosher, and go to synagogue regularly.

I have never met a hasidic kid, but I see a ton of them around the neighborhood. They dress in all black, wear the hats and tallits, and grow out their sideburns into "peyot". You know the story from there. They're the typical, extremely Jewish kids.

So yeah, that's the little breakdown.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:44 PM #12 of 89
I don't read the Bible as much as I should. I went to Catholic schools all my life until college. I've been a part of a youth group forever too. And I go to mass every Sunday. It's boring as hell, but whatever.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:51 PM #13 of 89
The undershirt you're talking about is just a more practical form of a Tallit for daily use.

And, yeah, Reform (not Reformed, as my Rabbi once told me. "We're still reforming!" Haha.) Jews are a lot more relaxed about everything, it seems.

Conservative are still a little relaxed, but the main Conservative Rabbi around here is pretty strict, and really, a total douche. There was this co-Rabbi before who worked with him, but he quit because he couldn't stand the other Rabbi. He was this huge, 6'6" 300-some pound guy, with a nice Jew-fro, and a big beard. He was really funny and totally cool. I really liked him, and saw him a lot in the community. Hell, he played on the synagogue basketball team.

And then there are the Orthodox. These guys are fucking SERIOUS about Judaism. Almost like the internet. They go to synagogue everyday, and don't seem as carefree, and never make jokes during services. Plus, the women sit away from the men during their services, which is pretty odd. They're the ones you always see wearing the "undershirts", and kippas, or yamakahs.

The ones with the black hats and suits on all the time are the Hasidic. These are the extremely religious Jews, who adhere to as many commandments as possible. It's totally impractical for today, but they do it somehow. Haven't met many of these guys, but they are even more serious than the Orthodoxes.

As for the kids I have met, the majority of them are Conservative. Considering I went to a private Conservative Jew school for 6 years, this isn't really a surprise. They're your typical American kids for the most part. Some keep kosher, but they are in the minority. Same goes for kippa use.

The reform kids I know are completely "normal", and most of them never go to synagogue, save the so called "High Holidays". There were only a few of them at my school. Still, completely normal. Don't keep kosher. Don't wear kippot.

Orthodox kids are a mixed bunch. There's this kid Benny Schwartz (no relation!) who smokes weed everyday, and has sex regularly. He's not the usual Orthodox, but he's not in some HUGE minority, either. Some are pretty normal, some aren't, but all of them wear Tallits and kippot all of the time, keep kosher, and go to synagogue regularly.

I have never met a hasidic kid, but I see a ton of them around the neighborhood. They dress in all black, wear the hats and tallits, and grow out their sideburns into "peyot". You know the story from there. They're the typical, extremely Jewish kids.

So yeah, that's the little breakdown.
Yea, the reformed people I lived with for a while were wicked lax. They weren't kosher, though the expressed a feeling of guilt or gave off a joke about it now and then.

Typical fat Jewish mother who never cooked for her poor house. Disney-loving, Broadway attending Jews. I love 'em for it. ^_^

The Hasidic dudes were the ones over at the Yeshiva, yea. They literally didn't DRIVE or COOK on the Sabbath. I think thats how you call it - same in Christianity, but a different day, yea?

SEE WHY I WANT TO BE A JEW? ^_^

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:58 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 07:58 PM #14 of 89
Yeah, Sabbath, or the Hebrew, Shabbat. The Torah says you can't do any work then, and this somehow extends to not being able to use ANY electricity, including lights, and cars. Also, it begins sundown Friday night, and ends sundown Saturday night.

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:03 PM #15 of 89
Yeah, Sabbath, or the Hebrew, Shabbat. The Torah says you can't do any work then, and this somehow extends to not being able to use ANY electricity, including lights, and cars. Also, it begins sundown Friday night, and ends sundown Saturday night.
So whats the difference between Shomer Shabbas and Shabbat? If there even IS one? Forgive my spelling errors, if there were any. I am not sure how to spell Shomer Shabbas. ;_;

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:05 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:05 PM #16 of 89
Shomer Shabbas is just the name for the people that keep the Sabbath.

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:09 PM #17 of 89
I don't read the Bible actively now except for looking up quotes to annoy Christians with, but I HAVE read through the entire thing at one time or another.

I stay as far as possible away from churches.

Most amazing jew boots
Blackbord
Banned

Member 4342

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:12 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 10:12 PM #18 of 89
I don't read the Bible. But I go to church every once in a while.

Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 06:20 AM #19 of 89
Yes, I abide by the Sabbath... though I don't see why you couldn't use your car as long as you weren't buying any gas :/

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:21 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:21 PM #20 of 89
It has to do with the sparkplugs making fire. Not sure on the specifics.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 06:23 AM #21 of 89
WHAT? wow... some people take stuff way to far when they really don't need to.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:26 PM #22 of 89
I told you they are only the extreme Jews and are in the minority. They take the Torah at face value, and use it in everything they do.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:36 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 09:36 PM #23 of 89
I'm not religious, but I did read the bible several years ago. I used to get dragged along to church with my parents when I was a kid and didn't really know what it was about, but I stopped when I was around thirteen or fourteen.

Most amazing jew boots
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:40 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 12:40 AM #24 of 89
I don't read the bible as much as I should. I have just heard all the stories so much beforehand that I have little interest in it.
I go to church regularly however. I really enjoy my church in Flint, as I feel that my musical talents are called to serve there, and the work that they do in the community is awesome. Also, the churches that I go to in Grand Rapids are full of great, intelligent, understanding, and kind Christians. (and yes, these are both Baptist churches)

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:06 AM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 10:06 PM #25 of 89
I haven't read the Bible, though I think with all the bits and pieces I've heard over the years, it probably translates into me hearing the entire thing. I wouldn't mind reading it for story inspiration, and especially for a game idea that I have that I hope to flesh later. Plus the Old Testament seems to be filled with some pretty cool, violent and brutal stories.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Bible time?