Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Should we make hotlinking a bannable offense?
Yes, yay for Internet justice! =D 15 31.91%
I really don't care either way. =/ 12 25.53%
No, I <3 destroying people's bandwidth. >=U 9 19.15%
No, I just think it's a bad idea (i.e. I'm a lazy fuck and don't want to get banned). =o 11 23.40%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Should we make hotlinking a bannable offense?

Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 02:08 AM #51 of 53
The problem with hotlinking is it doesn't show an image on certain user's browsers for WHATEVER WACKY REASON THERE COULD BE WITH THAT PERSON'S COMPUTER SYSTEM BROWSER. And when you combine that state of being with moderator/administrator powers, you'd best have that doom song handy from Invader Zim.

So, today, within the remainder of year 2006, and some additional time beyond, hotlinking can be a bannable offense if you piss off the mod/admin who can't see your image. Multiple times.

I also think it's rather ridiculous, but let's just pretend, "What if hotlinking did become a permanent/temporary bannable offense?"

How ya doing, buddy?
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:42 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 08:42 PM #52 of 53
So what I don't understand is how mods are going to know what is hotlink and what is not. The way I see it, they would either ban anyone not linking images from "approved" sites (GFF, Imageshack), but then that would slap those in the face that host from their own private servers. Unless there was a script that would add the URL entered as the homepage in the users' profile, it would be a bit of extra work to make a judgment call on each and every image.

So if you are going to ban hot linking, you might as well just ban people from adding images to posts using the [img][/img] tag, that way, nobody would get mad at being singled out for having a one-off image host.

In all honesty though, I think that unless it is having a negative effect on bandwidth, or webmasters are complaining it shouldn't be a priority.

Originally Posted by Mojouqwe
The problem with hot linking is it doesn't show an image on certain user's browsers for WHATEVER WACKY REASON THERE COULD BE WITH THAT PERSON'S COMPUTER SYSTEM BROWSER. And when you combine that state of being with moderator/administrator powers, you'd best have that doom song handy from Invader Zim.

So, today, within the remainder of year 2006, and some additional time beyond, hotlinking can be a bannable offense if you piss off the mod/admin who can't see your image. Multiple times.

I also think it's rather ridiculous, but let's just pretend, "What if hotlinking did become a permanent/temporary bannable offense?"
Then why not just make it a requirement to place a URL to the image path below every image posted? Granted it probably wouldn't matter either way because that can't see it, but at least they could try viewing the image directly.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:54 AM #53 of 53
Originally Posted by Mojougwe
The problem with hotlinking is it doesn't show an image on certain user's browsers for WHATEVER WACKY REASON THERE COULD BE WITH THAT PERSON'S COMPUTER SYSTEM BROWSER. And when you combine that state of being with moderator/administrator powers, you'd best have that doom song handy from Invader Zim.
So you want to ban people to prevent broken images, is that what you're saying?

At the cost of sounding like a cliche, aren't there better reasons to ban people for?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Should we make hotlinking a bannable offense?