Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Do you want to have a language forum in gamingforce?
Yes 35 62.50%
No 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Petition for Language Forum

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 11:58 PM #1 of 37
Petition for Language Forum

Just wondering, is it allowed to make petition to make new forum? As you aware already, I'm interested in language topic and therefore I made a lot of threads on language-related subject. Since general discussion is general forum, I try to limit making on related subject as much as possible, so I begin to consider, maybe it's necessary to make language forum? What do you think? Considering a lot of people here come across different states, culture, and language, I think making language forum would be good idea.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:11 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 12:11 AM #2 of 37
That's good ideal, instead of "Language Forum", perhaps "Culture Forum" would be better? Maybe we could discuss about urban legends or perceptions of many people toward culture from certain states.

Most amazing jew boots
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 04:35 PM #3 of 37
Voted "Yes". I think it's a good idea, especially for those people who are learning languages, which I'm sure many people do including myself.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:30 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 12:30 AM #4 of 37
Why do you need a whole forum for this? I think something like this could be done easily in a thread.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:06 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 11:06 AM #5 of 37
Linguistics is a huge area of study; you can't discuss the culture of Russia, writing of Japanese characters and English as a second language in one thread any more effectively than you could discuss wrestling, football and poker all in one thread. And basically, your argument can be applied to any forum. Why do we need the kitchen when food can be discussed in general discussion? Why do we need the game music forums, when it could all be discussed in media centre?

I'm not necessarily saying that we need a forum like that (though I personally would like it), but that's why the poll is there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Oct 18, 2006 at 04:09 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:20 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 03:20 AM #6 of 37
The anthropologist votes no on a culture forum, if only because it would drive me psychotic. I don't think we need to split the board up into country divided lines.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:13 AM #7 of 37
I voted yes, but with the assumption that "language" is changed to "culture."
This site needs to have more topics of discussion, if only to liven things up, as it looks like most discussions have been beaten to death(and thus little forum activity).

Most amazing jew boots

galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:18 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 08:18 AM #8 of 37
Originally Posted by Aardork
Linguistics is a huge area of study; you can't discuss the culture of Russia, writing of Japanese characters and English as a second language in one thread any more effectively than you could discuss wrestling, football and poker all in one thread. And basically, your argument can be applied to any forum. Why do we need the kitchen when food can be discussed in general discussion? Why do we need the game music forums, when it could all be discussed in media centre?

I'm not necessarily saying that we need a forum like that (though I personally would like it), but that's why the poll is there.
Well that was kind of the point I was making. I think we already have way too many forums, and we don't need any more.

For example, I'm all for combining all the videogame forums into one, and perhaps making them a subforum of media center.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 09:20 AM #9 of 37
The only problem I see with this, which has been brought up many times before, is that if we have a language forum with threads in other languages then we wouldn't be able to moderate them properly. But at the same time I wouldn't expect a bunch of trolling in German and Japanese either.

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:28 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 06:28 PM #10 of 37
Originally Posted by galen
Well that was kind of the point I was making. I think we already have way too many forums, and we don't need any more.

For example, I'm all for combining all the videogame forums into one, and perhaps making them a subforum of media center.
Ah, well if that's your point then I partially agree. The gaming forums could definitely be combined; each of them alone doesn't really see that much activity.

Though I'd still like to see a culture forum, at least as an experiment.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:34 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 10:34 AM #11 of 37
The gaming forums are a special case though, the place is called GAMINGforce, after all. You think there would be a few more gaming forums when compared to the other major topics, no?

In addition, keeping those seperate prevents fanboy retards from bumping into each other so much. It's bad enough as is, but with a cbonined forum we'd never see the end of it. Besides, I don't want to see the average RPG forum retard trickle into the Window.

Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:19 PM #12 of 37
Originally Posted by Miles
But at the same time I wouldn't expect a bunch of trolling in German and Japanese either.
You should probably just ban me from the forum then.

But that's a definite yes vote from me 8-)

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 PM #13 of 37
btw, how many people are necessary to vote to establish the forum I wonder? Just curious... I see a light of hope here. Lot of people actually supporting this idea, I hope this petition could get the approval from adminstrator.

Last edited by eriol33; Oct 19, 2006 at 05:24 AM.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 11:21 AM #14 of 37
I wouldn't mind a sub-forum for that, considering the fact that there are quite a lot of foreigners lurking around here.

We don't specifically need a forum like that, but I don't see how it could hurt.

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:41 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 01:41 PM #15 of 37
The idea of a Culture forum sounds seducing, while not totally necessary. I personally object to anything else than English becoming the norm in entire threads, though. Discussing in English and giving examples in this or that language, yes. Full non english discussions, no.

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:21 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 08:21 PM #16 of 37
I don't like the idea of yet another forum, because I think we already have too many. If I wouldn't have been visiting GFF for years now, the inredibly huge board index would confuse the hell out of me.

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:13 PM #17 of 37
I'd totally dig a linguistics forum. Big yes from me. =)

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:41 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 06:41 PM #18 of 37
I voted yes, mainly because I think its worth a try. Its always nice to try new ideas, and if it doesn't work out, then drop it. You could always have a trial period of say, a month or so.

Just my two cents.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:49 PM #19 of 37
Originally Posted by Miles
The only problem I see with this, which has been brought up many times before, is that if we have a language forum with threads in other languages then we wouldn't be able to moderate them properly. But at the same time I wouldn't expect a bunch of trolling in German and Japanese either.
Recruit more moderators for specific languages.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:09 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 11:09 AM #20 of 37
Musharraf can moderate German postings, Aardu-chan can moderate a whole bunch of obscure languages, I can moderate Chinese chicken scratches, and everyone on the forum understands Japanese anyway... right?

Right

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:22 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 07:22 PM #21 of 37
I got Hebrew covered.

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 08:53 AM #22 of 37
Well, I think we have moderators for most of the major languages, and I also doubt that there are many people who plan on sneakily trolling in Klingon.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:00 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 01:00 AM #23 of 37
You need french, I've got you covered. If you're going to make a culture forum, might as well have someone with a degree in it around.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:28 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 10:28 AM #24 of 37
If it is in English and renamed Cultural instead of Language I'll support it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:42 AM #25 of 37
Well, I agree it wouldn't be fun if it were a total circle-jerk of people talking in languages you don't understand I do believe there will be discussion in English as well as people practicing either languages they are learning or talking with native or fluent speakers. What's so wrong with that?

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Petition for Language Forum