Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

High School Drop Out

T0X1Qu3
Love Me ~ Kiss Me

Member 2252

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:59 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:59 PM #1 of 39
High School Drop Out

Ok, so I am a high school drop out and have felt pretty much like my life is wasted, but i got my ged and doesnt make me feel much better knowing i did drop out

Are there any other high school drop outs here? When and why?

How does someone cope knowing that they practically screwed up their future career and practically life?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by T0X1Qu3; Mar 8, 2006 at 04:21 AM.
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:12 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 02:12 AM #2 of 39
With a GED, you can still go on to higher education. You may not be confident enough to start by applying to a univeristy, but what's to stop you from going to your local community college to get an Associate's degree or fulfill your general ed requirements there before transferring to a university? Financial aid is available, but you have to initiate the process. It's good that you have realized your past mistakes, but you must also realize there is more than one path to success.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:29 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 07:29 AM #3 of 39
Become a motivational speaker and talk to kids about not dropping out of school!
You could live in a van down by the river!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:37 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 02:37 PM #4 of 39
I may become a high school dropout soon, although my mind is not developed enough to comprehend what that will mean and how it will affect me later on, nor is it interested enough in the real word for me to care. Keep your fingers crossed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:07 AM #5 of 39
Why did you drop out of school? I'd love to hear the reasoning.

My two best friends dropped out, but one of them had a really justified reason. Sarah didn't. But since, she went back, and she makes as much as I do, now.

But seriously - what was your reason to drop out? If it was because high school was just "too hard," you better get used to it.

If it was because of the social pressures, well. It serves a purpose.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:17 AM #6 of 39
Originally Posted by evilboris
I may become a high school dropout soon, although my mind is not developed enough to comprehend what that will mean and how it will affect me later on, nor is it interested enough in the real word for me to care. Keep your fingers crossed.
You're kidding, right?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:04 AM #7 of 39
You can always pick yourself back up and get in the race. Get a GED, go to community college, do well and transfer to a better college. If you can't afford it, take out loans like the rest of us. I'm about 70k in the hole, but it's worth it. It amounts to a couple hundred a month and I make way more than that.

School is not hard. It's just tedious and sometimes requires you to make sacrifices, like swallowing your pride and asking the teacher for extra help. Or doing research online when you can't understand your professor's lecture.

The point is, anyone can do it and should. You live in a very comfortable society that doesn't ask much of you. Go to school, get a job and pay taxes. You could have it much worse.

FELIPE NO
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:09 PM #8 of 39
I have recently joined this scenario, though, I do feel kind of fucking bullshitted that it was my credits that ultamately screwed me over (An example of this: I attended school in the fall, moved after midterms to another school in which the rule is that if one is in thier senior year the graduation requirements are that of the school that one initially transfered from.

old school's reqirements: 24
new school's requirements:20
credits I had: 22

Not to mention that life is kinda fucked up for me at the current moment as it is. *sigh* so near, yet so goddamn far. (As for an equvilent, it's rather out of the question until I get some stability around me, not to mention some money.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 10:32 AM #9 of 39
I almost dropped out of high school. For various reasons. One was health concerns with a staph infection that I got from a major flood disaster. But the real reason was that I thought I was wasting my time. No real critical thought was encouraged or fostered. Why bother if you're just forced to memorize bullshit that you won't bother remembering later? It's quicker and more painless to get a GED.

Regardless my mommy somehow convinced me to stick with it and I've hated and resented her ever since. (Just kidding!) I stuck it out to be with friends, to cause trouble, and later went on to get mono which earned me a delay (vacation!!!!) college plans by a year.

Originally Posted by T0X1Qu3

How does someone cope knowing that they practically screwed up their future career and practically life?
It isn't screwing up your life. It's just taking a different path that's right for you. Don't let people pressure you into thinking that if you don't conform to their standards that you don't have a bright future ahead of you.

There's plenty of jobs that cater to GED/high school graduates. Such as working for the government. (Example: DMV) Pays about as good as a teacher with better benefits and less work. Teachers work longer hours, weekends, and have to go to college. (and usually graduate school after that)

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:58 PM #10 of 39
Originally Posted by Watts
It isn't screwing up your life. It's just taking a different path that's right for you. Don't let people pressure you into thinking that if you don't conform to their standards that you don't have a bright future ahead of you.
Watts, these "people who pressure you" are the ones who are in a position to either hire you or not hire you, and if you think that high school drop-outs don't have a much harder time getting a job than graduates do, you're fooling yourself.

Quote:
There's plenty of jobs that cater to GED/high school graduates. Such as working for the government. (Example: DMV) Pays about as good as a teacher with better benefits and less work. Teachers work longer hours, weekends, and have to go to college. (and usually graduate school after that)
Let me get this straight: They cater to high school drop-outs? Something sounds wrong about that. Why would any organization do that? Also, you say "have to go to college" as if it's some horrible fate worse than death. Even if you have rich parents who are willing to support you for the rest of your life, why wouldn't you want to be educated? Having a proper education does more than just getting people good jobs, it makes one a more interesting and well-rounded person.

Don't be stupid, TOX. Stay in school.

ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:23 PM #11 of 39
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
Don't be stupid, TOX. Stay in school.
I would have been so happy if you had said "be cool, stay in school."

I'm just going to pretend you did >_>

Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:25 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:25 AM #12 of 39
Watts, these "people who pressure you" are the ones who are in a position to either hire you or not hire you, and if you think that high school drop-outs don't have a much harder time getting a job than graduates do, you're fooling yourself.
I'm merely stating the possibilities. Saying your life is over, or worthless because you chose a GED over a high school education is ludicrous.

Let me get this straight: They cater to high school drop-outs? Something sounds wrong about that. Why would any organization do that?
No, it's just the minimum requirements. Ever heard of being 'over-qualified?'. A college education is hardly a guarantee of a stable job anymore. Plus the most lucrative jobs (left) that most GED/high school level education go after (now) are government jobs.

Also, you say "have to go to college" as if it's some horrible fate worse than death.
Didn't mean to imply it that way.

why wouldn't you want to be educated? Having a proper education does more than just getting people good jobs, it makes one a more interesting and well-rounded person.
How do you equate attending school with being a educated and a well rounded person? Pretty elitist statement. That's entirely possible without 'a proper education'. Some of today's (and yesterdays) most "successful" people defied society's expectations.

How ya doing, buddy?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:33 PM #13 of 39
Not saying it can't be done. But why take a chance that you might be one of the rare people who didn't get a good education and defied all the odds to become one of the most successful people, etc. etc., when you can take the tried and true route and be much more assured of success?

I wouldn't recommend that anyone drop out of school. I know there are people who did and ended up just fine, but you have to admit that usually isn't the case.

I also wanted to bring up the point that a lot of people in management positions seek out college graduates (or high school, I guess) not because they know so much more, but because they have demonstrated "stick-to-it-ness" and a sense of reliability and dedication by finishing school.

Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:45 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:45 AM #14 of 39
Not saying it can't be done. But why take a chance that you might be one of the rare people who didn't get a good education and defied all the odds to become one of the most successful people, etc. etc., when you can take the tried and true route and be much more assured of success?
So you want to live your life without taking any risk? How droll.

Also, as I've stated a college education does not insure a life of success anymore. In fact a ever increasing amount of college graduates (in most the western industrialized nations) nowadays are going bankrupt. A disturbingly trend with ever increasing percentiles then what could be termed 'normal'.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone drop out of school. I know there are people who did and ended up just fine, but you have to admit that usually isn't the case.
Depends on the motivation for dropping out. If it's being slothful or laziness then of course that's the usual case. That's not always the case.

What I really was trying to get across is that if you drop out make it for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. Because your goal(s) in life should be taking that next higher step.

I also wanted to bring up the point that a lot of people in management positions seek out college graduates (or high school, I guess) not because they know so much more, but because they have demonstrated "stick-to-it-ness" and a sense of reliability and dedication by finishing school.
Now that's a valid point. But encouraging someone not to drop-out because they'd be a worthless member of society is just plain cruel.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:25 PM #15 of 39
Dropping out won't make you worthless. It's just likely to make you worth less to society. We need more garbage men and burger flippers, etc. than we need people in any other field. The bottom of the pyramid is the largest part of it. If you're comfortable with that, great. If not, you should probably get an education. What you're saying about some people making it without an education is like people who believe they can get in the NBA because they're good at basketball. Good luck and prepare for disappointment.

FELIPE NO
Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 01:11 PM #16 of 39
A good story on this can be found here. All factors should be considered for current and future college students.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ck=1&cset=true

Originally Posted by Minion
Dropping out won't make you worthless. It's just likely to make you worth less to society. We need more garbage men and burger flippers, etc. than we need people in any other field.
The topic is about a high school education vs a GED, because that's the absolute minimum to make a living nowadays. Not "drop-out" and work a minimum wage job.

And America doesn't really 'need' any 'higher' fields, because America can and is outsourcing jobs to India or wherever.... even ones that require higher levels of education. Hence there's a lot more graduates filing bankrupcy early on in their lives. Now, I bet that make's a person feel useless. But dropping out of high school to pursue a GED? Please.

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:57 PM #17 of 39
In my high school years, I just didn't fit in with the academic world. I went through my five years of high school (before it was changed to a four year program), didn't have enough credits due entirely to my own poor behaviour. I had been working for a while, and had a decent job in a factory.

I dropped out, and worked full time. I enjoyed working much more than high school, so that was an easy decision. With the way I was going, I was wasting my time in school, so I worked. Might as well be productive with one's time.

I wrote the GED, it was effortless. I went to a good college, graduated top of my class got diplomas and wrote certifications and am fully qualified to work in my field. I've had decent steady jobs, and do a lot of contract work. I was laid off of my last steady job, continue to work some contracts and am looking for a new full time position.

Dropping out was the right thing to do for me. No regrets whatsoever. I also found that I very much enjoyed the post secondary learning environment, as much as high school seemed tailor made against my type. So with high school, a GED, whatever, try your hand at something new and 'better' if it's what you want. You may still get an education, and may even enjoy it if you give it a shot. There is a world of difference between different schools.

Also, once you graduate from your post secondary, no one will ever know that you didn't graduate high school, as the only education you need list is the highest one that applies. You think they really care where you went to high school if you've got a diploma from post secondary?

Do what's right for yourself. But be sure you know what you are getting into. Everyone likes to think they are special and will be the exception to the rule. If you are considering leaving school out of lazyness or social pressure, then realize that you are more or less admitting defeat. There are exceptions, but most of us aren't such an exception. You are not a unique snowflake.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:13 PM #18 of 39
If it wasn't for girls, I'd quit school.

But, seriously, my reasoning is, why give up something that's free? I don't know about some of you, but if something free is offered to you, (like school, for example), why not take advantage of it?

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:23 PM #19 of 39
Originally Posted by T0X1Qu3
Ok, so I am a high school drop out and have felt pretty much like my life is wasted, but i got my ged and doesnt make me feel much better knowing i did drop out

Are there any other high school drop outs here? When and why?

Don't worry, people who graduate with masters/doctorate heck, even bachelors degrees need people like you to cook food for them at the local ihops or dennys at 12 at night. Or come to the house and clean up the houses as an occupation. Those are productive people, and they play an active role! Without dropouts like you, people who graduate from higher education would be stuck with these roles.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:29 PM #20 of 39
I'm going to be dropping out after this year. It's taken me failing 10th grade three years (in my fourth year of 10th right now) for my mother to believe that I really can not force myself to do work I don't want to. I'm going to get my GED, go to community college for two years, and then transfer to a university for either music (performance or composition, not sure yet) or English.

I don't know what my problem is.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:38 PM #21 of 39
Well the problem is, how do you expect to do well enough at college, when you can't even surpass 10th grade?

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:47 PM #22 of 39
starslight, if you literally can not force yourself to do work you don't want to do, you're going to have major problems when you have to start supporting yourself. How many people do you think really want to get up and go to work every day?

You'll end up on welfare or disability because of an "emotional disorder" or some other bullshit and working people will end up supporting you.

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:59 PM #23 of 39
Originally Posted by starslight
I'm going to be dropping out after this year. It's taken me failing 10th grade three years (in my fourth year of 10th right now) for my mother to believe that I really can not force myself to do work I don't want to. I'm going to get my GED, go to community college for two years, and then transfer to a university for either music (performance or composition, not sure yet) or English.

I don't know what my problem is.
Perhaps you didn't read my post. Lazyness is not a good reason to drop out, at least not if you expect that things are going to get easier. Or perhaps you'd be more accepting if it were phrased, lazyness or a lack of self discipline and responsibility. If you haven't the got the willpower to do, uh, anything you don't want to do, then you are fucked until you get over that.

Unless of course *you* are that unique snowflake.

FELIPE NO
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:59 PM #24 of 39
I like how Alice is predicting your future some how. Hey Alice what am I having for dinner tomorrow?

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:02 PM #25 of 39
Well at the mindset starslight is exhibiting, it is very clear what his perspective is on work. So obviously his route is blatant (unless some stroke of luck like lottery win occurs, but heh...yeah). Kinda like actions have consequences...If you don't work, people who work have to feed your lazy asses.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > High School Drop Out