Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

New PM Popups

Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 03:31 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 03:31 PM #1 of 41
New PM Popups

Could the behavior of private message tracking be modified so that when new messages are read through the pop-up, they are marked as having been read? There's an obsessive email part of me that loves the notification, but doesn't want to read every message twice to get rid of the Unread X in the corner.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 05:21 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 05:21 PM #2 of 41
In your PM window, there are check boxes next to each individual PM. If you have messages you've read through a popup, check them off, then scroll down to the Selected Messages menu at the bottom and select "Mark as read" and click Go.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 07:33 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 07:33 PM #3 of 41
While that is a useful method for removing the Unread tally when messages have piled up, it doesn't cover the main issue, which is messages not being noted as read in the first place. Having not delved into the mechanics of vB, it still does seem like an addition of a bool assignment line item would solve this. It would also stop the same pop-ups occurring multiple times.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 11:11 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 09:11 PM 18 #4 of 41
Having not delved into the mechanics of vB, it still does seem like an addition of a bool assignment line item would solve this.
If you're curious and want to jump into it, here is a schematic of the vBulletin architecture:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Old May 23, 2009, 11:38 PM #5 of 41
I may glance at things in that tiny pop-up but I don't give them the full read until I get to the PM box. In your new IT POPPED UP THEREFORE I READ IT system most of all my PMs would be read and perhaps in a rage of GET OUT OF MY FACE POP-UP I'M TRYING TO READ GOD DAMN IT I'd never read any of my PMs. And that's no good. =I

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 11:40 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 08:40 PM 3 #6 of 41
While that is a useful method for removing the Unread tally when messages have piled up, it doesn't cover the main issue, which is messages not being noted as read in the first place. Having not delved into the mechanics of vB, it still does seem like an addition of a bool assignment line item would solve this. It would also stop the same pop-ups occurring multiple times.
Even if "a bool assignment line item" made sense, it's not as simple as just writing an if statement.

Someone would need to:

- Add a user setting for this. No idea how complicated this is in vBulliten or how often this is done, so it could be anywhere from incredibly easy to a bunch of work (to figure out how this is done, do that, and then figure out what inevitably went wrong along the way)
- Find where in vBulliten the decision is made to see if there are new unread messages when generating a page.
- Read and understand that code.
- Determine if, at that particular point in the code, the necessary variables for accessing the user preferences system have already been set up, and if not, set them up.
- Access the user preference system and check the setting.
- Debug a bunch.

I know nothing about vBulletin either, but I am professional software engineer. When you're working on any large codebase, the hard part is not knowing what line of code to write, but knowing where to put it. And figuring that out can take ages.

Most amazing jew boots
Benjamin please
how's it going

Member 48

Level 16.03

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 11:51 PM #7 of 41
In VB a simple function to add text to a page may very well take kbs of code across several includes files. And then you have to deal with template caching fuckery which jelsoft has never been able to figure out.

FELIPE NO
<a_lurker|laptop> I think your car died too.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 11:52 PM 4 #8 of 41
Instead of Araes' feature request, I'm requesting that his PM privs be removed. That way he'll never have to worry about this issue coming up!

see, good programmers solve problems, but great programmers avoid them in the first place.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 24, 2009, 01:40 AM Local time: May 23, 2009, 10:40 PM 2 #9 of 41
I got a better solution than ramoth's monstrosity. Add a button to the pop up window that says "Mark as Read & Close". Then you can use the X if you just want to close the window but keep it unread, or click the "Mark as Read & Close" button if you want it to do such.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2009, 01:55 AM Local time: May 24, 2009, 02:55 PM #10 of 41
I usually answer "Cancel" to the popup, and then "Ok" to the next prompt. Usually does the job.

But only for the latest PM.

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 24, 2009, 04:34 PM Local time: May 24, 2009, 04:34 PM #11 of 41
When you're working on any large codebase, the hard part is not knowing what line of code to write, but knowing where to put it. And figuring that out can take ages.
I realize this. I work with a massive installed base of Fortran created by people who didn't comment or format in my daily work. Fortran is the devil. However, point noted.
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
Add a button to the pop up window that says "Mark as Read & Close".
This seems like a reasonable alternative to my original suggestion of a default or selectable behavior, as it would allow compromise for AcerBandit's valid concerns.

Considering the amount of pushback, I don't expect this to ever happen, but it's an annoyance I figured I'd investigate getting changed. Thanks for the explanation of the vB background cookie and I'll try out the method you suggested Zerg.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2009, 06:51 PM Local time: May 25, 2009, 07:51 AM #12 of 41
Araes, I messed up the sequence. You should first say Ok, then click Cancel.

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2009, 09:37 PM #13 of 41
I got a better solution than ramoth's monstrosity. Add a button to the pop up window that says "Mark as Read & Close". Then you can use the X if you just want to close the window but keep it unread, or click the "Mark as Read & Close" button if you want it to do such.
That's a bad solution, since it forces a user to think 'what if I don't want to "mark as read"?'

Considering that the pop-up promt already has the word 'close', 'open the message in a new window', 'go to my PM box', and 'close this popup' that's a lot of options for a user to consider, and all for a feature that only one person has asked for and a few people have stated would be confusing and unworkable for their jobs as moderators.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 03:25 AM Local time: May 26, 2009, 12:25 AM #14 of 41
That's a bad solution, since it forces a user to think 'what if I don't want to "mark as read"?'

Considering that the pop-up promt already has the word 'close', 'open the message in a new window', 'go to my PM box', and 'close this popup' that's a lot of options for a user to consider, and all for a feature that only one person has asked for and a few people have stated would be confusing and unworkable for their jobs as moderators.
I'm just offering a solution, not a UI redesign concept. Like you said, there are already a lot of options. Perhaps they should be slimmed down. Not that any of this change is really needed anyway, I agree.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 04:45 AM Local time: May 26, 2009, 10:45 AM 1 #15 of 41
People still use that popup thing? If I want to know if I have any unread PMs, I take a quick look at the number in the top right hand corner of every screen. There's even a handy link right next to it that takes you to your inbox from whence you can choose whether or not you wish to read said new message.

FELIPE NO
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 02:34 PM #16 of 41
I'm just offering a solution, not a UI redesign concept.
The problem is something with the user's experience. Your solution has nothing to do with the user's experience? I hope, for your employer's sake, that you only do backend work.

Bloodcinder
Red

Member 7284

Level 3.62

May 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 03:05 PM #17 of 41
Playing the dozens seems a lot more fun when it's about software engineering qualifications instead of overweight mothers.

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 07:01 PM Local time: May 26, 2009, 04:01 PM #18 of 41
The problem is something with the user's experience. Your solution has nothing to do with the user's experience? I hope, for your employer's sake, that you only do backend work.
Good grief. Do you try to disagree with everything I say on purpose? I was agreeing with you in that second post. Settle down.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 04:48 PM #19 of 41
I'm sorry that you think I have a vendetta against you. I don't. I'm saying that programmers who only think about what is programmatically possible* are thinking about less than half of the problem, and that giving solutions in such a situation is no more than mental masturbation.

That's not an opinion I keep special for you, Leno. Get over yourself.

* in their idealized world, without looking at the code base to assess what is possible, Mr. Bool-Line-Item-Assignment Araes I'm looking right at you

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 05:24 PM Local time: May 27, 2009, 02:24 PM #20 of 41
I'm sorry that you think I have a vendetta against you. I don't. I'm saying that programmers who only think about what is programmatically possible* are thinking about less than half of the problem, and that giving solutions in such a situation is no more than mental masturbation.

That's not an opinion I keep special for you, Leno. Get over yourself.

* in their idealized world, without looking at the code base to assess what is possible, Mr. Bool-Line-Item-Assignment Araes I'm looking right at you
I admit I've never really paid attention to the popup control as it stands. I know what you mean, and you're right. That's why, for example, the Song of the Week navigation area looks so shitty. (I would like to fix it, but I'm too lazy. Also, it was one of the first sites I made in PHP.)

If my solution were to be implemented, we would want to remove some other other links, or reposition them to streamline the whole control, etc. I can't access the control ATM to view it, so I'm not going to comment further.

Anyway, the whole thing is moot if nobody decides to act on the thread poster's request.

Bloodcinder
Red

Member 7284

Level 3.62

May 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 07:32 PM #21 of 41
I'm curious about what degrees/certs you two have, because I think I'm missing half the context.

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 08:19 PM #22 of 41
I'm a web programmer but I have a strong interest in the user experience. It makes life infinitely easier if you make sites that people can understand at a glance, especially with something intentionally obtrusive like the PM notification popup.

What are you having difficulty with? I figured that "five options are more confusing than four" is pretty self-explanatory.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Sarag; May 27, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 09:01 PM Local time: May 27, 2009, 06:01 PM #23 of 41
I'm curious about what degrees/certs you two have, because I think I'm missing half the context.
I'm a web developer for Microsoft platforms. I've worked solo on entire applications multiple times, and I'm in charge of one right now, so I do everything: graphic design, UI design, analysis, programming, data interfacing, DB administration, etc.

I also work with PHP and other non-Microsoft technologies on my own time.

My degree/certs are lacking, but I still manage to get by on my skill.

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 09:06 PM Local time: May 28, 2009, 10:06 AM #24 of 41
I'm a Computer Engineer and I scored 1590 on the old SAT

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2009, 09:11 PM 2 #25 of 41

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > New PM Popups