Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Google search redirects, need help getting rid of this virus

Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old May 7, 2009, 04:36 AM #1 of 5
Google search redirects, need help getting rid of this virus

Obviously google wont work in this situation so I'm asking here.

I recently downloaded a torrent of 3D studio max 2009, the bastard had like 1,200 seeders so I didn't suspect anything. Well installing it didn't work and I thought it had something to do with my other problem so I moved it to my other hard drive with all my media in it. I reformat my C drive and connect the other hard drive. So when I went to search for something and any link I would click would redirect me to some random unknown search engine so I figured out the last thing I had downloaded was 3D studio max 9 and deleted it. I reformatted again, I reconnect my hard drive again and it seems the virus spread to this hard drive and by deleting 3dsm it didn't do shit.

Now I'm trying to instal AVG and it wont even let me install that for some reason and I don't want to have to format this hard drive of mine with all my media on it. How do I get rid of this virus that's affecting my google search results?

Who knows what viruses, malware and trojans I've gotten from landing on all these random sites google is taking me to.

edit: This is the error I get when installing AVG:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgemc.exe: starting service....
Service avg8emc failed to progress during startup at checpoint 0 (wait hint 2000 ms) in 83703 ms.
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgcfg.log: restoring from backup....
Error 0x80070005 %DESTINATION% = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\Log\avgcfg.log", %SOURCE% = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\Log\avgcfg.log.install_backup_1"
Error: Action failed for file avgwd.log: restoring from backup....
Error 0x80070005 %DESTINATION% = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\Log\avgwd.log", %SOURCE% = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\Log\avgwd.log.install_backup_1"
Warning: Action failed for file avgmfx86.sys: stopping service....
Error 0x8007041c
Warning: Action failed for file avgldx86.sys: stopping service....
Error 0x8007041c

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2009, 05:42 AM Local time: May 7, 2009, 06:42 PM #2 of 5
Did you truly reformat? Virus infestations should no longer be a concern, so long as you don't run any nasty executable on the infected hard disk.

Can you check the contents of the HOSTS file located at:
%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\host.

And paste the contents here?

Also, you say Google redirects you to all types of random sites. Is this happening if you type in Google's IP? Try Google and see if the same thing happens.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old May 7, 2009, 01:50 PM #3 of 5
Well I didn't format my second hard drive and that's where I had 3dsm 2009 which I connected it after I reformat my main hard drive. I just have a habit of disconnecting my 2nd hard drive with all my media when reformatting just in case I accidently format that one instead. So I'm just guessing that's the infected one and after formatting the main hard drive and then connecting this one that the main one gets infected too since this has happened twice now. I can try formatting it again after I get back from college and not connect the other hard drive to see if I still have this problem. My main concern is if it's the other hard drive that's infected on getting that one cleaned without having to format it since I have about 800gb of media on it.

This is what's in my hosts file "127.0.0.1 localhost" and yes I do get redirected to these sites when searching using Google's IP.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2009, 09:35 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 10:35 AM #4 of 5
But... you should NOT be getting any infections if you merely connected the hard disks and did nothing else.

How are you connected to the internet?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old May 8, 2009, 04:07 AM #5 of 5
Uhh connected thru ethernet. And apperently I still got infected from just connecting it.

Anyways I spent hours searching on my PS3's browser, found out how to fix the problem. I had to use Flash Disinfector, Avenger and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes wasn't starting so I had to rename the mbam.exe to something else for it to open up. So if anyone ever gets something like this, that's what helped me out.

After using those tools I didn't have any problems, but I formatted my main drive again just to be on the safe side. Don't seem to be having any problems now.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Google search redirects, need help getting rid of this virus