Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Burnout Paradise

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:16 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 06:16 PM #1 of 70
Thumbs up Burnout Paradise

You guys all got this game, right?

You like it? I think it's fantastic. Never thought violating driving rules would be so much fun.

Also, while I know that it is absolutely impossible to get even close to 100%, I'd really like to complete as many online challenges as possible. The problem is that with the current amount of faggots playing Burnout Paradise online, it is impossible to complete even one 8-player-challenge, you know what I am talking about. So if you guys want to join my project, that would be cool.

Oh, I do have a PS3, not that other console that collapses when you look at it the wrong way.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:24 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 12:24 PM #2 of 70
I heard its a good game, but I dont play much racing besides PGR nowadays. Too bad about the PS3 for you though. Because I think there are like 10 xbox live GFF guys who play online.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:24 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 06:24 PM #3 of 70
I had a bit of a rant about how disappointed I was by Paradise in my journal at SB but it's still a fun game. I've had the same problem with idiots online but I've found that if you play ranked matches rather than casual ones you do actually get to race from time to time. Also a lot of people fix it so everyone drives the same car as the host which makes for much more entertaining races. I have to say I'm none too bothered about the challenges though.

Most amazing jew boots
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:31 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2008, 01:31 AM #4 of 70
I normally race offline 'cause of those same rat-bastards, Musharraf. But even then, racing around smashing into things is fun as hell. I especially like playing Marked Man with a crappy car, an amazing challenge you gotta try. I still love Road Rage though. It's gotta be my favourite!!

Too bad I'm too busy with DMC4 to race these days. Definitely will get back to it though some time.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:34 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 06:34 PM #5 of 70
Road Rage is absolutely awesome. When you're bored, you can easily add up to 100 takedowns.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:42 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 02:42 PM #6 of 70
Too bad about the PS3 for you though. Because I think there are like 10 xbox live GFF guys who play online.
Indeed. You'd have no trouble at all finding people to play it with here on that "easily breakable console". (Gotta troll no matter what Mush, eh?)

Someone should make that PS3 pick up games thread, it might be easier to organize such a thing from there. Especially since most of the PS3 crew doesn't show their face in any non-PS3 related threads.

One thing that annoyed me about the challenges was that they often repeated. Get to the airport and do this thing. But do it with 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7, people. "Oh, fun.". After about 250 challenges, you start to lose interest due to further lack of reward after that point, and the fact that many of them are hilariously the same as ones you've already done.

Other than that, the game's a riot. 100 percenting the challenges sounds like a daunting task though.

Rest of the game is utter brilliance though, and I still don't understand a lot of Shin's specific complaints, as I thought they dealt with most of them in a pretty good way. Oh well, different strokes and all that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:55 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 09:55 PM #7 of 70
To be fair Skills, after that rant I played a fair bit more offline, got the hang of it a bit more and I enjoy the online game more now. My problem I think, was that I wanted to be able to jump into the new game and straight away go blazing around the place with the boost button held down. Now I find that if I slow down a lot near the corners, I tend not to get so lost and can make up the time by dodging traffic on the straights. I still wish there was a quick restart button and I still think it needs a lobby option but I do enjoy the game. Playing ranked games really helps you to actually get races (I'm amazed nobody else here plays ranked, only me and one of my mates even have rankings out of my whole friends list) and that a lot of people play with matched cars turned on means I don't have to give a fuck about collecting billboards and shit. In fact I think I probably play Burnout more than you do now...

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:11 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 03:11 PM #8 of 70
I still wish there was a quick restart button
Oh God, yes. PLEASE. At least the quick event end thing was useful if you fucked up early, but a restart'd be great. If I messed up a BR, at least going about it backwards gave me an idea of what revised route to take to get there in time. But other than that, oh yes.

Quote:
a lobby option
Like, for just races instead of freeburning? That'd be a nice change, actually. Many people do want to get challenges done in unranked.

Quote:
amazed nobody else here plays ranked
As a general rule, I avoid ranked if at all possible on all games. I find that, at least in my own experience, ranked has far more assholes and annoying faggots in it. I only bother with ranked if it's achievement related or there is some other tangible reason for doing so. Since it's impossible to get near the top of any leaderboards due to the amount of time some people have to play a game and grind wins, I don't see the point. Perhaps Paradise is the exception to this rule though, I haven't even looked.

Quote:
In fact I think I probably play Burnout more than you do now...
I rarely (read: never), get invites from people anymore. I'd be down though if people shot me an invite more often (or annoyed me on AIM/IRC about it).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:25 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2008, 08:25 AM #9 of 70
I bought this, which lead me to then getting Flatout: Ultimate Carnage on 360, which is.. what I was pretty much looking for in the first place it would seem. =x Free roaming does nothing for me, especially since it seems so half arsed (invincible barriers of doom preventing awesome jumps or whatever everywhere). The Road Rage bits are hilarious as ever though, and I like that they included the unused, original Burnout 3 music tracks in there!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:42 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 09:42 AM #10 of 70
Getting on for almost a year later I'm giving this thread a swift old kick up the jacksy, because there's a new, rather substantial, patch on the way. Actually there's two packs on the one, the first is a free update, but there's also the new party pack coming. Details are below, but the one key thing a lot of people will be happy to hear about in the free update: you'll be able to restart races.

The free patch (due Feb 6th):
Quote:
In-Game Browser Site (PC and PS3-only)

The first change PS3 and PC-players will notice is that we're now using an in-game browser to bring you something we're calling the Criterion Games Network. More on this next week! (Players on all platforms can enjoy the rest of the features listed on this page.)

In-Game Store

The next major addition is our in-game store. You'll be able to easily buy new content, like the Party Pack, without leaving the comfort of Burnout Paradise. Just head for either the Main Menu or the Easydrive Menu. We'll add the Legendary Cars, Boost Specials, Toy Cars, Island and more (!), as they become available.

Vehicle dynamics overhaul

The vehicle handling has undergone it's most substantial overhaul since Burnout Paradise was first released. We’ve tweaked the handling on the first available cars, like the Hunter Cavalry, to make the game easier and more accessible.

These cars are now slower, harder to crash and less likely to spin out at low speeds. This’ll help any newcomers get into the game, but it also delivers greater variety between the early cars to the faster, more challenging later ones.

Burnout Paradise – easy to play but hard to master!

We’ve changed the way we display the performance of the cars in the junkyard. You can now easily compare cars and see that with the rebalanced handling, they’re more varied across the whole range. Again, we’re aiming for a more fun and accessible experience. And on the subject of the junkyard, you can now filter what you see there. Pick between cars or bikes and when our Legendary Cars, Toy Cars and Boost Specials arrive in the near future they’ll also be easier to pick out.

Stunt Run Timer Reinvented

Fans of Stunt Run will now appreciate that the countdown timer now starts to count down more slowly. If you’ve never played before, it’ll be easier to pick up. For experts, it’ll counts down faster depending on how many multipliers you’ve earned.

It’s just one of a stack of minor changes designed to rebalance and tweak the game for your enjoyment.

Rebalanced Events

We’ve modified the difficulty of all events. The speeds of the rival cars and Burning Route times have been changed to accommodate new car speeds.

Road Rage Tweaked

We’ve changed the way the timer works in Road Rage– you no longer get time added when you’ve hit the target number of cars. This means the game has a clearer end point and restricts crazy scores to later Road Rages, making it more challenging for experts – see if you can reach 100+ now! It’s been streamlined.

Vibrant Visuals

Paradise City is filled with a whole world of objects waiting to be discovered. We wanted to make it a little easier to spot them, so we’ve modified the colours of the Billboards (red) and Smashes (yellow) and Super Jumps (blue). They also now pulse for added visibility.

We’ve also overhauled the lighting to bring you more vibrant visuals. We wanted to make it easier to see at night and give everything a more vibrant feel with brighter, more saturated Burnout color.

Restart is in

You ask – we deliver. Restart is in! You can now quit or fail an event and choose to restart it.

You’ll be transferred to the start location ready for action. We’ve always enjoyed the feeling of freedom that Paradise City’s open world delivers, but we appreciate that as you run low on events towards the end of the game, you can spend a little too long in transit.

Barrel Rolls for Beginners

And last but not least, we’ve transformed the way barrel rolls work in Burnout Paradise. Hit a split-ramp and barrel rolls now automatically right themselves. It means new players can pull off flash moves immediately, but nothing changes for all you experts out there. You can still risk multiple rolls by pushing the right stick in the direction of the roll.
[ source ]

For details of the party pack, check here - Criterion Games

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:18 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 11:18 AM #11 of 70
Nice update. This might actually encourage me to pick the thing up and finish it after all this time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:50 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2009, 06:50 PM #12 of 70
Quote:
Restart is in

You ask – we deliver. Restart is in! You can now quit or fail an event and choose to restart it.
And it only took them a year!

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:45 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2009, 12:45 PM #13 of 70
Given most companies ignore any such issues, or use them as basis for churning out a sequel, I don't think you can throw too many jokes Criterion's way. Plus this is all part of their push to get new sales, what with the Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Edition (or whatever it's called) landing about the same time in the shops. Given some people were put off by the lack of retry, this might be what's needed to get them interested.

I say hats off to Criterion, I wish more developers supported their games this well.

Also Garr: I know I'm up for playing BP again, I'm pretty sure Skills is, so if you're down that's three of us as just a starting point.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:16 AM #14 of 70
The restart feature may actually prompt me to pick up the game now. My biggest gripe with the demo was the lack of any sort of menu UI the previous games had. Being forced to do everything in-game just annoyed me and sucked out any fun I had, the lack of restarting being a big reason for that. Seems like a small thing, but I have serious issues with the whole "do everything in-game" trend that most games are going for these days, and it just seems cumbersome as fuck to do so in an arcade-style racer. Menus are sooo passé.

Either way, a purchase could be on the way. Does anyone know if the price has come down?

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:34 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2009, 02:34 PM #15 of 70
Given most companies ignore any such issues, or use them as basis for churning out a sequel, I don't think you can throw too many jokes Criterion's way. Plus this is all part of their push to get new sales, what with the Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Edition (or whatever it's called) landing about the same time in the shops. Given some people were put off by the lack of retry, this might be what's needed to get them interested.

I say hats off to Criterion, I wish more developers supported their games this well.

Also Garr: I know I'm up for playing BP again, I'm pretty sure Skills is, so if you're down that's three of us as just a starting point.
I'll probably be up for playing it once the patch drops. Despite my general misgivings about the game it can be fun at times and there's a ton of stuff I never did in it. I also now have one of those vision camera things so I can pose for an amusing picture each time I ram someone off the road...

It's nice to see that they're still supporting the game after all this time although cynics might suggest that it's cheaper for them to extend the old game rather than build a whole new one and it only took Codemasters a month to disable people reversing off the line and destroying the car behind straight away in GRID.

I am amazed they never had a restart option from the beginning though. Especially in a game like Burnout with it's burning route missions, the best way to complete them is to try over and over until you're properly in the zone and ace it. Having to drive back to the start each time made me really lose my focus and double the amount of time it took to complete each mission.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:56 AM #16 of 70
I just got this game but unfortunately the ps3 version which nobody seems to be playing.
It's pretty fun but I kinda liked the confined style of the older games, in which you just pick a race and you just race, and when you enter crash mode it looked more badass :/
It's still a fun game, haven't touched online yet just so I can finish off some single player. Oh and since I don't have an hdtv I can't see shit when it turns night, not sure if it's always like this even in hd but when I'm boosting in the middle of the night and everything goes blurry it looks like I crash into an invisible "wtf I dunno" objects.
I don't see myself buying the extra's though. To me it's more like a game to kill time and have fun but nothing I would devote myself to.

New Record!
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:18 PM #17 of 70
I keep meaning to go back and finish up the single player to this, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe the new content will inspire me, though I wish this update included the new island they've been talking about since the game was released. It's mentioned in the In-Game Store section, so at least they haven't forgotten about it I suppose.

Oh, and count me in for online stuff too. We need to have more of these 8-player nights.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:54 PM Local time: Jan 27, 2009, 08:54 PM #18 of 70
Either way, a purchase could be on the way. Does anyone know if the price has come down?
You can generally find it for about $20 now at most places (I know for sure Wal-Mart and GameStop have it at that price, and you can get it online for that price at Amazon).

I just got this game but unfortunately the ps3 version which nobody seems to be playing.
I know a few people here have the PS3 version (myself included) so we just need to get something organized. I need to try out more of the multiplayer stuff anyway, so I'll hit you up if I ever see you online.

Most amazing jew boots
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:48 PM 1 #19 of 70
Next time we play, may I suggest that we spend more time just shooting the shit rather than getting into the challenges right away? I found that the random pointless wandering was just as much fun as the challenges.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:11 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 11:11 AM #20 of 70
Next time we play, may I suggest that we spend more time just shooting the shit rather than getting into the challenges right away? I found that the random pointless wandering was just as much fun as the challenges.
You see, this is exactly why I stopped playing the game. Nobody ever has any actual races, they just drive up and down for hours on end mindlessly crashing into each other. If you want to chat to your friends, go play Animal Crossing or something.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:57 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 10:57 AM #21 of 70
I'm with Shin on this. Some shooting the breeze is OK, but it's more fun when you're doing races and challenges. It'd definitely be cool to give the online Marked Man (they did add that right, I'm not just imagining it am I?) a go.

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:53 PM #22 of 70
I'm with Shin on this. Some shooting the breeze is OK, but it's more fun when you're doing races and challenges. It'd definitely be cool to give the online Marked Man (they did add that right, I'm not just imagining it am I?) a go.
Online Marked Man is actually kinda bogus unless the non marked people are REALLY GOOD at working together. Because you don't get the magical rubberbanding that the marked man guys get in the singleplayer, all it takes is to peel away from everybody once and you're pretty safe the rest of the way.

Not to mention my favorite strategy of guessing when I'm going to be the marked man and leaving the chase to start off way far away from everybody, making them waste half their time just getting to me.

The fact that they give the chasers infinite boost just doesn't quite balance it enough. Every time we've played it it's ended with everyone going "Well, that was... OK?"

omg Shin y u diss

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:23 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 08:23 PM #23 of 70
The team chase mode of Takedown and Revenge were the most fun multiplayer modes though. Infinite boost for the pursuers meant you could generally catch up pretty quickly and then have epic battles trying to smash them off the road. There was tactics to it too, it often made sense for one of the team being chased to deliberately hold back and try to slow down the chasers whilst the others got away. If you're not driving full speed yourself it's much harder to take you out and they couldn't just boost past you as that made it easy for you to take them out. I used to play that for hours on end, literally. Good times.

Dissed for trying to play proper games like they're Animal Crossing.

FELIPE NO
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:46 PM #24 of 70
The thing about team chase though was that it rewarded teamwork. Because in Marked Man in the end everyone is out for themselves (only the person who takes down the marked man gets the points) it doesn't do nearly as good of a job of encouraging you to work together.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:40 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 09:40 PM #25 of 70
Ah I see, I thought it worked the same as team chase, sorry.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Burnout Paradise