Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Burger King of Fighters XII - Free with large Whopper meal

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:30 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 04:30 PM 1 #126 of 141
Setting this Mai argument aside: RE... BARS!

Because the best fighter of 2009 won't start with "Street" or end in "IV".

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:17 PM #127 of 141
They still have time to bring something better to the home versions...If not, then that's something SNK-P has nothing over Capcom. Which is additional characters. =/

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 03:08 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 08:08 PM #128 of 141
Because the best fighter of 2009 won't start with "Street" or end in "IV".
Is a comment like that really needed?

Anyway, I've never played a KoF but this looks kind of nifty so it has my interest. I'm especially loving the work they've done on the sprites, it looks pretty damn sweet. Guess I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Most amazing jew boots
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:20 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2009, 12:20 AM 1 #129 of 141
Is a comment like that really needed?
Haha, I suppose not... But I couldn't think of anything useful to say, and still wanted to post the trailer. To be fair I'm really excited about both, it wasn't a statement to be taken too seriously.
Quote:
They still have time to bring something better to the home versions...If not, then that's something SNK-P has nothing over Capcom. Which is additional characters. =/
Yeah, while it doesn't really affect my judgement of the game, I'm curious what they'll do for the home version. Of course, I was really hoping for some more characters but at the same time, one of the things that always made it really hard to get into KOF was the huge 50+ unique character-roster. In a way this is almost like a reboot, with a lot of characters going back to their roots and the cast not being too big to be intimidating, so with that I guess they're trying to attract new players as well as old fans who feel the series went out of control a bit with those recent versions (I certainly felt that way).

And of course there's the issue where making those huge sprites is apparently an incredible investment on the team's side. Maybe they just can't afford to add more characters.

How ya doing, buddy?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:18 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2009, 02:48 PM #130 of 141
Apologies to everybody for bumping a thread that's about 6 months old, but I was wanted to give a heads up that King of Fighters XII is out now. I just picked up my copy for the PS3 at EB games.

I've only recently gotten into King of Fighters, so I can't wait to give this one a test drive, so to the fellow King of Fighter fans, go out and get it. Not many reviews on it, and from the reviews that are out already it looks above average at best.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:03 PM #131 of 141
I have to say this is the worst $80 I've spent in my life (Canada + Ontario taxes).

I thought that Street Fighter IV was skimping out on moves, but somehow it ended up being a lot more fun overall still. For example, if you thought Elizabeth didn't have enough moves in XI, then you'll be sorely displeased to see that she only has one attacking special move, a command grab, and some silly front step, backstep and sidestep teleportation shit. Mature's movelist takes out all the moves that made her cool and leaves her with just Decide and Metal Massacre to work with. That's a grand total of two special moves. In addition, Many characters are left with the short end of the stick, having only 1 super. Some characters are more lopsided though like Ash, having three special moves and three supers.

All this iteration of KoF has to offer is a graphical spectacle. Unfortunately, it's really noticeable how graphics were the first and only priority the team had in mind when making this. Sure it looks gorgeous, but it lacks memorable gameplay mechanics. You can do the Critical Counter by landing an HP so that it becomes a counter attack, which lets you follow up with a custom combo style flurry afterwards, or any follow-up you want. That's pretty much it. I think the emphasis is on how well you know your normal hits in this game, because they sure don't give you much to work with here.

The AI is still SNK quality, as even on Easy, they can still decide to pull off multi-hit combos that'll leave you questioning the point of adjustable difficulty. I can't quite tell yet if input-reading makes a return, but for now it's the least of your worries.

No character intros. No taunting. No other modes than a five stage arcade, training, and online play. No cheap SNK Boss. No story. This game feels more of a spinoff, ironically, than an actual entry in the series. Even 2006 was better than this (even though I was one of the few people that loved 2006, but besides the point), and it wasn't even canon.

I think I'll trade this in very soon this week after I get some of the trophies, and hopefully learn from my mistake.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:04 PM #132 of 141
I bought this... even after reading all of those reviews warning not to buy it.

What can I say? For me, KoF is one of the games I must get... no matter how bad it might be =(

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:51 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 07:51 AM #133 of 141
Mine shipped today apparently. I've always been terrible at KoF, and XII was the kind of game I simply have to get.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:29 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2009, 10:29 PM #134 of 141
I still regard '98 as the very best of the series. But that's only me.

Sadly, as much as I wanted to try this out, seems like Summon's review make this purchase very much bleak.

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:17 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 09:17 AM #135 of 141
Oh come on, you've knowingly bought much worse games :E

And everyone regards '98 as the best.

FELIPE NO

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:46 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 12:46 AM #136 of 141
lololololol true but all guilty pleasures. Come on, I'm sure you have some too.

KoF '99 was my last hard copy. Hell, Maximum Impact looks good but heard wishy-washy reviews. With Summon's review of this having no taunts and limited specials and whatnot, I may get it as a rental. Probably.

I just wished that Terry's MOTW outfit was used.

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:01 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 11:01 AM #137 of 141
Rental, pfft. No excuses.

I've bought the few KoF PS2 releases that have come out in Europe, simply for owning them and because I'm a 2D graphics whore. KoFXII is no different :3
Though this time I ordered the US release.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Yushiro
Able Squad, More Like Awesome Squad

Member 4745

Level 10.03

Apr 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:24 AM #138 of 141
I was pretty excited about KoF XII until I started hearing that the character selection was crap, the movesets were crap, the new sprite designs were crap, and it was as barebones as it gets. It seems inexcusable to charge $60 for a game like this (and I would argue all fighters shouldn't be full price). I'll pick it up when it hits <$30 because I am a much bigger fan of SNK than Capcom fighters, but to be honest, I've been looking more forward to an X360 version of Maximum Impact anyway. KoF 2006 (aka Maximum Impact 1.5) was some of the most fun I've ever had with a fighter, much more so than SFIV.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:30 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 09:30 AM 1 #139 of 141
even though its not the KOF everybody wanted i still dig the hell out of it
played it so much the first day it came out i broke my arcade stick

hardcore fighting fan MUCH.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Yushiro
Able Squad, More Like Awesome Squad

Member 4745

Level 10.03

Apr 2006

Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:29 PM #140 of 141
My friend GameFlyed it and brought it over today. We played 1 match and knew this game was a steamer. The horribly pixelized super-zoomed in sprites are atrocious and inexcusable for a new game of this generation. Backgrounds were horrible, too. And like I'd heard, the roster and movesets (poor Leona) were garbage. There were really only about 5 characters that I would ever play (all my other KoF favorites being absent). Here's hoping they're putting their 1st string team on a new Maximum Impact, because this was a 3rd string kinda job.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:14 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 01:44 AM #141 of 141
I finally managed to play this a few times tonight. I haven't played much of the KOF franchise , and although I understand all the flaws that this game had, but it didn't really stop me from enjoying it. I am just so amazed at how the visuals look. It's completely mesmerizing.

Even though there is not a lot when it comes to this game especially the character selection, I'm hoping to get a few online matches when I get back from my work turnaround. I haven't really picked out a full team yet. I've only played with a few of the characters, but I've been using Athena quite a lot.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Angel of Light; Aug 22, 2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Errors

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Burger King of Fighters XII - Free with large Whopper meal