Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Swine Flu - We're all going to die

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 08:56 AM #1 of 59
Swine Flu - We're all going to die

I'm not sure why there's no swine flu thread, but it is a void that must be filled. Discussion points include:

-Do you know someone with swine flu?
-We're supposed to call it H1N1 flu now, because it's upsetting the Jews/Muslims/Pigs/Others.
-Have schools/businesses closed in your area?
-Is this a gross overreaction?

Just today, a high school in the DC area was closed due to swine flu. There are posters everywhere in my office telling folks to wash their hands, and this morning Metro was broadcasting a calmly voiced woman advising commuters on how to avoid the flu. It's all beginning to remind me of a certain episode of Sliders.

How ya doing, buddy?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 09:16 AM 3 #2 of 59
1: Most people with a healthy constitution run no severe risk if infected by the swine flu. It behaves like any other mundane influenza and is succeptible to common, over-the-counter antivirals. At most, you'll feel like crap for 2-5 days, then life will resume as normal. The bigger concern is not infecting those around you, should you actually contract the virus.

2: Fuck the Jews/Muslims/Pork farmers. It jumped from pigs, so it's named after the source. There was no political uproar from ornithologists and chicken farmers when the avian flu was a concern 3-4 years ago. It's a word. If you're offended by a simple word with no slanderous intent, you're weak of mind.

3: So far there are no reported cases in the Western New York area, so nothing has shut down. Everyone is on watch and that's it. The hospitals and doctors here have had plenty of time to arm themselves for an outbreak, and most people will get through it without severe complication.

4: I am personally a little more concerned than the average person should be. After my transplant, my immune system is purposely compromised. I'm prone to the swine flu and if I should ever catch it, I may require hospitalization to ensure that it doesn't grow out of control. I'll likely need more antiviral medication than the average person since my white cell count is still low. The swine flu hits the respiratory system and that's where I'm most vulnerable. I already had a supply of hand sanitizer and face masks, just as a general precaution against everything, so as long as I'm not stupid, I can minimize my exposure. On the downside, I return to my job this Sunday, where I'm more exposed to the public. If my town does report infection, my doctors may force me to take a leave for my own protection. I don't think that'd qualify for disability.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 10:48 AM Local time: May 1, 2009, 11:48 PM #3 of 59
1: Most people with a healthy constitution run no severe risk if infected by the swine flu. It behaves like any other mundane influenza and is susceptible to common, over-the-counter antivirals.
I think what's driven fears of ths swine flu is that, like the Spanish Flu, it may kill a disproportionate portion of young and healthy adults, by overstimulating their immune systems through a cytokine storm.

With that said, there is no evidence that this is the case. I heard Tamiflu is effective against the flu. As for its fatality rate, it just isn't deadly outside of Mexico. And the one fatality in Texas is that of a Mexican toddler.

_________

4: I am personally a little more concerned than the average person should be. After my transplant, my immune system is purposely compromised. I'm prone to the swine flu and if I should ever catch it, I may require hospitalization to ensure that it doesn't grow out of control.
If you are concerned about infection but don't want to interrupt working, you may want to invest in a respirator (N95 class or higher). While it's not a sure-fire preventive tool, it will help mitigate the risk a bit.

_________

As far as the name is concerned, I think Swine Flu is a dandy designation. Of course, the World Health wonks want to call it the North American Flu. Any objections to that, North Americans?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:04 AM 2 #4 of 59
Two people on my campus have confirmed to have Swine Flu.

I ordered a pizza.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:05 AM Local time: May 1, 2009, 10:05 AM 3 #5 of 59
Obviously, the Bilderberg group has developed a virus specificially to kill off illegal immigrants.

Most amazing jew boots
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:11 AM #6 of 59
Originally Posted by Zergrinch
If you are concerned about infection but don't want to interrupt working, you may want to invest in a respirator (N95 class or higher). While it's not a sure-fire preventive tool, it will help mitigate the risk a bit.
I work in a deli, Zerg. It's just not good P.R. to walk around the place in a respirator.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:13 AM #7 of 59
I dunno; after that Domino's thing, they'd probably appreciate it.

FELIPE NO
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:15 AM #8 of 59
Just because he's wearing a respirator/hazmat suit doesn't mean he didn't unzip when no one was looking and shake the salami around in there.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:22 AM Local time: May 1, 2009, 10:22 AM #9 of 59
-We're supposed to call it H1N1 flu now, because it's upsetting the Jews/Muslims/Pigs/Others.
[/URL]
It should be pointed out that H1N1 is the general subtype that this specific flu strain falls under. It's the most common kind of flu in the world and also includes Spanish flu.

I have no idea why people are proposing that as an alternate to "swine flu".

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:31 AM Local time: May 2, 2009, 12:31 AM #10 of 59
I work in a deli, Zerg. It's just not good P.R. to walk around the place in a respirator.
In normal times, I'd agree. But given your particular circumstances and the current swine flu scare, I don't think customers would mind one bit if the dude slicing up their specialty meats is wearing a protective mask.

I certainly won't!

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 11:48 AM #11 of 59
In normal times, I'd agree. But given your particular circumstances and the current swine flu scare, I don't think customers would mind one bit if the dude slicing up their specialty meats is wearing a protective mask.

I certainly won't!
Maybe I'm stereotyping here, but you live in an Asian country, and anytime there's some sort of outbreak (like SARS), you folks break out the face masks. It's very unusual to see someone outside of a hospital wearing a face mask in North America, unless they're immuno-compromised or they're Michael Jackson.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 12:37 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 10:37 AM #12 of 59
Quote:
There was no political uproar from ornithologists and chicken farmers when the avian flu was a concern 3-4 years ago.
I think because when most people think avian or bird they don't immediately think of chicken. When you say swine there's not a whole lot of other choices than delicious pig.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 12:39 PM #13 of 59
When you say swine there's not a whole lot of other choices than delicious pig.
LA Cops?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 12:59 PM #14 of 59
Two schools in towns about 20 minutes away from where I live have had closings due to what they believe is Swine Flu. They're testing 4 students of Yale to see if their flu symptoms are 'the real deal'.

Originally Posted by Hartford Courant
And at an informational forum before the legislature's public health committee, Dr. Matthew Cartter, the state epidemiologist, said we should expect that the swine flu will be at least as severe as a typical seasonal flu, in which 15 percent to 25 percent of the population might get sick and about 35,000 people die nationwide.

As of Thursday evening, the number of probable cases in Connecticut was six. None of the victims required hospitalization, and all were recovering, officials said.
Original Source

I had a friend in Cali worried that she had it... doctors told her it was regular old flu.

I know Lehah's answer already because we've discussed it, but is the general consensus that they're blowing this way out of proportion? Its not exactly The Black Death here. I'm already a little sick of hearing about it.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 01:08 PM #15 of 59
The pork industry is pissed because some people are quitting pork over this, which is stupid and will allow me to reap the rewards of discounted bacon.

However, the Jew thing is bullshit. One guy, who is a religious nutjob, is saying that. It's not my fault that he's the deputy Health Minister! I guess Israel didn't think a proper Health Minister would be worth investing in until the last minute, so the Prime Minister of Israel just nominated a guy from the Yahdut Hatora since he owed them a favor or something. He didn't even want the job. He doesn't know anything about health, or about foreign relations either since he blamed the flu on Mexicans.

Anyway, the point is, no one thinks of flus as kosher or not kosher.

Also I think the guy whose desk is in front of mine has swine flu. I will report with additional information as it comes.

FELIPE NO
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 01:29 PM 2 #16 of 59
Also I think the guy whose desk is in front of mine has swine flu. I will report with additional information as it comes.
POSSIBLE CONFIRMED CASE OF SWINE FLU

MUST CLOSE DOWN GAMINGFORCE TO PREVENT FURTHER INFECTION

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 01:32 PM #17 of 59
I thought the masks kept you from spreading it, but you can still get it if you're wearing one.

It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 02:05 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 09:05 PM #18 of 59
-Do you know someone with swine flu?
-Have schools/businesses closed in your area?
-Is this a gross overreaction?
-Yes. No one Finnish, though.

-No. It is basically the same virus as 1918 Flu Pandemic, which is better known as Spanish flu, because of the first public appearances were in Spain. Even though it did start in the USA of WWI, and somewhere else too before Spain, the first reported cases were from infected outside the warring nations (Spain was neutral at the time). Thus, Spanish flu. Of course there are other naming conventions of diseases, but with this particular case Mexican flu seems the appropriate choice. The added hilarity due to religious whackjobs nerdraging over the name is just a bonus. This time their logic is right, though.

-There was a Hamina'n (a town in south Finland) school teacher (who a friend of mine knows) returning from holidays in Mexico City just a few days ago. I think her classes have been cancelled until her health status is updated. The labwork is basically a blood test and few seconds of work by detectors, so it should already be known if there was contamination or not. I haven't heard anything about it, so apparently no disease.

-Why whine about overreacting. I haven't heard of anything else than WHO being on their toes as of now. I'd call something that wastes public resources as an overreaction. The flu's spreading rate is now pretty well known, so there is some reason for worry (not panic yet). This is an easily spreading fatal disease, so of course any private person has the right to take whatever personal precautions they want. Generally the "reception" has been pretty calm, even at ground zero.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 02:13 PM #19 of 59
POSSIBLE CONFIRMED CASE OF SWINE FLU

MUST CLOSE DOWN GAMINGFORCE TO PREVENT FURTHER INFECTION
TOO LATE. PACO HAS ALREADY POSTED.

ziggythecat
I like Chocolate Milk

Member 8650

Level 10.49

Jun 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 02:30 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 01:30 PM #20 of 59
I call it the PIG HIV.

I think it's a joke really. at least the massive media coverage.

I like your booty but I'm not gay.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 03:16 PM #21 of 59
Well it came out today that there's a confirmed case of the swine flu in my county. This had everyone at my job talking. A lot of people felt that they didn't care what management said about public appearances, they'll wear a mask if things get bad. I tend to agree. I'd think customers would be relieved to see foodworkers restricting the flow of germs. We already go through rubber gloves like their use is a religious ritual.

I wonder if we'll be closing schools now. We're already out of snow days.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 03:23 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 01:23 PM #22 of 59
I'm much more concerned about the people reporting on the flu more than the disease itself. I can take antibiotics and rid myself of the cold. Steve Doocy, Gretchen Carlson and Brian Kilmeade are much, much harder to get rid of.

The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old May 1, 2009, 03:24 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 02:24 PM #23 of 59
At work, if you call in sick, you can't come back until you have a doctor's note saying you don't have Swine Flu.

I see a mini vacation.

FELIPE NO
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 03:41 PM 1 #24 of 59
I can take antibiotics and rid myself of the cold.
NO.

NO YOU CAN'T.

IT'S A FUCKING VIRUS, NOT A BACTERIA.

Dammit, antibiotics are only useful for killing bacteria, and then only if it's not a resistant strain.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2009, 03:42 PM Local time: May 1, 2009, 02:42 PM 3 #25 of 59
Paco's cure is tequila, either way. He just forgot which word to call it today.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Swine Flu - We're all going to die