Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Should Sun's Tower be eligible for voting?
Yes 11 84.62%
No 2 15.38%
Abstain/Don't Care 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

[SotW] Song of the Week - Qualification: Sun's Tower

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:16 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2009, 05:16 PM #1 of 12
Song of the Week - Qualification: Sun's Tower

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN SONG OF THE WEEK

This is a poll on official policy, so I'd appreciate it if only people who vote and/or nominate vote on this matter. If I don't recognize your name, I won't count your vote with the final tally. Thanks in advance.

~~~~

Paper Mario - Sun's Tower
nominator: Stalky

See here for previous discussion on the matter; it continues onto the second page. Do you think this track should be eligible for voting? Vote/discuss/etc.

The poll will close roughly a day or so before Week 166 voting closes, since it affects a track that could appear in Week 167.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:48 PM #2 of 12
I don't have a problem with it being entered, mainly because I've never played Paper Mario, nor heard any of the music.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:09 PM #3 of 12
Not the most obscure nom, but it's acceptable in my opinion. And anyway, I think we need all noms we can get...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:24 PM #4 of 12
I feel this should be a clear no, but again, it seems the majority of SotW voters are in favor of a less strict eligibility policy or don't care. Here's what I said before:

From the Wiki:

"The purpose of this event is to promote the proliferation of quality video game music that is seldom heard amongst the society of VGM fans."

Besides a good amount of people hearing it in-game (as Paper Mario was a popular game and one of the only good RPGs on the N64), I'm pretty sure the soundtrack itself is really well known among vgm fans. Thus, not "seldom heard" by any stretch.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Stalky
I think not.

Member 24973

Level 10.75

Sep 2007

Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:40 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2009, 07:40 AM #5 of 12
There were two nominations from The Thousand Year Door already, so why not just allow this one, too?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:04 AM #6 of 12
For several reasons, I think it should be allowed:
1. As Stalky points out, there is precendence for allowing Paper Mario tracks.
2. The track in question isn't even in the official soundtrack, thus reducing the amount of people who are familiar with it.
3. I've certainly never heard it before.
4. There's VERY FEW nominations in the queue right now.

I don't understand why there's always people who like to question the validity of some nominations. I understand that the whole point of the SotW is to make obscure music more known, but as long as it's not something that is super well-known by all, why should it matter? There's hardly ever gonna be a track that NO ONE can say that they've never heard before.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:26 AM #7 of 12
There were two nominations from The Thousand Year Door already, so why not just allow this one, too?
Bingo. And Ceft's reasons too. Not every nomination is going to be super-obscure. Plus, I've played Paper Mario and I couldn't remember most tracks for the life of me. My guess is the majority of those voting will not have heard this track before, or won't remember it.

FELIPE NO
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:23 PM #8 of 12
I think that the music is much less generally known and lauded than, say, SMRPG (which I would say is not eligible). As long as the song doesn't lean on established Mario tunes, I think it should be allowed. I've played and beaten Paper Mario, and can't even remember any of the songs!

We need nominations, too, so there's that as well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:07 PM #9 of 12
Originally Posted by Ceft
2. The track in question isn't even in the official soundtrack, thus reducing the amount of people who are familiar with it.
This is the mitigating factor for me. If it were easily available, it might be a bit too popular. But it's a rare track, one that's only been heard by people who've played through the game. It's probably not featured prominently, either.

As long as it doesn't wind up being a blatant variation on a popular Mario theme, it should receive equal consideration in the voting.

We've permitted Game Gear Sonic tracks; this seems to be tantamount in terms of potential exposure.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Stalky
I think not.

Member 24973

Level 10.75

Sep 2007

Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:21 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2009, 11:21 PM #10 of 12
As far as i know the whole game only features known tracks or remixes of known tracks in about three locations: On yoshi's island, in a radio of the so called Club64 and in the chapter screen if one waits long enough.
I have played almost all Mario games, i haven't heard it anywhere before.

How ya doing, buddy?
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:09 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2009, 02:09 AM #11 of 12
So, while we're at it, what's the verdict on Paper Mario eligibility? Does that mean we can basically nominate anything from Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario except blatant remixes of known themes? Or will things still be decided on a case by case basis?

I'm thinking about nominating a track or two, but if it's still considered borderline and is just gonna cause a huge mess then I might aswell drop those...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:17 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2009, 02:17 AM #12 of 12
So, while we're at it, what's the verdict on Paper Mario eligibility?
A few people cited the fact that this specific track wasn't on the OST as being part of their decision, but given the overwhelming results, probably any track from the game would be okay (aside from the arrangements, obviously).

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Given we've already had a couple of nominations from this game, I don't see any problems with another. I still haven't played it or listened to its soundtrack yet. (why not argh)

Super Paper Mario
Even without the results of this poll, I'd be okay with this.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - Qualification: Sun's Tower