Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Shirley Walker Has Died - 11/28/06

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 03:48 PM #1 of 23
Shirley Walker Has Died - 11/28/06

Shirley Walker would probably be best remembered as the supervising composer on Batman The Animated Series - but she was also the woman behind what made Elfman's 1989 Batman score sound so good. The same thing with Apocalypse Now and the short lived Space: Above And Beyond.

To say her passing upsets me is a vast understatement.

I had been trading email with Shirley over the past year. It had been an especially tough year - her husband of many years passed away from cancer earlier in 2006. I had gotten one of my last email replies from her only days after the fact.

Shirley was probably the biggest reason I had gained an interest in this field of music, outside of John Williams. One of my first scores was Mask Of The Phantasm, which remains one of the best things I've ever heard.

I feel like I've lost a friend.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Nov 30, 2006 at 04:36 PM.
The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:04 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 09:04 PM #2 of 23
Sorry to hear that, wasnt aware who she was but very familiar with the tracks, im sure she will me sorely missed by many such as yourself.

Most amazing jew boots

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:05 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 05:05 AM #3 of 23
Wow, you did lose a friend there, Lehah. I've never seen how she looks like, but I could recall her works from the titles you mentioned. This doesn't have a significant impact on myself, but I do feel sorry for the loss to her family, and the music universe.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:18 PM #4 of 23
Damn. She single-handedly made the Final Destination movies watchable. Before today, I hadn't gotten around to watching my Space: Above And Beyond set but I think I'll do it now in her memory.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lucas-AMN
King of the x27 Combo

Member 2744

Level 9.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:26 PM #5 of 23
She also did work for Animaniacs. The music world has lost a great person here. She will be dearly missed.

Most amazing jew boots
Aztaroth
Syklis Green

Member 432

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:21 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 11:21 PM #6 of 23
damn, not again and at the same age as Basil Poledouris...

I was actually hoping she would get to score Batman Begins back then, since she has composed the best Batman theme ever.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:35 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 10:35 PM #7 of 23
FUCK.

So much talent - gone just like that V_V.

FELIPE NO
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:59 PM #8 of 23
Nooo! Why've they got to take all the good ones at once? I didn't even know she was ill!

Walker was a great composer, really underrated, with a lot of her best stuff unreleased. This is truly a sad day. Walker, Poledouris, Raskin, Goldsmith, Bernstein...the great composers are dropping like flies

Most amazing jew boots
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:19 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 12:19 AM #9 of 23
Originally Posted by Aztaroth
I was actually hoping she would get to score Batman Begins back then, since she has composed the best Batman theme ever.
The main titles of Batman TAS are actually from Danny Elfman's movie score. Walker worked on that score as well though (as the conductor, maybe?), that's what got her the job at the animated series. I still consider that one of the most remarkable efforts in the field of TV-animation-scores, since about half of every episode was accompanied by original music. Compare this to Gargoyles, where they re-used cues so often, some scenes became predictable because one knew how the music was about to change.

Still, I somewhat hope that the news of her death has been greatly exaggerated. No offense LeHah, I have no reason to doubt your honesty, yet I'd like to postpone my mourning until it is certain that there has been no mistake.

Edit: Well, nevermind that last paragraph.

Last edited by Cyrus XIII; Nov 30, 2006 at 06:25 PM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:27 PM #10 of 23
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
The main titles of Batman TAS are actually from Danny Elfman's movie score.
Depends. Elfman wrote a variation on the 1989 march for the cartoon series but when the show was changed to "The Adventures Of Batman And Robin" format, the theme written by Walker was used. She also penned the title for the Batman/Superman Adventures title.

Walker worked on that score as well though (as the conductor, maybe?)
And primary orchestrator. She's the reason that everyone remembers the 1989 score and not Batman Returns. (She also did ghost arrangements on Batman Forever with fellow TAS composer Michael McCustion)

Compare this to Gargoyles, where they re-used cues so often, some scenes became predictable because one knew how the music was about to change.
Thats very unfair, given that most shows don't have much budget left over for music, so they're forced to recycle. TAS was made an exception because it was still riding high on the first feature movie and was given extra money to allow a symphonic approach.

There are a number of cartoons that had the library approach to great success - two off the top of my head were ExoSquad and Dungeons & Dragons.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:55 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 07:55 PM #11 of 23
I am lost for words here. As if we needed the hole to be dug deeper when it's already pretty damn deep as it is.

I've known her for composing the Batman material (above), the score for Turbulence, and conducting A Goofy Movie.

Rest in peace. ;_;

How ya doing, buddy?
Easy
Carob Nut

Member 7582

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:18 PM #12 of 23
That's sad news. I was very impressed with Mask of the Phantasm when I first heard it a few years ago. And I've been interested in getting to know more of her work since, but the movies she score tend to be not really my type of thing so I never got around to it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:19 PM #13 of 23
Originally Posted by LeHah
[center]I feel like I've lost a friend.
Like Altman to myself. The death of an artist can be as palpable as that of a relative.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:41 PM #14 of 23
I'm saddened by her passing, and I'm also at a loss for words ...

I know her mainly from her work in Batman TAS, which is my favourite animated series of all time. Batman Mask of the Phantasm and Walker's score for it have always held a special place in my heart.

It stuns me to realize that I'd never even seen a photo of her until just moments ago. She looked like such a sweet, kind person.

She will be missed. Rest in Peace, Shirley Walker.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 09:49 PM #15 of 23
Sorry to say, but I have never really heard of her. As a result, I agree that she is understated. I will have to listen to some of her stuff in the future as a result.

Rest in Peace.

FELIPE NO
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:01 PM #16 of 23
Wow, and here I was humming the theme to 'The Adventures of Batman and Superman' the other day. This is really sucky, because I really loved the music from Batman TAS and the other incarnations from it.

I guess all I can say is Rest in Peace, and hope her family will be ok.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Aztaroth
Syklis Green

Member 432

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 04:20 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 10:20 AM #17 of 23
Quote:
The main titles of Batman TAS are actually from Danny Elfman's movie score.
As LeHah said, this was changed with "The Adventures of Batman and Robin", and it's that theme I'm referring to. Even though Elfman's theme was good, I prefer Walker's.

Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 05:08 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 11:08 AM #18 of 23
WHAT!? First we lose Tony Jay, one of the most fantastic voices known to mankind, and now the composer of several of my alltime favourite animated shows!

To quote the late Bart de Graaff (deceased Dutch celebrity): "Celebrities have a nasty habit of dying when you least expect it." (which was morbidly ironic in his case)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 05:40 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 05:40 AM #19 of 23
I think in the end the greatest tragedy in the death of an artisan is that the practice of apprenticeship is almost non-existant.

Nobody can do what Shirley Walker did, and we've lost more than just a person.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 09:53 AM #20 of 23
Originally Posted by Bradylama
I think in the end the greatest tragedy in the death of an artisan is that the practice of apprenticeship is almost non-existant.
Its strange you say that because Shirley did have several apprenctices of sorts. Michael McCustion, Lolita Ritmas and Kris Carter all worked under her supervision starting on the first Batman show and have done all the DC/Dini cartoon since.

They don't replace her but her legacy lives on.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 10:01 PM #21 of 23
Originally Posted by Amayirot Akago
WHAT!? First we lose Tony Jay, one of the most fantastic voices known to mankind, and now the composer of several of my alltime favourite animated shows!
Holy shit, he's dead too?! Dammit that sucks! I hope they don't make another Legacy of Kain game then. No one can replace him as the Elder God.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Faust 72
Blue Fedora, Orange Socks!!

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 02:32 AM #22 of 23
I love her scores especially Mask of Phantasm. To bad such a lovely composer have gone away. Rest in Peace.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 09:52 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2006, 11:22 AM #23 of 23
holy shit! i had no idea until I saw this thread! I loved her scores from the Batman series. Rest in peace, your music will live on.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Shirley Walker Has Died - 11/28/06