Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Odd's for Kid Icarus / Dreams for the game

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 01:23 PM #1 of 12
Odd's for Kid Icarus / Dreams for the game

I'm just so pumped with the idea of a new Kid Icarus game. Seeing SSBB with Kid Icarus has my head spinning. It would be so perfect for Wii control it's mind boggling! So this thread is not only for just seeing if you think it'll happen, but what you would like to see if it comes. I've been getting a really awesome picture of this game in my head after seeing the SSB:B Pit renders.

For me, I've been visualizing a third person game view(above and behind like a racing game) with nunchuck + Wiimote control. The analog stick would control forward, backward and rotating quickly side to side. The wiimote would control looking/aiming fixed to center screen or slightly camera delayed (like cursor moves first with camera following behind by half a second NOT MPrime3's box system). By being third person, this should keep the camera movements from seeming jumpy as has been said with FPS and the wiimote. By pressing L1 on the nunchuck, the control scheme for the analog stick changes to up and down being veritcal flying up and down, with left and right being strafe side to side. L1 also changes the wiimote's control to be only aiming (like MPrime3's current aiming w/ looking box system or the camera delay system mentioned above). A button on the wiimote controls firing bow. Arrow type can be selected with the d-pad. Control scheme should revert to Zelda:TP when on the ground with L1 used as "lift-off" to go into 3D flying mode.

What this does is provide a very sweet little control scheme. Platforming in 3D among the clouds is cake cause you can fly anywhere forward and backward all while aiming. But if you need accurate aiming while not flying forward or backward, you get complete control of vertical and horizontal movement. This would help boss battles immensely. Huge boss infront of you. Fly side to side and up and down while blasting away with pixel perfect aiming. Then just release L1 to fly backwards while aiming with target always infront of you.

I love what they did with the idea of the bow being a double-edged sword as well. I haven't even begun to put my mind to what to do with that. Maybe hold B on wiimote and swing wiimote for full sword control?!
http://media.revolution.ign.com/medi...g_3615306.html

The whole idea reminds me of Jet Force Gemini, which could have been a great game, but the control was just not intuitive. With the wiimote, it should be bliss.

Anyway, I thought I share this concept and see if you all were having similar hopes/ideas.

Fire away.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by TheReverend; May 19, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 03:28 PM #2 of 12
how many new ness games have there been since his debut in super smash bros. 64?

edit: one, but it's only in japan, and it took them 7 years since the game in which he debuted in a smash bros.

now, for kid icarus, there are a LOT of fans, so i'd hope nintendo would get smart- but i bet they won't....

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by RushJet1; May 19, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 03:48 PM #3 of 12
Well, Ness was only in Earthbound, wasn't he? I thought he wasn't the star of the other Mother games, though perhaps I'm wrong. I haven't played the others, of course.

With Fire Emblem, a game we never even saw in the US prior to SSBM, we've gotten three games since then. I'd say a Kid Icarus game is possible, if not likely.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 11:53 PM #4 of 12
Originally Posted by RushJet1
how many new ness games have there been since his debut in super smash bros. 64?

edit: one, but it's only in japan, and it took them 7 years since the game in which he debuted in a smash bros.
None. Ness is not in Mother 3. Ness was only in Mother 2/Earthbound.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 07:24 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 06:24 PM #5 of 12
Ness aside, I think that with including Kid Icarus in SSBB, and with the revolutionary wiimote, Nintendo is gonna pull this franchise out of there back pocket. The biggest reason to think this is that Nintendo hasn't (to my knowledge) put out ANY game with Kid Icarus since the original NES game. Why bring him back if you arent going to capitalize on him? Not only is there a huge hardcore base that would eat it up, but also this would be a game that would truly exploit the wiimote. Especially if they try to keep the same idea of gameplay from 2D to 3D.

Hell, I just get pumped everytime I see that pic...

But seriously, is there anything you would like to see in this game? To me, I just love the idea of Nintendo making a game with a flying character. I mean, not one of the Superman games ever made got it right. I just hope that Nintendo could be the first to conquer the 3D-flying-third-person adventure genre that I don't think anyone has succeeded with.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by TheReverend; May 19, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 06:33 PM #6 of 12
Just to play the Devil's advocate, I remember when SSBM was released I thought there would be a new Ice Climbers game, why else would they include a pair of no-name eskimos in the cast if there weren't plans for a sequel. Now in 2006, there is no Ice Climbers game and no plans for one either. My point is: Smash Bros. appearance doesn't mean a sequel.

The Fire Emblem arguement isn't applicable - Nintendo had at that point been making Fire Emblem games consistently, and the only thing Marth/Roy's presence brought from SSBM is opening the franchise up to western gamers. They would have continued making Fire Emblemms weather or not they had been in SSBM, Ice Climbers however was at that point a dead franchise, and being featured in SSBM wasn't enough to revive it.

I do however agree that a Kid Icarus sequel is long overdue, and they seem to have put more effort into redesigning Pit than they did with the Ice Climbers - perhaps there may be plans for a revival? I don't think it's absolutely going to happen, but I sure hope so.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 08:50 PM #7 of 12
Wasn't there a NES Ice Climbers remake for the GBA?

Either way, Nintendo is going back to its roots, trying to relive the NES/SNES days, so..who knows, we just may see some old hits make a return.

That or, we can just stick with the Virtual Console.

FELIPE NO
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 08:26 PM #8 of 12
Originally Posted by kuttlas
Just to play the Devil's advocate, I remember when SSBM was released I thought there would be a new Ice Climbers game, why else would they include a pair of no-name eskimos in the cast if there weren't plans for a sequel. Now in 2006, there is no Ice Climbers game and no plans for one either. My point is: Smash Bros. appearance doesn't mean a sequel.

they seem to have put more effort into redesigning Pit than they did with the Ice Climbers - perhaps there may be plans for a revival? I don't think it's absolutely going to happen, but I sure hope so.
You are right about SSBB appearance doesn't mean a game. I wish it did. :biggrin:

But seriously, the biggest reason the idea for a game came to mind is what you mentioned. The exquisite redesign of Pit. It's so beautiful it makes one cry. If they have a Kid Icarus game playable at E3 next year, they win this new generation hands down.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 12:43 PM #9 of 12
Originally Posted by Dayvon
Why bring him back if you arent going to capitalize on him?
Letse. Because IGN ran a whole article about the one picture of the Pit trophy from SSBM and treated it as confirmation that he was playable in the game. The limp wristed one eyed brain dead gamers that read IGN, latched onto this and began to worship Pit. Never mind that 90% of them had never even played Ki Icarus, Pit was their new favorite character. Then when the game came out and Pit was not playable these posse of morons thought that they had been robbed and demanded Pit be included. But you see this pack of people was so mindless that whenever the horrible "what chracter should be included int he next smash brothers?" threads popped up they'd race in there and DEMAND the inclusion of "Kid Icarus" as if they wanted the game cartridge itself to be a playable character. No joke, in EVERY SINGLE SSB CHARACTER thread ON THE INTERNET, you can find at least two clowns demanding this.
Now Nintendo have included Pit because they are wusses and thought the shouts of the collective undifferentiated IGN reading mass were worth listening to.

The Kid Icarus series is a dead as Star Tropics. Did I just call it a series? Sorry it's ONE GAME and a lousy one at that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: May 19, 2006, 11:15 PM #10 of 12
Originally Posted by RABicle
The Kid Icarus series is a dead as Star Tropics. Did I just call it a series? Sorry it's ONE GAME and a lousy one at that.
Wow. A little bottled up anger there.

Have you ever taken the time to think about why people want to see a Kid Icarus game? If your answer is just that there are "limp wristed one eyed brain dead gamers that read IGN" then I think you are wrong.

I personally want a Kid Icarus game for a few reasons.

1. I like the "angel" character
2. I like the greek/roman mythology setting
3. I like bows and arrows
4. I like how Pit is a flying character
5. I like the idea of putting all these in a 3D game

So, can you please not come in here just to blast on my hopes for a game? I mean honestly, if you don't care, then don't care and don't post here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nintendo 4 life
sword master

Member 6938

Level 2.97

May 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:47 AM Local time: May 20, 2006, 05:47 PM #11 of 12
it would be a great game and would be good to play with that controller scheme.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
zelda genaration
+ nintendo = unstopable!
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:30 PM #12 of 12
A new Kid Icarus game could be cool, but I wasn't all that impressed by the NES game, either.
That said, Pit looks like he could be an awesome character in SSBB.

I think a Kid Icarus game is possible, especially with Wii. Whether or not it happens, I dunno, and if it does, I dunno if I'll even get it. That all depends.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Odd's for Kid Icarus / Dreams for the game