Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Illegal Mexican Border-Jumper is called "Hero"

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:06 PM 1 #1 of 50
Illegal Mexican Border-Jumper is called "Hero"

Heard this on NPR tonight.

Quote:
PHOENIX - An illegal immigrant who gave up his long walk into the U.S. to help a boy whose mother was killed in a van crash in the desert said Wednesday that he never thought of leaving the child.

"I am a father of four children. For that, I stayed," Manuel Jesus Cordova Soberanes said in Spanish from his home in the Mexican state of Sonora. "I never could have left him. Never."

Authorities said Cordova may have saved the life of 9-year-old Christopher Buztheitner, whose mother was killed when their van ran off a cliff in a remote area north of the Mexican border on Thanksgiving Day.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

A spokeswoman for the Mexican consulate in Nogales said the office is working to obtain a short-term visa for Cordova so he can come to Arizona and be recognized for his actions.

The 26-year-old bricklayer was two days into his walk and about 50 miles from Tucson when he saw the boy, who had walked away from the crash.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press from his home in Magdalena de Kino, Mexico, Cordova said Christopher had scrapes on his leg and was dressed in shorts despite the desert cold.

The boy had his dog with him and was holding a side mirror from the wrecked van.

Neither Cordova nor Christopher spoke the other's language, but the boy took the migrant to the edge of a canyon and showed him the accident site.

Authorities said Christopher and his mother, 45-year-old Dawn Alice Tomko, had been in the area camping. Tomko was driving on a U.S. Forest Service road when she lost control of the van, which landed 300 feet from the road.

By the looks of the mangled van down below, Cordova said, it was obvious the boy's mother had died. The child was distraught but did not cry.

"I felt frustrated and sad because I couldn't do anything for the mother," Cordova said. "And I didn't know how to console the boy, so I just sat next to him."

Cordova gave the boy the sweater he was wearing, climbed down to the van, and found chocolate and cookies to feed him.

He then built a bonfire, and the two hunkered down. The boy slept most of the night; Cordova kept watch and tended the fire.

Fourteen hours later, a group of hunters found the pair and called for help. U.S. Border Patrol agents took Cordova into custody, and Christopher was flown to a hospital in Tucson.

Christopher was reunited with family over the weekend; a message left with his uncle was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada said Cordova is "very, very special and compassionate" and may have saved the boy's life.

Adriana Hoyos Rodriguez, the mayor of Magdalena de Kino, called Cordova a hero. "He left everything to save that boy," she said.

Cordova said he wanted to come to the United States to earn money to feed his four children, who live with their mother, and help support his girlfriend's three children. "I have two families, many mouths to feed," he said.

He said that even though his trip was thwarted, he is glad to be back home and wishes Christopher the best. "I hope he has a good life," he said.
I found it particularly touching that an illegal immigrant who was 50 miles into his walk across the desert trying to get into the US, and he pretty much ruined his chances by trying to help a little boy who lost his mother in a car crash.

It's good to hear some GOOD news from out there once and a while.

What do you think of this story?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:22 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2007, 06:22 PM 1 #2 of 50
I think that there is a good chance that someone will read this story and offer to sponsor his legal immigration into the US. A lot of people could learn from this man's example of selflessness.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:27 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2007, 07:27 PM 1 #3 of 50
Sure -- fuck it, let him stay. Save an American, become an American. Seems like a fair trade.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:30 PM #4 of 50
Sure -- fuck it, let him stay. Save an American, become an American. Seems like a fair trade.
So if every Mexican does something nice for an American, they can stay?

Because, I mean, they're saving you the trouble of accepting shitty wages out in the orange groves!

(<3 NP)

Most amazing jew boots
the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:38 PM #5 of 50
"Something nice" and saving a life are a little different.

It's like, I'm not going to score citizenship by throwing chocolates over the fence or anything.

Thing is, I don't know that the guy wanted to stay in America indefinitely. Article said he wanted to work so he could feed all of his baby mamas back home. He also said it felt good to be home. Seems like a work visa would make this guy happy.

I was speaking idiomatically.
1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:40 PM #6 of 50
The above was me, by the way.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:46 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2007, 05:46 PM 5 #7 of 50
How do you know he didn't cause the crash?

FELIPE NO
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:17 AM #8 of 50
That's honestly a good idea. Actions like that speak millions about his character and the kind of person that he is. A good, honest, caring individual. He gave up his dream of living in American in order to save the life of a boy that he didn't even know. I think we need more people like that..

Not even most legal american citizens can say they would do that, either that or I just know a lot selfish people.

Most amazing jew boots
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:38 PM 1 #9 of 50
This is a good story. The guy's actually pretty young, but he's got a strong fatherly attitude already. Sure, he broke the law getting in here, I think that can be overlooked considering what he accomplished. I'd imagine the local authorities cut him a lot of slack, too.

Quote:
I think that there is a good chance that someone will read this story and offer to sponsor his legal immigration into the US.
Me too. Hopefully the boy's family or acquaintances can pull some strings, but if not, maybe someone in the community could.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:57 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2007, 05:57 PM #10 of 50
Even though they enter the country illegally, a lot of the Mexican folk are damn fine people. Most of the ones I've worked with at the farm were old enough to be my father, but you'd never find a harder worker. They are pretty selfless at times, which I'd credit to the strong religious ties that most tend to have from Mexico (at least according to ones I've seen). This is a prime example of the religious & personal morals coming in to play.

As much as I'd like to see illegal immigration stopped somehow, I've got nothing against the people individually. It's a nasty quagmire as a result of companies hiring illegals as well as making it ridiculously hard to get US citizenship. Once again, one of the fellas I worked with for quite some time is around 65 I believe. He just got his citizenship across Thanksgiving week, and he had been waiting in queue for years and years. Pretty miserable stuff, really.

But it's also good to see that a younger fella did this. From what I've seen of younger workers (and heard of them), the present generation doesn't seem to be NEARLY as hard-working and selfless as the prior one.

The government turns a blind eye to illegals all the time. They'd better do the same for this fella, particularly given what he has done. Unfortunately, with all the press and media focusing on this, some dick might want to "set an example" and send him back to Mexico. But even should that happen, he'll get in the country. I mean hell, look at the damn route he was taking. Sure as hell is cheaper and safer than getting a coyote. I could go off in to another story along that note but I'll refrain.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Dec 1, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:55 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2007, 08:25 PM #11 of 50
This is a good story. You never hear enough of these types of stories on the news, but its nice to see that someone took the opportunity to help someone instead of looking after their own interests first.

This person is a hero, because that 9 year old child could of possibly died if he never came into contact with that man. Its traumatic enough that the boy survived a horrible accident and lost his mother in the process. It is reassuring that a person sacrificed his own mission to provide money for his family by saving the life of another human being.

I sincerely hope this person gets at least a work visa to work in the USA. As much as I think society is very self-centered and egotistical its good to see stories like this that show the compassion and the desire to save someone's life.

Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:06 AM 2 #12 of 50
Quote:
Cordova said he wanted to come to the United States to earn money to feed his four children, who live with their mother, and help support his girlfriend's three children. "I have two families, many mouths to feed," he said.
well maybe if he didnt have so many kids and then some additional kids out of wedlock by a girl who shouldnt have had some kids in the first place...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:01 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 01:01 AM 2 #13 of 50
You're so right. No fucking wetback should be allowed the right to support any families he sees fit even if they aren't related by blood. FUCK THEM BEANERS.

The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:24 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 02:24 AM 1 #14 of 50
Wow. This story genuinely makes me happy. It's rare that you see such selflessness in anyone.

Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 05:48 PM #15 of 50
You're so right. No fucking wetback should be allowed the right to support any families he sees fit even if they aren't related by blood. FUCK THEM BEANERS.
who said anything about not supporting blood relatives? Im talking about the irresponsibility by having truckloads of kids you cant support

FELIPE NO
Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:16 PM #16 of 50
^ the hell are talking about?
-he had 4 kids he couldnt support
-the girl he tries to support obviously couldnt support herself and has 3 kids

and from that Im saying theres 2 people who shouldnt have had kids in the first place, I never said anything was wrong about trying to support some kids out of a relationship but rather if you cant support children let alone yourself, then you shouldnt have them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 04:19 PM 1 #17 of 50
who said anything about not supporting blood relatives? Im talking about the irresponsibility by having truckloads of kids you cant support
Well, why didn't you say so? Here I thought I was reading this correctly and understood that it was his GIRLFRIEND'S KIDS, not his. I completely forgot about the draconian policies we follow in today's global society where men and women would never think of having relationships out of wedlock or after a divorce.

MY BAD, PROFESSOR.

Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:37 PM #18 of 50
Do me a favor and go to Mexico and hand out condoms. Or do like our hilarious politicians and preach abstinence.

Have you taken a gander at their economy or job numbers? There isn't much anyone can do down there but fuck.
youre good at making at making excuses, Id sure like to bang some broad when I have nothing better to do, if Im lucky shell get pregnant then Ill ditch her for another broad who already has kids why, cause there was nothing better to do right? mexico, fuck yeah!

Originally Posted by Encephalon
Well, why didn't you say so? Here I thought I was reading this correctly and understood that it was his GIRLFRIEND'S KIDS, not his. I completely forgot about the draconian policies we follow in today's global society where men and women would never think of having relationships out of wedlock or after a divorce.
okay, here is my first response in this thread

well maybe if he didnt have so many kids and then some additional kids out of wedlock by a girl who shouldnt have had some kids in the first place...

now it seems obvious Im stating both sides shouldnt have had kids, but Im sure youre excellent reading skills prolly kicked in when you saw the words "wedlock" and "a girl" and you just imagined what the sentence should say

Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:46 PM #19 of 50
You're pretty good at being a self-righteous asshole since being born in a country that has much better options for you.
And Im sure its pretty awesome of you to generalize people in low economic countires have kids only becuase theres nothing better to do.
But lets quit arguing, I dont wanna fight, lets just kiss and make up, k?

Anyway, all I see is that this guy had 4 kids and an additional 3 he took upon himself, I just think thats a irresponsible act as person. Just cause Im not praising him for helping the kid doesnt mean I dont have compassion, I just think most people overlooked a detail that shouldve been more apparent, kinda like a "you bought it upon yourself" thing, you know?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:48 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 04:48 PM 1 #20 of 50
now it seems obvious Im stating both sides shouldnt have had kids
Yeah... I mean, what kind of wretched human being would actually think of, you know, reproducing to pass on his/her genes?

Quote:
but Im sure youre excellent reading skills prolly kicked in when you saw the words "wedlock" and "a girl" and you just imagined what the sentence should say
Oh... So I misread you when you ever-so-subtly hinted that maybe it's irresponsible to try to maintain families that he's "not fit" to support? Let's completely ignore that he's shouldering the responsibility to do so in the first place when he doesn't actually have to; something that, as a teacher, I rarely see among our community (even in these here prestigious United Snakes of America) regardless of race or religious denomination. It just seems to me that you're out to actually fault this man for having attempted to do something for his "families" and even sacrificed THAT to help someone else.

That's ok though... We're Mexican. We got in once, we can sure as fuck do it as many fucking times as is required.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:56 PM #21 of 50
Quote:
Yeah... I mean, what kind of wretched human being would actually think of, you know, reproducing to pass on his/her genes?
more like, "what kind of human being would bring a child into a world that they cant support", now lets multiply that times 4

Im not saying we should dehumanize third world people by not letting them have kids, but rather as a parent, you would want to give your children things they need , but he couldnt do that much and that weight is on him, and now he wants to burden himslef more by adding additional weight, Im not saying thats wrong, but instead, how about looking at the priorities, you know, the kids he had first

Dont over simplify the situation as human cruelty cause I think he shouldnt fuck, but I see it as child cruelty and Im sure you do to.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:11 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 05:11 PM #22 of 50
more like, "what kind of human being would bring a child into a world that they cant support"
You know what? FUCK. YOU. Until you personally know what having to make THAT decision feels like, I wouldn't be flapping my gums.

Quote:
Im not saying we should dehumanize third world people by not letting them have kids, but rather as a parent, you would want to give your children things they need

Which is (HELLO) what he was trying to do.

Quote:
but he couldnt do that much and that weight is on him, and now he wants to burden himslef more by adding additional weight, Im not saying thats wrong, but instead, how about looking at the priorities, you know, the kids he had first
Who says he wasn't? But, like Dev said, do you know what the economy is like down there? Prioritizing lives in that economy is like playing with poker chips down there. MAYBE you can maintain them but maybe you won't. Sometimes the odds are better when you can move to a better table; even if that table happens to be in another country and you will risk EVERYTHING to try to make it work. Trust me on that.

Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:31 PM #23 of 50
Originally Posted by Encephalon
You know what? FUCK. YOU. Until you personally know what having to make THAT decision feels like, I wouldn't be flapping my gums.
wait...what decision? Not having sex? oh good lordy knows that everyones life is not complete without constant unprotected sex and the production bastard children.

I can only imagine your view on teenage parents in the U.S, Im sure you wouldnt be so sympathetic, but fuck me, what do I know? All I suggested was being financially able to have a kid and that set you off.

Quote:
Which is (HELLO) what he was trying to do.
which is how long after they were born? I wonder what finally triggered his urge to support them and to finally stop at 4 kids (oh wait, he didnt). Im sure he's a great guy though.

Quote:
Who says he wasn't? But, like Dev said, do you know what the economy is like down there? Prioritizing lives in that economy is like playing with poker chips down there. MAYBE you can maintain them but maybe you won't. Sometimes the odds are better when you can move to a better table; even if that table happens to be in another country and you will risk EVERYTHING to try to make it work. Trust me on that.
no I wont trust you because you told me "fuck you" and thats not very neighborly =(

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:15 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 08:15 PM #24 of 50
wait...what decision? Not having sex? oh good lordy knows that everyones life is not complete without constant unprotected sex and the production bastard children.

I can only imagine your view on teenage parents in the U.S, Im sure you wouldnt be so sympathetic, but fuck me, what do I know? All I suggested was being financially able to have a kid and that set you off.
What people choose to do with their reproductive rights is their own business, so you should probably help yourself out and get fucked.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:16 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 06:16 PM 2 #25 of 50
wait...what decision? Not having sex?
You know what, chief? If that's seriously the only thought your one-geared mind can mulch through, I guess I have no choice but to go with that.

You'll forgive me for being a dick about this but sometimes it's hard not to be pissed at someone who doesn't grasp the point presented to them. We live in a country where, if it doesn't make economic sense to bring a child into existence, we can "terminate" it as we damn please. If that sounds harsh, it's probably because it is and, you WILL fucking trust me when I say this from experience, it's not a decision that I would ever want to have to make again. EVER.

So yeah... Fuck you.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Illegal Mexican Border-Jumper is called "Hero"