Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] No thread yet? Brave Story is awesome.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2007, 01:03 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2007, 11:03 AM #1 of 21
No thread yet? Brave Story is awesome.

Man, searched but found no thread relevant to Brave Story: New Traveler.

This game started out very, very easy and there seemingly wasn't much to interest a seasoned RPG veteren to keep playing. If you'd have asked me to predict my final remarks after the first 2 or 3 hours, I'd have listed the immediately visible (though not back-breaking) flaws mentioned in the review there, to a greater degree, not said much else, and given it a 5.

As the game went on, though, almost every single aspect got better. There were better things to craft (and in effect, reason to go out looking for certain materials), tougher enemies, deeper battles, and interesting story. It kept getting better all game long, and in the end, I feel very satisfied having played through Brave Story.

I don't think any one game is worth a system's price (possible exception: Skies of Arcadia), but this in addition to other RPGs like Jeanne d'Arc and Gurumin; and other non-RPGs like MGS, Katamari, Ace Combat, WTF, and so on are really making the thing an attractive piece of hardware.

I wrote a review linked below. I searched around, but it seems there aren't (m)any reviews of the English version right now.

Anyway:
Quote:
Brave Story: New Traveler is getting a great rating, despite the various flaws. There are a few of them, but they are trampled by what is simply a fun, enjoyable game. It's got a solid battle system, entertaining story, good characters, and other RPG ingredients done very well--thoroughly enjoyable.
http://rpgland.com/games/bravestoryn...er/review.html

I'll gladly field questions to the best of my ability, if anyone has any.

I recommend this game to PSP owners who like RPGs--comes out July 31.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:42 PM #2 of 21
I've only seen one advertisement for this in an EGM issue I bought, and it reminds me of Radiata Stories, in more ways than one. I think I'd only be primarily concerned about length. Especially, since this is the first PSP RPG I'm seriously considering due to looking a lot like a traditional styled rpg that's not going to be like Generation of Chaos or something similar, hopefully.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:09 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2007, 01:09 PM #3 of 21
...looking a lot like a traditional styled rpg that's not going to be like Generation of Chaos or something similar, hopefully.
It is a traditional, standard-style RPG. If that's what you're looking for on PSP, this is your game.

Generation of Chaos was more of a TRPG-Monopoly hybrid, and therefore, Brave Story isn't anything like it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:18 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 12:18 AM #4 of 21
Comes out on a very special day indeed! But WTF sux.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:52 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 06:52 AM #5 of 21
You're in the wrong thread.
This thread is not about WTF:

It's about Brave Story: New Traveler:

Most amazing jew boots
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:01 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 01:01 AM #6 of 21
You mentiioned it first.
So, I'm unfamiliar with the... anime? Will that affect my understanding of the game?

How ya doing, buddy?
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:10 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 07:10 AM #7 of 21
You mentiioned it first.
You're an idiot. Nowhere did I mention WTF until you brought it up.

So, I'm unfamiliar with the... anime? Will that affect my understanding of the game?
No.

FELIPE NO
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:09 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 12:09 PM #8 of 21
How repetitive are the dungeons? Is it like Valhalla Knights, with the same damn corridor over and over? This game sounds like it might be my bag. It's worth a rental, at least, it seems.

Most amazing jew boots
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:57 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 01:57 PM #9 of 21
How repetitive are the dungeons? Is it like Valhalla Knights, with the same damn corridor over and over? This game sounds like it might be my bag. It's worth a rental, at least, it seems.
The dungeons all *look* very good, aesthetically, though the thing is, aside from the very first and very last dungeons (and a bonus one in the middle, full of treasures and stuff--more of this dungeon opens gradually, so you keep coming back to it), there aren't many branching paths, so it's a very linear affair. Like 95% of rooms within the dungeon have one way in, one way out, with most treasure placed in pretty obvious places.

As well, there are not any puzzles in the dungeons until the very last one.

But they don't really look the SAME, as your questions asks, so I'd say no, they aren't repetitive in that way.

This is not to day the dungeons are "bad," just don't expect a whole lot of challenge from them, as they more or less serve as a linear walk up to the boss. They feel fun to play (because of the battle system, story, and their good looks), there also feels like there's just a liiiiittle something missing.

Great game overall though. I'd say almost any fan of traditional RPGs would enjoy it.

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:05 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 03:05 PM #10 of 21
The US version is getting an additional 50+ hours of content along with other stuff, so it should be at least good for one playthrough.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:25 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 04:25 PM #11 of 21
50+ hrs breaks down to 3-5hrs =d

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:07 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 07:07 PM #12 of 21
The US version is getting an additional 50+ hours of content along with other stuff, so it should be at least good for one playthrough.
Having just gone through the US version, I can say that claim by the publishers is very exaggerated. There's extra content, but...50 hours' worth? You've gotta take a looong ass time in that extra dungeon and reaaallly dawdle on your fetch quests for that to add up to 50 hours. Seriously and realistically, it's probably 10 more hours, at most.

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:28 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 08:28 PM #13 of 21
Maybe someone who fails at gaming will be able to get 50 hours out of it.

Although I guess the more experienced player is going to have no problem with it, especially after having already going through the game.

The JP version didn't really catch my fancy but maybe the extra dungeon will be enough to change my mind.

I was speaking idiomatically.
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:14 PM #14 of 21
You're an idiot. Nowhere did I mention WTF until you brought it up.
"I don't think any one game is worth a system's price (possible exception: Skies of Arcadia), but this in addition to other RPGs like Jeanne d'Arc and Gurumin; and other non-RPGs like MGS, Katamari, Ace Combat, WTF, and so on are really making the thing an attractive piece of hardware."

But I don't see the point of talking about how "WTF sux" neither....

Anyway... I'm not familiar with Brave Story anime, but the game got me interested before I knew the relation with an anime. I'll finally dig up my psp from the dust it was liying in.

How ya doing, buddy?

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 08:00 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 06:00 AM #15 of 21
Quote:
"I don't think any one game is worth a system's price (possible exception: Skies of Arcadia), but this in addition to other RPGs like Jeanne d'Arc and Gurumin; and other non-RPGs like MGS, Katamari, Ace Combat, WTF, and so on are really making the thing an attractive piece of hardware."
Hey!
I said pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 07:09 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 02:09 PM #16 of 21
Just started playing this. Graphics are really impressive so far, but gameplay seems to be too traditional for my taste. If it weren't for the optimistic opening post of this thread, I'd have stopped playing by now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 08:52 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 08:52 AM #17 of 21
I borrowed it out from work, and my initial impression of it was mediocre. However, the more I play it, the more I come to appreciate it. The load times are non-existent. Seriously, it makes me wonder what the hell other developers are doing with the system.

Graphically, the game looks almost as good as Tales of the Abyss, which is really, really impressive. In fact, in a lot of a ways the game reminds me of Tales of the Abyss, save for the battle system.

And yeah, the battle system is pretty easy, but not without it's fun and charm. Killing an opponent will sometimes yield you an "Extra Attack" and you'll get to strike the next opponent. There are Unity attacks with are self-explanatory; the only one I've unlocked is "Partners in Crime" where two characters charge the enemy, one steals from it and the other does a standard attack.

On the whole, it feels like...an inventory/selling system like Maple Story, graphically similar to Tales of the Abyss, and a battle system only slightly more involved that Dragon Quest VIII, and none of those are bad things. I'll be playing it a bit more to determine whether or not I should buy it.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:37 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 04:37 PM #18 of 21
At least there seems to be a good sense of humor in the game:

I really hope the story and character development gets more interesting, because so far, it's all very bland and cliché. At least I've come to appreciate the simplistic fighting system.

Most amazing jew boots
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 02:56 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 01:56 PM #19 of 21
I'm a bit disturbed at the length of the game, considering the size of the game itself on the UMD is only less than 180MB.

But because of that, there are virtually no load times, very impressive for a game like this.

It looks like a cartoony game with a Saturday morning cartoony dub to match. Then again, considering that was pretty much the premise of the Japanese version as well there's no complaints here!

I'll wait a little while and see. Still teetering between Riviera and Brave Story =/

Most amazing jew boots
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2007, 02:16 AM #20 of 21
Just how much do the game and the anime have in common? I haven't seen any of the show, but there haven't been any fluffy, pink things with wings in the game screenshots that I've seen. Does it just take place in the same world with different characters?

Anyway, it's good to hear that the game isn't bad aside from being a bit too generic. Along with several other games (Castlevania, Tales of the World, etc.), Brave Story is looking like another reason why I should pick up a PSP fairly soon.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:28 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2007, 12:28 AM #21 of 21
I'm thinking of trading in my copy of Brave Story in favor of Dragoneer's Aria, but I haven't completely decided yet. Hindman, have you gotten any playtime with Aria yet? I checked it out from work for a couple days and I enjoy it, but I'm tryin to get a second opinion. Both games are good, but neither is particularly stellar, save for Brave Story's amazingly non-existent load times.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] No thread yet? Brave Story is awesome.