Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

best remote access method?

zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:54 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2009, 08:54 PM #1 of 5
best remote access method?

hi there was just wondering what the best method would be for remote accessing my laptop from anywhere, pretty much

any help would be greatly appreciated

kind regards
alex

Jam it back in, in the dark.
smile
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:46 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2009, 08:46 AM #2 of 5
LogMeIn is the easiest (as far as I know) to set up, and they have a free version that lets me do anything I'd ever want to do with remote control. It won't let you transfer files to the system you're remoting from, but that is easily side-stepped by using another method to transfer your files (ftp, upload site, etc.). The free version also lets you transfer your clipboard from one computer to the other unless it's a file.

Btw, I'm assuming you're using Windows. I haven't tried using LogMeIn with any other OS yet.

How ya doing, buddy?
zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:16 AM Local time: Jul 8, 2009, 11:16 AM #3 of 5
thanks, that seems ideal, I'll check it out, oh yeah is it that secure?

edit: I found putty does anyone know if thats any good? I think its encrypted as well

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
smile
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:28 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2009, 04:28 PM #4 of 5
putty is a SSH client. Well it's a package that contains a SSH client an a lot more tools. But a client alone won't help you since you need to run a SSH server on your system to be able to access it with putty.

Also SSH comes from the unix world, so without any fancy additions you'll only get console access to your system. There is X11 support over SSH (X11 is the graphical interface in the unix world), but that won't help you much with Windows.

If you want to look into this I advice you to setup a OpenSSH server on your system and disallowing plaintext logins, but only logins through public-private-key-authentification, which is pretty much the safest method.

OpenSSH also provides a SFTP server, which is essentially a FTP server backed with SSH. It lets you easily transfer files from and to your system.

You also need to make sure that the port where the SSH server listens to is forwarded to the net, IF you want to access it from anywhere.

Anyway, SSH works pretty good for me. I have the SSH port of one of my system forwarded to the net, so I can access it from there. If I'm logged into this system I can access my other machines on the network from there (even shut them down or power them up through magic packets / WoL).

----------------------------

If you need graphical support you should look into one of these VNC tools, like tightvnc. Some of them also use SSH to encrypt / tunnel the data to your system.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:55 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2009, 09:55 AM #5 of 5

edit: I found putty does anyone know if thats any good? I think its encrypted as well
It does use the secure protocol https that most online entities use for financial transactions (eBay, Amazon, banks. etc.), although sites like hotmail have even begun to use it for their logins!

Putty is a great tool for many purposes including remote control, proxy servers, FTP's, etc., but I don't think it is the most user-friendly solution for Windows users.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > best remote access method?