Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

how to secure my Wireless router

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:21 AM #1 of 9
how to secure my Wireless router

ok I got like a wireless router like 1 week ago and I just found out that no protection is up for it (so i suppose anyone who pass by my house can get my connection >.>)

so my wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G v5

I'm a total noob about this thing,the only thing I learn by myself is how to acess my router setting (192.168.1.1) and to open some port for some application. So can someone explain me how to secure my connexion step by step or at least post a website that explain it in detail

just not that I have another computer that need the access to the connexion (no I don't need a network between them I just want the second one to have access to the net and that's it)

thanks ^^

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Inhert; Jun 5, 2006 at 01:24 AM.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 01:07 AM #2 of 9
Ok. Here's what you should do. (I can't look at my router...this is all off the top of my head so please forgive my vague directions).

First off, if you are not using wireless, go into the setting that sets your wireless connection (it'll have B-Only, G-Only, Mixed, and Off) Off. It you are, do the next step.

Under I believe security, there's an option for WEP. Turn that on to 128-bit encryption and set your key. You'll need to enter this key into all computers that are using the wireless to connect.

Another thing you can (but don't have to) do is to use MAC address filtering. Each network device has a unique MAC address. This will further keep other people's devices from connecting.

And most importantly, TURN THE FIREWALL ON and use port forwarding. www.portforward.com

If it's not further and better answered by the time I get home (I have a Linksys WRT54G at home) I'll modify this post.

Most amazing jew boots
gaara-chan
Bonkler

Member 73

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:34 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 09:34 AM #3 of 9
You should also disable the SSID broadcast. That way, you'll have to input the wireless network manually, so if you pick something else than default "linksys" gaining unauthorize access to your wireless network is a lot harder.

I dunno for sure if it's available on your router, though. It's under Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings on mine. I have a WRT54GS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:55 AM #4 of 9
hey thanks guys, I follow your step and manage to understand every thing and set it up correctly, and I even put the mac filter successfully ^^

now I have access to my wireless network with the other computer, my psp and my DS XD

and I guess i'll put the website portforwarding in my favorites ^^

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:29 AM #5 of 9
If you are really, really hardcore serious about wireless security, you should know that:

• WEP is very weak. It can be cracked in as little as 10 minutes.
• MAC filtering is also very weak. Valid MAC addresses can be sniffed out of the air and spoofed.
• SSID hiding will do little from someone who is passively scanning for networks.

For serious wireless security, you need to move to WPA with some kind of 802.1X implementation.

I know some people who are paranoid enough about their wireless network to run a RADIUS server out of their home. You probably don't need to worry about this, so any minimal steps to protect your network will be sufficient to deter casual WAR-drivers.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:00 PM #6 of 9
yeah I read about the WEP and WPA protection, but is WPA as simple to configure then the WEP? if so i may change just that.

didn't know that mac filtering could be easy break, anyway at least I might discourage some people to try to access it XD

and I found out that my psp can find my router prety easily even if I didn,t broadcast the SSID XD but I change the name of my network (don't know if it add more security or not)

I might just change to WPA if it not to complicate to configure will my computer and other things...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:07 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 07:07 PM #7 of 9
There's one reason you HAVE to use WEP instead of WAP that you mentioned in your thread.

Nintendo DS. Yes, this bugger can't do WAP.

So either you use WEP, or you go spend more money on that Nintendo Dongle and set your DS to find that.

But personally? If you turn off SSID broadcasting, change the default SSID name to something weird, turn on MAC address filtering, turn on WEP to 128-bit encryption, turn on your firewall, and change your router's password, yes it's crackable (ANYTHING is really) but nobody's really gonna bother with it unless you're the pentagon or something.

FELIPE NO
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:27 PM #8 of 9
oh I see, and anyway I had the dongle before having this router XD

but anyway like you said i think it's enough XD so i'll stick with that

and thx a lot, now I feel more... secure XD

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 09:55 PM #9 of 9
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep
If you are really, really hardcore serious about wireless security, you should know that:

• WEP is very weak. It can be cracked in as little as 10 minutes.
• MAC filtering is also very weak. Valid MAC addresses can be sniffed out of the air and spoofed.
• SSID hiding will do little from someone who is passively scanning for networks.

For serious wireless security, you need to move to WPA with some kind of 802.1X implementation.

I know some people who are paranoid enough about their wireless network to run a RADIUS server out of their home. You probably don't need to worry about this, so any minimal steps to protect your network will be sufficient to deter casual WAR-drivers.
Interesting, I'm secured using WPA-PSK as RADIUS servers are a little extreme at home, but could you please elaborate on how people can sniff out wireless networks with SSID turned off?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > how to secure my Wireless router