Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

US double standard Policy: Iran and India

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:45 PM #1 of 42
Exclamation US double standard Policy: Iran and India

Anyone has comment about this hypocrisy done by Bush? Recently US agreed to share the nuclear technology to India, and in the same time, US aggressively pointing at Iran and N. Korea to stop their nuclear program.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:48 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:48 PM #2 of 42
I don't really call it hypocrisy though. India isn't giving us the kind of crap Iran is. Really, if Iran weren't threating to wipe us out, maybe Bush would be more incline to believe them and make a deal...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:58 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:58 AM #3 of 42
Yeah, what sabbey said.
India is in no way a threat to the interests of America. Pakistan is.
Iran is a threat to a shitload of countries, specifically the U.S.
India does not have the objective of destroying whole nations of people to cleanse the earth.
Iran does.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:01 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:01 AM #4 of 42
Originally Posted by eriol
Anyone has comment about this hypocrisy done by Bush? Recently US agreed to share the nuclear technology to India, and in the same time, US aggressively pointing at Iran and N. Korea to stop their nuclear program.
Big difference. India is a ally of the United States, and anything that empowers India really diminishes China. So no real hypocrisy... and even if there was; it's politics realpolitik-style so it's a given.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:02 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:02 AM #5 of 42
I heard we also shared nuclear secrets with the French and British. How could we be so hypocritical to not give the technology to China and North Korea today.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:10 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:10 AM #6 of 42
This really isn't the kind of quality we're looking for in opening posts. I'll update the Read Before Posting thread to indicate this, so please keep it in mind for the future.

Speaking about the deal itself, I don't recall the U.S. sharing nuclear weapons technology with India, which is what we're aiming to stop North Korea and Iran from acquiring. Also, the head of the IAEA apparently didn't see the agreement in a negative light, calling it "a milestone, timely for ongoing efforts to consolidate the non-proliferation regime, combat nuclear terrorism and strengthen nuclear safety". President Chirac also praised the agreement.

Speaking of Chirac, he seems to have escaped your hypocricy charge. Which is odd, since he signed an agreement similar to this one with India last month, and is playing a leading role in halting Iran's nuclear ambitions.

(Source)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:39 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:39 PM #7 of 42
Aww, someone that knows how to quote.

Sort of sounds to me that this is just another bush=hypo or bush=tard, etc lame ass topic. Seriously what does sharing nuclear energy technology with an ally of ours (that is starving and horribly over populated) have to do with Iran's nuclear weapon program?

FELIPE NO
Robo Jesus
Your Mechanical Messiah

Member 1543

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:49 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:49 AM #8 of 42
Originally Posted by Fyodor D.
India does not have the objective of destroying whole nations of people to cleanse the earth.
Most of the Hindu spiritual leaders in India have said that they want to remove the Muslims and Christians in India much in the same way that a lot of Germans once said they would like to remove the Gypsy's and blacks and Jews from Germany back in 1939.

Most amazing jew boots
"You can't win, Pilate. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."-Jesus
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:51 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:51 AM #9 of 42
And nuking their own country would be the best way to go about that.

The Indians already have the bomb. Whether or not we share any nuclear secrets with them isn't that big a deal considering that our policy regarding Iran is one of non-proliferation.

Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:28 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 07:28 AM #10 of 42
Originally Posted by Bradylama
The Indians already have the bomb. Whether or not we share any nuclear secrets with them isn't that big a deal considering that our policy regarding Iran is one of non-proliferation.
What secrets are left? Except secrets based on safety the Indians might've missed in their rush for nuclear weapons. My take on the deal is that the U.S. merely provides technical assistence on a domestic use level; so there isn't a nuclear reactor meltdown, and that the proper safeguards are in place.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:00 AM #11 of 42

Listen kid. It's Bush's job to "make friends" with as many countries as possible. Now, admittedly, he doesn't do a great job, but speaking from at least an iota of knowledge, I think we should do what we can to get India on our side.

Besides, hypocrisy is the wrong word. If you let your friend borrow a buck, but not that creepy guy who is always hanging out at the bus stop, does that make you a hypocrite?

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:01 AM #12 of 42
Quote:
That's only true if you don't consider Pakistan a "whole nation of people".
Quote:
Brady is dead-on here. The goal with Iran is to prevent obtaining a nuclear weapon. Once a country already has it, there's not much we can really do.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:04 AM #13 of 42
The thing is, the Indians are not barbaric enough for that possiblity to be a real threat. At least, their government isn't.

If they want to stay happy taking our jobs through outsourcing, they best behave themselves.

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:25 AM #14 of 42
Pakistan and India doesn't like each other very much. It makes me feel uneasy that India is producing more of this stuff. Peace is as fragile in South Asia as in the Middle East.

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:31 AM #15 of 42
Okay, but does everyone understand that violent tendencies are inversely proportional to standard of living? And that (due to outsourcing, mostly) the standard of living in India keeps going up at an alarming rate?

Most amazing jew boots
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:34 AM #16 of 42
If you are right, this sounds like a giant clusterfuck in the brewing .

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:29 AM #17 of 42
I think that I remember hearing on NPR that Bush wanted to REALLY limit India's weapons producing capabilities, something to the tune of about 3-4 bombs/year, whereas India wanted about 5 times as much. Soo... I dunno. I searched NPR's site, but couldn't find anything about it.

As for the topic itself, as much as it's a rarity (especially considering how much I disagree with Bush), I have to agree with pretty much everyone here. Iran's basically been about as hostile as they can be without openly declaring war, while India's actually been pretty kind to us. While it's a bit disconcerting that they didn't sign the non-proliferation treaty, I think that since they already have a bomb, there's nothing we can do, so why not make sure they don't blow themselves to kingdom come?

Oh, and I fucking love your sig, Semper.

Last edited by The_Griffin; Mar 5, 2006 at 11:34 AM.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:20 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:20 AM #18 of 42
Well done guys. I think it's fair to say that everyone already knows why the US supports countires like India and tries to suppress those like Iran, even eriol here probably knows that. The point he's trying to make though is that America is being hypocritical about the way it does it.

Bush endlessly preaches about spreading democracy, ending nuclear proliferation etc. He uses these as the absis for war with Iraq, etc. However at the same time, here America is supporting oppressive regimes such as Saudia Arabia and Pakistan while denouncing the the democratically elected Venezuelan and Palestinian governments. America does all it can to stop Iran having anything to do with nuclear weapons, energy while agrees to share nuclear technology with India.

We all know why Bush/America supports these countries over others, because they are friendly and supportive of US interests. It's just that's not the reason we're told, instead we get the bullshit freedom/sercurity line. And in that sense eriol is on the money.

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:25 AM #19 of 42
I don't agree with Bush at all, in my opinion, we shouldn't have nuclear weapons anywhere... much too dangerous. Nothing is worth all of humanity and a planet we can live on.

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:28 AM #20 of 42
But that's not the debate we're having here. maybe start your own thread about the evils of nuclear weaponry and the money wasted on it.

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:17 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:17 PM #21 of 42
Quote:
We all know why Bush/America supports these countries over others, because they are friendly and supportive of US interests. It's just that's not the reason we're told, instead we get the bullshit freedom/sercurity line. And in that sense eriol is on the money.
Isn't the reason being given for why we won't let Iran get the bomb because they have a President who has publicly claimed the desire to destroy the nation of Israel? Do you even watch the news, or what?

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:39 PM #22 of 42
Apparently he doesn't read threads either. He seems to have missed my air-tight friend vs. bum in bus station analogy.

Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:35 PM #23 of 42
It's sort of hard to argue with you when you, eriol, ignore the fact that Iran has been petulant and non-chalant about going on with nuclear development. They've ignored talks and agreements, so on and so forth.

There is a better argument to be made for Bush extending a nuclear agreement towards Pakistan, but that'd be shortlived too.

Wouldn't be as stupid is all.

FELIPE NO
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:57 AM #24 of 42
Originally Posted by Bradylama
Isn't the reason being given for why we won't let Iran get the bomb because they have a President who has publicly claimed the desire to destroy the nation of Israel? Do you even watch the news, or what?
Yes. The existence of Israel helps American interests in the region so of course they're going to oppose any country that opposes Israel.

I dunno maybe I've delved off topic but I was talking about a bigger picture than just Iran and India.

And since Minion decides that's one's worth is wethor or not they ignore his piss weak analogies or not.
Originally Posted by Minion
Besides, hypocrisy is the wrong word. If you let your friend borrow a buck, but not that creepy guy who is always hanging out at the bus stop, does that make you a hypocrite?
No that doesn't but let's say your policy was "I will not lend a buck" then it does.

America is constantly ramming the "end nuclear proliferation" line not just for Iran but across the board and now they go and share technology with India.

Originally Posted by gukarma
It's sort of hard to argue with you when you, eriol, ignore the fact that Iran has been petulant and non-chalant about going on with nuclear development. They've ignored talks and agreements, so on and so forth.
Ignore the fact that Iran haven't been the aggressor in war for centuries yet India have fought Pakistan on three occasions and China on one in the past century and then one day declared themselves a nuclear power and tested a bomb to prove it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:26 PM #25 of 42
War isn't the only indication that a country is dangerous, though.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > US double standard Policy: Iran and India