Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

This is a Cop. He controls black people.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 04:05 PM 1 #26 of 61
if any pigs try to taze me imma pull out my gat

usa usa usa

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 06:35 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 06:35 PM #27 of 61
Are there any statistics on tasers becoming more available to police officers?
I didn't find any good sources showing the rate of availability for tasers, compared to the rise in taser use, or for taser availability by itself. Admittedly, that's also not what I was looking for at the time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:39 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 01:39 PM #28 of 61
The Largest Street Gang in America hint: It's cops

Preview: The first case on this video is about a sixteen year old boy who was walking on an overpass, fell over, and then was tased by officers on the ground below 11 times.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:26 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 02:26 PM #29 of 61
There's not much justification for the cops' actions in the first half of that video, but the principle behind the second part doesn't strike me as blue wall of silence so much as sound reasoning (even if some of those officers are way too edgy for their own good). I fully expect people would take a form home with them and fill it out with falsified info just to put pressure on police or to try to leverage money from the dept.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Skexis; Aug 22, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 03:09 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 03:09 PM #30 of 61
Fuck you. Nobody is obligated to identify themselves to a police officer for access to internal affairs. The idea that cops can ever be justified in intimidating citizens is wrong thinking.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 03:24 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 03:24 PM #31 of 61
Fuck you. Nobody is obligated to identify themselves to a police officer for access to internal affairs. The idea that cops can ever be justified in intimidating citizens is wrong thinking.
No, but coming into a station with only the vaguest details (read: none) and outright refusing to identify oneself to an officer is what it is. Suspicious.

If I had a complaint with an officer and I didn't want to give them my identification, I would say "I'm not comfortable giving you that info." Which tells the officer a lot more than "Nah, that's cool" and trying quickly to walk away.

I can understand the reasoning behind not wanting to get into the details of a complaint against an officer, and I can see a law-abiding citizen not wanting to do so. I really can. But without anything to go on, why should the opposite be true of Police and subvert the public trust by allowing everyone to get the form and make up details/injuries later?

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:09 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 04:09 PM #32 of 61
ok I'm going to roleplay a cop for a second

I'm going to need to see your ID. If you're going to file a complaint I need to see some identification.

"I'm not comfortable giving you that info."
WHAT ARE YOU DOING COMING HERE INTO MY POLICE STATION AND REFUSING TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF? DO YOU KNOW I CAN ARREST YOU FOR REFUSING TO COMPLY? IDENTIFY YOURSELF OR GET OUT OF MY POLICE STATION.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:37 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2009, 08:37 PM #33 of 61
WHAT ARE YOU DOING COMING HERE INTO MY POLICE STATION AND REFUSING TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF? DO YOU KNOW I CAN ARREST YOU FOR REFUSING TO COMPLY? IDENTIFY YOURSELF OR GET OUT OF MY POLICE STATION.
"You haven't arrested me, officer, and I haven't committed an offense. I don't have to comply to anything yet. But if you don't want to give me the form I know you have, then I'm going to leave peaceably."

At no point do you want to give them ammunition for "resisting arrest" or "disorderly conduct." Unfortunately a lot of the people in the second chapter do.

Of course, this is Texas penal code, so some states may have it tougher than others.

My point is that there's a way to avoid a confrontation, and if an officer tells you to leave, then staying there and persisting with the same question he's refused to answer is really just stupid. Don't poke the bear. Accept the reality that's right in front of you and go through a different channel.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:29 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2009, 02:29 PM 1 #34 of 61
Okay, except the testers weren't dressed or behaving like a pleasant white guy, Skexis. The whole point of the test is to demonstrate how police departments disenfranchise people, and the people they disenfranchise are going to be poor minorities, with poor communication skills. Or did you not pick up on the fact that the testers were ex-cops and knew exactly how they could handle police if they really wanted a form?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:01 PM 1 #35 of 61
"You haven't arrested me, officer, and I haven't committed an offense. I don't have to comply to anything yet. But if you don't want to give me the form I know you have, then I'm going to leave peaceably."
"After we're done having this peaceful and not stressful conversation, would you like to join me for a spot of tea at the local parlor? Perhaps we can discuss monocle-polishing techniques, hmmmm"

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:06 PM 4 #36 of 61

At no point do you want to give them ammunition for "resisting arrest" or "disorderly conduct." Unfortunately a lot of the people in the second chapter do.

Of course, this is Texas penal code, so some states may have it tougher than others.

My point is that there's a way to avoid a confrontation, and if an officer tells you to leave, then staying there and persisting with the same question he's refused to answer is really just stupid. Don't poke the bear. Accept the reality that's right in front of you and go through a different channel.
It kind of bothers me that you think that there is a specific sequence of words that, once repeated, will grant the speaker immunity from cop dickishness. I find it equally disturbing that you feel a need for such a script to be recited, that by simply saying "no" the civilian somehow deserves to be treated like that.

Most amazing jew boots
SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:31 PM #37 of 61
"You haven't arrested me, officer, and I haven't committed an offense. I don't have to comply to anything yet...
To be quite honest Skex, most officers are going to pretty much cut you off right there and start pressuring you back. Don't ever say you don't have to comply with what a cop says, because they'll more often then not find a way to MAKE you comply.

I was speaking idiomatically.

I have nothing clever to put here.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:23 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2009, 09:23 PM #38 of 61
It kind of bothers me that you think that there is a specific sequence of words that, once repeated, will grant the speaker immunity from cop dickishness. I find it equally disturbing that you feel a need for such a script to be recited, that by simply saying "no" the civilian somehow deserves to be treated like that.
It kind of bothers me that people think cop dickishness is universal and unavoidable.

I don't think there is a goddamn abracadabra phrase, I think there's a way to appeal to someone's sense of right and wrong without being foolish. You're whitewashing the whole thing, though. Parts of the video were worse than others, and suggesting I approve of strip searching an assault victim without cause serves your own ego better than any point you wanted to make.

The bottom line is that if cops didn't practice preventative measures (i.e. detaining suspicious people) then everyone would be up in arms about how many murderers, drug dealers and rapists were simply walking the streets. The fact that cops have a great deal of flexibility in how and why they detain people is what you're angry at. Not the fact that anyone can't walk in and get a form without at least the scarcest of details.

And if you could not treat me like a five year old, that would be just peachy too.

Brady, the point of the video I saw (in plain writing, no less) was that the cops pressure anyone and everyone regardless of color or creed into doing what they say just because they're all power-hungry. Which is not true.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Starf**kers Inc
Dick him dan. Dick him for SATAN

Member 31899

Level 3.09

Oct 2008

Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:30 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 03:30 AM #39 of 61
Attitudes Towards armed officers

I think it's cute that foreigners assume Americans are all armed 24/7.
As much as i wish i could argue that (im english) i think this clip speaks volumes about English attitudes to this subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDZjS2BT08

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Starf**kers Inc; Aug 23, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: embedded video didnt show
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:45 PM #40 of 61
It kind of bothers me that people think cop dickishness is universal and unavoidable.
really because I was only talking about the film in question so...

I whole-heartedly believe that your "just say this" statement is false and grounded in naivete. You don't have to give them ammunition for disorderly conduct, they can find it themselves.

Also if you can explain to me how preventative measures come in when asking for complaint forms plz

Last edited by Sarag; Aug 23, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:27 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2009, 10:27 PM #41 of 61
murderers, drug dealers and rapists

That implies these people did something to warrant being treated like a criminal. I fully understand the cops in the vids are a very small minority, but the victims we're not guilty of anything yet, did not have prior records, and in some of the worst cases (see: the bart shooting) were subjected to profiling.
It's true, you don't have to have done something wrong to be detained. You do to be arrested. This film makes no distinction between the two and I'd be curious which cases were treated as one or the other. It's one of the reasons alarm bells are ringing in my head.

I am resistant to what amounts to a propaganda video. Yes, some officers can and will abuse their power, because the nature of the job is such that it will attract power-hungry people. But my original post was discussing the principle behind why the officers would not want to give the form out and not the actions of the officers.

really because I was only talking about the film in question so...

I whole-heartedly believe that your "just say this" statement is false and grounded in naivete. You don't have to give them ammunition for disorderly conduct, they can find it themselves.

Also if you can explain to me how preventative measures come in when asking for complaint forms plz
Brady wanted to play make-believe, so I played along. I said what I would have said to an officer of the law. If you don't like how I said it, that's another thing. There's also nothing stopping someone from playing nice with the guy or using a joke to break the ice, but I prefer to be straightforward and speak without guile, so if the example officer decided to detain me for whatever reason, I have no legal recourse. I may not enjoy time spent in a cell for nothing, and I may go to internal affairs to suggest cooler heads need to prevail over in precinct 32, but my outrage would be proportionate to whatever they had done to me. The race issue is another can of worms, but I'll just say if I was a black man I'd probably be considerably more pissed depending on how I was treated.

The 'ammunition' thing was the wrong way to say what I wanted. Aside from arresting people who are clearly guilty due to evidence in hand, officers have a duty to keep crimes from being committed, and part of that is detaining people who may have or may be intending to commit a crime.

Asking for a form, obviously is not a crime, since I've already granted that a person should have a right to get a complaint form, but if your behavior is such that you are fidgety and/or avoid direct questioning, that is suspicious, and makes a cop wonder what you have to hide. Maybe it's nothing. But it's within their power to detain a person (not arrest them) for something like that. I don't have to agree with it to know it's true when I walk into a station and ask for a form. Which is why I phrased the response like I did, straightforwardly, addressing their concerns if not their questions.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:21 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2009, 11:21 PM #42 of 61
Fuck principles. They are public servants, and it is their duty to serve requested forms.

So long as police unions keep using their dues to fight prosecutions of officers under investigation for abuses of power to murder, all police are culpable for those crimes.

Excusing their behavior is the source of the problem. Americans have this bizarre infatuation with power and a deference to authority that should not exist in a free society. Who gives a shit if somebody is acting suspicious? Acting suspicious is not a crime.

Most amazing jew boots
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:06 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 05:06 AM #43 of 61
Fuck principles. They are public servants, and it is their duty to serve requested forms.
You'll notice there's no video of a precinct that served the forms. Because it's not inflammatory and doesn't serve an anti-police agenda.

Quote:
Excusing their behavior is the source of the problem. Americans have this bizarre infatuation with power and a deference to authority that should not exist in a free society. Who gives a shit if somebody is acting suspicious? Acting suspicious is not a crime.
Which is why no one can arrest such a person. Don't mistake my comments here as some kind of misguided patriotism. I just recognize the need for peace officers to be able to use their own judgment in capturing criminals. I may not agree with the degree or the circumstances in which they use it, but by necessity you cannot have a police force that always serves the will of individual community members. Talking about a free society is kind of moot in this case unless you advocate shotgun justice.

What does it matter? If you write a bunch of bullshit on that form I'm sure someone will see through it. However, if you have a viable complaint why should your nervousness or unwillingness to just give the cops your information exclude you from getting a form?
It shouldn't. You're trying to make my argument out to be something it's not. I'm more concerned that everyone seems ready to gloss over the police point of view and that it isn't simply spite guiding these officers to say what they're saying. I prefer to grey the lines when I see stuff like this because frankly it bothers me when the first thing everyone grabs is the pitchforks.

A few days ago, reading this thread, tighter taser procedures struck me as a very good idea. It still does. But I can think that, and still simultaneously understand the hesitation an officer would feel at giving out a form to someone clearly agitated and trying at all costs to avoid police contact of any kind (not simply with the officer they're accusing.)

Don't make me out to be a bad guy simply because I'm not calling for blood in 100% of cases shown here.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:49 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 07:49 AM #44 of 61
100% of the cases shown here are clear abuses of police power. If you aren't calling for blood then you are in fact the bad guy.

Looking at things from the police perspective is irrelevant. If we did, though, we'd have to arrive at the realization that the police are belligerent to any attack or complaint against officers or departments because the police are in effect a class of their own. Police unions are uniquely evil in that the nature of police work means that abuses of power are an inevitability, either by accident or intent. It's in the interest of every cop to cover each other's ass lest they end up finding themselves being buttfucked by some liberal prosecutor as well. That is the brotherhood of police, that is the blue wall of silence.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:30 PM #45 of 61
You'll notice there's no video of a precinct that served the forms. Because it's not inflammatory and doesn't serve an anti-police agenda.
If there was one precinct that served the form, would that invalidate all the rage against the precincts that did not?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:42 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 12:42 PM #46 of 61
With neither of us being in the police and having first hand experience, I don't think there's much more to say except "I believe differently." I acknowledge the blue wall of silence exists, and I acknowledge the need for watchdog groups, but I don't say it's universal.

Maybe it is naivete. I'm certainly no stranger to it. But this whole form scenario strikes me less as clear cut abuse and more as social norms colliding. (i.e. duty as an officer vs. duty to community)

If there was one precinct that served the form, would that invalidate all the rage against the precincts that did not?
It would make the police seem less like a collective, abusive entity. There might have been not just one, but 18! or 50%! But the fact that we don't know (and the video makes no attempt to convince us otherwise) gives me pause. I think it's great that the site the video links has not just a wall of shame, but a section for praiseworthy officers and precincts.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Skexis; Aug 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:17 PM #47 of 61
It would make the police seem less like a collective, abusive entity.
I don't really care what the police seem to be. All I care about is getting a complaint form without being harassed, when I need it, where I need it.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:41 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 01:41 PM #48 of 61
I don't really care what the police seem to be. All I care about is getting a complaint form without being harassed, when I need it, where I need it.
So here's your choices. Reality time. You have to accept that there will be some people who don't want to give it to you. That means you can either A) run your head against a brick wall, or you can B) take advantage of watchdog groups and alternative channels to achieve the same ends. This is what I said from the beginning.

Is it sad that you can't simply get the form from anywhere and anyone you like? Yeah. Unfortunately that's kind of the way the world works. It just so happens personal grievances against police officers isn't high on a lot of congresspeople's priority lists right now.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:52 PM #49 of 61
This coming from the guy who would just calmly and rationally discuss why he is not going to provide identification to a pissed-off cop?

Yeah, I'm buying your reality check.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:59 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2009, 01:59 PM #50 of 61
This coming from the guy who would just calmly and rationally discuss why he is not going to provide identification to a pissed-off cop?

Yeah, I'm buying your reality check.
Like I said. Brady wanted to do a theoretical. If I was really in a position where I wanted to file a complaint, the first words out of my mouth would be
"I"m Jackson Awesomeface, and you need to give me a complaint form. What about? How about Officer Tweedledee that punched me in the face for a traffic stop on August 18. You need my license? Here."

But I couldn't do that for obvious reasons because we're talking about people who are scared of the police and refuse to give out their info.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > This is a Cop. He controls black people.