Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 63 Voting/WEEK 64 Nominating

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 09:17 PM #1 of 85
Song of the Week - WEEK 63 Voting/WEEK 64 Nominating

Week 63 Voting is closed.
Week 64 Nominating is restricted.

Week 63 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Final Result:
1st: Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean
2nd: REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto
3rd: CRISS†CROSS ~ CROSS†CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 64 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here are the links to the corresponding threads at the other forums:
- Chudah's Corner
- Soundtrack Central

~~~~

Sorry about the delay, folks. There was an unexpected event I had to attend today, which took up the whole afternoon.

And then our thirty minute drive back took two and a half hours because a semi rolled over on I-80.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jun 25, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:28 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 11:28 PM #2 of 85
Holy cow, some stiff competition this time. Should've waited for a quasi-dead week to nominate MW2.

Most amazing jew boots

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:43 AM #3 of 85
Originally Posted by CHz
And then our thirty minute drive back took two and a half hours because a semi rolled over on I-80.
For a minute I read that as "I semi rolled over on I-80" and I was like WHY ARE YOU NOT IN THE HOSPITAL?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:38 AM #4 of 85
To David, I just wouldn't nominate MechWarrior 2 period, but that's just me.

3 points: Dune Spice Opera - Exxos - Revelation
2 points: REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto
1 point: Transformation - Mahou Shoujo Ai 2 Full Arrange Album - title arrange "difference for you"
Close: Enthusia Professional Racing Original Soundtrack - Running To Horizon [OCEAN BRIDGE]

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:55 AM #5 of 85
Throwing up a nomination. I'll give points later.

Album: Phantom Brave Original Soundtrack
Title: Game Breaker
Track Number: 1-12
Composer: Tenpei Sato
Catalog Number: SLPS-20344
Year: 2004

Ok, here's some points.

3 Points: CRISS†CROSS ~ CROSS†CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves

Funny story about this track. I was considering nominating Airwaves at some point down the road, but didn't know it's name. If this track sounds mysteriously familiar, slap yourself now. It's the in-game music for Nanaca Crash.
I asked CHz if he knew where to find it and he kind of choked, since it was already on his server space for nomination. When CHz posted his nomination, he said "sup crash", which was both a taunt at me and a comment on the track's in-game use. But I've been anticipating this week for a while since I've always thought this was a kickass, rockin' tune.

1 Point: Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

The drums are nice and I like the light, choral atmosphere. It builds well by the end also.

1 Point: TimeSplitters (Game Rip) - 1970 Chinese

Kinda offbeat but with plenty of character. It's grown better with repeated listens.

1 Point: Enthusia Professional Racing Original Soundtrack - Running To Horizon [OCEAN BRIDGE]

It's not really a surprise that this track is enjoyable. Not as good as others in the album but refreshingly shorter. And I do like jazzy tracks oh so much. <3

This was a very well-rounded week. I expect some very strong competition by Sunday's results.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Jun 20, 2006 at 03:11 AM.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:03 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 02:03 PM #6 of 85
Quote:
Album: Phantom Brave Original Soundtrack
Title: Game Breaker
Track Number: 1-12
Composer: Tenpei Sato
Catalog Number: SLPS-20344
Year: 2004
If I'm not incorrect this ost has already been nominated thrice

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:16 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 07:16 AM #7 of 85
Originally Posted by Liontamer
To David, I just wouldn't nominate MechWarrior 2 period, but that's just me.
You're a bad mens, Larry. I've heard some weeks where this track would've completely DOMINATED. :P

2 points: Nanaca Crash (lol)
What can I say? This tune just doesn't get old even after hundreds of repeat listens, and has entertained me for many an hour. ZU-BAAAAN!!!!

2 point: Uncharted Waters Online
So much gratuitous sax and violins, but I don't care. I likes it.

1 point: Enthusia
lol groove bias. How many times has this soundtrack been nominated (including BSC)? You'd think this, Drag-on Dragoon 2, and anything Wild ARMS would be ineligible by now.

1 point: MechWarrior 2
I think it's my duty to give this track the only point it will get this week.

NICE TRY ZARFLAX: Dune Spice Opera
lol shakahuchi. And seriously, what kinda name is "Dune Spice Opera"?

Close but no soup for you:
Rockman Zero
Synth guitar and that ubiquitous lead were kind of a turnoff for me, but it's catchy enough.

Timesplitters
lol pentatonic (i.e. "let's mash black notes!"). Decent attempt, but it comes off as too derivative for me. Who knew we'd see the day that Westerners tried to knock off the Chinese? :P

Transformation
Not bad, but I came away uninspired. Fairly formulaic, with minimal variation (lol boom-hiss).

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 21, 2006 at 11:49 AM.
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:57 AM #8 of 85
3 points - Rockman Zero
2 points - Dune
1 point - Uncharted Waters

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:40 AM #9 of 85
CRISS†CROSS ~ CROSS†CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves At first I was afraid that this would be another generic rock track that racks up mad points simply because people hate their eardrums. Then I realized that was only the intro The remainder of the song is a bit synthy for an "arranged version," but it's a good synthy. And no random guitar solo to boot!

Dune Spice Opera - Exxos - Revelation Another misleading intro; this one had me thinking that this would be a piece of ambient trash like the previous Dune nomination. Once the piano and melody kick in, the song becomes 1000x better. There's still some rather annyoing voice sampling going on, but the track isn't half bad overall.

Enthusia Professional Racing Original Soundtrack - Running To Horizon [OCEAN BRIDGE] I think that Enthusia might be pushing it in terms of "obscurity" these days...but I digress. The track is light rock/jazz with synth highlights; competently done and presented well, even if it's kind of boring.

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat (Red Book Audio) - Track 08 I've always felt that MW2, more than many games, was let down by the quality of its synths. It clearly wants to be big, bold, and tuneful, but winds up sounding like it was cranked out on a 1987 Casio. So, while the track has a nice melody and female choir, it's got a lot more potential than payoff.

REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto Rockman? How'd that slip under the obscurity radar? In any case, this track suffers from the malady that affects most Rockman tracks these days--anonymity. While there are some nice synth parts, the whole isn't very cohesive and the melody is rather forgettable.

TimeSplitters (Game Rip) - 1970 Chinese It seems like whenever someone is called to provide an "Asian" feel to a place, they haul out the same old instruments and repetitive triplets. I know that these are actually found in authentic Oriental classical music, but this is still the aural equivalent of scoring all European locations with variations of Beethoven's 9th. A drum kit in the background can't change the fact that we've heard this many times before.

Transformation - Mahou Shoujo Ai 2 Full Arrange Album - title arrange "difference for you" Ironic that the name "difference for you" would be given to something so repetitive. The simple piano melody is almost drowned out by endless techno loops, and even the interlude is nothing but still more techno loops.

Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean The clear winner for me this week, combining lush strings, and ethnic choir, and a percussive base featuring dulcimer (!). I could do without the sax, but it doesn't spoil the mood as much as you'd think it would, and doesn't evoke 1985 Miami the way the instrument inevitable does. A real gem.

Maybe I'm just cranky today, but I wasn't too impressed by this week's lot.

The Point Spread
3 pts - Dance on The Ocean Around the Cape of Good Hope.
2 pts - The Dune Song. Dune Dune Dune Dune Dune Dune Dune Dune...
1 pt - "So they swap murders."

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:33 PM #10 of 85
Originally Posted by ikkei
If I'm not incorrect this ost has already been nominated thrice
I can think of one time, and that was Week 52, where The End of This Passionate Feeling placed third.

Before that, there were a couple Adventure of Puppet Princess OST noms. Sato composed those as well, so perhaps that's the source of your confusion? I believe they're all Nippon Ichi games, which doesn't help matters.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:15 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 04:15 PM #11 of 85
Yeah, I think TS-Chinese is quite cool and interesting, which is why I nominated it of couse. I have not heard this many times before, probably because I don't listen to every single chinese influenced track in the known world. 0_o

Like crash said it grows on you. Anyway, if the best song contest doesn't come up, I should be able to put some votes together.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:33 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 11:33 PM #12 of 85
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
I can think of one time, and that was Week 52, where The End of This Passionate Feeling placed third.

Before that, there were a couple Adventure of Puppet Princess OST noms. Sato composed those as well, so perhaps that's the source of your confusion? I believe they're all Nippon Ichi games, which doesn't help matters.
I wasn't there when they were nominated, but based on the list that CHZ (I think) uploaded there were two previous nominations before the passionate feeling. http://www.songoftheweek.info/docs/n...039_alpha.html

Of course that I don't have anything against this nomination, I love that song, but I think that it would be too much for a single game.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:39 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 03:39 PM #13 of 85
Yes, ikkei is correct. Phantom Brave has been nominated from thrice before.

However, the album retirement rule takes effect when an album has placed three times. If you remember the poll from a while back, it was voted that no amount of nominations would disqualify an album.

Of course, if people now think that Phantom Brave is too well known to be nominated from, that's another matter entirely.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:41 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 02:41 PM #14 of 85
If Suikoden isn't too well known, c'mon, Phantom Brave is just fine.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:38 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 04:38 PM #15 of 85
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
1 pt - "So they swap murders."
Okay, I've got the Strangers on a Train part, but I can't figure out which of the tracks it has to do anything with. Another hint?

Also, for my next nomination, here's another generic rock track that'll rack up mad points simply because people hate their eardrums:
  • Artist: MintJam
  • Composer: Kenji Ito
  • Album/Game Title: 3rd GIG #Crescent
  • Track Title: In Search of the Holy Sword -Seiken Densetsu-
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 4
  • Catalog Number: MJCD-0003
  • Year: 2005
  • Additional Information: As advance warning to orion_mk3, the National PRNRF Council has issued a Level 3 advisory on this song.
  • Source(s): http://www.mintjam.net/3rd/3rd_index.htm

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:28 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 06:28 PM #16 of 85
Uh, FF Adventure is kind of not obscure. And by "kind of" I mean "completely and totally." Neither is MintJam. BUT HEY YOU'RE THE BOSS.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:28 PM #17 of 85
Originally Posted by CHz
Okay, I've got the Strangers on a Train part, but I can't figure out which of the tracks it has to do anything with. Another hint?
I'm gonna guess that it was something of a "criss-cross".

Most amazing jew boots
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:29 PM #18 of 85
Originally Posted by Dhsu
Uh, FF Adventure is kind of not obscure. And by "kind of" I mean "completely and totally." Neither is MintJam. BUT HEY YOU'RE THE BOSS.
Where did someone nominate a FF Adventure song? And I've never heard of MintJam (or if I did, I don't remember it). If Suikoden is allowed, I would think this "MintJam" should be allowed. Unless I just happen to be one of the few people who hasn't heard it.

Originally Posted by CHz
[*]Additional Information: As advance warning to orion_mk3, the National PRNRF Council has issued a Level 3 advisory on this song.
Noooooooooooooo...............

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:33 PM #19 of 85
Originally Posted by CHz
For clarification's sake, the entire exchange:

Bruno: It's so simple, too. A couple of fellows meet accidentally, like you and me. No connection between them at all. Never saw each other before. Each of them has somebody he'd like to get rid of, but he can't murder the person he wants to get rid of. He'll get caught. So they swap murders.
Guy: Swap murders?
Bruno: Each fellow does the other fellow's murder. Then there is nothing to connect them. The one who had the motive isn't there. Each fellow murders a total stranger. Like you do my murder and I do yours.
Guy: We're coming into my station.
Bruno: For example, your wife, my father. Criss-cross.

Originally Posted by CHz
[*]Additional Information: As advance warning to orion_mk3, the National PRNRF Council has issued a Level 3 advisory on this song.
Ah, good. It'll save me the trouble--I am on the National PRNRF Council's Board of Directors, after all

How ya doing, buddy?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:35 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 05:35 PM #20 of 85
"We let in Suidoden," kind of works with anything now.

Also, we have had a Seiken Densetsu arrange piece before. Other than that and some play time put in with Sword of Mana, I've had no exposure to the Game Boy incarnations of the series' music. The only time I've ever heard of MintJam was the Rude Performance nom. Beyond that, I'd think them to be more than obscure enough for SotW.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:04 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 02:04 AM #21 of 85
Originally Posted by CHz
Also, for my next nomination, here's another generic rock track that'll rack up mad points simply because people hate their eardrums
Mad points?

More like manic.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:45 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:45 PM #22 of 85
Originally Posted by Drakken
Where did someone nominate a FF Adventure song?
"Final Fantasy Adventure" was the name of the US release of Seiken Densetsu. And the rules say...
Quote:
if the album/game it comes from has the words "Final" and "Fantasy" in its title, there's a good chance many people have heard it already.
I realize this is a technicality, but I think it can be argued that ANY Square(-Enix) game has had a reasonable amount of exposure already and should be automatically disqualified. If you're willing to let this go though, I've got a few FF5 nominations in mind...

Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
"We let in Suidoden," kind of works with anything now.

Also, we have had a Seiken Densetsu arrange piece before. Other than that and some play time put in with Sword of Mana, I've had no exposure to the Game Boy incarnations of the series' music. The only time I've ever heard of MintJam was the Rude Performance nom. Beyond that, I'd think them to be more than obscure enough for SotW.
Well then, you can expect many more Seiken and MintJam nominations from me. MWA. HA. HA. HA.

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 20, 2006 at 09:52 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:56 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 07:56 PM #23 of 85
Originally Posted by Drakken
And I've never heard of MintJam (or if I did, I don't remember it). If Suikoden is allowed, I would think this "MintJam" should be allowed. Unless I just happen to be one of the few people who hasn't heard it.
The only time I've ever heard of MintJam was the Rude Performance nom.
We've had two MintJam tracks; A rude performance -spicy Jam mix-, as Dr. Uzuki mentioned, and Feast of immorality from the Ryouki II Original Soundtrack, which placed second in Week 45.

Also, we have had a Seiken Densetsu arrange piece before.
Two, actually, both from Seiken Densetsu Sound Collections.

Artist obscurity is not a criterion for track rejection; for instance, in Week 36, we had Jet Black Hatred from the Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack, which was composed by one Nobuo Uematsu. Whoever that guy is.

Besides, one unwritten standard we've had (perhaps we should explicitly add it to the rules) is that the obscurity of the source is not important as long as the arranged track is obscure enough. I point to Chocobo's Happy Christmas in Week 10 as the canonical example of this.

Out of curiosity, how many people have heard 3rd GIG #Crescent?

Also, stop editing, Dhsu. >:(

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 09:16 PM #24 of 85
Originally Posted by CHz
Besides, one unwritten standard we've had (perhaps we should explicitly add it to the rules) is that the obscurity of the source is not important as long as the arranged track is obscure enough. I point to Chocobo's Happy Christmas in Week 10 as the canonical example of this.

Out of curiosity, how many people have heard 3rd GIG #Crescent?
Uhhh...does that mean I can nominate stuff from CT Brink of Time and GGX2 Sound Alive? 'Cause I will.

Quote:
Also, stop editing, Dhsu. >:(
Haw haw, I would like to see you try and make me, sir!

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 20, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:31 PM #25 of 85
Uhhh...does that mean I can nominate stuff from CT Brink of Time and GGX2 Sound Alive? 'Cause I will.
Brink of Time absolutely not, since that's in no way an obscure album in itself. Likewise, no to either of the Black Mages albums and the FF Piano Collections.

I'm not hip to the obscurity of GG albums, but I'd say that GGXX SA is probably also too well known.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 63 Voting/WEEK 64 Nominating