Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Nerdiest possession

Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:19 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 12:19 AM #1 of 61
Nerdiest possession

I'm thinking of buying a headcrab plushie from the fine people at Valve.

I sort of have a problem in that, well, there's no point to it. I don't know why I want it or what I'd do with it. It would just sit there, being an awesome headcrab plushie. I'd Look at it occasionally and think, "that's awesome." Is this sufficient reason to spend real cash on something? If we're really being reductive, I'm basically paying money to increase how nerdy I am. I should offset it somehow by paying money on something cool with street cred afterwards. How much are drugs?

At the end of the day, I like the people at Valve, they've worked hard to entertain me, and it always feels good to give money to people you like. That's why I'm buying a headcrab plushie from Valve.

What's the nerdiest thing you own and how do you justify it to a judgmental Gamingforce?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Kolba; Sep 21, 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fuck, a title typo, can anyone fix it?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:35 PM #2 of 61
At the end of the day, I like the people at Valve, they've worked hard to entertain me, and it always feels good to give money to people you like. That's why I'm buying a headcrab plushie from Valve.
On that same line of thought, I've been considering a Companion Cube plushie thing from them, too.

Aside from that [which I don't have right now anyway], I can't really think of a 'nerdy' possession. I mean, other than video games and such--but here at GF, I hardly find that nerdy.

Though, cleaning my room a couple weeks ago, I did find an old stack of the original-series Pokemon cards, and one of those gold-slab Mewtwo things from Burger King. Does that count?

How ya doing, buddy?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:56 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 07:56 AM #3 of 61
I don't think I own anything that can be considered "nerdy". I do have comics posters up my wall, and my brother has a shelf of action figures/gundams. But I find them pretty common and not that "nerdy".

I have a G.I. Joe shirt, I guess my co-workers consider that nerdy. They're average people anyway.

A big-ass poster of Chuck Norris should up my nerd cred to infinity².

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:00 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 07:00 PM #4 of 61
Oh, I've got lots of nerdy possessions, especially when you include the free garbage game devs give to GameStop employees. A Heavenly Sword letter opener, a Clank figurine, Star Wars figurines (though I've none of those, cuz I think Star Wars kinda sucks), etc.

I do have a few things though that are treasured above the rest -- in no particular order, I have one of the Slime controllers commemorating the release of DQ8 in the US for the PS2, a GameCube MegaMan X controller which, oddly enough, has artwork from X8 on it (a PS2 exclusive), and finally a 6in. model of Burning Gundam from G Gundam, cuz I think G Gundam is pretty awesome, if not strange.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:01 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 07:01 PM #5 of 61
Typically, I'd have to say "nothing". However, I recently got a phone with easily changed ringtones. I found a site that has them up and I just ripped them since I have Quicktime Pro (not legit lol). I picked three rings for three typical things.

What are they?

Ring = Codec Ring from Metal Gear Solid
Text = Spotted sound (exclamation! pop-up klaxon)
New Voicemail = Game over tune from MGS2. Hoped to find "SNAKE?! SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE" but no luck~

That was recent and kind of for a laugh But I've kept 'em because it's distinctive. Plus, unless someone knows of MGS, they won't think that they are odd sounds.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:04 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 07:04 PM #6 of 61
I've got the codec sound as my text message alert.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:09 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 08:09 AM #7 of 61
Heh, me too. I'm was looking for the "Hey, Listen!" clip from Zelda but I can't seem to find it.

So unless someone who knows or played the game hears it, your nerd cred won't budge a bit.

FELIPE NO
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:49 PM #8 of 61
I'm a vintage electronics nerd. I've got a stack of old power supplies, signal generators, CRTs, multi-board computer processors, and whatnot. The pride of my collection however are:
Spoiler:

The former is a good workhorse. Cheap and useful.
As for the latter, there is absolutely no justification for how much I paid for it. It doesn't even work.(The CRT is busted and I don't think anyone offers replacement tubes 30 years after its manufacture.) It just sits there on my desk, staring back at me like some electronic Moai.

How ya doing, buddy?

Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:52 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 05:52 PM #9 of 61
I have a Companion Cube plushie, and a Fruit Fucker sticker on my PC.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:59 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 12:59 AM #10 of 61
My laptop has a Reddit sticker on its lid.

I can't think of anything else.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:43 PM #11 of 61
53 filmscore autographs? (Hans Zimmer wishing me a happy birthday one on?)

A signed picture from Mark Hamill?

A Star Wars book, signed by Timothy Zahn, IDing me with my GFF username?

I could go on all day, each one more tackier than the last

I've got the codec sound as my text message alert.
Goddamn it, I thought I was the only one to think of that.

Sadly, my ringtone with Solid Snake talking will never be finished since I cant figure how to rip the fucking discs for codec conversations.

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Sep 21, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:57 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 07:57 PM #12 of 61
Hm. There's a bunch of ways to go with this. I'd say my collection of actual reels of silent film. Hard to find. Nerdy as hell to keep. There's also the video game collection. The DVDs. The Blu Rays. Signed scripts.

I segment my house. Upstairs looks classy. Downstairs looks like a film nerd exploded.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:58 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 07:58 PM #13 of 61
I paid over $200 for a copy of The Resident's 1976 album Third Reich n' Roll so I could get the Torso Records 1988 Norwegian-import reissue with four bonus tracks that don't appear on the in-print version on Mute Records, though I also have that version because the packaging is different than previous pressings.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:36 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 08:36 PM #14 of 61
Two 100 boxes, One 400 box, Three 1600 boxes, One 3200 box, all full of Magic: The Gathering. Given the people i usually associate with in real life, my large collection of video games should count. Other than that, i can't really think of anything.

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:55 PM 1 #15 of 61
Besides the video games, comic books, and shelf after shelf of anime and manga, I'd say the most pointless, nerdy thing I have is an Ironman Mighty Mugg.

No, there is no point to it. It is simply an overly cute figure of one of my favorite heroes... "Made from 100% recycled AWESOME."

FELIPE NO
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:17 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 09:17 PM #16 of 61
Mine would have to be my collection of 24 stuff. 24 in itself probably isn't considered that nerdy, but owning this much stuff related to it probably is. It includes DVDs, CDs, books, comics, magazines, toys, calendars, games, clothing and other random crap I'm probably forgetting. Here's a severely outdated pic showcasing a portion of this collection:

Thank goodness I don't keep it organized in one spot like that or else it'd remind me of just how sad this really is.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:26 AM #17 of 61

I bought it on an impulse because a comic shop had it.

I fully expect to get made fun of for this.

I've also got a ton of mighty muggs and figurines but this is probably the most worst one to admit to owning.

"Out thought and out fought."
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 08:01 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 02:01 PM #18 of 61
Heh, me too. I'm was looking for the "Hey, Listen!" clip from Zelda but I can't seem to find it.

So unless someone who knows or played the game hears it, your nerd cred won't budge a bit.
I've got "Hey" and "Listen" as two seperate alerts. Never got round to sticking them together. Go here to find most Zelda sound effects, assuming your phone was made in the last 15 years and can play wavs and mp3s as ringtones.

The nerdiest things I own are probably my two Force FX lightsabers, Darth Vader's and Yoda's. The main nerd factor lies in how much they cost more than anything. £110 for the Vader one and £45 for Yoda's is a fair bit of cash to spend on stuff like that. They are cool though and I do get to take awesome pictures using a camera with a slow shutter speed...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:37 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 11:37 AM #19 of 61
I guess the remnants of my once complete Weird Al discography on tape might qualify as a bit nerdy, though I bought those tapes when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and I can't locate any of them today. I'm sure they're still hanging around my folks house though.

Besides that, I do have about 5 or 6 dozen D&D minis figurines, and I bought those in the last few years.

Oh, and my CD collection does testify to a certain obsession with a number of bands/composers, but I don't know if that really counts, seeing as I don't really have that many rare recordings that I had to shell out mega bucks for. The closest I have to that would be my Grateful Dead CD collection, which has just about every studio album they made and that I ordered through a local record store. Now, this may not seem like much, but they are all the pre re-issue editions, since I got into them about three or four years before that happened (and as a consequence had to pay a lot more money for those discs than I would today).

Juggle dammit
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:34 AM #20 of 61
Ring = Codec Ring from Metal Gear Solid
Text = Spotted sound (exclamation! pop-up klaxon)
New Voicemail = Game over tune from MGS2. Hoped to find "SNAKE?! SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE" but no luck~
Dude what the hell, are you using my phone? I had that same setup over the summer, with a background pic of Old Snake from MGS4.

I recently switched it in August to a Megaman X theme though...
Ring = MMX title song
Text = Capcom logo jingle
Voicemail = MMX Boss Intro Splash

Most amazing jew boots
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:38 AM 2 #21 of 61
I guess the remnants of my once complete Weird Al discography on tape might qualify as a bit nerdy, though I bought those tapes when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and I can't locate any of them today. I'm sure they're still hanging around my folks house though.
Tapes? Please.

I own the first four Weird Al Yankovic albums on vinyl. Each one is autographed by Al. One album (In 3-D) is signed by each member of Al's band. I had to attend four different shows over a course of six or seven years and wait in line to get each one Hancocked.

I don't have them framed or anything (yet) but they're tucked safely away. It's my hope that I can get the first album signed by Dr. Demento as well someday.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:43 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 09:43 AM 1 #22 of 61
http://belkanairforce.com/paco/Hey.wav
http://belkanairforce.com/paco/Listen.wav

I too have nerded out my phone. I change my wallpapers on the phone all the time so I have nice collection of ringtones and I often make matching wallpapers for them. This is only a miniscule sample of what I have in my Blackberry's transfer folder:

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:
Because Galaxy was awesome, that's why.

Because this is how I roll~

Miles is the only one who's seen this and actually recognized where it's from. (Then again, we all know he's an übernerd.) Everyone else thinks I'm batshit insane when try to pronounce the ringtone's name as "BUTTSECKSWHAT?!?!"

I used to have a Samurai Champloo one too but I never found a song in the soundtrack that I sounded good on the Blackberry.

A personal favorite of mine and people actually dig the ringtone even though most of them will NEVER know where it's from.

And because, around here, NOT having one of these is grounds for a stoning:

Spoiler:

My new email/text message tone is this:

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: If anyone actually knows where that's from, your nerd cred goes up tenfold.

I also have a Companion Cube plushie, a Wampa plushie, all three of the "Warners" plushies from Animaniacs, the original VHS trilogy release of Star Wars signed by John Williams (found it at a pawn shop in Monterrey Bay when I was in high school for $15) and a gnarly video game collection.

Everything else I own is aimed at offsetting the nerdom above. (Which isn't much.)

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:11 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 11:11 AM #23 of 61
This series of boxes/cases is definitely my nerdiest possession... and it's on display in plain view!

FELIPE NO
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:24 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 12:24 PM 1 #24 of 61
My new email/text message tone is this:

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: If anyone actually knows where that's from, your nerd cred goes up tenfold.
Super Mario 64, duh.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:12 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2008, 12:12 PM 1 #25 of 61
The closest I have to that would be my Grateful Dead CD collection, which has just about every studio album they made and that I ordered through a local record store. Now, this may not seem like much, but they are all the pre re-issue editions, since I got into them about three or four years before that happened (and as a consequence had to pay a lot more money for those discs than I would today).
I have the entire Dick's Picks series. (For those not pathetically obsessed with rock n' roll bands, that's a series of 36 multiple-disc Grateful Dead "official concert bootleg" type releases.)

Also, the reissues sound way better than the earlier CD editions. You should really buy them again.

[/rock n' roll nerd one-up]

Last edited by knkwzrd; Sep 22, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Nerdiest possession