Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Use of the word 'retard' wrong in general, for some...

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:46 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 01:46 PM #1 of 20
Use of the word 'retard' wrong in general, for some...

Palin's campaign against the "R-word" hits snag with Limbaugh - Yahoo! News
Quote:
Sarah Palin's campaign against the derogatory usage of the word "retard" collided with her campaign to maintain her popularity with conservatives today, with confusing results.

A Palin spokeswoman seemed to back away from earlier criticism of conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh. Yesterday, when asked for comment on Limbaugh's use of the "r" word in a recent broadcast, Palin spokeswoman told Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, "Governor Palin believes crude and demeaning name-calling at the expense of others is disrespectful." Today, Stapleton claims the statement was meant generally and she was not specifically referring to Limbaugh. Still, she declined to say that Palin believes Limbaugh's statements were acceptable. Sargent reprinted the email he sent Stapleton in which he specifically asked about Limbaugh's statement.

Palin's non-rebuke rebuke of Limbaugh comes after she called on President Obama, earlier in the week, to fire his chief of staff after using the word. According to the Wall Street Journal, Rahm Emanuel called liberal activists who wanted to run ads against conservative Democrats "f------ retarded" in a closed-door meeting at the White House. On her Facebook page, Palin likened Emanuel's "slur on all God's children with cognitive and developmental disabilities" to using the "N-word," something she deemed "unacceptable" and "heartbreaking." Emanuel later issued an apology to Special Olympics chairman and CEO Tim Shriver.

However, Palin's conservative cohort Rush Limbaugh took offense to people, presumably including Palin, protesting Emanuel's remark. On his radio show, Limbaugh lamented that "our political correct society is acting like some giant insult's taken place by calling a bunch of people who are retards, retards." That comment caused Greg Sargent to request a reaction from Palin's spokeswoman. It also caused confusion over whether Palin believes Limbaugh's public statements - like Emanuel's private ones - crossed the line.

One person who is not letting Limbaugh off the hook is Special Olympics CEO Tim Shriver. Shriver's campaign against the "r" word is the reason Emanuel issued an apology when the controversy initially broke out...
While use of the word "retard" won't fade out of use as a pejorative in the common vernacular anytime soon, it's important for public figures to be an example and avoid its usage. Rahm Emanuel's apology is an acknowledgment of that fact.

It's no surprise that Palin and her staff are willing to play politics with Limbaugh after constantly using Trig as a political prop.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:32 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 02:32 PM #2 of 20
She will be our president.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:40 PM #3 of 20
If Sarah Palin aligns herself with the Tea Party (that is, if they actually become organized enough to become a legitimate third party) she will NEVER become President. That whole 270 electoral vote thing, you know. Hard to split 538 votes among three candidates (Republican, Democrat and Tea Party).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:47 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 10:47 PM #4 of 20
You know Dope, there are literally hundreds of countries in the world that can reasonably be said to have more than two major political parties.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:52 PM #5 of 20
But how many of them have an electoral system like the United States'?

How ya doing, buddy?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:55 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 04:55 PM 3 #6 of 20
The point is I made a joke and Dope was being typically banal.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:02 PM #7 of 20
The word retard bothers me, as it's rather meaningless until we define the verb "to tard" and then establish that it can be a repeatable action. What exactly is a retard that it's been done at least twice over?

I have a similar problem with the word "remarkable."

FELIPE NO
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:07 PM 6 #8 of 20
You're a wordsmithy kind of guy, so if you're making a joke, it's a bad one.

(etymology)

Re- does not always mean "again."

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Worm; Feb 7, 2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: probably should be less of a dick to an admin
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:13 PM #9 of 20
You know Dope, there are literally hundreds of countries in the world that can reasonably be said to have more than two major political parties.
The most successful third party this country ever had in terms of presidential elections was the Bull-Moose Party, which came in second place in 1916 with their nominee Teddy Roosevelt, who while popular was also the incumbent president.

The only thing dumber than catering to anti-tax retards is being afraid of them.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:48 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 11:48 PM #10 of 20
I know you guys have basically always had two parties but that doesn't mean you always will. You've only had your own government for a couple of hundred years, it takes every country a while to come up with a sensible system, you'll get there eventually.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:54 PM 1 #11 of 20
Not sure which is sadder here, equating developing a long-lasting political party to an aging person's need to settle down, or suggesting that Palin is the impetus to do just that.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:25 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 06:25 PM 1 #12 of 20
The most successful third party this country ever had in terms of presidential elections was the Bull-Moose Party, which came in second place in 1916 with their nominee Teddy Roosevelt, who while popular was also the incumbent president.
You have to be holding the office to be an incumbent.

Additional Spam:
great posters say dumb things, thread lives up to its namesake

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Bradylama; Feb 7, 2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:29 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 06:29 PM #13 of 20
Bull Moose WILL RETURN

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:29 PM #14 of 20
lol I saw the wrong dates in wikipedia sorry

guess I got caught out as being stupid t shin 2012 is coming.......

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:35 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2010, 06:35 PM 1 #15 of 20
lol I saw the wrong dates in wikipedia sorry

guess I got caught out as being stupid
You need to get your think on

It's pretty entertaining to watch the fringe right jump through hoops just to make sure they don't divide their followers. As this happened a few days ago, I'm not sure if Palin herself has addressed Limbaugh's comments, but I'd be surprised if she did. Come on, stick to your guns; prominent progressives argue and disagree all the time.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Max POWER; Feb 7, 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: t shin 2012 is coming.......
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:48 PM 1 #16 of 20
You need to get your think on

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

#654: Braixen
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 8, 2010, 01:04 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2010, 11:04 AM #17 of 20
Maybe tard can become the new nigga.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2010, 01:29 PM 1 #18 of 20
That's doubly bad for retarded niggas.

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:12 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 05:12 PM #19 of 20
And here I thought niggas were inherently retarded.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Use of the word 'retard' wrong in general, for some...