Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:38 PM #201 of 608
"I am the reaper" sounds seriously cliche and not very Silent Hill at all. I hope there aren't a lot of lines like that. That kind of hurt. So do the scenes that take places out of Silent Hill.

But it's obvious that a compromise between cliche American horror films and Silent Hill had to be made; the movie has to appeal to the average movie goer and not just video game fans.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:23 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 12:23 PM #202 of 608
Rebirth makes more sense within the context of the story. Also, she may not even be done speaking. You know how evil deities always like giving themselves different titles.

"I AM THE WICKED.
I AM THE REAPER.
I AM THE REBIRTH!"

or some shit.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 05:59 PM #203 of 608
Originally Posted by Eleo
But it's obvious that a compromise between cliche American horror films and Silent Hill had to be made; the movie has to appeal to the average movie goer and not just video game fans.
You don't know the half of it. Have you checked out the blog on the movie's main website? It has some answers to various questions, and one of them is this little gem about why they swapped Harry for a female lead.

Quote:
It quickly became clear however Harry never acted like a masculine character. He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself, screaming and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities.
I'll say here what I said about it in my journal: Fuck, aren't we past this stereotyping shit yet? Apparently in American horror movies, only women are allowed to be afraid. God forbid male characters express anything resembling human emotion or show any sign of vulnerability when a mannequin-raping demon with a giant knife wants to skin them alive.

If that's their criteria for a male lead, we should all hope they DON'T get to make Silent Hill 2 into a movie. Oh noes, James shows EMOTION from time to time! Holy shit, quick, give him tits and a vagina so the American movie-going public doesn't have to feel uncomfortable about a male expressing emotional pain!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Last edited by Amanda; Mar 23, 2006 at 04:03 PM.
Terran Gell
Nurse Demon

Member 1265

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 02:24 PM #204 of 608
I have to disagree there. There was a real difference between Harry and James. Harry was rather weak, for lack of a better word. I mean if I were looking for my only child in a town filled with demons I would be kicking ass and taking names. James however had been through alot. He had reason to be distraut but he did approach the town with a sort of strength. After all, he chose to be there to search for a dead spouse. That takes balls and he could have left the way he came in at any time.

James did show emotion from time to time but at least it was appropriate. Harry jumped at his shadow a bit to often. If they do make a sequal I believe they will keep the lead role male. In this case however, I can understand how they might see it as nessessary.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 06:28 PM #205 of 608
Originally Posted by Amanda
You don't know the half of it. Have you checked out the blog on the movie's main website? It has some answers to various questions, and one of them is this little gem about why they swapped Harry for a female lead.

I'll say here what I said about it in my journal: Fuck, aren't we past this stereotyping shit yet? Apparently in American horror movies, only women are allowed to be afraid. God forbid male characters express anything resembling human emotion or show any sign of vulnerability when a mannequin-raping demon with a giant knife wants to skin them alive.

If that's their criteria for a male lead, we should all hope they DON'T get to make Silent Hill 2 into a movie. Oh noes, James shows EMOTION from time to time! Holy shit, quick, give him tits and a vagina so the American movie-going public doesn't have to feel uncomfortable about a male expressing emotional pain!
That sort of stereotyping is precisely the reason why a male lead which is vulnerable and afraid is perfect. People expect the male lead to be strong, and therefore if they are out of their mind with fear there has got to be a damned good reason.

We are inclined to feel the stakes are higher if the stereotypicaly strong lead can't face up to them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:35 AM #206 of 608
she said: "I am the Rebirth" which is totally true with the story ^^

and I think it was better to take a female role beside then to jsut do harry, because like someone said Harry (male lead) didn't really add something more then a Mother would have done with her daughter and for me it feel just more natural to see a Female main character for the story of SH1, but if they ever do a movie with the story of SH2 they better stick with James XD

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zurc
Mother of God

Member 1572

Level 8.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:53 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 03:53 PM #207 of 608

Pyramid Head actor.

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:55 AM #208 of 608
i wonder how he feels wearing that. i know i'd be happy to act as pyramid head. lucky ass...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:48 PM #209 of 608
Originally Posted by Amanda
Yeah I have read bits and pieces of it. Apparently it was difficult for a script to even be approved; apparently he wanted it so that there was little talking at all. I would have been fine with that.

Originally Posted by Terran Gell
I mean if I were looking for my only child in a town filled with demons I would be kicking ass and taking names.
You say this now, but I don't think you know what it means.

In real life, if reality were flipped on me entirely and I'm going toe-to-toe with demons while armed with steel pipes and handguns, I'd freak out. I'd have the resolve to shave save my own children, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be freaking out.

Last edited by Eleo; Mar 24, 2006 at 09:22 PM.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:02 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 07:02 PM #210 of 608
I'd have the resolve to shave my own children
Laffo.

Part of the female-protagonist issue might be that SH hasn't had the best luck with male leads. Henry was a walking plank of wood, and Harry, while not bad for his time, was still kind of a dolt. James was the best male lead the series has had, and personally I found Heather to be a more believable, more human character. Not that James was necessarily bad, but Heather was the best the series has had so far. The correct amount of freaking out mixed with just enough taste for revenge (spoilers I won't go into).

And it's been mentioned that SH is full of maternal themes. It at least makes as much sense to have a female lead as a male one, even if it's taking liberties with the plot.

Either way, women are under-represented as far as SH main characters go. It'll be nice to see another good female lead, if Mitchell can pull off the Rose role.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:22 PM #211 of 608
Aw man, owned by humorous typo

Terran Gell
Nurse Demon

Member 1265

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:11 PM #212 of 608
You say this now, but I don't think you know what it means.

In real life, if reality were flipped on me entirely and I'm going toe-to-toe with demons while armed with steel pipes and handguns, I'd freak out. I'd have the resolve to shave save my own children, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be freaking out.

I'd be scared, yes, but I would still kick some major ass. People just react differently I guess.

How ya doing, buddy?
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:56 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:56 PM #213 of 608
But, the thing is, you don't know that.

We'd all like to think that with it comes down to it we have the shit to do what it takes, but the reality is much much different.

Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:58 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:58 PM #214 of 608
I won't lie to you. I would leave my poor human larvas to die.

But then, I would probably be consumed by guilt and be summoned to Silent Hill anyway [sighs, then goes after the damn child].

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:13 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:13 PM #215 of 608
I can guarantee that I'd have plenty of difficulty moving around in my pants, being that they'd be plenty marinated in a generous blend of urine and fecal matter. That said, I can't say I'd be much help to my kid. I'd honestly try to keep my cool, if only to keep Emmanuel Jr. from freaking out.

Now if I were alone, that'd be a different story. It all really depends on what kind of freaky stuff I'd be seeing, and whether or not I had the means necessary to defend myself. A steel pipe and a single hand gun wouldn't do it for me, but if I had an AK, some grenades, and a brick my confidence would more than likely swell.

Ideally.

FELIPE NO
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:32 PM #216 of 608
You would take a brick over a steel pipe!? O_o

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 09:00 PM #217 of 608
I've found bricks far more intimidating than long, slender pieces of polished steel.

jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:22 AM #218 of 608
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lewis
I can guarantee that I'd have plenty of difficulty moving around in my pants, being that they'd be plenty marinated in a generous blend of urine and fecal matter.
Hahah, that would be everyone on this board. But I think everyone would try their best to avoid a battle with unknown creatures. You don't know what they're capable of.
In the game it's different, you can run around and fight all you want because life is expendable. Infinite life = do whatever you want, go ahead, take a piss on pyramid head as he's about to slice you, you'll just come back at the previous save point. But in real life.. well, who'd be dumb enough to do what I just said.:lolsign:

Jeff135
Chocobo

Member 1496

Level 9.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 11:21 PM #219 of 608
One thing I'm afraid of for this movie is that it will be too bright. That was the same mistake that Silent Hill 4 which really ruined the Silent Hillesque atmosphere that was so prevalent in all the other games.

Zurc
Mother of God

Member 1572

Level 8.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 04:05 PM #220 of 608
I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but the Silent Hill website is different: http://www.konami.com/silenthill/

First there was Harry's picture, now James'. What will be next, Heather's, Henry's? Silent Hill 5 character pic? God I wish so. That or a Silent Hill remake. Ç__Ç

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Zurc; Mar 26, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:44 AM #221 of 608
Originally Posted by Zurc
I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but the Silent Hill website is different: http://www.konami.com/silenthill/

First there was Harry's picture, now Jame's. What will be next, Heather's, Henry's? Silent Hill 5 character pic? God I wish so. That or a Silent Hill remake. Ç__Ç
So first they had Harry in the tv? If so then they'll probably do what you say but is that all there is to the site? just the tv and those two pictures?

Zurc
Mother of God

Member 1572

Level 8.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:43 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 05:43 PM #222 of 608
Originally Posted by jouhou
So first they had Harry in the tv? If so then they'll probably do what you say but is that all there is to the site? just the tv and those two pictures?
Before the James' picture and SH2's clip on TV there was only Harry's pic in the center (where James is now) and a clip from SH1 (on TV). And yeah, that's all in the site. But when there was only SH1 stuff, there was this code in the background: 33596. Not sure what it means. Oh, and the quote "Now it is too late for me, this town will eventually take me..." (which is taken from the Silent Hill 3 song "Hometown") was below the TV.

EDIT: I just noticed that right now there's the code 38496 (or is it 33496?) in the background.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Zurc; Mar 26, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:12 PM #223 of 608
oh wow, you have good eyes.
The numbers blended in so I didn't realize, it's 38496.
There's also some Kanji next to the middle picture.

Most amazing jew boots
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 01:14 AM #224 of 608
I'm definatly going to see this movie.

Ow and could someone post the tv trailer again?
It doesn't seem to work.
It might be my computer of course

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:07 AM #225 of 608
Originally Posted by Zurc

First there was Harry's picture, now James'. What will be next, Heather's, Henry's? Silent Hill 5 character pic? God I wish so. That or a Silent Hill remake. Ç__Ç
Supposebly it's for a Silent Hill re-release packaged titled "The Silent Hill Collection" for the PS2 that'll contain Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4: The Room all in one package:

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie