Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] The "I too liked Xenogears' second disc" Club

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:19 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 10:19 AM #26 of 78
Yeah, FFXII was gonna be good because they had a number of Vagrant Story goons working on it. Then they said "wait, we can't have this cool Bosch dude be the main character. Let's introduce a few fourteen year olds! "

Given, I practically turned off the game when they repeatedly mispronounced "marquis".

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:32 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 03:32 PM #27 of 78
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Given, I practically turned off the game when they repeatedly mispronounced "marquis".
That and the fact that Balthier isn't pronounced "bal-thee-yay" bugged me a little.

Vagrant Story II was in development for the Gamecube, but apparently it fell through the cracks around the time of the Square-Enix merger. Sad.

Amano was supposed to be doing the character designs and artwork, too.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:39 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 04:39 PM #28 of 78
Yeah, FFXII was gonna be good because they had a number of Vagrant Story goons working on it. Then they said "wait, we can't have this cool Bosch dude be the main character. Let's introduce a few fourteen year olds! "

I played most of FFXII with the sound off so I missed that. The pronounced it properly in Last Remnant though, perhaps they're learning (Or perhaps they used more British voice actors). To give them a touch of credit, Vaan and Penelo are only ever secondary characters throughout the game. One of the things I liked about FFXII was that you weren't playing as the "main" character. Obviously it would have been better without the teenagers shoehorned in but it was nice to see the grownups saving the world while the teenagers just went along for the ride for once.

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:45 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 06:45 PM #29 of 78
Balthier was supposed to be the main character originally. That's why they had him constantly go "I'm the leading man, after all".

WHERE ARE YOU YASUMI MATSUNO

WORKING ON THE WII GAME?

NOT LIKELY

I was speaking idiomatically.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:06 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 09:06 AM #30 of 78
Balthier was supposed to be the main character originally. That's why they had him constantly go "I'm the leading man, after all".
Are you sure? I thought it was Basch who was supposed the main character.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:18 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 07:18 PM #31 of 78
Well I recall reading earlier it was Balthier, and the recent Time Extend EDGE did on FFXII reminded me of it.

Quote:
Main protagonist and androgynous urchin Vaan is often criticised for lacking the ambition and flaws that make for an engaging lead. He may be spirited in the way that all Final Fantasy's recent lead characters have been, but without a believable motivation for becoming involved in the grand drama of dukes and princes he's overshadowed by most of the other six characters who join your party, especially the older Balthier and his partner, the Björk-ish Fran.

It's here that the games reportedly strained development makes itself evident in the player experience. Matsuno originally intended for Balthier, the middle-aged sky pirate, to assume the lead role in the drama. However, the decision was overruled, higher-ups pointing to the relative failure of Vagrant Story, which feature a similarly mature lead, as evidence that the game needed a younger, more effeminate poster boy for its target demographic.

Bathier was sidelined to make way for Vaan, a composite creation made of teen girl dreams and marketing man visions, vanilla to the bone. Matsuno left the team two thirds pf the way through development, ostensibly due to 'poor health' but more likely due to clashes over the direction the game and its story were taking.

FELIPE NO

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:23 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 10:23 AM #32 of 78
Are you sure? I thought the setting was the main character.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:24 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 07:24 PM #33 of 78
More liek

are you sure, I thought the automatic gameplay was the main character that played the game for you

rite...............

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:16 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 06:16 PM #34 of 78
Not to spoil the party, but apparently this is not what Nomura said.

Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:45 PM #35 of 78
WOAH A NEW GAME

STOP THE PRESSES

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:09 PM #36 of 78
Yeah, what the fuck. "Hey so we're a gaming company, and we might announce an undisclosed game at an undisclosed time."

Assuming that's truly all that was said, this has to be one of the most pointless statement ever made.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:31 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2010, 06:31 PM #37 of 78
I love how that Tech demo looks dated all these years later.

It'll happen, but if I may, I propose a sequel to FF8. "Why!?" the masses will say! "Why not?" would say Square.

Most amazing jew boots
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:28 PM #38 of 78
I'm surprised they haven't started on a remake of VI similiar to the DS version of FFIV. I am not a huge fan of VI but I would still play it and might even enjoy it more than the original.

I think more people would embrace a VII remake however and in the long run it would make more money. They obviously know how wildly popular VII is thanks to how many fans it is, the sales of Advent Children and Crisis Core (which is pretty much why almost anyone owns a PSP even though they game ended up sucking).

I see a few foreseeable problems with VII being remade though.

-Battle System: Do you use the original one with just updated graphics or put in something new? For the most part, turn based rpgs are dead. They don't appeal to that many people anymore as most rpg fans are bored of them by this point. So they would have to risk putting in something new and hoping it won't ruin the experience for fans.

- The game wouldn't be as well received as it should be. We are now in an age where people look at the bad rather than the good. Nitpicking seems to be the latest trend and even if the game turns out to be amazing...people will still find something wrong it...either due to douchebaggery or because expectations are so high. Then of course you will have the fucktards who will try to be trendy by saying "DURR THE ORIGINAL IS SO MUCH BETTER...REMAKE SUCKXXXX"

- Which console. It is nice having two consoles that are pretty much on the same level. If a remake is announced it would be incredibly stupid to just have it on one system. Sony fanboys will flip out if it comes to the x360, I mean they are still complaining that FFXIII is available on the 360...imagine how it will be if a game that is pretty much the most known PSX game had a remake that came out on the 360.

- Tifa's breast size. Will they be proportioned to the right size or will they be again oversized in 1080p to appease all the fapping nerds?

I love how that Tech demo looks dated all these years later.

It'll happen, but if I may, I propose a sequel to FF8. "Why!?" the masses will say! "Why not?" would say Square.
It wouldn't make much sense to have one, theres really nothing left to tell.

"Ok here you guys go, FFVIII-2"

"Why? It makes no sense, the story was bad to begin with so why try to continue it"

"Because it is what you guys want!"

"No, it isn't"

("...Whatever")

Most amazing jew boots
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:31 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 08:31 PM #39 of 78
Logically V would be next for a handheld remake. Which is very exciting indeed.

Quote:
imagine how it will be if a game that is pretty much the most known PSX game
Haha, in Japan, perhaps. You know, the place where they hate the gaijin circlebox anyway.

FELIPE NO
khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:42 PM #40 of 78

Haha, in Japan, perhaps. You know, the place where they hate the gaijin circlebox anyway.
V was pretty terrible. I played it some years ago and found the classes part of it to be mildly interesting for 10 minutes then I let the story take over. The Pokemon cartoon had a better storyline than FFV.

And regardless of your feelings about FFVII, it is probably the most known and most played game from the PSX in just about any country it was available in. I do not know anyone that had a PSX that didn't at one time own or play FFVII. Most people here recognize that it was overrated and are tired of hearing about it some 12 years later but you can't take away that it was successful.

To be quite honest I would much rather be typin in a "Xenogears to get remake" thread rather than the 1,456th Final Fantasy VII remake thread.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:55 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 10:55 PM #41 of 78
I think in Europe at least, Tomb Raider and Tekken 2 were both far more popular than Final Fantasy VII; also FIFA and ISS.

Literally everyone I know had Tomb Raider and Tekken 2 and one of the football games. Most had Micro Machines V3, one of the Ridge Racers, Gran Turismo and Worms. Final Fantasy VII sold well but was always something of a niche game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:12 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 04:12 PM #42 of 78
Next in line is another FF4 redux.

This time for Sega Saturn.

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:17 PM #43 of 78

This time for Sega Saturn.
FF4 is the new FF1?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:19 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 04:19 PM #44 of 78
Pretty much. The only thing missing is a WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LIGHT WARRIOR'S KIDS YOU DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT appearing on WiiWare and cellphones.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:17 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 10:47 PM #45 of 78
I see a few foreseeable problems with VII being remade though.

-Battle System: Do you use the original one with just updated graphics or put in something new? For the most part, turn based rpgs are dead. They don't appeal to that many people anymore as most rpg fans are bored of them by this point. So they would have to risk putting in something new and hoping it won't ruin the experience for fans.
I do not agree with that statement that turn based rpg's are dead. If people are bored with them then its their problem. I think the fact that Dragon Quest IX was best selling game in 2009 in Japan shows that a lot of people are still willing to deal with the turn based system.

For me on the other hand, I play both turn based rpg's and action based rpg's, but I tend to enjoy turn based more.

I am kind of on the fence in terms of a Final Fantasy VII remake. What it boils down to, is that if it did ever come to pass it wouldn't change my impressions of what Final Fantasy VII was or what its trying to be. I would still purchase it for the sake of having it.

One question that comes to mind, when I hear somebody mention this remake.

If it ain't broke, why fix it or even better polish it?

Lets just say, if this is what the big announcement will be, these same Final Fantasy VII fans will be bitching for another remake ten years from now. I understand that a lot of money and revenue can come out of a potential project such as this.

If you guys are honestly that desperate to play a remake of Final Fantasy VII, then why not just play the original. Your not that much of a graphics whore to succumb to the Shiny Diamond Syndrome because graphics and sound are probably the largest noticeable differences you'll see in a Final Fantasy VII remake.

Its not in the sense, that I'm against remakes because I already have Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star pre-ordered and some of my games I own are remakes or ports of the originals. It is just I fail to see the point of what a Final Fantasy VII remake can accomplish except giving the fanboys and fangirls something to fap about.

Personally, Xenogears is and for now will be my favorite rpg of all time, but personally I would not want to see that game remade. I enjoyed the game for what it is and even though it had some off sync dubbing and a story driven second disc, it didn't take away my overall enjoyment of the entire game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:20 PM #46 of 78
if FFIV were remade for next-gen consoles, you wouldn't see me bitching one bit.

Hell, I remember way back when Square had it rumored to remake 1-9 on PS2 in the graphics of 10... Then... Spirits Within happened and... yea.

OR HAY GUIZ, it could be a giant cross-over with all the main characters from Square games in one giant RPG! (lawl, traditional RPG, not shiity Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:26 PM #47 of 78
I do not agree with that statement that turn based rpg's are dead. If people are bored with them then its their problem. I think the fact that Dragon Quest IX was best selling game in 2009 in Japan shows that a lot of people are still willing to deal with the turn based system.
Well that is the problem right there. What sells in Japan doesn't always sell well in North America or Europe. You see alot of RPG titles sell well in Japan but over here they do god awful (Tales series comes to mind). I'm not saying turn base is bad but its been overdone and for the most part people are sick of it.

if FFIV were remade for next-gen consoles, you wouldn't see me bitching one bit.

Hell, I remember way back when Square had it rumored to remake 1-9 on PS2 in the graphics of 10... Then... Spirits Within happened and... yea.

OR HAY GUIZ, it could be a giant cross-over with all the main characters from Square games in one giant RPG! (lawl, traditional RPG, not shiity Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia)
I enjoyed FFIV, but I think it will just be weird if its remade onto a next gen console. Expectations would end up being too high and theres not promise that the story will transition well. Someone touched on that with Xenogears and I can see where they are coming from after I think about it.

I remember those remake rumors too, it would of been stupid since alot of the appeal of Final Fantasy is that the graphics are different with each installment. Using the same graphics would make them all look similiar which would of just been lame.

Cross-over ideas never really work well because its hard to pull a story out of that. Kingdom Hearts does an ok job but is still corny. Dissidia was a train wreck and even other series the cross over games are bad (Tales of the World 1 + 2).

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:14 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 12:14 PM #48 of 78
Well that is the problem right there. What sells in Japan doesn't always sell well in North America or Europe. You see alot of RPG titles sell well in Japan but over here they do god awful (Tales series comes to mind). I'm not saying turn base is bad but its been overdone and for the most part people are sick of it.
Square are a Japanese company who make games for Japan, primarily. Their first foray into making rpgs for a global market was Last Remnant which, whilst being pretty awesome, hardly won any sales volume awards. Final Fantasy XIII was made for Japan and you can bet that if they remake FFVII, they'll remake it the way Jap gamers want it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:30 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 04:30 AM #49 of 78
It wouldn't make much sense to have one, theres really nothing left to tell.
This argument couldn't be truer for every FF sequel that exists. Money talks, creativity walks.

PS: There are people that liked 8, as crazy as that sounds.

How ya doing, buddy?
PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:55 PM #50 of 78

- Which console. It is nice having two consoles that are pretty much on the same level. If a remake is announced it would be incredibly stupid to just have it on one system. Sony fanboys will flip out if it comes to the x360, I mean they are still complaining that FFXIII is available on the 360...imagine how it will be if a game that is pretty much the most known PSX game had a remake that came out on the 360.
Please. People will bitch and scream bloody murder, then turn around and buy 5 copies each, just like they will do with FFXIII.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] The "I too liked Xenogears' second disc" Club