Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2016: Now with microtransations - voting edition
Closed Thread

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:44 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2017, 09:44 PM 6 #1 of 20
Through some weird combination of factors I ended up barely playing any of 2016's games, so there's not much I can give points to this time around. I'm positive that if I had played them, Kirby: Planet Robobot (my new favorite game soundtrack ever), Pokémon Sun/Moon, and Zero Time Dilemma would all be on this list.

40 Points - Oxenfree
So Oxenfree is my game of the year largely by default, because it's the best game in the tiny pool of games I played. But it's also a great point-and-clicker and a very impressive debut work by a studio, and I feel like it'd definitely hold its own in a year where I actually played 10, 20, 30 commercial releases too.

1). Beat for beat it's a teen horror flick, except it uses that to tell a ghost story that's really a senior year of school story. All the layers are done well, and I'm always 100% down for video games taking on narrative styles from other media that they don't do often and they don't do well often. (One of the reasons I loved Gone Home.)

2). It looks like that pic Q posted and it sounds like this: https://scntfc.bandcamp.com/track/beacon-beach

3). Conversations happen in realtime, and when you choose something to say you can interrupt the person who's talking and steer the conversation in a different direction. Or, you can remain silent and let whatever was last said hang awkwardly in the air. Combine this with a good script and you have the most naturalistic dialogue system there's ever been in a video game. (The secret behind the whole thing is that the script is 1,200 pages long.)

Play this game.

40 Points - Swapdoodle

20 Points - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
You can play the game with the same music, graphics, and controls as Day of the Tentacle, so as a baseline it's exactly as good as the original. But there's more streamlined interactions with objects, and MIDI muzak if you like that sort of thing, and Flash-y graphix if you like that sort of thing, and remastered voice clips from the original tape records which is neat. And DotT is just a solid as fuck game, holds up extremely well for an early '90s adventure game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2016: Now with microtransations - voting edition