Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

China: "Reveal Yourself, Or Don't Play Online"

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:27 PM #1 of 26
China: "Reveal Yourself, Or Don't Play Online"

Not sure if this is PP material, but it seems politically charged in some respects.

Quote:
BEIJING (AFP) - Chinese gamers who frequently adopt flamboyant alter egos for their online contests will soon be forced to reveal their true identities in a bid to stop youngsters from spending too much time in the virtual world.

Beginning in June, all Chinese Internet game manufacturers will be required to install technology in their games that demands players reveal their real name and identification number, the Xinhua news agency said Tuesday.

Seven companies participated in a pilot project last year, which so far made more than 100 domestically-produced games unaccessible to players unless they register, Xinhua said.

The companies work with the police to ensure the name and identification number given by players are real.

Currently, many players simply register fake IDs.

The new system is aimed at helping parents track how many hours the teenager has played and which games he or she plays, Xinhua said.

"Using a system of real names is to standardize the Internet games network market and promote the stable and healthy development of the games industry," Wang Feng, vice chairman for Jinshan Software Company, was quoted by the Beijing newspaper Daily Messenger saying.

The paper, however, also quoted a teenager saying gamers will lose the fun of playing different roles anonymously in virtual reality when they have to register their real identity.

If a player uses a forged identity, his rank and score will be annulled.

The move is the latest attempt by the authorities to regulate the booming online gaming market after a measure last year to automatically log players off games once they exceeded a set number of hours of continuous play.

China's government has also tried to control the market by banning "unpatriotic games" that make Chinese soldiers or agents the enemy and by persuading companies to develop "healthy" games that feature Chinese heroes such as the communist do-gooder Lei Feng.

Statistics from the China Internet Network Information Center show that China had 111 million Internet users by the end of 2005, more than 20 million of whom were online game players.
Source
Imagine being a ninja looter on WoW in that country...

*DING-DONG*
"Who is it?"
"It's the guy you ninja'd Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker from!"
"Oh shit"

Jam it back in, in the dark.
loyalist
Carob Nut

Member 1217

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:42 PM #2 of 26
You know, I'd almost have to say that's an upside to China's system. You wouldn't have the same insane child obseity problems you had here if we employed that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 05:15 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 04:15 PM #3 of 26
Hah how awesome. I wish that were in effect in the US. Then these freaking 12 year old kids would think twice before saying half of the crap that they say on whatever game they happen to be playing.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:05 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 02:05 AM #4 of 26
You all seem to completely miss the true nature of this. China wants to control its people. This is not an effort "aimed at helping parents track how many hours the teenager has played", but a tool for the government to spy on and track down the teenagers themselves, if they were to behave in a way they would disaprove of.

It's just another brick in the wall of a nationwide blacklisting of websites, nondisclosure of information and conveying propaganda - even in computer and video games.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:27 PM #5 of 26
Rock, not like they already do... in disguise To be honest, at least again as Russ said, you won't have stupid 12 years old saying whatever they please because they're hiding behind a freakin' monitor.

I was speaking idiomatically.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:37 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 07:37 AM #6 of 26
Still, playing online game that much is dangerous for health. I heard lot of stories of people who died because they were playing MMORPG for about 3 days. He died because of sudden heart attack I think.

It's very silly and totally not cool if you died because of playing a game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:09 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 06:09 PM #7 of 26
Originally Posted by Rock
You all seem to completely miss the true nature of this. China wants to control its people. This is not an effort "aimed at helping parents track how many hours the teenager has played", but a tool for the government to spy on and track down the teenagers themselves, if they were to behave in a way they would disaprove of.
Quite Orwellian, no?

Originally Posted by Rock
It's just another brick in the wall of a nationwide blacklisting of websites, nondisclosure of information and conveying propaganda - even in computer and video games.
China is proving that capitalism and totalitarianism mesh rather well. So much for China becoming more democratic through the operations of the "free market".

Originally Posted by eriol
Still, playing online game that much is dangerous for health. I heard lot of stories of people who died because they were playing MMORPG for about 3 days. He died because of sudden heart attack I think.

It's very silly and totally not cool if you died because of playing a game.
I don't see anything wrong with that. There's about 6.5 billion people on the planet. We could use less dipshits.

FELIPE NO
loyalist
Carob Nut

Member 1217

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:41 PM #8 of 26
Quote:
China is proving that capitalism and totalitarianism mesh rather well. So much for China becoming more democratic through the operations of the "free market".
We're probably not hearing about the REAL progress as much as we should be. Western co-operatives are finding ways to crack through China's internet filters and help reach people on the inside. There is real dissent going on. And one day...we'll see.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:56 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 06:56 PM #9 of 26
Originally Posted by loyalist
We're probably not hearing about the REAL progress as much as we should be. Western co-operatives are finding ways to crack through China's internet filters and help reach people on the inside. There is real dissent going on. And one day...we'll see.
Probably. The internet is hard, if not impossible to control. Whatever people can make, others can break. That observation was more or less from a government standpoint.

The Chinese government has already had to deal with a sizable amount of unrest already. Mostly dealing with their rapid modernization programs and energy shortages. Not so much civil rights.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:12 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 10:12 PM #10 of 26
I remember there was a Chinese town that revolted. They even repelled the riot police for a while. I never heard a follow up story about it. Anybody remember what happened to it?

As for the Orwellian implications, I'm sure The Party will be glad to know that they've bred a generation of Gold Farmers.

Robo Jesus
Your Mechanical Messiah

Member 1543

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:28 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 10:28 PM #11 of 26
Originally Posted by Bradylama
Anybody remember what happened to it?
Well, seeing as how this is the first I've heard of it, I would assume that the people of said town have already been arrested and executed. =/

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"You can't win, Pilate. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."-Jesus
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:02 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 02:02 AM #12 of 26
Originally Posted by Bradylama
I remember there was a Chinese town that revolted. They even repelled the riot police for a while. I never heard a follow up story about it. Anybody remember what happened to it?
There have been multiple revolts and riots in China within the last couple years, you'll have to be more specific.

Maybe this is it, although it's a pretty typical story of farmer revolts. It happened 2005 in a rural farming town on the Southern part of the country. Farmers were having a peaceful protest against Hong Kong factories coming in and taking over their land to produce clothes or some shit. They actually held off the police for a day or two, but then tanks came and the police started firing back and pretty much ended that. Those who didn't get beaten by the police and taken in were driven off the land and left the starve without any sort of livelihood. The fatalities at the scene weren't that bad, I think it below a hundred but there was a follow up article on the fate of the people who left and it was pretty gut wrenching. Since the village population no longer had "jobs" as farmers, a lot resorted to begging in the bigger cities while the lucky ones got jobs at the new factory and got sick with pollution in the area.

I'm not surprised on this news. The PRC have been regulating the internet ever since it came into existance into the country, hell they even read outgoing and incoming e-mails. You have to use your ID # to even sign on the internet, so I'd imagine it's a natural step up.

Last edited by kat; Mar 22, 2006 at 04:04 AM.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:31 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 08:31 AM #13 of 26
Isn't this a part of China's other law mandating that people are only allowed to play online games 4 hours a day or something like that?

Anyway, hardly surprising. Nobody really seems to care what China does to its people anymore, because the trade is just too sweet. Human rights violations only matter when the country is poor and isn't pouring lots of money into your economy. The situation isn't going to change anytime soon in China, because nobody cares.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:52 PM #14 of 26
Originally Posted by Monkey King
Human rights violations only matter when the country is poor and isn't pouring lots of money into your economy. The situation isn't going to change anytime soon in China, because nobody cares.
Don't you mean out of the economy?
Last I heard, the United States had a pretty sizable trade deficit thanks to China. And while this isn't the thread to debate economics and world trade, I feel that if the US traded less with China and more with other nations then the world economy would be much better for it.

ieatjackets
Carob Nut

Member 1297

Level 5.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:28 PM #15 of 26
Woo Mercantalism!

16th century colonialism like whaaat.

FELIPE NO
Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 11:46 PM #16 of 26
Originally Posted by Devo

Can't let any ideas of a "democracy" or "freedom" get to their people in any way, shape or form, even from some online little shit.
I didn't know such philosophical debate took place in World of Warcraft.

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:48 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 11:48 PM #17 of 26
It does.

GLBT guild, anybody?

Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 11:51 PM #18 of 26
Originally Posted by Murdercrow
It does.

GLBT guild, anybody?
Are you yanking my chain? I honestly don't know.

All the more reason for the Chinese government to crackdown on World of Warcraft then. Exposure to such ideas could prove troublesome for them.

Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:32 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 11:32 PM #19 of 26
I think it's kind of funny that people think you have to have some deep and meaningful discussion about "democracy", "freedom" and "free-market capitalism" to disseminate these ideals.

Players talk about all kinds of shit on WoW. It could be something stupid like the following:

Ayetaekitindapooper: LOL SO I GOT MY IPOD TODAY.
SumdumGai: O RLY? WHAT COLOR, IS IT THAT FRUITY PINK?
uselessdumbshit: HOW MUCH? DOOD PINK IS GAY.
Ayetaekitindapooper: UR MOM IS GAY. ITS BLUE.
Ayetaekitindapooper: $300
uselessdumbshit: NO U. YOU OVERPAID LOL, I CAN GET IT FOR LIKE $200

etc...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:35 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 01:35 PM #20 of 26
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
I think it's kind of funny that people think you have to have some deep and meaningful discussion about "democracy", "freedom" and "free-market capitalism" to disseminate these ideals.
You might be surprised. Imagine if you've lived your whole life being told that these were just lies being told by the imperialistic capitalists to control the bourgeoisie. Then such ideals as "freedom" and "democracy" becomes a compelling debate to the open-minded and impressionable people. Typically the youth.

Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
Players talk about all kinds of shit on WoW. It could be something stupid like the following:

Ayetaekitindapooper: LOL SO I GOT MY IPOD TODAY.
SumdumGai: O RLY? WHAT COLOR, IS IT THAT FRUITY PINK?
uselessdumbshit: HOW MUCH? DOOD PINK IS GAY.
Ayetaekitindapooper: UR MOM IS GAY. ITS BLUE.
Ayetaekitindapooper: $300
uselessdumbshit: NO U. YOU OVERPAID LOL, I CAN GET IT FOR LIKE $200

etc...
That's how I assumed most "debates" went in World of Warcraft.

GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:17 PM #21 of 26
Originally Posted by Devo
More like patriotism. All you need to do is go play a game and be a foreigner and some jackass all gung ho about American nationalism will start giving you crap.
I know just what you mean by that I get it all the time online and it pisses me off, and the worse part is they range anywhere frome 12 to 40. It annoyes the hell out of me but it's not just americans it's other countries as well, I wont deny Canadians do it but still, stoe the crap and have fun playing.
However more on the topic, I think that it is a violation of human rights and such other things similar to that, I mean I dont want someone I've never meet somewhere in the world knoing my name even if I have access to theirs, it just dosent seen right to me. on the other hand Luckee Cookie has a good point It will make thoses little kids think harder about who they mouth off two but it still wont make much of a diffrence, I mean really whose going to fly or go that distance just to kick the shit out of them. down the street maybe but no more then that. and besides thats what the game is for, just kick the shit out of them there it's just as good. but most of the people who mouth off are the players who suck to begin with.

Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:30 PM #22 of 26
It's not a huge deal. Every attempt to regulate the internet has failed, and this one will as well.

China just has too many people, it cannot maintain an information iron curtain over its nation, and as we can see, with the opening of the nation to the globe, that is starting to cave.

We'll probably see China start adopting more civil and political rights freedoms once it gets its primary concern out of the way - making sure its people have jobs and can actually put food on the table, a difficult task as it is.

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:01 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 09:01 PM #23 of 26
Originally Posted by Watts
Are you yanking my chain? I honestly don't know.

All the more reason for the Chinese government to crackdown on World of Warcraft then. Exposure to such ideas could prove troublesome for them.
Usually it involves an issue with the game (the GLBT guild reference was to a user that posted an ad in General Chat for a capital for a guild that was "not GLBT-only, but GLBT-friendly," and got a warning for it under Blizzard's harrassment policy. They've removed the warning since and changed their policy to allow such ads, but I think the user refused to renew her account anyway), but they can happen. The only problem is that there's no guarantee of GOOD debate.

FELIPE NO
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:23 AM #24 of 26
Forcing people to reveal their real names? I'm all for it and I wish they'd do it here. But for my own reasons.

I'm sick and tired of people who cheat or just play dirty. Knowing that anybody can get their name will make these jackass kids behave.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > China: "Reveal Yourself, Or Don't Play Online"