Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Steven Colbert Totally ICE-BURNS The President at White House Correspondents Dinner

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 04:22 PM #51 of 68
I really doubt that he expected the crowd to laugh much at his stuff. Especially as he continued with it, the reaction grew smaller and smaller. He set out to say things that a demographic not represented in the room, us, are laughing about.

I'm really surprised that there wasn't much reported about this though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 06:52 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 04:52 PM #52 of 68
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Really? I kinda doubt that the Colbert Report would be a show that 90% of the attending population would be interested in, either because its a show targeted at a younger demographic, or because they don't have the time or don't bother with his show.

It did look like that most of them were taking him seriously. Or they just can't take a joke, or rather, his brand of humor.
What I meant is I don't know if this dinner was meant to be an entirely serious one. Just because they didn't find his brand of humor funny doesn't mean that it had to be a serious night.

Also, not sure if anyone else watched the Colbert Report last night, but he was making jokes about how nobody at the dinner was willing to laugh when he was on.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:54 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 11:54 PM #53 of 68
okay... I just watched the dinner... and all I have to say is ouch. Cobert, I felt, was great. His comments did exactly waht this kind of dinner was supposed to do... take digs at the president and his administration. Sadly though, it was very few laughs that came his way... and if it weren't for my wife sleeping I would have been laughing a lot louder during his speech.
So the president can come up with his own little skit that takes digs at him... but he never touched on anything that was overly "ZOMG". Cobert took it to that line that should not be crossed... and didn't just cross it he fuckin' trampled over it and gave what I feel was the best speech in many years at this event. Kudos to Cobert for having the balls to do what he did... just don't expect to be invited back next year ^_^

I was speaking idiomatically.
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 09:54 AM #54 of 68
I'd be the most surprised person in the coutry if they let Colbert back there ever again. I must say, though, that I was still fond of his line near the beginning that was something to the effect of "Oh, and if you need anything at your tables, just speak slowly and clearly into your table number and the NSA will bring you a cocktail." That was nice. "If anything, this administration is rearranging deck chairs on the Hindenburg" was another good one, but it still sucked that the people in the audience (for the most part) couldn't take a good joke. Oh, and the "Rocky" thing was awesome.

It's sad that the audience didn't get as big a kick out of Colbert as the rest of us did, but everybody laughs like trained animals when the President says "Nucular".

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Arbok
Toho Mikado

Member 325

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 11:55 AM #55 of 68
Originally Posted by Admiral Amara
It's sad that the audience didn't get as big a kick out of Colbert as the rest of us did, but everybody laughs like trained animals when the President says "Nucular".
I wasn't really expecting anything like that, I doubt even I would be laughing very hard if I was in their possition getting digs taken at me like that. However, I find it very sad at the lack of news this has generated from regular outlets, as they seem to be ignoring this and focusing almost 100% on the Bush imitator bit that played before it.

FELIPE NO
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:34 PM #56 of 68
Originally Posted by Arbok
I wasn't really expecting anything like that, I doubt even I would be laughing very hard if I was in their possition getting digs taken at me like that. However, I find it very sad at the lack of news this has generated from regular outlets, as they seem to be ignoring this and focusing almost 100% on the Bush imitator bit that played before it.
Truth. Mainstream outlets almost EXCLUSIVELY focus on the Bush Impersonator routine, and while that guy is very good at his job and the routine was commendable, Colbert was easily much funnier and made far more cunning jabs and incisive commentary, and I think he pissed off the entirety of the nation's press. Which only ranks him higher in my mind, but of course doesn't get him the same kind of coverage (he was MENTIONED, but only because he had 20 minutes and it was unavoidable).

I personally would be laughing very hard if someone was making jabs at me that were that funny. In fact, I have all my life, because some people really do know how to tell a good joke, and I'm a very willing butt for jokes, and some of the funniest things I've heard have been aimed at me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:17 PM #57 of 68
What exactly is a gannon button on the podium?

Most amazing jew boots
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:20 PM #58 of 68
How do I used Wikipedia?

That should answer your question, sir.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:29 PM #59 of 68
Originally Posted by Wikipedia (Jeff Gannon)
Questions have arisen as to Guckert's relationship with the White House and with the Republican Party. Although he did not qualify for a Congressional press pass, Guckert was given daily passes to White House press briefings "after supplying his real name, date of birth and Social Security number."

Guckert first gained national attention during a presidential press conference on January 26, 2005, in which he asked United States President George W. Bush a question that some in the press corps considered "so friendly it might have been planted."
Yeah, I think they mean this guy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:42 PM #60 of 68
Hmm, youtube took em' down for copyright infringement. Guess the torrent is the only option now.

geez, it's around 400 megabytes. Does anyone have another link?

nvm

http://video.freevideoblog.com/video...6CBD83E27F.htm
http://video.freevideoblog.com/video...2BC77DF696.htm

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."

Last edited by SemperFidelis; May 4, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:51 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 10:51 PM #61 of 68
Isn't it a bit hypocritical for a self-declared non-profit organization such as C-SPAN to take down this footage for copyright infringement? If they don't intend to profit from their material, why do they actively protect their resources from being publically available?

That said, I totally loved Colbert's performance and even covered it in my blog (German) a few days ago. So far, the issue has not been picked up by German media - which is quite sad seeing how they didn't hesitate to report extensively on the lame Bush/Bridges speech.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Rock; May 4, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 04:59 PM #62 of 68
Yeah, this echoes the American sentiment of how every major media outlet in this country also was all over the Bush/Bridges skit at the expense of Colbert's superior performance. I still have to give Mr. Bridges big props for being a very, very talented Bush impersonator. Speech patterns and typical elements of Bush's and mannerisms were very well-executed from what I saw, though the material itself was relatively stale, as opposed to Colbert's relatively fresh commentary.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 02:45 PM #63 of 68
When Colbert would make jokes, the camera would pan the audience and they would be looking at each other in a "Should we be laughing?" or "Are we allowed to laugh at that?" kind of way.

I mean, even Bush laughed when Colbert made the joke about Cheney.
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
I feel like I'm dreaming. Somebody pinch me. You know what? I'm a pretty sound sleeper -- that may not be enough. Somebody shoot me in the face.
When Colbert made the joke about the Hindenburg, they showed the audience again and they looked confused. I don't think they knew what the Hindenburg was.

Education in humor is needed.

FELIPE NO
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:46 PM #64 of 68
Originally Posted by Devo
Gannon refers to Camp Gannon I believe, a Marine outpost on the Syrian border who is routinely called to deal with insurgencies.

Oh or that guy =o.
Come on, I'm wasn't the only person who thought , was I?

Most amazing jew boots
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:49 PM #65 of 68
Originally Posted by a lurker
Come on, I'm wasn't the only person who thought , was I?
I thought that as well, but only at first, realising that it had to be something more 'relevant' that the typical Press yuppie or veteran would readily understand. Jeff Gannon is the reference, as I've previously stated, but I think that a Ganon button fixes most problems as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 04:19 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 01:19 PM #66 of 68
Quote:
I don't think Colbert is funny. ;_;

If anything he is just a random sucker who is a good parody of some Fox news guy that shall remain unnamed.

John Stewart is the real star.
Except that Colbert is more educated, and more properly suited for this type of role than Jon Stewart. If I recall correctly Colbert studied history and political science at Hampden-Sydney College and later transferred to Northwestern and pursued acting and belonged to two different improv troups, one at Second City.

I never liked Jon Stewart much, Colbert is superior, in my opinion.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Posting without content since 2002.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Steven Colbert Totally ICE-BURNS The President at White House Correspondents Dinner