Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

FireFox extensions

Leon DK
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 12402

Level 1.10

Sep 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:08 PM #1 of 22
FireFox extensions

What FireFox extensions do u use?
I use:
adblock
google bar
tab browser
faster fox
flash got
wml browser

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:20 PM #2 of 22
Warning:

Be sure to explain your choices, this is not going to be a simple "list" thread.

Most amazing jew boots
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:07 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 11:07 PM #3 of 22
Adblock - Because of the obvious reasons. Alongside Adblock I use the Adblock Filterset.G updater to keep my lists up to date transparently, works a treat.

Tab Mix Plus - Gives some functionality I hear is standard in firefox 2. I occasionally use the "undo closed tab" option when I accidentally close a wrong one or something ;_; When I'm working with a silly amount of tabs also, this helps them stay alot better organised.

Greasemonkey - Oh god <3 I have alot of scripts for Greasemonkey, such as a script that makes google image search results link directly to the images, one that adds an "I'm feeling lucky" button to the firefox start page, some scripts I edited myself to mass-download from galbadia hotel too :3 (no I'm not sharing them gtfo)

DownThemAll - The built in mass downloader for firefox. Used to be rather unstable, though is alot better now.

Imageshack Right-Click - Right click on any image I see in a webpage and transload it to imageshack. Very useful and I use it pretty much daily.

Minimize to tray - Needs no explanation :/

Fasterfox - Use for loading pages faster, killing servers, the usual.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Roph; Sep 11, 2006 at 05:18 PM.
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:12 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 05:12 PM #4 of 22
Adblock Plus + Filterset.G - One of biggest reasons I plan on not using Opera/IE7, is this indispensable extension. If you set it up properly, one can browse the Interent virtually Ad free.

NoScript - Another indispensable extension, this uses a white list to manage just what scripts are allowed to run when you visit sites. This is another great anti-popup/ad mechanism as you can only allow scripts from the current site and disallow all others by default.

DownloadThemAll! - A great download extension that allows on to queue files and links to files from a site then download them at once. Also downloads files in smaller chunks, resulting in increased download rate for quite few sites.

User Agent Switcher - A good one to have for those few occasions when you want to access a site that you know works with Firefox, but the site will check for the user agent field of the browser header to ensure only IE can access the site. Basically this makes any site think you are running IE/Netscape/Opera, etc.

Disable Targets For Download - Prevents empty windows or tabs from being generated when you go to save/open a file. It doesn’t work every time, however.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Excrono; Sep 14, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2006, 02:11 AM #5 of 22
I'm sure pretty much everyone has the standard fare of AdBlock, NoScript, DownTHEMAll, FasterFox, TabMixPlus - things easily available off the top 10 list, but there are some neat and useful gems that don't get a lot of exposure. It'd be cool if used this thread to give these a bit of publicity.

Personally, I can't live without Menu Editor. The default right-click menu for Firefox is quite cluttered and disorganized; not to mention most entries in it are useless {seriously, who uses Send Link?}. Also, regular menus like File, Edit, Tools etc. are also editable.

I've customized my tools and right click menu in Firefox - check it out:

Btw Roph - much thanks for the GreaseMonkey reference. I'm just reading about it now and it seems most useful.

Most amazing jew boots
RPG Maker
Lost Dreamer

Member 342

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:06 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2006, 08:06 PM #6 of 22
What FireFox extensions do you use?
  • Adblock Plus + Filterset.G - Browse the Interent virtually Ad free, well almost.
  • NoScript - Another indispensable extension. This is another great anti-popup/ad mechanism as you can only allow scripts from the current site and disallow all others by default.
  • Fasterfox - Use for loading pages faster, killing servers, the usual.
  • TabBrowser Preferences - Makes so if you click a link it opens a new tab rather then a new window.
  • Tab Saver! - Nice if FireFoxe happens to crash and you don't lose anything.
  • Tab Mix Plus - The "undo closed tab" option is nice since I often accidentally close a wrong tab or something. When I'm working with a lot of tabs also, this helps them stay alot better organised.
  • I.E. Tab - Use ONLY when FireFoxe doesn't display a site correctly and thats rarly.
  • DownThemAll - A great download extension that allows on to queue files and links to files from a site then download them at once. Also downloads files in smaller chunks, resulting in increased download rate for quite few sites.
  • Imageshack Right-Click - Right click on any image I see in a webpage and transload it to imageshack. Very useful and I use it pretty much daily.
  • Forcastfox - I like to know the weather two days in advance and can't ever watch the weather on tv.
  • Minimize to tray - Needs no explanation ...
  • Siteadvisor - Make sure a site is safe and such, not really needed and might be uninstalled.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by RPG Maker; Sep 14, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:43 PM #7 of 22
Filterset.G fails me lately; I see a growing number of ads. I am unsure when the last time it was updated, but something tells me not in several weeks.

FELIPE NO
andkeener
Banned

Member 83

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Sep 14, 2006, 09:19 AM #8 of 22
Mouse Gestures: Allows you to execute common commands using mouse gestures. Some people hate this, others can't live without it, I am the latter. I wish this was intergraded into Windows to tell you the truth.

ImageShack right-click: Right click on any image I see in a webpage and transload it to imageshack. Very useful and I use it pretty much daily.

Download Manager Tweak: A dodification of the download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be open in a sparate window, new tab, or the sidebar.

Gmail Notifier: A notifier for your Gmail account(s).

Auto Copy: Copies selected text to the clipboard automaticaly. Like Linux or mIRC. It took me a while to get used to using this ALL the time, but now it just comes naturally to me.

Tab Mix Plus: I really just like the personal loading bar for each tab, and select tab on hover over features to this extension, but you can do so much more with it, I'm happy it's pretty much coming stock with Firefox 2.

FoxyTunes: Allows you to control any media player from the Firefox window. I hate toggling windows if I don't have to.

DownloadThemAll!: I hardly Use this mass downloader unless I find some really good open dir, but it's nice to have just incase.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
InvasorZim
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9058

Level 1.60

Jun 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:23 AM #9 of 22
SpellBound Dev: Spellcheck for your browser

superT: Alternative for Tab Mix Plus

Extended Cookie Manager: Set cookie permissions on a site by site basis

PDF Download: Clicking a link to a pdf file gives a choice between opening in the browser, opening in Acrobat and saving to disk

BBCode: Far from perfect, but makes life in a forum so much easier

ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 11:55 PM #10 of 22
* NoScript
Increased control over what you are actually loading when going to a page. Mainly blocks Javascript but can also block Flash when enabled. Very good for getting rid of a banner/ad script loading.

* AdBlock Plus
Blocks alot of crap already plus you can add entries manually. Combined with FilterSet.G it becomes one of the strongest blockers out there.

* AdBlock FilterSet.G
This is a good custom made filter pack made by the community that follows AdBlock.

* PDF Download
Stops annoying forced loading of pdf's in Acrobat Reader. Now through a pop-up window, it allows me to choose to download the pdf, read it in a new tab/current window or open in Acrobat.

* Colorful Tabs
This handy extension colors every tab with a unique random color. With unique I mean that the program never displays the same color twice. This is a huge help for anyone that has multiple tabs open.

* DownThemAll
The program allows threaded/accelerated downloads without the need of a external program like FlashGet. It also allows you to dl all content of a page with one click. Using filters you can adjust what you want to dl, for example pictures only or video only.

* Download Manager Tweak
Makes it look nicer, that's all.

* Faster Fox
Unleashes a range of tweaks on Firefox to make it work faster and does a splendid job at that.

* Copy Plain Text
Ever got annoyed when copying a document on the interweb into M$ Word, only to find out that the whole thing gets messed up in font size, font type, and usually gets lots of spaces added? Not anymore, this app copies everything clean and filters it from excessive spaces.

* Dictionary Search
This app adds a new option to the menu. Whenever you mark a word of text, you can right click it and choose to search in a online dictionary. Quite handy since I often need a dictionary for some expensive words

* History Menu
This app displays your search history in detail and sorts it into days. Very useful for whenever you need to "go to that page" again you forgot.

* Tab Mix Plus
Adds red crossboxes on every tab so you can choose which one to close. The main reason I got it is because it records every session. That way, whenever you PC freezes you can continue with all the pages you we're viewing just like nothing happened. There's also a option to open new links in tabs instead of new windows, something which I prefer.

* IE View Lite
This app lets you view IE pages properly, even grants you Windows Update without problems! Pretty good and a must since there are still a small bunch of pages left that need it.

* Search Plugin Hacks
Allows you to uninstall search plugins, handy to make the menu look neat and tidy.

* GoogleBar Lite
Way better and lighter then the official GoogleBar along with handy options I don't remember.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Sosei
SATA ANDAGI!

Member 13167

Level 6.41

Sep 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:41 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 06:41 PM #11 of 22
Mine? Not counting the more 'popular' extentions...

All-In-One Sidebar: A nifty tool that allows you to access the history, bookmarks, downloads, extensions, and themes from a, well, sidebar. It's more convient for me than having to go to Tools > Extensions or whatnot.

BugMeNot: Useful if you want to access a site that requires a username/password, but you don't want to make your own. Some people suck and change passwords, though.

Duplicate Tab: By right-clicking on a tab, you can copy that tab to a new tab, a new window, or merge all of the opening windows (and refreshing all of those windows to new tabs).

Mouse Gestures: Self-explainatory, really. Lets you use either the right or left click button on your mouse to make 'signs' to perform tasks (such as closing a tab or resizing the text on a page).

Restart Firefox: It, well, restarts Firefox. Handy for when you update.

rikaichan: Extremely useful for me when I'm in need for kanji when I know the kana. Allows you to look up by singular kana or by whole words.

TinyURL Creator: For when you have mish-mash links (especially ones that break), this extension shortens them.

Torrent-Search Toolbar: A toolbar that allows you to search from different torrent sites, though I still prefer using btJunkie. >:3

VideoDownloader: I use it for grabbing .flv (Flash) files, to convert and slide on my iPod.

Currently Watching:
D.Gray-man, Red Garden, DESU NOTO | Suggest something?
Currently Playing:
Disgaea 2 <3
Character of the Moment:
Osaka!
mastermind
灼眼のシャナ

Member 12604

Level 4.50

Sep 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 03:32 PM #12 of 22
Adblock - no explination needed.
IE View - for those certain websites that just don't work in Firefox (Maple Story website, all of the online game websites that require you to start with your browser).
Copy plain text - when I need to plagarize something and I don't want the hyperlinks.
StumbleUpon - meh. It's addicting
Tab mix plus - makes everything so much easier
Imagebot - I use imageshack a lot, so getting this extension was only logical.
Foxytunes - I keep winamp minimized, so this lets me skip the songs I hate without having to open it back up from the taskbar.
Bugmenot - Registering is a hassle
DownThemAll - for those late night cravings
UnPlug - youtube videos aren't always permanent
Talkback - default, never bothered to remove it.
Infolister - for those topics that simply want you to list your extensions <_<
4chan - Hard to explain for those of you who aren't /b/tards.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:48 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 10:48 PM #13 of 22
Adblock and Adblock Filter.G Updater - surf the internet with few, or no ads.
Fasterfox - Use for loading pages faster, killing servers, the usual.

I was speaking idiomatically.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Oct 3, 2006, 08:08 PM #14 of 22
I'm a bit late to the party. Definitely gonna try some of these out that are recommended that I'm not using yet.

Currently, I use SearchPluginHacks (makes it easier to get rid of those search engines that I never use but come with Mozilla), FasterFox, ColorfulTabs (this is my favorite plugin, I can't stand looking at the tabs anymore without being different colors), and AdBlock+Filterset.G. Just put on Tab Mix Plus, NoScript, and DownThemAll, we'll see how that works for me.

Originally Posted by RPG Maker
[*]TabBrowser Preferences - Makes so if you click a link it opens a new tab rather then a new window.
You know, you can do that with no plugin, just press the middle mouse button.

and Brandy does her best to understand
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 03:02 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2006, 02:02 AM #15 of 22
Awesome, before this thread I only used:

VideoDownloader: Grabbing FLV files from youtube.
No Script: Blocking scripts from sites (Didn't use this much though)
Search Plugins Hack: for easy deletion of Search Plugins I don't need.

Now I've added these to my collection

Fasterfox: Loading pages faster.
AdBlock Plus: Blocking those annoying ads.
AdBlock FilterSet.G: Adblock Plus's little helper in the fight against evil.
PDF download: It was anoying when Firefox hung trying to load PDFs and always failing.
Imageshack Right-Click: faster way to use Imageshack.

Used, but uninstalled extensions

Forecastfox: Shows weather from Accuweather.com (much better and accurate site than Weather.com IMO, specifically their hour by hour forecasts)
- Uninstalled because I missed seeing the site's 15 day overview and hour by hour forecasts.
FoxyTunes: Displays media player controls in Firefox's status bar.
- Uninstalled because I wanted to control winamp outside of Firefox too + not opening up Winamp itself. So I found that Winamp has some Global Hotkeys (disabled by default.) Been using the Hotkeys a lot ever since.

FELIPE NO
mazoboom
Custom Title? That's Silly.

Member 13729

Level 5.02

Oct 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:59 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 08:59 PM #16 of 22
Dictionary Search - So I don't look like an idiot.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:23 PM #17 of 22
The only 2 extensions I have installed are:

Fasterfox: tweaks Firefox's about:config file with a simple click of a button.

NoScript: Pretty much blocks unwanted sites from adverting on my computer. Essentially stops all popups and ads without the need of AdBlock and Filterset.G extentions.

[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:30 PM #18 of 22
Originally Posted by mazoboom
Dictionary Search - So I don't look like an idiot.
Which will become useless when Firefox 2.0 comes out, since it has spell checking built-in.

The extensions I use are:
Adblock Plus: The primary reason I even use Firefox. Combined with the Filterset.G updater and just knowing how to use it makes it easy to never see an ad or any website I don't want to see.

Download Statusbar: This pretty much gets rid of the download progress window and puts it into a status bar. I use it mostly just because I find the download progress window a pain in the ass.

DownThemAll: Why even get FlashGet or something when Firefox can support it like it was originally put into the browser.

IE Tab: Pretty much only use this when I don't want to open Internet Explorer. Also handy for comparing how a website looks in Firefox and IE.

Menu Editor (disabled because it doesn't support Firefox 2.0 yet version 1.2.3 supports Firefox 2.0): I use it for the same reason other people use it. Who the fuck uses the mail to menu item anyway.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Little Shithead; Oct 9, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 11:08 PM #19 of 22

Save myself some time. I stay away from the torrent extension as it takes up a menu bar and looks ugly..I only search 4 different torrent sites anyway.

Am I the only one who uses Session Saver? :\

Why get bookmarks when you can always keep the same 40 (100 in my case) tabs open?

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:23 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 03:23 PM #20 of 22
Extensions I have installed:

VideoDownloader - I'll occasionally grab something off Youtube if it's actually interesting.
FasterFox - Makes a HUGE difference, even on a computer with a gig of ram and a decent processor.
SessionSaver - It's good to pick up where you left off.
SearchStatus - I use it to display Alexa and Pagerank information.
Ctrl Tab Preview - Not entirely sure what this is; installed it on a whim a long time ago.
4chan - Very useful for browsing the shithole that is /b/.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:01 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 11:01 PM #21 of 22
I use:

FoxyTunes - I listen to my music ALL the time, but sometimes I find it annoying switching back and forth between programs. This way, everything can be done on my browser.

IE Tab - Since I do three websites, its nice to be able to see them running in both Firefox and Internet Explorer side by side.

Colourful tabs - Makes each tab a different colour to make it easier to track them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:46 PM Local time: Jan 27, 2007, 07:46 PM #22 of 22
Thank you guys for an awesome topic w/ great info!

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > FireFox extensions