Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 04:10 PM #801 of 3592
Quote:
But that goes to Final Fantasy XII, VP2: Silmeria
These two RPGs, amongst a whole boat load of other PS1 titles I still have yet to touch, are what will make up most of my gaming time without a PS3. It's a nice way to kill time, because by then, I'd say at least a good year and a half will have past by. (No, XII and VP2 will not take me that long, but if you combine all that other 8 or so RPGs that I have to slowly trudge through, then it'll surely add up in terms of gaming lenth =/ ).

And it looks like Mr. Hirai wants to add something else:

Originally Posted by gameindustrybiz
But wi-fi question remains unanswered

Following confusion over the technical specifications of the two versions of the PS3 Sony plans to launch, SCEA president Kaz Hirai has confirmed that the 20GB model will not feature HDMI output or data card inputs.

In an interview with CNN Money, Hirai said: "We felt that if you want to save something on your Memory Stick, most people have those readers on their PC, which is easily adaptable to the PlayStation 3 with a USB cord."

"The only difference is HDMI - and at this point, I don't think many people's TV's have that. The ultimate result, to my eyes anyway, is there's not a discernable difference between what you get between HDMI and other forms of high definition."

There is still some confusion over whether the 20GB PS3 will feature wi-fi functionality - according to a spec sheet issued by Sony, it will only be incorporated into the 60GB model. Neither Hirai's comments nor those made earlier by Sony Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison have cleared up the issue.

Hirai went on to defend the price point for the PS3, which will retail for USD 599 / EURO 599 for the 60GB version and USD 599 / EURO 599 for the 20GB model. He dismissed suggestions that the price is too high, stating: "I think when you look at what we put into the box - Cell, Blu-Ray, backwards compatibility, the ability to go online - I think it's a very compelling package for consumers. The totality of what we bring to the table makes it a good value for consumers."

"What we're presenting to consumers is future-proofed. It's not going to fall by the wayside," he added.

Hirai went on to say that he is confident Sony will meet its targets of shipping four million PS3s around the globe by the end of the year, with a further two million to follow by April.

"We have the advantage of manufacturing our own chips. Most of the PlayStation 3's core components are manufactured in-house. The decision to give the go order comes when we're getting good yields."

"Obviously, the sooner the better, but we're not at the mercy of someone else."
sauce

::nobodygets20GBversionduh::

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; May 11, 2006 at 06:51 PM.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 08:43 PM #802 of 3592
I'll just buy a Wii at launch for $200, and a price-dropped Xbox 360 Premium package for $100 LESS than those standing in line to buy a PS3. :biggrin: Actually, I'll just buy the Wii and then have $400 left to purchase games with for the next year...

I have a PS2 now and really enjoy it, but at this rate it will be 7 years before the PS3's price drops to even $300...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
bighunt
Driving under the radar....

Member 608

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:05 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 04:05 PM #803 of 3592
Originally Posted by evilboris
at Xbox Live?

shit.... like hell. i'm not that smart to understand the minute details of the PS3, but as someone has mentioned before, for what you get, the price to me seems reasonable.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:52 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 01:52 PM #804 of 3592
Quote:
"PS3 has Linux installed and programming is allowed. License fees are not required for individual developers. Licensed PS3 game developers can get SDK and technical support by SCE, but Linux programmers while not having to pay a license fee, obviously won't get as much support. In Linux, Cell is under the hardware layer of the OS supervisor, but things including SPEs are expected to be open to developers. Didn't show off non-game apps at E3, because well, it's E3.."
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30746

This actually sounds very good. Imagine all the nifty software that will come out that you can run on the PS3. Internet browsers? Emulators? So on and so on.

But from that link.. the PS3 sounds like a 600$ computer.. This for instance, makes me think that it's just a big fat computer:

Quote:
PS3 is a computer, just like a typical computer which downloads a program from CD-ROM to HDD then executes it from an HDD as a cache. If the HDD space is small for you, you can buy a bigger HDD. In the next year even a PS3 with 120GB HDD may be released. It's not another version of PS3, it's just another configuration. Because PS3 is a computer. We may be able to sell it in BTO (built-to-order) for each customer. With that assumption, the internal of PS3 is designed with modularity in mind unlike home appliances and game consoles. In the way of thinking with which a computer is designed, we adopted standard interfaces and selected various parts with extensibility in mind.
And this

Quote:
Unlike PS2 and other game consoles with OS and drivers on a game disc with the assumption that the hardware spec doesn't change, PS3 allows the change of the hardware spec with demands of the times. The OS and drivers are installed in PS3 and it absorbs hardware differences, which resembles the current form of PC.
Well, I'll stop quoting and just point you all to the link. It sounds like there could be many future versions or variations of the PS3. Ugh, what if this brings about problems we already have on the PC? You buy a new game but cant play it untill you buy XXX upgrade. >_>

And what about those who buy the PS3 early and Sony comes out with a future version that has that 2x HDMI screen thing enabled or any other major update for example?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Stuff goes here~

Last edited by Shonos; May 12, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 10:55 PM #805 of 3592
Hmm, slightly disturbing. I hope they don't carry those plans out. I play consoles to get away from the hassle modern computers is, not to worry about specs...

I was speaking idiomatically.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 04:26 PM #806 of 3592
Is that CELL shit even still in.

I don't think it was even mentioned at E3.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:17 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 12:17 AM #807 of 3592
Originally Posted by bighunt
shit.... like hell. i'm not that smart to understand the minute details of the PS3, but as someone has mentioned before, for what you get, the price to me seems reasonable.
I'd like to point out a minute detail then: except for Bluray, the Playstation 3 doesnt have ANYTHING to offer over a Wii + X360.

FELIPE NO
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:23 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 05:23 PM #808 of 3592
Originally Posted by evilboris
I'd like to point out a minute detail then: except for Bluray, the Playstation 3 doesnt have ANYTHING to offer over a Wii + X360.
And I'd like to point out that the PS2 didn't have anything over the Xbox either. That didn't stop Sony from coming out on top.

Exclusives and third party support has the final say in the system.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Old May 12, 2006, 07:02 PM #809 of 3592
Well I'm glad that you can at least upgrade the HDD in the future. The lack of wifi is pretty funny though. For that model it'll be exactly like cube-to-GBA connectivity because of the need for a USB cable.

I also find it funny that Sony expects people to rebuy their PS3 again for an updated model with two HDMI's later in the console's life. Better be at least 300 bucks by then, bitches.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

BurningRanger
...was there

Member 4377

Level 19.38

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 02:34 AM #810 of 3592
By the way, did anyone else think that guy playing Warhawk with the tilt sensor looked like a total asshat? It's going to be very difficult to get a lot of motion out of the PS3 controller without throwing your entire body weight in a different direction...

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: May 13, 2006, 02:13 AM #811 of 3592
Plenty of people in the Nintendo Press Conference looked like total asshats too. Stop trolling.

Quote:
I also find it funny that Sony expects people to rebuy their PS3 again for an updated model with two HDMI's later in the console's life. Better be at least 300 bucks by then, bitches.
Where did you hear that?

Old May 13, 2006, 05:40 AM #812 of 3592
Originally Posted by INDIGO-1
Where did you hear that?
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30746
Quote:
The current PS3 can't output different pictures through HDMI and AV-multi. There may be a PS3 with 2 HDMIs in future

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 05:46 AM #813 of 3592
And I'd like to point out that the PS2 didn't have anything over the Xbox either. That didn't stop Sony from coming out on top.
It certainly wasn't any thanks to Sony though. All the Japanese developers stuck to a Japanese system, and the PS2 managed to be more tried and true than the Game Cube. It pains me every time I play some PS2 exclusive that should've been on Game Cube or X-Box if only to get some anti-aliasing or faster loading times.

I don't think Sony has any clue how to design a proper game machine, and they've been through two already. It seems more like they're designing a next-generation VCR, and hay! why not let it play games too. You kids like games right?

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 06:56 AM #814 of 3592

Exclusives and third party support has the final say in the system.
QFT.

The same shit is likely to happen this generation as well. The Wii looks fun and all, but most of the game developers that I like are sticking with releasing their major franchises on the PS3.

Rayne
Chocobo

Member 480

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 08:27 AM Local time: May 13, 2006, 09:27 AM #815 of 3592
Only reason ANYONE would be getting the wii anyway is for The new Smash Bros. Title. That's their Trumph Card. In my opininon. The wii will end up like the dreamcast. How long will the wii-mote last until people finally get tired of it and Creators can't find any ideas on how to make whe wii-mote work with their game. All in All.... People will eventually Stop using the wii-mote and stick with the controller.

The Ps3 though.... Will last for a while. Even though It costs 600 dollars.
The only people who will buy it that first month will be the rich people. (My mom's already said she wasn't getting it and it's not even out yet)
The rest of America will wait a few mor months until the Ps3 lowers to 499.

FELIPE NO
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 11:39 AM Local time: May 13, 2006, 10:39 AM #816 of 3592
That's pretty stupid, but it's not a whole lot different then later PS2's having a built in IF receiver for the control. Besides, if anyone is rich enough to actually afford two HDTVs just to play a PS3, I'm sure getting another PS3 won't be a problem.

Old May 13, 2006, 12:13 PM #817 of 3592
True. True enough. The idea of two HDMI outputs is ridiculous anyway and everyone scoffed at it last year.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 12:21 PM #818 of 3592
Originally Posted by Rayne
Only reason ANYONE would be getting the wii anyway is for The new Smash Bros. Title. That's their Trumph Card. In my opininon. The wii will end up like the dreamcast. How long will the wii-mote last until people finally get tired of it and Creators can't find any ideas on how to make whe wii-mote work with their game. All in All.... People will eventually Stop using the wii-mote and stick with the controller.

The Ps3 though.... Will last for a while. Even though It costs 600 dollars.
The only people who will buy it that first month will be the rich people. (My mom's already said she wasn't getting it and it's not even out yet)
The rest of America will wait a few mor months until the Ps3 lowers to 499.
I hope you know the Wii still comes with a shell, and it is still compadable with the original Gamecube controller. Plus, Nintendo will never pull off a Dreamcast, they have plenty of cash reserves to back themselves up.

Anyway, I'm not too excited about the PS3, but one or two games did actually interest me. Too bad I won't be getting one in the near future, it's way too expensive. I'll wait until it reaches $200, which may take a few years. I refuse to spend more than $200-$250 on a gaming console.

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 12:33 PM #819 of 3592
They say Resistance is 70% done which is cool so thats 1 game i know that should be at launch I'll get.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 06:29 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 03:29 PM #820 of 3592
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
True. True enough. The idea of two HDMI outputs is ridiculous anyway and everyone scoffed at it last year.
I didn't think it was ridiculous. Dual HDMI outputs offers some of the same things the two screens the DS offers. HUDs, maps and such can easily be programmed to be displayed on a second screen if it detects a second display device. In terms of programming hours to offer this feature even to the small amount of people that may make use of it, the amount of extra time is insignificant.

Dual HDMI was one feature I was sad to see go. I had every intention of sitting my 24-inch PC monitor next to my HDTV if developers would have made use of such a feature.

Quote:
I hope you know the Wii still comes with a shell, and it is still compadable with the original Gamecube controller. Plus, Nintendo will never pull off a Dreamcast, they have plenty of cash reserves to back themselves up.
Defeating the entire purpose of the Wii. Without the controller, the Wii is nothing but an old generation console system.

Old May 13, 2006, 08:17 PM #821 of 3592
Noone needs that much screen information. Seriously, that's insane.

It's not a feauture that would have enough user support to be granted. HDTVs are pretty fucking big. And then to have two of them in your entertainment room? WHY?!!?!? True, consumers have never had a reason before, but what a space waister when not in use. Way to wave your cock around more than necessary.

"Hey Jeff, why the hell you got two HDTVs next to each other? Which one we gonna watch Lost on?"
"The left one. And I have two HDTVs for three PS3 games that support dual HDMI output!"
"Well golly, what do you do with the second one when you aren't playing those PS3 games?"
"Nothing it just sits there."
"That seems like such a waste. You sure it just sits there?"
"Yeah, it just sits there collecting dust most of the time."

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 12:03 PM #822 of 3592
I've had GT4 outputting to 3 plasma screens before and damn did it look good. But to be honest it was the most pointless thing as all information was just displayed on the centre screen with just extra side views which you don't need. If this is what developer are going to use the extra screens for then forget it. I can't see two screens being usefull for myself except to display stats and maps. For FPS you'd need 3 to be actually usefull. Although multiplayer games with groups of people would be very nice since you can have 2 screens split between however many people instead of the one.

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 01:39 AM #823 of 3592
What is the main purpose of having Linux installed on the PS3? Programming?

I wonder if this means it can sort of relate to the PSP with the development of homebrew. Could we possibly someday see home created emulators and play roms straight from the PS3's hard drive?

Or am I just dreaming, and totally misinterpreting what having Linux installed means?

FELIPE NO
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 02:26 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 12:26 AM #824 of 3592
Yes, suposedly you'll be able to program for the PS3. They'll even let you create your own games if you wished. But you wont get the support they would normally give to developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if things like emulators started popping up for the PS3. That is, if they can be ran decently on it.

Stuff goes here~
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 04:58 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 10:58 AM #825 of 3592
He broke the PS3

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/1..._Crashes_at_E3

You all complained about the 360 but I expect the PS3 to beat it in the fuck up departement with interest when it comes to the first batch of PS3's especially with their past record with the PS2.

I want to pick up a PS3 on launch but I just know its going to screw up in some manner, so I'll pass.

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; May 14, 2006 at 06:06 AM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread