Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Scam Vocational Colleges

Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:25 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 03:25 PM #1 of 15
Scam Vocational Colleges

I don't know who would agree with me, but some vocational schools/colleges are just pure suck.

I don't trust a lot of them (i.e. Bryman college, DeVry University, ect.)

But there are a few that I'm no so sure of. I've been looking into schools to attend all summer, and found that most of them are scams, and have pretty much nailed it down to one. I would like to attend LTS IT Academy.

http://www.lts5.com

Though, I'm not sure if it's worth it. The student loan I would be taking out would be $12,000, however, here is what the school entails:

I would obtain the certifications listed below:

MCSE
MCAD
A+
MOS
MCSA
CCNA
MCDBA
NETWORK+
LINUX+
CNA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another school that I've been considering (but admittedly haven't looked very deep into), is Certified Business Professional (CBP)

http://www.cbpcertify.com

Now, it's supposed to be a college that gives business cerfications. What good is a business certification? Doesn't seem like a very useful thing to have, all things considered. I mean, to get a decent career in business, period, you have to be an outstanding salesman (one way or another), and possess AT LEAST a bachelor's degree in said field.

I don't know what school to attend, really, because I don't want to attend a four-year-college. That doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Would anyone consider either of these schools a hazardous choice, and how would I go about taking safety precautions to ensure that I don't get fucked over in the end?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:45 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 06:45 PM #2 of 15
Personally, I'd avoid those sorts of universities. The ones shown on TV that are like "DO IT ONRINE". They sort of reek of lack of reliability. Hate to say it, but if you're going into a hopping, busy, competitive industry, then a four year degree would shine far more than something from DeVry ;p

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 03:47 PM #3 of 15
It also costs far more, and forces me to take classes that are just extra fat.

I really, really, really, don't want to go to a four year degree. I don't really HAVE four years. ;__;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:49 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 06:49 PM #4 of 15
You get what you pay for. About 33% of my degree was worthless. But the employers I'm shooting for will be drooling all over themselves seeing what classes I've taken (at a major university, to boot).

Don't have four years? Do you have cancer or something? =p Look, spending four years to set up a nice, smooth path for your life to tread down is worth it.

Most amazing jew boots

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:54 PM #5 of 15
Personally, I'd research these places and see if they're accredited. I took a course through PCDI and nothing happened with it. I feel it was pointless and a waste of over $500. As long as you've done your homework and know for a fact this school is real, go for it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:17 PM #6 of 15
The main ones on-line, unless offered by a major university, are mostly out for money and accept more people, so employers don't look at these degrees as special as much as they do degrees from a university. Then again, some universities allow students to pay for their A's without having to do work.

Does your high school or a nearby high school have a program where their students can attend vocational school for half the school day as electives? If so, then they may be able to give you some information on vocational schools and what to look for.

Do these vocational schools give tours? You should go on a tour, or better yet, ask the school if you could attend a couple of classes and talk to a couple of the students aftewards (so they won't have to worry about professors). Even talk to people who have graduated from there and see what kind of jobs they have been able to find.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:26 PM #7 of 15
Uh, what's wrong with DeVry

Most amazing jew boots
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:31 PM #8 of 15
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Look, spending four years to set up a nice, smooth path for your life to tread down is worth it.
No offense to you, or anyone else who is working on a degree, but actually possessing a degree these days does not - by any means - ensure you a "nice, smooth path for your life to tread down."

In fact, I know more people who have degrees and have put some heavy-duty blood, sweat and tears into the degree they have.

Too bad they're doing things way below their actual skill level, out of their field of expertise, and getting completely underpaid. And not by their own choice.

Please don't believe that college guarantees you a golden pass to success.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:35 PM #9 of 15
Similarly I know people who get paid a lot yet haven't worked extremely hard for it. Kind of pisses me off, actually. Very discouraging and also confusing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:04 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 09:04 PM #10 of 15
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
No offense to you, or anyone else who is working on a degree, but actually possessing a degree these days does not - by any means - ensure you a "nice, smooth path for your life to tread down."

In fact, I know more people who have degrees and have put some heavy-duty blood, sweat and tears into the degree they have.

Too bad they're doing things way below their actual skill level, out of their field of expertise, and getting completely underpaid. And not by their own choice.

Please don't believe that college guarantees you a golden pass to success.
It's better than the alternative of not having a degree. That is what I'm referring to. I said a smooth path. Not a golden-paved road lined with gumdrops and chocolate flowers =p

Some folks get a degree just to have one. Even that will put you above the hefty amount of folks who don't even have collegiate experience. You have folks who don't complete high school. You have folks who don't complete college. Then you have those who do complete college. Then those who go for graduate degrees.

I was also referring to his getting a degree in a computer-oriented field. Technical fields are still in need of employees and if he got a four-year degree from a credible university, he'd have a nice shot at a job *somewhere*. Meanwhile, if you spent a number of years getting degrees from some hoakey mail-order or online-completion college, lots of folks will chuckle at you when you turn your back. Getting a degree at a four-year college shows you have some sort of ability to anchor down and get something done. And that's a nice stepping stone into the work force. Might not put you on a nice road. Might be long as hell. But having a degree makes it much more easy. You could get a job or two without a degree but somewhere down the line, some guy you're interviewing under will think about it and say "wait a second. This guy isn't even a degree-holder."

Those brackets I mentioned earlier (high school, college, graduate degrees, etc) each have a sort of tangible roof of sorts. If you've got at least a bachelor's, you can climb a way up employment ladders. If your high school diploma is you highest achievment, you might not do so hot unless you get lucky or have connections.

Not an instant success but it sure as hell makes things a lot easier. Plus, these folks you mention who are underemployed could've snubbed their nose at a certain job at some point, like "I don't want to start there." My brother did that and it screwed him royally. Another good chance never came up and now he's working for some Apple as a high-level tech support guy, even though his degree was in Film & Radio.

Some folks get a degree just to have one and have *no* idea what they're gonna do. So you got an Art Degree. What're you going to do? Open a Barnes & Noble? The computer/technical fields have lots of avenues you can take, and that is what I'm referring to. I'm referring to Prosthetic's case in particular. Not to everyone who has a degree.

Originally Posted by Eleo
Similarly I know people who get paid a lot yet haven't worked extremely hard for it. Kind of pisses me off, actually. Very discouraging and also confusing.
Thems the breaks =( One of my brothers is rather lazy and barely squeaked by in all of his classes. I *never* saw him study. And after about three months out of school, he got a job thanks to the help of a friend of my oldest brother's. He's now off making about 60k/yr for a job along the lines of Office-Space.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Gechmir; Jul 10, 2006 at 09:10 PM.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:02 PM #11 of 15
I completed a 2 year degree in Computer Multimedia and Marketing, and I have a decent job. I think getting a job based on a college degree has more to do with what kind of job you want.

In some fields, a solid portfolio speaks louder then any degree.

Like I said though, I think it has alot to do with what your wanting to do with your life.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:08 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2006, 11:08 PM #12 of 15
I have to agree with Sass. I know a guy who got a first class degree in Product Design. He works in a restaurant. I know another guy who graduated in about 2001 with a 2:1 in Architecture. He's only just started his first architectural job. The last four and a bit years he's spent being an office slave for various architects, and not getting to do what he's good at.

Then I know a guy who never completed his university degree. He taught himself IT, and took courses with a vocational college, and industry certifications. He's earning more than both of the aforementioned pair put together, because he has demonstrable practical expertise.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:15 PM #13 of 15
But yeah, just a warning to all foreign students. There was an article in the Star (the major Toronto newspaper) about a scam college for foreign students. The dean was sued and it was closed down. But watch out for these things.

I was speaking idiomatically.
pisscart deluxe

Member 5656

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:19 PM #14 of 15
Skills and reliability are always going to be more important to an employer than a degree, even in jobs where it is absolutely necessary for you to have one. If all your competitors have the same degree, you still need to come through with the skill set or get the boot. A degree is a fantastic thing to have, of course, but I don't look down on people who didn't get one. There are many intelligent, successful people who didn't attend college. It all depends on what you want to do. It's often a lottery - in certain fields, there's a small chance you'll get a great job in your area of expertise, but a much greater one that you won't, unless you pick a degree that is in great demand, and that will hold your interest for your entire fifty-year stint in the workforce. There are no guarantees, but the brilliant or astute people will almost always make their way up the ladder far enough to live comfortably - if they choose to not buy into the huge scam that all higher education often is, it doesn't guarantee failure. I respect someone who dishes out a great deal of money to attend college for something they love and excel at. That said - there's no shortage of people who are completely lost and falter after college because they've never had a job and have no life skills, thus rendering the tens of thousands they or their parents spent useless. You can't buy life experience. The ideal situation is to have the money and life situation to be able to attend university for something you love, then actually have the other skills and personality traits to back that thing up when you're finished.

I'll agree that all of the mail order and correspondance courses are a scam and a complete joke. Some of the vocational and community colleges are. I just enrolled in a two year college, but when I'm finished, I'll be out a grand total of $6,000 in loans instead of $60,000, and have a much greater chance of earning more than I do now. If I don't - people have spent six grand or two years on far more ludicrous things. Colleges like this are a great way for people to escape blue collar drudgery for the rest of their life - I doubt many DeVry students aspire to make six figures in a prestigious position. However, it's certainly a major improvement over their current situation, and no less respectable just because they are learning a trade and not devoting a huge portion of their life to academia.

I'm a big believer that, unless you're a history major, or some other major requiring that you've read a great deal of related literature and will be poring over aged texts for the rest of your life, that it is more important to learn actual skills related to the JOB YOU WILL BE DOING instead of taking 150 unrelated courses covering everything from Irish folk tales to ridiculously advanced math you'll never use. Yes, it's a nice concept that people are scholarly, erudite and well rounded, but many people either cannot afford or aren't interested in taking so many unrelated courses. This may be just be my style, though - I'm straightforward and like to cut the crap out whenever possible. Just teach people what they need to know and let them pursue their own interests later. There should be no financial obligation to take anything you don't want to take. It's your money!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by pisscart deluxe; Jul 13, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:51 PM #15 of 15
You cant teach talent.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Scam Vocational Colleges