Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:13 AM #1 of 608
I'm sorry - but they need to get off their asses and give us a SH1 "remake" game. Not that they need to change stuff around like they did with Resident Evil 1 for GC, but they could update the graphics and control system.

I loved the shit out of that game - to have them deny us that game is enough to make me want to put their kids in a goddamned car fire.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:27 AM #2 of 608
My dad is pratically begging me to see this movie with him. He's been on a horror movie kick the last year or so - watching basically anything.

I must admit, its going to be weird going to a horror movie with my dad.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:19 PM #3 of 608
So... you people are only going to acknowledge the reviews that agree with what you want the movie to be? Don't you people understand what the word BIAS is? I want the movie to be good - but a bad movie is a bad movie. I'll let you know what it is when I see it tonight.

For the people that bash Roger Ebert because he's saying that the movie the general public has yet to see and is too narrowminded to even fathom that the movie could be awful is that Ebert has long been a supporter of such strange fare as Mulholland Drive and City Of Lost Children.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Apr 21, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:45 PM #4 of 608
Originally Posted by a_zuki
Ebert has a way of taking either it floated my boat or it didn't and turning it into an essay. The man is well spoken but rarely objective from what I've read. I don't disrespect the guy but I never write off a film if he doesn't recommend it.
Which is the correct way to look at things. People that say Ebert "just doesn't get it" are people who don't understand film in the slightest.

Originally Posted by a_gerontophile
The whole "didn't get it" thing is a nice cop-out for being too lazy to try to figure it out an partially because they've already dismissed the movie.
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
This is a movie to surrender yourself to. If you require logic, see something else. "Mulholland Drive" works directly on the emotions, like music. Individual scenes play well by themselves, as they do in dreams, but they don't connect in a way that makes sense--again, like dreams.
Of modern filmmakers, Werner Herzog is the most visionary and the most obsessed with great themes. Little wonder that he has directed many operas. He does not want to tell a plotted story or record amusing dialog; he wants to lift us up into realms of wonder. Only a handful of modern films share the audacity of his vision; I think of “2001: A Space Odyssey'' and “Apocalypse Now.'' Among active directors, the one who seems as messianic is Oliver Stone. There is a kind of saintly madness in the way they talk about their work; they cannot be bothered with conventional success, because they reach for transcendence.
In the version according to Jodorowsky, the West is peopled largely with corpses of men and animals and the survivors are gross, obscene caricatures who follow phony gospel-mongers and practice slavery. When El Topo moves out of this world, he goes first to do battle with the Four Masters of the Desert (who have black-magic connotations probably inspired by the work of Aleister Crawley), and later to help free a colony of deformed and incestuously mutated cripples.

(sic)

"El Topo" is a movie it's very hard to be sure about after a single viewing. It weaves a web about you, and you're left with two impulses. One is to accept it on its own terms, as a complex fantasy that uses violence as the most convenient cinematic shorthand for human power relationships. The other is to reject it as the work of a cynic, who is simply supplying more jolts and shocks per minute than most filmmakers. The first impulse seems sounder to me, because if Jodorowsky were simply in the blood-and-gut sweepstakes he could have make a much simpler, less ambitious movie that would have had the violence of "El Topo" but not its uncanny resonance.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:11 AM #5 of 608
Originally Posted by a_gerontophile
Don't get what you're trying to say here. Roger Ebert has understood difficult movies in the past so he's infallible when he says he doesn't understand something, or Roger Ebert has understood many difficult movies in the past so he should have made sense of Silent Hill, unless he simply didn't care to because he expected to hate the movie?
Roger Ebert is not an idiot and has understood movies that were more complex, difficult and obtuse than Silent Hill.

Perhaps the fact that he didn't "get it" was because there was nothing there to get. I mean, I appreciated the movie as to what it was but I was also familiar with the gaming series. As devout as the movie was to the series, it's ultimately the fault of the writer and director for lacking a discernable plot outside of elaborate chase scenes from Dantesque monsters. Yes, thats a trademark of the series - but then you have to think that perhaps Silent Hill isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's not this pesudo-intellectual horror that so many people are convinced of. It has some really neat images in it - but what beyond that?

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:17 AM #6 of 608
Originally Posted by avanent
So... thinking is bad?
No, thinking is good. But if the movie lacks certain things needed in a successful story - like proper drama or a reasonable succession of events - all the thinking in the world won't matter.

There are exceptions to this - I've mentioned Mulhollhand Drive. There are other movies by David Lynch that are more or less successful in making successful stories by purposely lacking in narrative or cognative flow.

It sounds like you gear yourself toward pop-culture, spoon fed, movies... which always leave me feeling I didn't get my money worth.
I take it you're not at all familiar with the movies I cited when I quoted Roger Ebert. Because El Topo is about as fucked up a movie as you can hope to find.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:26 AM #7 of 608
This movie spoon fed the information. Ebert didn't get it, either he went in with a "stupid video-game movie" predisposition, was really messe dup for 4/20, or is an idiot. You can choose whichever you prefer.
Thats complete bullshit. How many people do you know who figured out Mulholland Drive? Theres 20 clues as to the plot on the inside of the DVD case - but it doesn't make it any easier.

While I disagree with Ebert's rating, I do agree that something nessessary was lacking in plot. Something like a "Why should I care?" mentality for the audience to hook on to.

I'll say more on the subject of the film tomorrow morning.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:37 AM #8 of 608
Um... im not talking about mulhollond drive...
So the entire function of comparison and possibly the function of analogy are lost on you?

When I said THIS movie.. I meant the one I had been talking about the whole time, and of which the whole thread is centered around.
And I'm saying that there were other more convoluted storylines with just as many if not more clues to the plot than Silent Hill that Roger Ebert liked.

Your problem is that you are unable to discern the difference between your someone insulting something you like and actually having any evidence to back up your claim. You're saying this because he said something that disagrees with you - nothing more and that shit don't float.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:41 AM #9 of 608
Originally Posted by a_gringa_flaca
That's like saying if I figured out algebra problem (a) I could figure out a similar algebra problem (b). Actually not even that, we're talking an entirely different story, plot, universe etc.
But you're saying he's an idiot - when he's appreciated far more obtuse movies than Silent Hill, rendering your opinion as false.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:22 AM #10 of 608
Originally Posted by Eleo
But Silent Hill 4 has, pretty much, the lamest protagonist ever. He wasn't even a real character. His personality is that he doesn't have one and would rather watch other people's.
This makes it an exceptionally well-done game. The main characters are suppose to be plain, boring, nondescript people so the player can emote and interact with the game.

While Silent Hill 4 does take this a bit far, the rule stands for all games. You can't attach a gamer to a character they cannot understand.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:42 PM #11 of 608
Originally Posted by Aardark
Almost all my favourite games have very distinct main characters with their own 'personalities', and I don't necessarily identify myself with them in any way.
Care to name a couple?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:54 PM #12 of 608
So a game gets extra points by not writing an actual protagonist, okay.
Well, heres an example. Ever play Wing Commander III?

Here you have Mark Hamill (!) as the main character Christopher Blair. Blair interacts with all these characters in the game - you have Maniac who's the obligatory "crazy" person, you have two love interests, you have Cobra as the person whos a bigot, you have the idealistic youth with Vaquero...

But Blair lacks any personality himself. Sure, he's there and he interacts with the world around him. But nothing happens to Blair. Nothing in the story really affects him - even when you find out your best friend from the last game + two add-ons is a traitor, you get a *choice* as to if you seek revenge or not. How... clinical.

Main characters HAVE to be static. A player has to be able to emote themselves through the character - otherwise you're just watching something. You can't play a game where the player is Jack Nance in Eraserhead though I'd love to see the attempt.

If you have a game with a deep plot
Since when do games have "deep plots"? They may have more obtuse plots than most games but I've never seen a Playstation game handle something like War And Peace. Even my all time favorite game Final Fantasy Tactics isn't "deeply plotted".

Perhaps you meant "detailed" and I'm misreading?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:06 PM #13 of 608
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
I think Final Fantasy Tactics had a very intricate and involved plot. Plenty of character development, events common to the time, and a gripping storyline. I think it'd be an amazing idea if they made a Final Fantasy Tactics movie and FOLLOW the FUCKING GAME as the script.
You embody everything that is wrong with the internet.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:38 PM #14 of 608
I'm doubly sorry if you enjoyed the movie.
I'm sorry you have the IQ of a retard who had his brains dashed out on some rocks but I don't disagree with your fate.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:37 AM #15 of 608
Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
I thought the finale was amazing. It was a sight to behold.
Totally awesome / Pure ninja gold?

I have to disagree on the subtlety thing. Silent Hill was the furthest thing from subtle.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:02 PM #16 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
Why are people so obessed with posting stupid ass shit.

I shouldn't even be in this thread since people can't stand me.
Correct for fact

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:27 AM #17 of 608
Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
I could buy that the occult stuff of the town was buried under something seemingly normal, but as a place people vacation to? That's retarded.
Come on, theres a ton of resort spots in America who's major selling points is that they're haunted. You can't find a house in Gettysburg that doesn't have some dead soldier trying to find his wife.

I think your qualm isn't without merit though - I'd complain that the Silent Hill series needs to stop having characters who are returning to the resort town because they were happy there. Once is fine, twice is redundant.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:30 AM #18 of 608
I still remember the fun and scary elements of the game that the movie did not have.
Yeah like load times! And badly pixilated characters!

I found the substandard shit funny. I went to the movie for a good scare, instead I got a good comedy so I still had my fun.
I went here to post how much of a fag you are but caught you sucking cock in a closet, so you're not able to talk and I don't have to listen to your asinine bullshit.

Your opinion that my opinion sucks is too unimportant to be worth considering.
Your inability to form a cohesive thought outside of being a fucking asshole for your own fucking asshole ego invalidates anything you have ever or will ever say.

If the toilet were only a little larger, I'd flush you down it like so many urban legend alligators.

If any fucker tried to deny me my privilege to have fun at the movies that day, I would have caved his/her face in.
The great thing about Marine mentality is this - anyone who's a Marine acts with the utmost respect for himself and others. People who want to be Marines act like they're some tough guy who could beat up Bruce Lee.

You're not even a ground-pounder, bitch. Stow the fake manly attitude and go back to being a limberdicked wetnurse.

Yeah, and for once, leave the Marines out of this, but then you can't really do anything else, can you? Carry on.
It should stand to reason that the reason we ride you like a bitch in heat abou the whole Marines thing is because it's hysterical to us, not unlike your rude ass turn in the theater while watching the movie.

I've never met a Marine who was a stupid bitch but you ARE a stupid bitch, so you ain't no Marine, son.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie