Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:50 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 06:50 PM #1 of 3592
Originally Posted by Omnislash124
I really can't think of a single wireless conroller feature a rumble feature, then again, I stay away from 3rd parties. So whatever.
Both the Xbox 360 and Wii controllers are wireless and have rumble support. Basically, Sony is the only first-party company this generation that DOESN'T have a wireless gamepad with rumble support.

But I don't see how they'll handle backwards compatability without rumble, many PS2 games use the rumble for rather important purposes (such as the sensors in MGS3). Seems like a pretty strange thing to remove.

Oh, and have they said if the buttons are analog sensitive, or are they going to pull an Xbox 360 and remove that feature as well? I believe the L2 and R2 triggers have analog, but I haven't heard of the other buttons.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:03 AM Local time: Sep 26, 2006, 08:03 AM #2 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
They mentioned there will likely be enhancements that could be applied to PS1 or 2 titles played on the machine. One of which is assumed to be AA, but what level of AA is unknown. This one alone would make many PS2 games look much better (SOTC) and it'd help the vast majority of PS1 games become playable.

I imagine the other may have to do with textures, loading, etc.. Not much you can add, though a more technically oriented person can chime in to point out other potential benefits.
Well, since PS2 games will be run through hardware, there likely aren't as many upgrades they can offer to it. If it was just software emulation they could probably offer additional features, but since PS2 hardware will effectively be running the games, they'll likely be in their original form. PS1 emulation I'm not sure about, potentially they could add a lot more to that since they aren't limited by the original hardware.

Assuming that they do offer enhancements (to the PS1 at least), they could easily enable AA for edges and anisotropic filtering for textures (basically makes the textures much sharper and detailed when viewed at an angle). Possibly higher resolution as well, or at the very least upscaling to HD, and progressive scan support for all games (hopefully even those that didn't support it originally). Increased disc reading speed as well, but like the PS2 with the PS1 it would have to be kept as a toggleable feature in order to ensure compatibility.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:30 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 12:30 AM #3 of 3592
The real problem Sony is likely to face is that the sales of digital direct media from resources like AppleTV and TiVo are looking likely to eclipse the market need of a higher density optical disk format. High definition downloads of movies are much cheaper and faster for the consumer. BluRay and HDDVD discs are still an expensive format (and that's why the movies cost $20-30 instead of the typical $10-20 for regular DVD titles).
Digitally distributed HD content is neither cheaper nor faster, since a 5+ GB file will take a very long time to download on any typical internet connection, and prices for HD content seem very similar to store-bought movies.

Also, removing the Blu-ray drive from the PS3 would only save around $100 at this point, and would be an impossible feat since all PS3 games are on Blu-ray discs. Even if they could, I don't see the point in removing it since the Blu-ray playback is the main advantage the PS3 has for its price. If people won't spend $600 for a Blu-ray PS3, they sure wouldn't pay $500 for a Blu-ray-less one. Not to mention it seems that the previous $500 (20GB) PS3 wasn't even a popular option.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:37 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 04:37 AM #4 of 3592
I have to say, Killzone 2 looks very nice. Yes yes, not "CGI E3 2005 trailer quality", but still fairly good. Certainly a HUGE step up from the first Killzone, which I thought had some enjoyable gameplay which was horribly marred by technical limitations. Luckly, Killzone 2 seems to eliminate almost all the issues I had with the first Killzone: the framerate looked smooth, no random graphical anomalies, and the environments don't seem so barren this time around. Looking forward to seeing the full-length gameplay videos of this one.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:24 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 07:24 PM #5 of 3592
I'm pretty sure the reason for the smoke/fire effects looking worse than other games is because it's, supposedly, volumetric. It's harder to make volumetric effects look better than generic 2d animated sprites, but the advantage is that they actually have depth to them and can be viewed from any angle without looking like there's a giant billboard that's always facing you. However, it's also much more taxing than sprites would be as well.

But honestly, I can't really tell if it's actually volumetric from the trailer or not. If they are, then it should be fairly impressive in the game when you're able to walk through smoke without it looking like you're going through layers.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:56 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2007, 10:56 AM #6 of 3592
Well the PS3's HDMI has HDCP copy protection in it, so if you get a monitor, make sure it has HDCP support, otherwise you'll only get a black screen when you set it all up.
Does HDCP even matter for anything aside from Blu-Ray movies that actually require HDCP for a full-resolution output (which from what I can tell, none of them do yet)? My understanding was that the PS3 doesn't limit you from using it on a non-HDCP set regardless of the connection. Wouldn't really make sense to restrict HDMI output to HDCP devices when even component connections aren't limited in any way, although admitedly I could be wrong about that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:54 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2007, 08:54 PM #7 of 3592
It's actually pretty common for games to be pushed back a few weeks right before release from QA testing. I specifically remember Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders getting delayed about 3 weeks so that they could reduce the max number of players in multiplayer (yeah, "huh?"). I doubt they're taking an extra few weeks to impliment a new control scheme, since that would simply add even more time onto QA testing and push the game back even farther.

FELIPE NO
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:37 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 10:37 PM #8 of 3592
You can get a 32" LCD HDTV for under $500 now, even Newegg looks to have some decent deals on them. Not a bad deal really, I've considered selling mine to get one with a higher refresh rate since the ghosting sucks on it (stupid low quality Westinghouse crap...). I don't think 1080p is particularly beneficial at this point for games since few support it, and those that do sometimes have performance issues when run at it. It would be nice for HD movies, but you might still be better off just sticking with a 720p for now and getting a better one later on when prices come down more.

For that matter, I've once again been debating getting a PS3 since the Xbox 360 price drops seem to be far less substantial than I anticipated, and with used 20GB PS3s showing up in pawn shops for ~$370, the price difference between an Xbox 360 Premium and a PS3 would be relatively minor. But in all honesty, I'm worried about the longevity of the system at this point due to the rather slow sales its had since the start of the year. Seems third parties are starting to get worried, and it would be pretty disappointing if they decided to move to other platforms before the PS3 even recovers from this sales lull. Although I'm going to need to play Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction no matter what...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread