Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:18 PM #1 of 3592
That's a nice TV you got there MetheGelfling.

You know 1080p TVs (or any 1080p large display devices) are not super cheap today, that's for sure, but there are getting cheaper and cheaper every month. Look at that one for example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138084694260

IMO, for $2.5K, that's pretty cheap, and for that price it even accepts a 1080p signal on four (4) inputs (1x HDMI, 2x DVI, 1x VGA). Good stuff.

Man, you are an American, take advantage!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:51 PM #2 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
You people would seriously pay over $2000 for a TV?
For a TV? Nah. For a super large computer monitor that would serve also as a large gaming, movie and TV screen? Of course, and if you're talking about Canadian dollars, well it would be more.

It depends on your priorities and your situation I guess, I would have never bought a $2K monitor when I was a student for example. Also, one should not get in debt for buying a TV, and parents should not allow their kids to buy deluxe stuff like that while letting them take advantage of free-everything at home...

And imagine how PS3 RPGs will have a cinematic feel with a large screen like that; a projector would be more effective though

EDIT: About Megalith: that guy is amazing; he never comes out of character, never!

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Mercury; Mar 26, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 09:22 AM #3 of 3592
Frankly, I don't understand why you guys are so concerned about the price of the PS3 at launch, especially the members of a forum called GAMING FORCE, after all those who want a PS3 bad enough will figure out a way to get the money, and in most cases someone who wants a console as soon as it’s launch wants it bad enough...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 04:36 PM #4 of 3592
Even if the PS3 BD player sucks, it will at least play BD movies at 1080p, which will be far superior to the best DVD players available, don't you think guys?

Most amazing jew boots
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:49 AM #5 of 3592
Originally Posted by Kaiten
Yes, but when Blu-Ray goes full spec, some studios might decide to put in analog protection, which scales the video to a "small" 540p (which is 960x540, when resized, there'll be hardly a difference). And unless you hook your PS3 up to a computer LCD, you'll have to shell out gobs of cash to even view 1080p.
Well that's true, and if you don't have an HDTV that isn't HDCP compatible over digital signal, well then you shouldn't have to worry about if the PS3 BD player will be good or not, since you won’t use it as a BD player anyway.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 10:13 PM #6 of 3592
Well finally, I was hoping for $500, but what is $100 more when we're still a full 6 months away from release, that's only $20 a month, and you still can SKIP a month...

At least we know what we're up to... Now get to work kids!

How ya doing, buddy?
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:32 PM #7 of 3592
Originally Posted by BurningRanger
Yes Cetra, price differences didn't help Nintendo sell well last generation, we know. As mentioned above, DVD helped off set the cost difference. BUT WAIT BLURAY. Let's make this perfectly clear about Blu-ray: absolutely NO ONE gives a fuck about it. I've never heard or seen that word outside of webpages, or Maximum PC magazine. Not a single person I've talked to has ever said "I can't wait to watch some blurays on my new PS3!" Even the ones who can't wait for it.
Well I can tell you this, I can't wait to watch some blurays on my new PS3! (and I mean it).

I pretty much agree with everything Cetra is saying.

The Wii is out of the competition, because it relates to a different market then the PS3 & Xbox360. Personally, I’m 23 and I could care less for the Wii, because the games on it will be in general “too childish” (if you will) for my taste, that’s all. On the other hand, my little bro which is 16 is only concerned about the Wii though. And for example, I think that’s why they’ve decided to ditch HD, since the younger audience don’t care as much for HD.

So, the real war will be between Xbox360 and PS3, the Wii will live just fine with its own market. Do the extra features of the PS3 (BD and better graphics) are worth the price difference? For me, yes, absolutely. And again, it depends on the person you’re asking, but I believe that as time goes, more and more people will acknowledge the PS3 value, as they will for HD, and as they did for already accepted technologies.

Just like the chicken and the egg… the answer is: they arrived progressively during the same time period, they evolved.

Look at it this way, cut the PS3 in half: you get a $300 Blu-ray player, and a $300 high-tech game console. In November 2006, it will be a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted by Stealth
PS3 can play BluRay, DVDs, and CDs. Not sure about other players.
It can play SACD too.

FELIPE NO
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 09:21 PM #8 of 3592
Originally Posted by CelticWhisper
See, this is what I just don't understand. Not a criticism, don't take it as such. I'm 22 and I'm fucking DYING for a Wii. (yes, I know, I know) It looks to be perhaps more "childish," but an assload more fun. And childish can be good. Look at Katamari Damacy. The Wii looks to open doors that weren't thought of before (and sorry, Sony's half-assed imitation won't do it half as well, even though insipid news sites like IGN will give them credit for "innovating" on it), and to do so for far less money on the part of the end-user. If the Wii can be cheap, fun, and (most likely) more physically durable than the PS3 (PS2 D.R.E. problem I am looking at you), then I'm sold and the PS3 can get fucked.

Well yeah you’re right, I took my age as a simple example, it’s more the philosophy behind it, you know, all I meant is that the Wii appeals to a different audience then the PS3 or the 360, thus doesn’t directly compete with the others, meaning one gamer could likely go out and buy a Wii and a PS3 or a 360, but much less likely to buy a PS3 and a 360.

Originally Posted by russ
Not when you're not interested in bluray.

Exactly you are right, then it’s much less of a bargain for those not interest in blu-ray, and at the same time when you think about it, what other HD-gaming-PS3-like alternative will we have in November 2006 for $500 or less?

If somebody knows that he will have another option that will REALLY satisfy his gaming needs as the PS3 would have, then WHY would he even CARE for the PS3 and its price, hanging around this thread and etc? I think the answer is because maybe in fact, he do care, because he would prefer a PS3, because he is under the impression that he won’t REALLY have another option like the PS3... thus in that case Sony has it right on, they will have the exclusive stuff, thus charging a little extra, and still getting out a big winner. Like Mercedes do too (I know it's a bad example but you get the point).

Guys, comparing consoles from back in 1992, or even 5 years ago is not really accurate, first there is the inflation (as Cetra clearly pointed out) and most importantly, the gaming market has evolve so much since then, you guys know that, especially here at GFF, we all know that.

On top of that, today, home theater rooms are becoming more and more mainstream, AND the gaming room is merging into the home theater room, earning a place of choice, because gaming as gotten much more spectacular then it once was, thus pleasing a much, much more large audience. And when you think about it: Who will have the best position to appeal both the home theatre aspect and the gaming aspect with a neatly packaged electronic box?

Really, buying a PS3 at launch will get you TWO (2) bleeding edge technology component, not ONE, TWO of them, for $600.

I think that Cetra made a key statement:
Originally Posted by Cetra
Seriously people, if you don't think the financial decision makers at Sony don't understand all of this, you need to take some basic financial classes.

Sony has been investing I don’t know how many millions over the years for both Blu-ray and PS3, how many times do you really think that those guys has rethink all this? Sony marketing people probably got a much larger view on the world then most of us, even those who are studying, and/or working in the field of marketing, gaming, HT, or consumer electronics.

Really, I’m not an expert on this, I don’t work in any of those fields, I’m only noticing what’s happening from the customer point of view (both on the gaming and HT side), and my best guess is that not only Sony will sell PS3s like crazy at $600, but also it's likely that they will probably have a shortage of supply like the Microsoft do...

Maybe someone working in the video-gaming field could analyse the "evolving gaming market" a little further (Cetra?).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 06:01 PM #9 of 3592
Originally Posted by Technophile
What if I'm not interested in the damn blu-ray player? I'm not making the jump to HD anytime soon.
...well then you'RE LOST!!!

*jk*

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:19 PM #10 of 3592
I think it's related to market differences, we get the same kind of pricing tendency here in Canada, our price are always higher than US prices all over the board (except local stuff, like electricity for example), on everything that's available in both Canada and the US...

For example, last time I checked the Xbox360, it was about 25% pricier in Canada (after currency conversion) than just 100 km south, in the US. Same for HDTVs, same for cars :shh:, same for revenu taxes, hehe... God bless America! ...who?

Most amazing jew boots
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:35 PM #11 of 3592
The Wi-Fi could be useful to some, especially those who wants to put their PS3 in the living room, plugged in the home theater, and are not geeky enough to have a LAN access already in place there...

As it been said that there will there be a way to replace the HD, for say a 160GB one?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:48 AM #12 of 3592
Houlla! It's getting closer…

Hmm, all I’ve seen so far in 1080p are GT:HD and RR7 (both racing games). You guys that follow all of this very, very closely, have any other games be seen/announced/planned/whispered-about in 1080p? I mean not even an RPG as surfaced in 1080p; normally RPGs can be played with much lower frame rates than other games, so in theory our favourite kind of game is more prone to 1080p…

Oh-oh, and those PS3 being shown off on those amazing 46” XBR2 sets in the middle of the walkway in every Bestbuy across America (if you haven’t seen the set in question yet, it’s worth a detour to take a look, there are amazing, and 1080p ), its great news, IMO it will indeed make a huge impact on the public.

I remember when the 360 came out, I rolled in a Bestbuy just to take a look, and I had to LOOK HARD to spot the demo stand, only to find the 360 running on a mini 32” display or was it a 26”? But still it was beautiful nonetheless. On the other hand, talking about what Sony is planning, people are gonna have to take an in-store-DETOUR not to see the PS3…

Double Post:
Thinking about that… Thanks for the great info SOLDIER…

I think Sony is on to something big…

As we all know, people often buys on emotion burst (me included :ashamed, and looking at the marketing plan, this is exactly what Sony needs to populate America with PS3s, even at high prices, say the guy is looking for entertainment and he gets impressed by a PS3 demo stand, at that point the price doesn’t even matter, since all stores give the products, now we can finance everything.

The other day, I was at Futureshop (a Canadian Bestbuy kinda store, with commissioned salesmen though) the other day looking at the 46 XBR2, probably looking “conservatly-amazed”. So after 10 min, I say to the salesman:

Merc: Well thanks for your time; I don’t want to take any more of it, since I’m not buying today.
Salesman: Hmm, well, you can finance it, no interest, it’s a great deal.
Merc: Well, thanks, but I always buy luxury items, cash.
Salesman: At our special price, it will be about $100/month! :dealer:
Merc: Will buy cash.:eyebrow:
Salesman: Common, it’s only $100 a month, you’re missing out!
Merc:

Ok, you get the idea, hehe, but imagine that, $100 for a $5K HDTV, you throw in a PS3 and a couple of games in there, and it’s up to about what, $115/month… for the whole system!

AND here’s the point, a lot of people who are in video entertainment will be able to find and justify $115/month for a system like that when recently hit by the emotional “wow-effect” of the PS3 demo stand… and in the US, it will be even cheaper…

Well of course, that's only my opinion, I might by wrong though, that would certainly not be the first time, heh...

All I can say is I can't wait to see what's gonna happen with all of this...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Mercury; Sep 27, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 05:42 PM #13 of 3592
Originally Posted by Hantei
Saw ads for the system and games in the FutureShop flyer today (naturally, all numbers listed are in Canadian dollars). Apparently they're only getting the 60GB version, and is retailing for about $660 (if I remembered correctly). You can also buy X-Men 3 Blu-Ray for $19.99 with it. The prices for the PS3 games are $59.99, which doesn't seem much (if any) increase from how much newly released PS2 games cost (bit of a relief, though probably subject to change with the likes of MGS4, FF13, etc).

They open at 8am on the 17th, most likely to be a line up that morning!
Hehe that's great news for the Canadian market... I think because the dollar is strong, we won't be affected much by the high price of PS3...

I saw the BestBuy flyer the other day, advertising the 20GB version for $550 CAD... I immediately remembered that I paid $500 CAD for my PS2 one full year after it had been released... If you factor in the inflation, it seems like the PS3 will actually appear to be cheaper than the PS2 was for the Canadian market...

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Mercury; Nov 10, 2006 at 05:45 PM.
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 01:33 PM #14 of 3592
Wow, mixed up priorities...

This is getting crazy... do you guys remember if it was the same when PS2 came out? or it's getting bigger and bigger with each generation?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:07 PM #15 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
It was similar, I guess people don't remember Sony only had 500,000 PS2s for the US release as well. Of course they brought in another half a million later that week and it had already been in Japan for a year meaning units were not being split between the two countries. Japan also had near a million units for their PS2 launch. Only having 100,000 PS3s there is going to result in some murders for sure.

Hehe, I see… so in fact what we are seeing here is just normal proceeding of things when a new long awaited console comes out, except maybe for the fact that now, much more pre-release information (or hype) is available on the web for everyone to grab at will…

FELIPE NO
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:45 AM #16 of 3592
Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the first movie that have been completly shot with digital HD cameras is Star Wars Episode II - Attacks of the clone, and that was in 2001.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread