Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:56 PM #1 of 3592
Not to be a total killjoy, but...

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Two factors that help ease my mind are A) my Gamestop is pretty reliable, so if they guarantee a certain number of systems, it should stick
Even if they're the best GameStop in the history of EVER, I highly doubt that any one GameStop will get the original allotment of preorders they gave out. If they're getting half of what they were expecting to get chainwide that guarantees every store will be getting less than what they thought they were.

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
and B) I reserved the $500 system, and I was told I was only one out of 3 who requested that model. Well, I'm not exactly sure if the latter is a plus or minus, but I'm thinking since the demand for the 60gb is higher, then there's a less likely chance of them reducing the number of 20gb models.
Yes, the demand is lower, but from what I've seen the amount they're making is also quite lower. I know at my Toys R Us we took 7 preorders for the $600 system and 1 for the $500. If we were in the same boat as GameStop it'd be entirely possible we didn't recieve any of the cheap version.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 01:17 PM #2 of 3592
@Chip
If you like games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden then Heavenly Sword is a must buy game.
No offense, but how do you know this? The game isn't out yet. Lair was "must-buy" until it came out, and then all of a sudden it was "This game is terrible unless you're a blind fanboy willing to ignore the flaws in the game." Read GameSpot's user reviews for Lair, it's ridiculous.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 03:20 PM 1 #3 of 3592
@Mo0
I can't really comment un-biasly about LAIR. I will say that it's not for everyone. There are a LOT of controls and actions to memerise. And without a real lock on system or HUD map you can't just pick it up and play thinking it's going to be like an Ace Combat or Rogue Squadron (most reviewers were relying WAY to heavily on the lock-on). The game is something on it's own, everything is manual. So while the game isn't as broken as a lot of reviewers are making it out to be, it does take a lot to get the hang of it, but once you do you can do anything you could possibly want to be able to do.

But yeah, I was skeptical after seeing the reviews too so I rented it. After 4 missions I was hooked and had to go and buy the game.
I've gotten the impression from the reviews that "everything is manual" is far from the intent of the game. Good on you for skipping the lock on system and killing shit the old-fashioned way, but the way I see it, if a game has a feature in there, it'd better either work or not be there at all.

Additional Spam:
Well I suppose it can be abused. However I played it chaining combos together and countering. And then countering into combos, I found it quite deep. It may not require the use of all the depth to win, but you can't say that it doesn't have depth (even if it's not to the extent of NG or DMC).

As for Gaiden, I pretty much played it in a similar way. I used the bowstaff 70% of the time, and performed counter -> combo. Or you can just spam the jump+heavy attack combination. It's definately harder then HS, but... in the end fun factor is the main goal, so if you don't always need difficulty to have a good time then HS is still an experiance to be had I'd say. Maybe not a system seller, that has yet to be seen, but still worth checking out.
Well, at least now I can see how you can claim pretty much any game has depth. Anyone who ignores all of the hundreds of viable strategies in Ninja Gaiden and instead cheeses the same weapon and skill combination is right up, say, Dynasty Warriors' alley.

Additional Spam:
There's nothing wrong with a game having shallow gameplay, so there's no need to defend it. If a game makes up for shallow or easy gameplay with a story that ties in well to the experience (See BioShock, which had deep but difficulty-free gameplay) it can be as much fun to play or more.

But it doesn't justify putting Heavenly Sword on, say, the same pedestal as Devil May Cry.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by value tart; Sep 2, 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:11 PM #4 of 3592
You obviously haven't read the reviews. They're not complaining about the range, they're complaining about how arbitrarily the lockon picks targets, and how you can't choose one. Yes, it's a dragon, not a computer, but you'd figure you'd be able to, say, point at something and have the dragon go after it. It's not THAT hard.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:30 AM #5 of 3592
9 pages of the manual are dedicated to controls alone.
This right here is the problem. When a control scheme takes THAT MUCH explanation, it's way too dense and liable to be hard to pick up. Whether or not game reviewers bothered to pick it up is one thing, but if I looked at an instruction manual that was 9 pages of how to fly my dragon, I'd just say "Fuck it" and play something else. Gaming should not be that research-intensive.

Additional Spam:
Has anyone tried the sixaxis controls for warhawk? I'm curious, I dont know if its the limitations of the sixaxis or crappy programming that makes Lair such a bitch to play.
From what I've heard, it's the latter, because Warhawk is being praised as a good use of Sixaxis.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by value tart; Sep 3, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:35 AM #6 of 3592
This, of course, assumes that people are smart enough or observant enough to care about the backwards compatibility issue, which may or may not be the case. Sony's obviously banking on the fact that they aren't, though.
And they really aren't. But not in the way Sony would probably assume. Half of the questions I get about the PS3 are "Will PS2 games play in the PS3?" "Yes, but only with a memory card adaptor if you want to use your saved games." "Oh, really? I thought I'd be replacing everything."

People don't even know backwards compatibility exists until you tell them, and that's not just on the PS3. If they removed the EE chip I bet a good chunk of their customers wouldn't be the wiser. Granted, I work with the demographic of "idiot parent", but for some reason gamers are willing to forget that "idiot parents" have the money to spend on a system for their 8-year-old regardless of whether it's good or not.

As long as they don't pull a 360 and add that extra step of downloading shit to the system for backwards compatibility through a method other than automatically through the system. That ticks people off so much. People come in all the time bitching about how their barbie horse adventures doesnt work on their 360.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by value tart; Sep 5, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread