Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:35 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:35 PM #1 of 3592
Can we get some clarification on the pricing? I've heard some rumors that it will cost less than the original $500 and other rumors have estimated costs closer to $900.

Anybody with enough links could start some decent discussion by explaining where Sony's official stance on this is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:42 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:42 PM #2 of 3592
He was asking what the hell are you trying to say. I couldn't understand your question either.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:37 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 01:37 PM #3 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
Yes, because trying to understand what "Why?" means is SO FUCKING DIFFICULT.
Understanding the question and understanding a word in the question are two different things, Elixir.

I don't think he had any difficulty understanding what the word "why" means, I think the issue is that you're not making any sense nor giving any proper explanation what you are asking "why" about.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:27 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 03:27 PM #4 of 3592
I asked "why?" because I didn't know "why" they excluded AU/NZ regions when it's meant to be a worldwide release.

Since worldwide release means, well, global. Everywhere. So to answer your question, I wanted to know why it didn't include down under.
I see, well that does explain it better. SD obviously misunderstood your question and thought you were asking why he didn't know what they have planned for NZ, to which you replied "That's not what I said, moron."

I don't think he knows why either though. I'm really not surprised about it myself. I have no doubt the "worldwide release" of PS3 will be magically a month or so late in Europe as well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:58 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 10:58 PM #5 of 3592
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
I would say the same thing is someone used "Nint€ndo"
That would actually be pretty good. Nintendo would have to give a shit about Europe first though (lol)

As for the harddrive, people seem to think the console having a harddrive will magically make all loading times disappear entirely. Does anyone here play PC games or what?

I was speaking idiomatically.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:08 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 12:08 AM #6 of 3592
Certainly good news for eurogamers like me. I'm guessing PS2 games will still be locked so can't let go of the old console just yet.

Regardless, if I ever do get a PS3 (there is that new Ueda project), this ought to make life a whole lot easier.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 05:08 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 01:08 AM #7 of 3592
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey

PAL
Ahahaha

Though I think you mean:

They allowed us to imagine we had a widescreen TV which we used to squish 4:3 picture into 16:9! =o

FELIPE NO

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:40 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 02:40 AM #8 of 3592
Someone might find this interesting:

Originally Posted by Joystick.com
In a radio interview with GĂ©nĂ©rations Europe 1 yesterday, George Fornay -- president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe -- let a little something slip: the PlayStation 3 will cost between €499 and €599. That's somewhere between $613 to $736 in American dollars! He was sure to point out that while this might sound like a lot of money for a game system, it was in fact cheap for a Blu-ray compatible playback system. Yay?
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/05/sc...-to-599-euros/

http://ps3.qj.net/SOEE-Vice-Presiden...g/49/aid/14452

Of course, nothing confirmed, but it's starting to sound like a pretty realistic estimate. I remember they said PS2 would launch at $299 in the US and all of Europe first laughed and then proceeded to cry knowing how much more expensive it'd be here.

Most amazing jew boots

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:03 PM #9 of 3592
No doubt the DS is a better handheld in most forms, but I'm not about to completely rule out the potential of the PSP.
And I wonder how many times Acer mentioned he thinks the PSP has massive potential. Maybe this is why he said you didn't read his posts properly.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:27 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:27 PM #10 of 3592
Once.
That is incorrect, this is why he thought you haven't read his posts properly.

And don't reply to an off-topic subject and then play the "we should stop talking about this" card. That's just ridiculously bad form.

Most amazing jew boots

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 05:25 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:25 PM #11 of 3592
Originally Posted by Stealth
Maybe not all of us are piss poor like you'd have us believe.
Not having close to 600 or even 700 dollars to spend on a game console is not what I'd call piss poor, though.

This latest news sounds a bit iffy to me. They basically said "we don't have a price estimate". This neither means the price will be below the rumored estimate, nor over it. Overly optimistic people will sadly think this means the console will launch at $299 or something, which is simply impossible.

And the blu-ray features would have to be pretty god damn shitty if the value of the combined features in the console rank around $750 and a stand-alone player (early models not being very good quality either) is around $1000 instead.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:55 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:55 AM #12 of 3592
Much like the PSP, I would really like a PS3, but at the price of a small car, it's simply not offering enough must have for me to get interested just yet.

I adore Fumito Ueda, but his next project alone will not get me to pay $600 for a console and anyone who thinks they'll get anything out of the $500 system are kidding themselves.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 09:25 AM Local time: May 11, 2006, 05:25 PM #13 of 3592
Quote:
Harrison said that he personally would purchase the 60GB model.
OF COURSE YOU WOULD, YOU'RE A FILTHY FUCKING RICH SCE STUDIOS PRESIDENT

The damn thing is a beast of a machine, but €599 makes me weep so badly. Knowing the price won't drop here for a looong time doubly so.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 12:15 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 08:15 PM #14 of 3592
Heavenly Sword and PS3 Sonic were definitely playable. There's even a youtube video of the PS3 Sonic freezing completely.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 05:07 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 01:07 PM #15 of 3592
Is this the same as the youtube video I saw?

Oh, it is. Yeah, it made me go "Poor Sonic "
But then that should be expected from demoes I guess, it's still rather embarrassing on the show floor. Not that many have noticed it so far or refuse to acknowledge it

FELIPE NO

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 08:25 PM #16 of 3592
I always thought Quakeworld made everyone go nuts about online play.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 08:52 PM #17 of 3592
They didn't have an online service on the PS2, you ass. Developers handling their own systems and servers is not a free online service on Sony's part.
Just like Microsoft doesn't/can't claim its Windows XP and the new Vista paltforms have a free online service.

I'd like to know if the PS3 actually has an actual online service this time around or will they again simply pretend they do and hope no one notices.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:08 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 11:08 PM #18 of 3592
Originally Posted by SCHWARZE-3
So everything will just be bigger on a regular TV? I'm wondering how they're going to pull this off for games and the browser, for example.
You can set two resolutions. One for the OS (and thus the picture viewers, videos, browser, etc), and then game output. I'm fairly certain if you select 1080i for games, the console uses this for every PS3 game you put in. Still no idea about how it'll handle PS2 and 1 titles, though.

As for "bigger", it's the same thing as changing resolutions on your monitor. Smaller resolutions will make default fonts and icons larger because you're essentially zoomed up close. If you plug in a component cable, the only thing stopping you from outputting at ridiculously high resolutions (and thus smaller text, even though there wasn't that big of a difference, since the menu scales somewhat) on a 20" TV is how much the TV itself can output. Alternatively, feel free to plug in HDMI and outputting at 480.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 12:55 AM #19 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Edit: More stuff confirmed:

Quote:
-they confirm bluetooth devices will work with the ps3, including cell phone headsets.
-they confirm you can hook up old ps2 eyetoy, or the new eyetoy2
-you can adjust mouse settings. like right or left handed, and pointer speed.
-you can assign music to photo slide shows.
Yeah, I saw some of those for myself. The menu had a "Register Bluetooth device" selection, as well as options for mouse hand, and USB keyboard key repeat speed and interval.

http://www.ps3blogi.fi/images/ps3_14_1161119322.jpg

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 01:04 AM #20 of 3592
Whoa, great find Qwarky! That's the best shot I've seen of the keyboard/mouse/pointer setup area of the XMB.

Got anymore? Oh and it looks like we're going to be in for a treat tomorrow from 2-5
Why thank you, I'm pleased people like them.

And yes I do, but the text I wrote is in finnish, unfortunately. If you see any pic that needs explaining, I can go into detail.

http://www.ps3blogi.fi/171006213859_omfgps3wtf.html

Or alternatively, if there's any specific thing you'd like me to take a shot of, I can try tomorrow or Friday when I'm at work.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 05:49 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 01:49 AM #21 of 3592
In the closeup of the slot loader, the arrow facing the drive, is that a button or some kind of sensor? Is the power button also a sensor or some kind of button? It could either be pressure or heat sensitive. If you don't know, just say that, no biggie.
I really don't know what exactly it uses. I can't imagine Sony would be stupid enough to start blowing money on something like heat sensing sensors, but they both felt part of the surface, not clickable buttons. We're still debating whether the power buttons does the reset/power off thing the same way as the PS2, or whether it differentiates between a quick tap and a proper press down.

Oh and pressing eject while the tray is empty makes the PS3 beep like it's very crossed at you.

Quote:
Does the PS3 controller's "PS" button have a name that you know of, and does it glow red during use or after you press it?
I've no official name for it, no. I just use "PS" button for it myself. I'm not entirely sure when the red light activates. It seems to go red when you charge the controller, and when you connect to the console (that is, press the PS button to get a connection to the console).

Quote:
In the picture where you're holding the Sixaxis with one hand, did it feel too light? I never got to hold it in one hand at the show, and I was too busy getting Resistance impressions to pay too much attention to it.
I'm not sure what your idea of too light is, but it did seem uncomfortably light to me. I figured it's due to the wireless, since I'm so used to cables weighing controllers down. The new L2 and R2 buttons felt very flimsy to me and I kept wishing they and the analogue sticks were stiffer.

Quote:
How responsive is the XMB? Any bits where it chugged or lagged?
It's very much like on the PSP. You can go back and forth and sometimes very randomly it might hold for a very small pause. It doesn't lag quite as much as on the PSP, but it was there (though rare and short).

Oh and the controller has ridiculously long signal reach. We must have had like 15 meters between us and the console, besides a good three or four walls (from a different hallway) and a game stand and it still worked.

Quote:
In the resolution menu, I see all the expected resolutions but in the Japanese photos, there seems to be a custom option after 1080p. Is that present anywhere in the model you have available?
I vaguely remember seeing a custom option in the Settings resolution. The pic in the blog entry was from the game resolution and that only listed that. It's possible that the custom option appears for games in a later firmware.

Quote:
Have you tried the following items on the PS3:

- Digital Camera
- MP3 Player/Ipod
- Keyboard/Mouse
I said this in my (journal) entry, but we didn't get to try much because the firmware in the PS3 didn't really have anything. We got the PS3 online, but that was absolutely no use at all since there was no browser

We put in a Memory stick pro duo and though the console seemed to recognize it (a light next to the reader came on), there was no browser so we couldn't check content.

We're upgrading the firmware soon and playable code arrives on Monday I think so I'm definitely going to do another entry and more shots.

Quote:
What's with the controller charge screen? How did you get there and what exactly do you do while seeing it?
That was me fooling around. If you hold the PS button for like five seconds, that screen pops up asking if you want to shut down the controller (I guess it disconnects (powers off) and thus charges faster) or shut down the console. After you shut the console down and press the PS button, the PS3 powers back up. I'm told the 360 has the same feature.

What's odd is that there is no properties screen for the controller. On the PSP you can check battery charge status and it'll show you the charge level in percentages, but this screen only shows whether the controller is like completely empty or half empty. Maybe there'll be a separate screen for each bluetooth device connected, who knows.

Quote:
Hmm, could you try and get us a look at the console's vents to try and see what's cooling this thing? Everything else is just great, the quality of the photos is excellent, so any more photos you take is entirely up to you.
I can try taking a pic of the big fan which you can see through the slightly see-through bottom. The cooling system works like on a laptop, in that it activates every now and then and even then it's really quiet. Well no, that's wrong. It does pump out (very) hot air continuously, but you hear a slightly louder (still quiet) whir every once in a while for a short while.

EDIT:
I wanted to steal that TV so fucking bad, I swear. It's the most gorgeous thing I've seen in ages, especially when we switched to 1080i. And usually I hate how TVs like this look.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Oct 18, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:18 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 06:18 PM #22 of 3592
Well, seems as though they updated the firmware while I wasn't there, and this newer one (still oldish) doesn't have separate resolutions for game and dashboard.

I did get to play the TGS code of Motorstorm and Genji 2 though, so I was quite pleased. The fan at the bottom is difficult to get a shot of cause the surface is so shiny. There's not a dark enough surface here to reflect from it to get a good enough shot.

I'll update what I have when I get home from work, though. People can say what they say about giant enemy crabs, but Genji 2 was so lovely ._.

Also, it seems as though my pictures have caused some stir on the internet =/ An english language blog called hinjang used a few of them wholesale (of course, linking to my blog first), much to my surprise. Are blog photos of the PS3 usually so crap? =/

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:41 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 06:41 PM #23 of 3592
Can you take some shots of the updated XMB when you get back? And answer a few of the questions in the post I left up at the top of the page? Strange that now there's only 1 resolution setting menu, does it still have custom?
Yeah, I also took a shot of the custom screen, not that it was that informative.

Quote:
I was just watching PSM's Podcast video and it looked pretty good. Definitely a step up from what it once was, just like Motorstorm. Any impressions you have of the games, let us know, alright?
Well, the TGS code of motorstorm really does have slowdown when there's a lot of cars on screen at once, but it didn't stop it from being a lot of fun. I absolutely love that the AI drivers crash and bump each other as much as you do, there's constantly vehicles flying off cliffs or burning in the way.

As for Genji, the demo was so short, but being a fan of the original, it was bliss. The counter attack timings work outside Kamui, just the way I like it, but I couldn't for the life of me get Benkei to do his regular three-strike combos. Shizuka moves wonderfully, though her weapons take getting used to.

Quote:
You have no idea. Apparently the photos caused chaos over on GAF and that likely led to a ton of people putting them up in various forums on the internet.
Wait, my photos? Can you give a few links, cause I'd love to see where I get mentioned.

FELIPE NO

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 09:04 PM #24 of 3592
Well damn. They could have linked to the god damn blog for source. I could use the hits.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:14 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 09:14 PM #25 of 3592
Hilarious. That one tiny photo is not mine though =/

And I hope they're not saying ps3blogi.fi is a part of Sony CEE there at the bottom, because it's not. I wish I was officially condoned.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread