Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

.Hack//Roots

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:09 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:09 PM #1 of 140
.Hack//Roots

Remember Hack? A series of anime, manga and games telling the story of a MMORPG gone wrong. You probably thought that the story was wrapped up nicely, but turns out your wrong. The World is again in danger, and it'll all be revealed in a new installment to the Hack universe with .Hack//Roots!

The story

Not much is known yet, but it seems like the World has been reset after the events in the first Hack series. A new server was set up, and players could once again emerge themselves in the World R:2. As with the previous series, the story is tied with the upcoming .Hack//GU game (see upcoming thread in RPg forum). Like the original, the anime is basically a prequel to the game. We follow Haseo, a player killer (someone who only plays the game to kill the other gamers for fun), when he was a member of the Twilight Brigade. What will happen, or what kind of a character he is is unknown as of this moment.

The Characters:

Haseo, the main character, a PK

Ovan, a man who seems to know more about the WORLD

Shino, a young girl who seems to follow the mysterious Tri-Edge?

Tabby, another sidekick

Practical Information
  • 26 Episodes
  • Starts Airing April 5th
  • Opening theme: "Silly-Go-Round" - FictionJunction YUUKA (Yuki Kajiura!)
  • Ending theme: "Boukoku Kakusei Catharsis" - Ali Project

Torrents:
Coming soon!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Peter; Mar 8, 2006 at 05:50 AM.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:02 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:02 AM #2 of 140
This takes place serveral years after teh events in .hack//DUSK , after another huge upagrade to "The World"
OH, these are the guys from .hack//GU, coolness. Haseo is also known as "The Terror of Death" Shino is known as "The Miracle of Deceit" Ovan is also Known as "The Rebirth"... If what i get out of the trailers is correct they are all PKK, Player Killer Killers. well at least Haseo is, he goes around trying to find the strongest players to beat them, just like you said. That is what brings him to meeting Tri-Edge(guy that looks almost exactly like Kite or Shuugo for those that didnt play the game) which is where the game starts i believe....
IDK, just some input, im looking foward to this though

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by aku; Mar 7, 2006 at 10:06 AM.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:07 AM #3 of 140
Originally Posted by Enkidu

Tabby, another sidekick[/CENTER]
Um.
Gross.
Her tail is like, coming out the top of her back or something.

These designs are at least better than the ones for the game (Haseo has some kind of spike fetish there), but I dunno... .hack//SIGN was a borefest.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:10 AM #4 of 140
Agree. I had to force myself till the last episode and still didn't why it made the damn serie was so popular.

Couldn't stand the whiny hero (seen whinier in NGE and that was still good!)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 AM #5 of 140
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Um.
Gross.
Her tail is like, coming out the top of her back or something.

These designs are at least better than the ones for the game (Haseo has some kind of spike fetish there), but I dunno... .hack//SIGN was a borefest.
No, thats just armer that he adorns when he is kicking ass. ...that is very close to the same charater design as the game

...however...on the tail comign out of her...neck...i will agree its kinda odd...

I was speaking idiomatically.
iamamoogle
Chimera

Member 1516

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:43 PM #6 of 140
I'm looking forward to this. Just another potentially good anime to start downloading come April, heh. The character designs look cool too. I just take it that Tabby's hair is in a pony tail that kind of swoops out like a cat's tail. Maybe the cat ears are some sort of item or hack (I doubt it, but its possible).

I enjoyed .hack//SIGN, it may have been slow moving, but I didn't dislike anything about it... I'd just have to say that "The World" has a lot of down time, heh. I can see how it would be harder to rewatch it though... and .hack//Legend of Twilight (DUSK) was alright, but the manga equivalent was way better.

I guess its time I finish the games and read my A.I. Buster novels...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:38 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 08:38 PM #7 of 140
Wow, a catgirl type player, I didn't see that one coming.

It looks interesting enough to at least check out. I sense more songs by Yuki Kajiura and See-Saw.

FELIPE NO
xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:20 PM #8 of 140
I'll check it out! .hack//sign was the first anime i ever watched and thus it hold a special place with me. I listened to the music so much and this was what got me into anime music. I'll definitely be checking out the new season.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:26 PM #9 of 140
well, it's good to see that the art won't be chibi like //lot which I didn't like much. I much prefer //sign and //liminality

soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:51 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:51 PM #10 of 140
One tiny nitpick... Shino's actually super important.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to .hack//Roots. The character designs don't really seem to fit the image presented in .hack//G.U.+ or the games, but I guess the plot matters more than the designs.

How ya doing, buddy?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:08 PM #11 of 140
Originally Posted by Synthesis
Wow, a catgirl type player, I didn't see that one coming.
Are you serious? You didn't see that coming? I found it pretty obvious, and to be blunt, really cliche.

As long as Kajiura does the music, I'll be happy. I've accepted .hack for having only decent plots since I played that game four times. Project .hack was pretty interesting while it lasted, though.

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 PM #12 of 140
Originally Posted by Ultima
Are you serious? You didn't see that coming? I found it pretty obvious, and to be blunt, really cliche.

Wow, sarcasm, you definitely didn't see that coming.

haha

I see Kajiura being credited for //Roots Op single. Her role seems solidified.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Synthesis; Mar 7, 2006 at 11:12 PM.
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:19 PM #13 of 140
Originally Posted by xen0phobia
I'll check it out! .hack//sign was the first anime i ever watched and thus it hold a special place with me. I listened to the music so much and this was what got me into anime music. I'll definitely be checking out the new season.

Same Here, It's kinda what got me into anime music and anime itself. It's actually because of .hack//SIGN that I got into Hikaru No GO, Naruto, Cardcaptors, and a mutlitude of others.

I remember so many good times with the Legend of the Twilight Bracelet and others. I still like the manga better on Dusk but what can you do.

Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:06 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:06 PM #14 of 140
As for Tabby, I don't think that's a tail but rather a continuation of the hair on her head. The angle makes it look somewhat misleading.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:49 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:49 PM #15 of 140
Sa-Kun: I found out from when I was making the thead for the game, it's changed in the above post (is it known that sh'll be important in the anime, or will she only pair up with Tri-Edge in the game?).

FELIPE NO
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:47 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 04:47 PM #16 of 140
Originally Posted by Enkidu
Sa-Kun: I found out from when I was making the thead for the game, it's changed in the above post (is it known that sh'll be important in the anime, or will she only pair up with Tri-Edge in the game?).
She doesn't follow Tri-Edge, persay.

I guess I have no choice but to spoiler tag the following, even though it's in the end of the first chapter of G.U.+. It's quite possibly the ending of Roots, though, so spoiler tagging is the way to go.

Spoiler:
Her importance is that she's a good friend of Haseo's--perhaps even more than a friend--and that she gets Data Drained by Tri-Edge, leaving the player herself in a coma.

larxene
Kupo?

Member 521

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:27 PM #17 of 140
I liked the .hack//sign. So I'm hoping this one will be good. Shino's outfit is cool. And like all the other people said Tabby's tail is weird. What's the thing on Ovan's arm?

siggy by aku
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 09:44 PM #18 of 140
Originally Posted by larxene
What's the thing on Ovan's arm?

Most likely a heavy-arms type of weapon.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 10:03 PM #19 of 140
Originally Posted by larxene
What's the thing on Ovan's arm?
We, um, don't know. They haven't said much other than it's a seal or something to that effect on his arm.

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:52 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:52 PM #20 of 140
TV Tokyo's official site for the series has opened, but there's nothing to see at the moment. I guess we'll just file the URL away for a later date.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 12:35 AM #21 of 140
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
We, um, don't know. They haven't said much other than it's a seal or something to that effect on his arm.

A seal that holds back a heavy-arms type of weapon.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:00 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 10:00 AM #22 of 140
Ohh, sweet. I've been a fan of the series since its inception. It's the only complete anime series that I've actually put money into, buying all the DVDs, video games, and mangas. I'll be looking forward to the roots.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
LivingDreams
Chocobo

Member 520

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:42 PM #23 of 140
Ok this shit is gonna be extended like Dragonball z and Gundamn wings w/e. They gonna keep making newer and newer series every year. I like the first series tho, but then they had some other shit, and the damn games that they keep making.

FELIPE NO
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:20 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 04:20 PM #24 of 140
Originally Posted by LivingDreams
Ok this shit is gonna be extended like Dragonball z and Gundamn wings w/e. They gonna keep making newer and newer series every year. I like the first series tho, but then they had some other shit, and the damn games that they keep making.
Wow. You obviously missed the memo when the whole concept behind .hack was announced.

.hack was always meant to be a large multimedia franchise. From the outset, there were four branches: .hack//SIGN (anime), .hack (games), .hack//Liminality (OVA), and .hack//UdeDen (manga). As time went on, additional branches and media forms were added.

So you see, .hack thrives upon different storylines. .hack itself focuses primarily upon Morgana and the ramifications of Aura's birth, but .hack//G.U. deals with what happens years after Aura's birth and the (apparent) effects of the creation of The World R:2.

evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:03 PM #25 of 140
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
but I dunno... .hack//SIGN was a borefest.
I agree. Not even worth accepting as a gift. How many actually engaging fights were there in the game again? Balmung shows up for an episode or something and it's supposed to redeem the otherwise boring World? I will never understand the hype around it. Yuki Kaijura's score for it wasn't too hot either.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > .Hack//Roots