Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:25 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 05:25 PM #351 of 608
Wow, this movie has actually caught my interest.

I have never played Silent Hill but this doesn't seem like just another cheaply made Video Game Movie.

I might have to check it out.

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:46 PM #352 of 608
I won't be looking at any of those clips (movie's less than a week away), but I am glad to hear that the opionions have been favorable.

But now I'm wondering if including the original music from the games and putting them in the movie is the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, the music in SH 2-4 can easily pass in a film, but the problem is the songs themselves. Practically all the music in the SH series is context-sensitive to the games they were made for. The song used in the trailers, for example works great at the situation it was originally intended for (the piano melody played when you meet Angela in the hotel), but the question is whether it can work in a totally seperate story and situation.

I was all for Yamaoka's music being used, but to have the entire soundtrack consist of previous music? It almost feels like a way to save money. I would have preferred a whole new soundtrack composed by Yamaoka.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DCII764II00
Autumn Reign

Member 934

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:38 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 03:38 PM #353 of 608
Any movie/show with Tanya Allen in it.. Is gonna have great acting in it..She is extremely talented in my opinion..

It's sad though, I don't like horror movies.. Yet this is one of her big time movements in her career.. Sux that I wont watch it. Unless of course I find a date that wants to go.. Cuz that's always a score..Otherwise I'm probably not gonna be motivated to go.

.dc

How ya doing, buddy?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 03:47 PM #354 of 608
Clips look good, but
Spoiler:
I dislike the way the cult members talk. It's laid on a little too thick from what's shown, no subtle creepiness.

Most amazing jew boots

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:43 PM #355 of 608
Originally Posted by a_nal
I won't be looking at any of those clips (movie's less than a week away), but I am glad to hear that the opionions have been favorable.

But now I'm wondering if including the original music from the games and putting them in the movie is the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, the music in SH 2-4 can easily pass in a film, but the problem is the songs themselves. Practically all the music in the SH series is context-sensitive to the games they were made for. The song used in the trailers, for example works great at the situation it was originally intended for (the piano melody played when you meet Angela in the hotel), but the question is whether it can work in a totally seperate story and situation.

I was all for Yamaoka's music being used, but to have the entire soundtrack consist of previous music? It almost feels like a way to save money. I would have preferred a whole new soundtrack composed by Yamaoka.
Well earlier in production Gans said they were taking 200 tracks that Yamaoka had composed for the SH series that includes not only music that was included in the games but also alot of unused tracks too. So in that regard there will be some "new" material from Yamaoka in the film while Jeff Danna has also provided some additional cues to compliment Yamaoka's tracks as well as edit Yamaoka's work for the film.

Besides, having Akira Yamaoka's music remixed to 5.1 isn't too shabby either.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Syphex
Carob Nut

Member 726

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:07 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 08:07 PM #356 of 608
Quote:
You're right, but I think you might be a little pessimistic about this. I mean, I didn't really like promise (reprise) used in the TV trailer (Reminded me too much of Angela) But I think they can definately pull it off. i.e. One of the movie clips featured the piano part of "Innocent Moon" during a conversation between 2 characters, and another clip actually played "Letter ~ From the Lost Days" in the car! (If you've played SH3, you'd know that this played in a car with Heather & Douglas)

So I personally think they'll do a great job with music. (Pray they'll put in "betrayal" for PH, that would kick ass)

Quote:
Hmm, I actually really like it like this, cheap way out or not. It's very nostalgic for me when I hear that.. (I've definately smiled when Black Fairy was played for a few seconds in a trailer)

This movie couldn't come any sooner. =D

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:05 PM #357 of 608
Someone linked me a quote from a SA member, claiming that he's been working on a site or blog for one of the actresses. He said that, due to the inside info that she's been sharing with him, that this movie is going to be quite graphic, to the point that there may be some last minute censorship. He said it's even possible the movie will be banned in certain places.

I'd link to the post, but SA hasn't been working for me lately. What do you think if this proves true? I never considered the SH series too graphic, as it gets most of its disturbances from the imaginations conjured up from the freaky, hard to make out images. Perhaps most of the graphic content mentioned has to do with the freaky background objects, and not actual gore.

Anyone know how soon before some early impressions or reviews come in? I'm all set to watch this as soon as it comes out, but I'd like to hear some positive feedback to dispell any fears I have left.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:07 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 02:07 PM #358 of 608
I am glad they are using old music. To be honest, I think he's been getting progressively worse since SH2.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:25 PM #359 of 608
Personally, I think he's getting better. From SH2 to 3, his style of music for the series has been less psychedelic horror and more modern, MTV style music. But with SH4, he mixed the two genres together, making the music more dark and depressing. Room of Angel is the perfect example of this fusion.

FELIPE NO
Talbain
Quilty as Charged

Member 19

Level 10.84

Feb 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:11 PM #360 of 608
I heard there's a pretty graphic scene in the film from a previous interview.

Gore hounds should be pleased, it said.

Spoiler:
It described a scene where a crowd is running from monsters at a point in the film, and a child falls behind and suffers a gruesome death. No details, but I can imagine what that would look like.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:19 PM #361 of 608
Anyone know what trailers will be attached, or what.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:21 PM #362 of 608
I'm guessing the Omen remake. Other than that, nothing too notable I guess.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:43 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 04:43 PM #363 of 608
Quote:
Personally, I think he's getting better. From SH2 to 3, his style of music for the series has been less psychedelic horror and more modern, MTV style music.
And that's a good thing? Although I did like room of angel.

But in my opinion, we need more dissonance, and less music. Like this track from SH3. The first time I heard it I was caught in a narrow hallway with a slurper and a split head dog and I nearly pissed my fucking pants. They came out of nowhere and this track started playing immediately. The sounds are what made it so scary.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Apr 19, 2006 at 06:52 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:48 PM #364 of 608
Quote:
And that's a good thing?
It is and it isn't. I was saying that with the first two sequels, it seemed he was leaning too much toward modern music and not so much on pure noisy horror. But with SH4, I feel he achieved a good middleground.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:00 PM #365 of 608
According to Coming-Soon.net, they're not screening it early for critics

That's always a bad sign, but I'm not giving up hope. I pray it has to do with the last minute censorship like you mentioned, but who knows. Regardless, I'm catching it early tomorrow night with my film professor, so hopefully I'll be home in ample time to tell you all how it is!

Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:10 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 04:10 PM #366 of 608
Could be to protect a twist. Early impression that are leaking to SH-forums and SA from non-fans are glowing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:35 PM #367 of 608
Badass. Have any examples or links?

FELIPE NO
LizardSC
Slave to the Rhythm

Member 5069

Level 7.59

Apr 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:52 PM #368 of 608
Originally Posted by Talbain
I heard there's a pretty graphic scene in the film from a previous interview.

Gore hounds should be pleased, it said.

Spoiler:
It described a scene where a crowd is running from monsters at a point in the film, and a child falls behind and suffers a gruesome death. No details, but I can imagine what that would look like.

I heard about one scene where:

Spoiler:
A young girl catches fire and is completely immolated. Apparantely the makeup for her burns is really realistic and disgusting. Don't know if that's the same scene.

The only Silent Hill I've played is the second one, and this movie looks absolutely amazing. As far as video game movies tend to be.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:53 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 04:53 PM #369 of 608
A couple choice quotes:
Quote:
My husband and I went to Seattle today and, amongst other celebratory measures taken to ensure the proper historical notation of our 22 consecutive years of conjugal joy, observed a trade screening of the movie Silent Hill, based (and I have no idea how loosely) on the video game of the same name. The movie is also somewhat riveting, at least it was to me, and my husband (who is possibly a more discerning viewer than I) agreed.

The movie's plot revolves around a young girl who does dangerous things when she sleepwalks, her adoptive parents, and an eerie ghost town whose name she whispers in her sleep. This mysterious town, where coal mines still burn underground, is awash in the ashes of the past, and the little girl carries a dark secret that takes her mother deep into a labyrinth seething with lost souls wandering terrible hallways of buildings that seem to turn on the hinges of more than one plane of existence.

Here you can never be completely sure if what you see is occuring now, or is some hideous replay of events that occured 30 years prior. Are people themselves, or hellish reincarnations of these tormented creatures whose ignorant choices made a lifetime ago continue to perpetuate a wrong that can never be made right? How far out does the circle extend? Where are the lines, and when have you crossed them?

The movie is frustrating in some aspects. Its backstory is somewhat vague, and the ending makes you start wondering aloud after you kick it around for a while. What are we seeing, exactly? Who is dead and who is alive? When did they die? My husband and I tossed these questions around, and wound up deciding we would need to see the movie again and look for clues we might have missed, or misunderstood, the first time around.

The movie is more creepy than spooky, with some disturbing images and a few over the top gore shots near the end, but all in all, I think it's worth a couple of hours of your time. The acting is decent, and the atmosphere is properly set with dramatic weather shifts to accompany scene changes. It's a bit choppy, and a little over-dramatic, but aren't all horror movies, to some extent? I would recommend it over some of the sludge that slops around this time of year, when the blockbusters haven't been hauled out into the bright summer sunshine yet, and the indie snootfests have mostly worn out their welcome.

I mean, it ain't no Ice Age 2, but, you know, not EVERY movie can have a couple of wooly mammoths, a sloth, a sabre-toothed tiger AND two opossums.

It's probably just as well. I don't think this movie would have known what to do with the opossums.
Quote:
(...) we won't be seeing any reviews until Friday, apparently, because Sony has it on hardcore lockdown. BUT, I can give you this quote that came straight from my friend's mouth.

"The few people in the tiny theater I saw it in had to sign agreements not to talk about it until the release date. I'll tell you this though. It'll blow your f---ing mind. Easily the greatest video game adaptation ever made and one of the better films so far this year. Better than the Underworld or Resident Evil dreck Sony has been putting out"

They did also tell me not to hope for something as completely majestic as Brotherhood of the Wolf in terms of character development, but to expect to want to see it 300 times in theaters.

I might want to share that this is also coming from a person who has never even heard much let alone played the games...but this is a very critical person in the horror genre and I trust they're telling me the truth and it's going to be a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, those scenes Gans talked about where Rose is wandering around just like in the video game? I'm not quoting here but expect a lot of slow parts and a lot of super speedy parts. And when I brought up the fact that there's scenes of this video game wandering around collecting stuff and solving puzzles, they said that it doesn't take away from how great the film is.
And just because:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 08:18 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 06:18 PM #370 of 608
Wow.

I want that costume.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:25 PM #371 of 608
Personally, I think he's getting better. From SH2 to 3, his style of music for the series has been less psychedelic horror and more modern, MTV style music. But with SH4, he mixed the two genres together, making the music more dark and depressing. Room of Angel is the perfect example of this fusion.
for me I think SH3 OST is the perfect one, because even if I love all the singing track, it still a silent hill OST so we still need some weird and really "intense" music. SH4 for me it's like final fantasy Tactic (or crystal chronicle) they should have only called it SHL the room and continue with silent hill 4 on ps3. I don't know how to called that but he was kind of different.

I still want to hear Melissa Williamson (or any other names she may have now) because I love her song in the SH 3 and 4 OST but still keep the other track like the ones in SH2 or 3 ^^

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:32 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 01:32 AM #372 of 608
New and fun interview with ROGER AVARY, Silent Hill's main writer!

JoBlo's interview with ROGER AVARY

Well, gotta sleep soon so I can get all my energy up for the Silent Hill Advance Screening tomorrow! :biggrin:

Most amazing jew boots
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Robo Jesus
Your Mechanical Messiah

Member 1543

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:53 PM #373 of 608
I just bought the first SH video game yesterday. I'm going to watch the movie friday, then play the game saturday. I might get myself a sandwhich inbetween now and then as well.

"You can't win, Pilate. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."-Jesus
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:44 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 04:44 AM #374 of 608
Don't expect the game to be filled with answers since it wasn't tought-out to be a series at this point. Also, the movie's scenario is compromised of the the 'Questions' from the first game and the 'Answers' from the third game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:50 AM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:50 PM #375 of 608
I just got back from seeing the movie, and I was surprised with how good of a movie it was.

I was expecting NOTHING good going into it (much like I did with Resident Evil movies) but the movie had a lot to offer, and with it being something over 2 hours long, it was great to sit through.

The deaths were great to see, finally a movie where I just sat and watched and said "Dude, that is some fucked up shit!" to myself. With the most brutal deaths. The movie did great with sound and how it is used, much like the game, I liked how they pretty much used subject matter from all the games within the movie.

I don't want to give much away, so I will end what I saw with this, but it was a good solid video game movie. The ending, I hope when someone else see's it can explain it to me, because I didn't understand the ending AT ALL.

EditJust saw the review a few posts up, and they pretty much hit the nail on the head and I agree with most of it. There were a lot of parts which were very overdramatic (mostly what I saw between the girl and the mother in the beginning). There were a few other things, but I didn't notice as much as that.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Living Legend; Apr 20, 2006 at 02:59 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie