Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Can I add 2nd Hard Drive?

makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:11 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2007, 11:11 PM #1 of 8
Can I add 2nd Hard Drive?

First, I have an HP Pavilion computer and I don't have any knowledge of how any RAID stuff works.
I want to add a second hard drive, but my computer came with no hard drive cage for me to add an additional hard drive.

It more or less looks like this.. (image taken from google image)

My primary Hard Drive is screwed to the front end of the chassis, vertically.
There's no space to set it horizontally, but there is space vertically for another hard drive (I think.)
But I don't know where I would screw in the 2nd hard drive securely (no hard drive cage.)

BTW, I contacted those HP bastards online (twice) and they said I can't install a 2nd internal HD and that I should buy an external...

There must be a way (that's also safe?), any ideas?

Most amazing jew boots
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:34 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 02:34 AM #2 of 8
The only place it looks like another hard drive would fit would be in the floppy casing above your primary drive, although the cabling would be a bitch to negotiate. What are you planning to do with this second drive? Use it in a RAID setup, or just for backup/additional storage? If all it's going to be used for is the latter, then an external drive would be the easiest solution.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:17 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 06:17 AM #3 of 8
It'll just be additional storage. The floppy casing would be a really tight fit (or not fit at all.)

The only reason I'm trying to go with internal is because I thought it's cheaper and has faster transfers. Is that right?

Anyone have suggestions of a good external drive? I might as well look them up to see what suits me best.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:34 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 09:34 AM #4 of 8
External drive? Fuck that shit, waste of money. Buy an internal drive and an external enclosure, I think the enclosures cost around $40.

Also this is why you never ever buy HP/Compaq desktops, their cases and often their hardware suck ass. Full tower server cases with your own hardware ftw.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:20 PM #5 of 8
Unless HP uses some weird proprietary floppy drive, your HD will fit in the floppy drive cage because floppy drives and hard drives are both 2.5 inches wide.

I was speaking idiomatically.
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:57 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 11:57 PM #6 of 8
I just now tried to slide my current hard drive into the floppy drive. It won't fit in either. There's a metal thing that keeps it from sliding in properly. If I force it in, it'll put pressure on the hard drive itself. Not good.

I'll look into getting an internal with an external enclosure. I'm not too familiar with those. Will I have to use USB for file transfer or are there some enclosures that has SATA?
I'm looking for data transfers that won't be too much slower than my primary hard drive.

Thanks for all your help, BTW.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:01 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2007, 12:01 PM #7 of 8
Unless HP uses some weird proprietary floppy drive, your HD will fit in the floppy drive cage because floppy drives and hard drives are both 2.5 inches wide.

You mean 3.5

And Phantom, in response to yours,

When you go looking for an External Enclosure, make sure its USB2.0 for starters and can give the drive good air flow. There are some out there that sucks with airflow and stuff so be careful.

Check Newegg.com for some deal on them

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:20 PM #8 of 8
Don't these computers usually have 2 external bays at least? I fit a third hard drive in my Dell by putting the third in place where a 5.25" CD/DVD drive should be. Shouldn't be much of a problem since it most definitely should fit there. This should work unless you already have 2 CD/DVD drives in your computer.

If it's just for storage, an internal HDD/External casing combo would be best since you don't have to go into your case and do anything.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Can I add 2nd Hard Drive?