Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Civil War Discussion Thread

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:56 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 10:56 PM #1 of 231
Civil War Discussion Thread

In my attempt to revive this subforum, and with my current enjoyment of Marvel's Civil War, I decided to start a discussion thread about this. Now, we all know many people have conflicting views about Civil War. Some say it's nothing but a way for Marvel to get back at DC's Infinite Crisis, while some say it's the most interesting thing Marvel came up in the past years.

As for me, I am enjoying Civil War so far. I can't it's better than Infinite Crisis since I'm not that well-versed with the DC universe to completely absorb and understand the event. As for House of M, it was ok, can't say CW will be better, but the HoM events kind of lead to CW, so I think they're sort of inter-connected. Bottomline, I'm loving it.

So, true believer, who's side are you on?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:14 AM #2 of 231
I love it. It's so much better than House of M and Infinite Crisis. All of the tie in issues have been fantastic, unlike the HoM and IC tie-ins. Frontline is turning out to be just as great a read as the main Civil War series. The art and the writing in CW are both fantastic. I cannot wait for more.

I'm on Captain America's side. As much as I dislike him (due to how he has treated the Thunderbolts in the past among other things), he's got the right idea this time. Stark and co. are just wrong. I'm anxiously anticipating Spidey's switch to Cap's team.

Perhaps what has me most curious is finding out which characters will abandon the life of a superhero and which characters will die. Millar has commented on how he disliked Infinite Crisis' mass murdering of heroes and how he wants to make any deaths in Civil War actually mean something. I have no idea who's going to get killed, but I can't wait to find out. This is going to cause some great story arcs in the future.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:17 PM #3 of 231
I'm on Cap's side simply from a nothing-else-makes-sense standpoint. In a recent Handbook I learned that the Mutant Registration Act failed because it was deemed unconstitutional. Yet, this Act appears to be going along fine. Heck, the government was able to start enforcing it before the President even signed! People aren't even able to openly protest the Registration Act, and I know that's unconstitutional. I love how the goal is how there won't be any more massive attacks because all the heroes will be trained and monitored. That's a pipe dream.

I really hope that Thor returns in issue #3 and begins straightening these people out...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 01:46 PM #4 of 231
Nice idea. I'm having trouble getting all of the relevant issues but I've gotten a decent number so far, so I think I can discuss

Originally Posted by Acro-nym
I'm on Cap's side simply from a nothing-else-makes-sense standpoint. In a recent Handbook I learned that the Mutant Registration Act failed because it was deemed unconstitutional. Yet, this Act appears to be going along fine.
One of the key differences between this and the Mutant Registration Act is that the MRA was discrimatory against a Race, in the literal sense of the word, as Mutants are technically Homo Superior. Yes they are nearly human, except for the obvious use of superpowers, but they are still genetically different them Homo Sapien.

This new Registration Act is trying to put some sort of enforcement and accountability on Any Superpowered being that resides in the United States (And later on if this passes the UN may even pass a similar "International" version, if the Security Council Agrees). The constitionality of this new act is allowed since Superpowered beings are not protected under any current anti-discrimination laws, whereas Mutants would be protected.

Quote:
Heck, the government was able to start enforcing it before the President even signed!
What issue did this happen in?

Quote:
People aren't even able to openly protest the Registration Act, and I know that's unconstitutional. I love how the goal is how there won't be any more massive attacks because all the heroes will be trained and monitored. That's a pipe dream.
They are not able to protest? Why on earth not?

Quote:
I really hope that Thor returns in issue #3 and begins straightening these people out...
I just read the Fantastic Four issue #536 where the Doombots help Dr. Doom to reach Mjlonir, but can someone quickly explain why Doom is able to get the Hammer so where Thor is in all of this?

Nvm, read the relevant issue

OH, and I'm not quite sure who's side I'm on.
No, I'm not a fencesitter, but I'm just not sure yet, have to read up more first

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Dark Nation; Jul 12, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:06 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 02:06 AM #5 of 231
After reading all the lead-ins and side-issues of this i really got to say i dig, and i dig hard. And all of the civil war stuff is on jetsam so if you dont have, DOWNLOAd.

no homo
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:34 PM #6 of 231
Quote:
What issue did this happen in?
Uhh... Civil War #1.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:28 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 07:28 PM #7 of 231
I just started reading comics like a week or two after Civil War #1 came out, and although I don't know much about the whole universe, I must say that this has me loving my new hobby. The Front Line series is among the best comics I've picked up so far out of anything, the writing in it is absolutely fantastic.

But, then again, I'm not buying all the tie-ins. It is just too much for a newbie to absorb all together at once (as well as pricey when you don't even know what you like or don't like), so I'm missing tie-ins like this week's Thunderbolts.

At any rate, I really like how this goes. I wish I had started a few months ago, but good timing nonetheless.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:06 PM #8 of 231
BM - you need to start downloading books. If you would like suggestions on what to check out, feel free to ask. I read a ridiculous amount of books each week.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 08:11 PM #9 of 231
Well, my problem is that I don't like reading books/comics/etc. online. I know it is pricier to not pirate, but it's just not something that would be enjoyable to me online. Seems to ruin the experience a bit.

and Brandy does her best to understand
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 08:41 PM #10 of 231
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Uhh... Civil War #1.
lol, serves me right for not reading to that part yet.

I guess I want to try and read it in order, for some reason
or other. No big deal if I read ahead though. Unless there's
a ZOMG ____ DIES!! spoiler in an upcoming issue (Which has
been assured there will be).

Most amazing jew boots
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:06 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 02:06 PM #11 of 231
For those of you that are interested there i uploaded a checklist to jetsam, so you can all read it in correct order.

SimCity(nes): You should try it out, download some from jetsam and use cdisplay to read it, it's very smooth and after a couple of comics you dont even think about that you are reading on the computer.

no homo
FadedReality
I have no idea

Member 9655

Level 8.40

Jul 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:58 AM #12 of 231
Originally Posted by Zip
SimCity(nes): You should try it out, download some from jetsam and use cdisplay to read it, it's very smooth and after a couple of comics you dont even think about that you are reading on the computer.
Definitely seconded. I stumbled upon the world of digital comics when I started downloading the "Chronological X-Men" torrents and was left thinking "wtf is a .cbr". There is a certain nostalgia with holding the paper comic in your hand and all, but CDisplay is so user friendly that you definitely won't mind that you're sitting at your comptuer reading after one or two.

A google search leading to Zip's Civil War http downloads prompted my first visit to GFF, thanks for that btw. Except that those upload sites have a terrible limit on how many things you can DL from the site per hour or so. Even still, I've now read Civil War up to the most currently digitally released issues and wow.

This has got to be one of the most interesting story arcs I've read in comics. Not read Infinite Crisis, but after seeing the Wikipedia page on the dozens of different Earths, I'd rather stick with my X-Men issues (I'm up to 1986!) and my Civil War for now, thanks.

As far as whose side I'm on, I'd definitely have to say Cap. I do agree that superpowered beings should have some sort of accountability, but having them all be required to register their real names and become employees of S.H.I.E.L.D. defeats the purpose of having them around. The whole point of a superhero is that, regardless of their personal moral code, they more often than not have a vigilante brand of justice that a government official would never approve of.

It's odd. I agree with some of the things said, like when a villain breaks out and kills a whole mess of people for the third time, when does it start being Spider-Man's fault for not taking the threat down permanently. Yet I still don't think that registration is healthy for a superhero's family and friends.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:06 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 09:06 PM #13 of 231
mikey rocks for buying the actual comics. I would buy the comics if I had the means, but unfortunately I'll be sticking to scans for now.

I'm wondering what the Thunderbolts are up to, I just read #103 and it seems that Baron Zemo is up to something and is just using Iron-Man as way to achieve his (or his team's) goal.

FadedReality, you can visit us at #comics (irc.xelium.net) and you can access our http CW downloads.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Vemp; Jul 13, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
FadedReality
I have no idea

Member 9655

Level 8.40

Jul 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:37 AM #14 of 231
Originally Posted by vemp
FadedReality, you can visit us at #comics (irc.xelium.net) and you can access our http CW downloads.
After I downloaded the "civil war pack" from a bittorrent site and scoured the latest DCP releases for the most recent issues from the checklist, I found out that they were in jetsam :doh:

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:44 PM #15 of 231
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
They are not able to protest? Why on earth not?
The best example of this is in Civil War: Frontline #2 where Prodigy protests and is engaged in combat by Iron Man after refusing to stop. Another example I've run across is the police trying to arrest Yancy Street thugs for protesting, though I believe that they were actually damaging property.

Quote:
so where Thor is in all of this?
There is supposed to be a hero returning in the pages of Civil War #3 in a "flash of lightning" (or however Previews put it). Presumably, Thor, after retrieving his hammer in the pages of the FF as Donald Blake, will return then.

FELIPE NO
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:23 PM #16 of 231
I thought that Thor was returning in the Fantastic Four book...

Also, what is Jetsam?

FadedReality
I have no idea

Member 9655

Level 8.40

Jul 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:15 AM #17 of 231
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Also, what is Jetsam?
Originally Posted by Zip
We also got this kindly donated space by Zerg
http://comics.jetsam.org
It got shitload of stuff, like there is a Civil War folder that gets updated with all the newest stuff. Stuff is getting added here all the time so check it out. And if you request something in the channel, that's where it will go.
login: comics
pw: password

joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 01:00 AM #18 of 231
I was going to wait for the trades, but I bought the issue where Spider-Man reveals his identity and I got hooked. I'm so far enjoying every aspect of Civil War, and it's forcing me to read a lot of books I wouldn't pick up otherwise.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:06 AM #19 of 231
Like Sensational Spider-Man 28? That was an absolutely fantastic issue. You all must read it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:56 AM #20 of 231
yeah, that's a good one. I think that Spider-Man Unmasked is one of the best plot lines in years.

I'm also really loving Frontline. especially the Speedball stories.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 03:53 PM #21 of 231
Ya, the Speedball stuff is great. I'm really anticipating the next issue of Frontline so that I can see where they are going with it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

deadpool
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9741

Level 2.00

Jul 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:54 PM #22 of 231
So far my problem with the story is that the Pro-Reg side is not very sympathic. Stark is acting more like and more like Lex Luthor and Reed Richards is nothing like the character that was redefined by Mark Waid.

I think the Pro-Reg side is the right side, because in nearly every country you have to pass a test to get a drivers liscense so why can`t the Regristration Act be just like getting a liscense

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:06 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 08:06 AM #23 of 231
Well, so far they've been focusing only on the anit-reg side. Perhaps in the following issues we'll see what's happening on the other side. We, I hope they do, maybe show why some people chose to be on the registration side, etc.. So, so far, we can't really say which side is the right one.

Most amazing jew boots
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:15 PM #24 of 231
Nah, I think that they are aiming to make out the Pro-Reg side as the villains in the story, so I doubt that we'll be seeing much sympathy towards them. I'm pretty sure that Spider-Man is going to be the central figure in the coming issues.

joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 07:48 PM #25 of 231
I'm convinced that Spider-Man will change sides to Cap's team, and when he does, he'll switch to his old costume. my reason behind this? there hasn't been any merchandise made with the new costume. tee-hee.

Spoiler:
I was wondering when Thor was gonna come in. next issue should be great. I'm glad Johnny's out of his coma.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Civil War Discussion Thread