Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

need to buy a laptop, ibook or PC laptop?

zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:09 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 12:09 PM #1 of 5
need to buy a laptop, ibook or PC laptop?

hello there, i'm thinking about buying a laptop but i'm getting seriously annoyed with windows being completely useless, and vista just being retarded.

i've worked with windows all my life and i'm thinking about an iBook, i have £1000 to spend, and i need to use it for gaming as well.

the PC laptop choice is this one; ASUS F8SV-A1 Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.20GHz) 14" WXGA (1280x800) 1GB Memory + 1GB Turbo Memory 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi Nvidia 8600GT 256MB w / Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium [90NNPA3232238CQL350Y] | EXcaliberPC.com

which is a very nice spec but it has windows on it.

what i'm wondering is, am i better buying an ibook, or a PC laptop with linux on it? for gaming purposes as well as general smoothness of running everyday tasks.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
smile
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:57 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 12:57 PM #2 of 5
I'm a linux-only user since some time, but I have to admit that you won't get far with gaming experience this way. I do watch the development of the Wine project (implementing a lot of the windows APIs on a unix system, so you can run them natively - not to be confused with a full-blown emulator or a virtualization). There is a lot of development in the source tree but there are still a multitude of bugs that are not fixed and won't get in the near future. I have for example reported a graphical bug with Max Payne since some months. Some minor thing but it really bothers the user when playing the game. I also found the position in the source that introduces the problem. The d3d developer is well aware of this problem, but it still isn't fixed in the latest version of wine (that came out some days ago).

Another example is copy protection. You won't get most SafeDics, SecuROM, whatever games to run on Wine. You either use a crack and hope it then works. Most of the time it does, but sometimes it doesn't.
Problem: Sometimes you won't find cracks for the latest games, but only something like Mini-Images. Now you don't have an optical drive emulator like dtools on linux. So you can't use these images, fucked.... (most of the time I wouldn't work anyway)

You see, if you want to run recent games you better stay with Windows.

What works great on Wine is older software. I can e.g. play Counter-Strike 1.5 without any flaws. Runs better than on Windows.

DOS games run great in DOSBox, I'm currently playing the old BlueByte game Albion. So if you're a bit into retro-gaming you can find a lot of good software on the unix side. Recent games -> Windows or you want to experiment with the latest wine source (or start hacking source yourself... *g*)

I can't give you any specific tips on the hardware.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:06 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 04:06 PM #3 of 5
i am pretty into my retro games, just not pc retro. Right now i'm mostly using ePSXe for playing PS1 games which i'm sure also works for linux . i don't really play that many PC games but its just the ones i want to play are usually towards the high end graphics cards. its just so its there if i want to play them, and i keep hearing how good the hardware is on an apple, so i thought it would work better.

how are apple laptops for playing games anyways? compatibility wise. the 13 inch iBooks all seem to have the intel x3100 card as well. i don't know but is that any good? because 15 inches is the next size up thats got nvidia cards but there a little too big.

so, is the hardware on an apple as good as everyone says it is? or is it just the fact that it's not running windows that makes it run so efficiently?

if i do stay with windows i can always dual boot linux anyways.

edit: is cadega any good for playing windows games or is that just a branch off of wine?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
smile

Last edited by zander; Dec 8, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:13 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 05:13 PM #4 of 5
i am pretty into my retro games, just not pc retro. Right now i'm mostly using ePSXe for playing PS1 games which i'm sure also works for linux . i don't really play that many PC games but its just the ones i want to play are usually towards the high end graphics cards. its just so its there if i want to play them, and i keep hearing how good the hardware is on an apple, so i thought it would work better.
The problem with emulators on linux is that there are only a few ones for the Playstation. ePSXe is also rather old, not updated anymore and so on. The developers have lost all the source in a crash some years ago, so the project is not coming back. There is however the pSX emulator which is updated on a regular base and Xebra, which is windows-only, but I've heard that it works under wine with minor performance impact. There is also a fork of the old and abandoned pcsx project, named pcsx-df IIRC. So Playstation emulation on linux can be done, it's not impossible. I'm e.g. playing FF9 on pSX, working smooth (although my laptops video card has virtually no 3d acceleration...)

edit: is cadega any good for playing windows games or is that just a branch off of wine?
The Cedega/Transgaming team ripped of the source from Wine some time ago. At this point the Wine project used a not so restricting license for their code. This enabled Transgaming to use their code, modifying and selling it (making a lot of money) and not giving anything back. The Wine developers were quite pissed and quickly changed to license type so something like that won't happen again. I can really understand them. You invest countless hours of programming work into this project for free and then one small company comes, copies your code, makes some changes to it and sells it. And when asking them about contributing something back to the project they give you the finger...
Anyway, the Cedega project had the better D3D9 implementation some time ago. But that didn't last long. Now Wine's d3d9 code is much better than the Cedega one. The only thing that still makes Cedega superior is some additional code that enables some copy protection techniques to work. This code was supplied by the copy protection authors themself, and probably won't ever make it into Wine in this special form. You better spend your money supporting the Wine team, instead of getting a copy of Cedega. A bunch of code thieves if you ask me...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 05:26 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 11:26 PM #5 of 5
Quote:
You better spend your money supporting the Wine team, instead of getting a copy of Cedega. A bunch of code thieves if you ask me...
that's shit. that infringes on computing professional ethics doesn't it? but i guess they're not part of the BSC or IEEE.

if there's a free alternative i'll usually use it because, 90% of the time it'll be twice as better, prime example with windows and linux.

thanks for the info, liquidacid, think i'll double boot with a linux/vista setup, found a nice dell with a 8600m gt card, fantastic.

I was speaking idiomatically.
smile

Last edited by zander; Dec 9, 2007 at 03:04 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > need to buy a laptop, ibook or PC laptop?