Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Cutting and IDE cable?

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 08:29 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 06:29 PM #1 of 3
Cutting and IDE cable?

I'm trying to do some cable management inside my computer and I have only one IDE device (a DVD burner) but the cable I use is something like 19". The cable allows for 2 devices to be attached to the same cable. The cord is too long, so I was wondering if I could just cut the cable after the first IDE connector?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:23 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 04:23 PM #2 of 3
Yes you can cut a IDE cable but don't cut the cable too short (to be safe you should stay above 8 inches.) Also before you dive in practice cutting pieces of the unwanted portion with exacto knives or sharp scissors. You want a clean cut as much as possible. Otheriwise the stray wires can short out whatever the cable is connected to.

I can't say I'd recommend doing that if you've never modified cables before, especially with the risks involved.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:41 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 02:41 AM #3 of 3
Ribbon cables are very easy to fold, and they hold their shape well (a paperclip can help too); couldn't you just fold up the excess and conceal it somewhere? Failing that, buying a new cable of the correct length would hardly break the bank.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Cutting and IDE cable?