Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

a seemingly big problem...

BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:05 PM #1 of 5
a seemingly big problem...

My original problem was my XFX 7600GS wouldn't allow me to overclock at the slightest (on XP btw). A quick flash through nvflash seemed to temporarily fix the problem. Now it seems the problem may have gone to another level. I've noticed some pixelation on my desktop that won't go away:

[img=http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/2592/pixelationtp1.th.jpg]

Every time I drag a window over the pixelation, the pixels leave a trace of how I dragged the window over it. I really don't know what to do at this point. Can anyone help me out?

How ya doing, buddy?
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:59 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2007, 02:59 PM #2 of 5
Is the heatsink making proper contact with the GPU? If yes, then it might be a defective card and you can RMA it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 05:09 PM #3 of 5
unfortunately, the card was Open Box, and newegg doesn't allow RMAs on open box.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 04:01 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 09:01 AM #4 of 5
Those pixelations seems to be like artefacts, which are generally caused by overclocking the card too much or overheating. Since you can't RMA it, I would recommend checking the card as Render said; as long as you're careful it can't hurt. Make sure the fan is working as well, I've had a card burn itself out because the fan (sleeve bearing ) eventually clogged itself up with dust and stopped working.

You should also get an utility to monitor the card's temperature and fan speeds; most modern cards are equipped with temperature diodes. I use ATITool for this purpose, which should still work on your nVidia card. Perhaps someone else who has a nVidia card knows of a better utility.

What BIOS did you flash your card with? Can you please explain further on why you couldn't overclock?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 06:59 AM #5 of 5
Ok, I pulled the card out, checked the connection of the GPU to the heatsink, which is good (my card is passive cooling, btw), dusted the board's PCI-E slot and card with a can of compressed air, checked the cleaned the DVI to VGA converter, and reseated the card securely. I'm running on just ONE monitor now, and the pixelation seems to be gone for the moment, but still won't overclock (which, at this point, I don't care for now).

Concerning the BIOS: I used nvflash to backup the original OEM BIOS, and then reflash it with the same BIOS. OCing: If I even go +/- 1MHz, the test will fail. I've gone around various forums and people are saying it could be a PSU problem, which mine is an Antec 350W with 20 to 24 P1 converter. Unfortunately I'm thinking this power is insufficient even though the graphics card doesn't require its own 4-pin molex.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150170

My card, btw. Card's temps are 47-48 idle, ~60 load, so we can rule the overheating out of the equation.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > a seemingly big problem...