Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:10 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2011, 04:10 PM #1 of 8
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

YouTube Video

Anyone else playing this?

A french indie team set about making a Deus Ex style FPS/RPG and it was released on steam just now.

The world is very unusual, and the narrative is extremely cryptic, but I am enjoying the intrigue.

Story revolves around different factions vying for control in a bizarre dystopian future where over 70% of the human race is dead and magic and cybernetic enhancements walk hand in hand.

I've only gotten through the first mission (I restarted the whole game with a new character) but so far it feels pretty good. Extremely atmospheric, some neat RPG elements and stats, but all in all it's still a bit overwhelming, cause the game doesn't explain much about its systems or the world around you.

Sure you can read up on history, but the translation is a bit awkward and there's a jumble of unknown terms and names being thrown around like it was FF13

I've been playing a sniper dude, after my sword wielding melee dude got himself killed one too many times. The levels feel fairly wide and open for exploration and tackling objectives in the order you want. Most places have multiple routes to them. Reload with a half filled clip and you're throwing those bullets away.

Hacking is weird but fun once you get the hang of it. You can later hack, possess or drive enemies crazy, depending on what you specialize in.

You can even mess up and get hacked yourself, as I managed while trying to turn some turrets against their owners:

big res:
Spoiler:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 30, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:22 AM #2 of 8
This actually looks really interesting but I haven't seen that much green fog since Superman 64.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:27 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2011, 04:27 PM #3 of 8
Well the green fog is the first mission in the old factory area (where I took most of my screenshots ). Before that the main HQ is dreary brown. Luckily the city streets get some color.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 30, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:33 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2011, 09:33 AM #4 of 8
I'm interested, but with my massive backlog, I'm not sure I'm getting this any time soon.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:13 AM #5 of 8
Strangest game I've played in awhile. It feels like a PC game from 98.

I was speaking idiomatically.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:16 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2011, 03:16 PM #6 of 8
I am fairly annoyed at the AI right now. It wouldn't be a problem if two missions back to back didn't have waves of randomly respawning enemies coming at you constantly. So if you don't have cloak on, they know where you are and you WILL be found and attacked.

I only have one case of one of those mutant monsters not coming at me because I was at the back of a room in the dark. But I don't think it was anythign to do with the AI "not seeing me", probably more that for some reason the AI just refused to come into the room. Apparently the team is working on a patch, hopefully it'll fix some of this stuff.

That said, still pretty fun to hack a bunch of turrets and have them do the job for you. I finished the remainder of one level carrying a friendly turret around in front of me and having it shoot and whatever came at me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 31, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 9, 2011, 02:10 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2011, 09:10 AM #7 of 8
Just finished it last night.

Fairly flawed game, yes, but despite annoyances with enemy respawn rates (though in the game's defence, these can be changed around in options) and how stupidly difficult it is to play properly stealthy at times, I really enjoyed it. Extremely atmospheric, imaginative design and some really interesting concepts.

The tweeest at the end is hinted at a few times early on but it was still interesting. The narrative is slight, but fairly fascinating, especially when you read up on the world around you and hear about some of the characters' backstories.

I'm now reading up on the other endings, there's quite a lot I missed on this playthrough, possibly because of the choices I made, possibly because I did not run into them.

It'll also be interesting to see what the upcoming patch will change, whether it'll fix most of my frustrations with the game. And the alleged 4th ending intrigues me as well, especially in light of the other paths you can take through the story and how they tie into the cycle.

EDIT:

Overall, I feel the game has been unfairly bashed in reviews. It looks like everyone hates the UI and describe the game as bug ridden.

I didn't have a problem with the interface, it was no less cumbersome than something in System Shock or Deus Ex. Certainly if you're used to interfaces designed for console controllers, it'll feel weird not being able to pause the game to access menus, having to move the mouse around the screen, and hacking and ability upgrading will feel unweildy. My only complaint was no hotkey for something like inventory, but that was a minor niggle. Accessing the character menu and clicking a tab did not take much effort.

My game didn't crash once, and I ran into a single mercenary lodged inside scenery, but I certainly didn't get the impression the game was unfinished or buggy as hell.

Certainly not a masterpiece, and I am pretty disappointed it's "only" a shooter that flirts with RPG stats and alternative playstyles, but it's an entertaining and challenging trip and a mindbender of a journey.

EDIT2:

Oh and anyone liking the music, I only now noticed the soundtrack is available for download on the developer's site:
http://eye.streumon-studio.com/index.php?page=music

They are all unnamed it seems. My favourite is Track 15 which plays during the mission to find Akmal.
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:

FELIPE NO

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Aug 9, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2011, 06:11 PM #8 of 8
Oh and anyone liking the music, I only now noticed the soundtrack is available for download on the developer's site:
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy - official website: screenshots, trailers and various medias

They are all unnamed it seems. My favourite is Track 15 which plays during the mission to find Akmal.
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:
Interesting, though the absence of actual titles is puzzling; I've made an inquiry on the matter and will share any returns with you chaps.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy