Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

2 questions - Linux/Notebook

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:13 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 10:13 PM #1 of 7
2 questions - Linux/Notebook

I have a notebook that overheats due to the dust inside. The hard drive seems to be broken as well.

1 - I never figured out how to open the notebook. I lost the receipt so I can't bring it back for repairs, but I can't open it. I remove all the screws and then it still won't open. My notebook is a Korean one, that's sold by vendors such as E-machine and Medion. Mine is a Medion (although sold as 'Cybercom Vancouver') type 95172. I guess any type of notebook with a serial number close to that is the same. There is a type that looks a lot like it, but is slightly different:

http://www.gejanssen.com/howto/md41320/

And this is the 'official' notebook:

http://www.arima.com.tw/ViewProduct.asp?View=71

2 - Since I'm now happy with my Dell notebook, and the hard drive sucks anyway, I want to install Linux on it. Requirements is that the version should be easy on the system (since it'll overheat), but also recent and user-friendly. What Linux is good?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:33 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 01:33 PM #2 of 7
In before Merv and "UBUNTU ONRY NAO BIZNATCH"

I would recommend UBUNTU ONRY NAO BIZNATCH. The download is a fair bit smaller than some of the other popular distros, and is more catered to ease of use. In certain ways it's just as easy as Windows XP to use. It also has pretty good hardware support.

In addition, I'm only saying you should try it out since you're new to Linux. If you really wanna play around with things, try out Fedora Core 7.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:02 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 10:02 PM #3 of 7
Linux won't make your overheating problem go away. I even suppose it'll make it worse.

Maybe you should try some other ways of opening it. My friend has a Medion notebook (rather old) and knows the steps to disassemble it by heart. IIRC you gain access to the main screws when removing the keyboard (for this you have to remove some parts of the plastic housing below the lid).

How ya doing, buddy?
flakpyro
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16951

Level 1.86

Dec 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 05:19 PM #4 of 7
http://www.xubuntu.org/

Nice and lite on resources, yes its ubuntu based but i like to think of it more as a debian based OS

How ya doing, buddy?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:34 PM #5 of 7
If you really wanna play around with things, try out Fedora Core 7.

That'll take care of his overheating problem by loading an OS that runs at a pace that makes a snail blush oh wait it won't take care of any problem

Obviously, recommending ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu. Also, flakpyro, Ubuntu is hardly "Debian based." While Ubuntu's code base was from the unstable version of Debian, there's been so many changes that make Ubuntu far different from Debian.

I was speaking idiomatically.
flakpyro
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16951

Level 1.86

Dec 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:51 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 09:51 PM #6 of 7
I dont know what kind you computer you have been using for linux but i could hardly call Feodra 7 slow, alot of reviews ive seen have been very positive, ive been running it since it came out and havn't had a single issue. Look at the benchmarks here:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=658&num=1
I wouldnt call that slow at...

Ubuntu is based off Debian unstable, sure its been n00bifed to make it easier for people who have no clue or just dont care how linux works but the fact is, its based off of Debian Linux, sure its gone in its own more user friendly direction, similar to what Mandrake did with Redhat back in the day. Im not saying you can use Debian apt repos in Ubuntu, im just stating a generalized fact.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by flakpyro; Jun 20, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:49 PM #7 of 7
Ubuntu is based off Debian unstable, sure its been n00bifed to make it easier for people who have no clue or just dont care how linux works but the fact is, its based off of Debian Linux, sure its gone in its own more user friendly direction, similar to what Mandrake did with Redhat back in the day. Im not saying you can use Debian apt repos in Ubuntu, im just stating a generalized fact.
That's not what I was saying at all.

Hint: I was saying that internally, Ubuntu is much more different than Debian than when Ubuntu started.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Little Shithead; Jun 20, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > 2 questions - Linux/Notebook