Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Attention] Why Did I Buy This?

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:38 PM #26 of 59
Heres my list

Ring Of Red: Basic concept is fantastic - WHAT IF WORLD WAR TWO DIDN'T END AND THERE WERE MECHS NOW AND THEN THERE WAS A LOT OF SHIT BLOWING UP EVERYDAY EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

Basic execution was SHIT - Lets have a thinly-veiled story, presented with talking heads (ala Front Mission) about vauge territories and ideas no one can care about. Then lets give Mechs a bunch of worthless infantry units and some power-ups like a ZOOM LENS.

Colony Wars - This is still the only gave I've ever returned in my life. Jesus Fucking Christ, what an awful mess this was. YOU HAD TO PRESS AND HOLD SHOULDER BUTTONS TO GO FORWARD OR BACKWARD. Worst fucking control scheme I've ever come across, holy dumb fuck.

Homeworld 2 - While the game in and of its self isn't bad, the campaign is fucking BALLS NASTY LIKE A RUNNY SHIT. Each level is just another chain in a series of overwhelming attacks; by the third mission, you have barely put out an ion frigate and some fighters and you have to protect a station from numerous capital ships and fighter waves. Fucking STUPID.

Jedi Starfighter - WHAT. Seriously, what the fuck was I thinking when I ordered this thing? Admittedly, I had the good fortune of pre-ordering but never picking up JEDI POWER BATTLES but man almighty was Jedi Starfighter a humiliating game to play. YOU HAVE A CANYON, YOU ARE IN A CANYON, YOU CANNOT LEAVE THE CANYON, SO FLY STRAIGHT AND HIT WALLS AND THEN THERES GUNS FOR SOME REASON AND DONT HIT THEM AND SOME SPACE JEW WILL TELL YOU NOT TO HIT WALLS OVER AND OVER.

Final Fantasy XII - My all-time favorite game remains Final Fantasy Tactics, so to see that FFXII was getting similar treatment, I was geared up for the goddamned BIBLICAL EPIC to end all RPG games. So imagine my confusion and disappointment after the opening credits. Yeah, okay, I've seen airships and castle fights a billion fucking times between FFVIII and LOTR. Add to that a really annoying main character, a love interest that a dog wouldn't hump and some weird-fuck mini-quests. It's not as bad as, say, Final Fantasy VIII - but it's certainly not Final Fantasy IX either.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:43 PM #27 of 59
Absolutely no redeeming qualities
You know when I was dead locked on getting a 360 this was one of the games that made it the reason to get the console so it was sad to see that the game completely failed.

Anyways, I know we're suppose to post games we got personally but when I was little my parents knew I liked video games and got all sorts of things from garage sales and some of the were for me. They might have spent a few cents on this game but it was still too expensive for this type of game.

Just imagine my little head jumping from screen to screen, I honestly thought the game had a glitch or that it was ruined because it was so old.

I game I did get which I regret

I'm sorry but this game is fun for like 20 minutes, nothing in the story is actually explained until the end and even then the ending itself seemed lazy. Hell I don't even care for all the glitches this game had but when I like to roam around the city I would like to run around the streets without having to pretend to be a monk all the time and confine myself to the rooftops where nothing interesting is up there.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

New Record!
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:49 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 01:49 PM #28 of 59
Heres my list

Ring Of Red: Basic concept is fantastic - WHAT IF WORLD WAR TWO DIDN'T END AND THERE WERE MECHS NOW AND THEN THERE WAS A LOT OF SHIT BLOWING UP EVERYDAY EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

Basic execution was SHIT - Lets have a thinly-veiled story, presented with talking heads (ala Front Mission) about vauge territories and ideas no one can care about. Then lets give Mechs a bunch of worthless infantry units and some power-ups like a ZOOM LENS.
Y'know, I really dug Ring of Red, actually. Presentation was minimal, but I enjoyed the music and the gameplay. The whole percentage going up while you hold the shot mechanic was pretty neat.

What kills it though is just how damn hard it is. The last mission is nigh near impossible and considering how useless the infrantry and support moves you get are compared to the enemies, well...it's just so ridiculous that it drains a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Love the idea and setting though, I agree.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:56 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:56 PM #29 of 59
If it's any consolation to you, they basically disbanded after being fucked with by the just recently resigned ex-President of Tecmo.
Actually, Eric. It does.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:09 PM 2 #30 of 59
I love this picture so much

"Can I projectile vomit chocolate bananas directly into your mouth?"

"Sure but first let me hide my purple buttplug from my tiny siberian tiger"

"TOO LATE, BANANA TIME"

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:16 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 10:16 PM #31 of 59
It's that needle that disturbs me. Not as much as the buttplug, though. But only because you keep wondering what it's supposed to be.

FELIPE NO

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:21 PM #32 of 59
The needle is coated with a powerful animal tranquilizer, so that Tiny Siberian Tiger's inevitable rampage upon discovering the buttplug can be stopped.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:21 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 01:21 PM 1 #33 of 59
What the fuck is up with the tiger's face?

"All according to plan..."

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:40 PM #34 of 59
Mario and Luigi, Partners in Time.

So inferior. So linear. The first one was miles above it.

Most amazing jew boots
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:51 PM #35 of 59
Unreal Tournament III - Damn, I love UT. It was the second FPS game I got onto for the PC. The first one was Wolfenstein way back in the early 90s, but UT and Goldeneye helped spark my interest in multiplayer FPS games. UT2003 was different and I didn't like it at first because it looked too much like Quake. Also, they brought down the power of the shock rifle and made it cost 5 ammo when you completed a shock combo. However, Bombing Run made me forget all of that quickly. When UT2004 came out, yes it was 2003 with more features but those additions made the game so much better. They brought back Assault and introduced Onslaught and Invasion, two game types that I play at every LAN party at my college along with capture the flag.

Then came word of UT3 and I was already disappointed. They were removing Bombing Run, however they were going to combine Assault and Onslaught into this one huge gametype called Warfare. I played the demo and while Deathmatch sucked, CTF turned out to be alright so I thought I'd give the game a try.

What the fuck have they done to UT?! I played multiplayer online about 5 times and haven't played since. Warfare turned out to be shit, DM still sucked ass, CTF began to get boring, and I didn't even touch the single player campaign. Immediately I went back to UT2004 and noticed that I moved a lot faster in that game than I did in UT3. UT is ruined and just the fact that the next installment is looking to be console only proves that they just said "fuck you" to the people who made it popular in the first place, the PC gamers. Yes, it was bad on the PC but it's not our fault, hell no! It's your fault for trying to make the graphics better while making the gameplay shit. The only good thing that came out of UT3 is the menu music, an updated version of the original UT's menu music. It's going to be a long time before I play a new UT game, but for now I'll stick with UT99 and UT2004.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:27 PM #36 of 59
Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer: Even though I normally don't like realism based games, I decided to give this one a try since I had read that it wasn't quite so heavy on the realism. It was even $10 off for a weekend special at Best Buy shortly after it came out, so I figured it wouldn't hurt so much if I ended up not liking it. Well, I don't know what all the magazine and website reviews were raving about when they praised this game. All it felt like to me was a quasi MMO where all the 24/7 players had all the weapon unlocks and everything, pwning all the noobs like me who had the crappy starter stuff.

Not only that it felt like the game was more spray and pray than anything else. Like someone could just start firing rapidly and they're guaranteed a kill since you know this is a realism based arcady shooter and you can only take about 2 hits before you're dead. If it wasn't that, then the maps usually dictated it as a game of sniper whack-a-mole where everyone just hides in some corner picking off people who don't have the kind of patience to sit around all day waiting for the other side to DO SOMETHING. Biggest waste of $40 EVER! ARGH I'm pissed off even thinking about it.

Thank you Guest for the kickass signature!
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:39 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 11:39 AM 1 #37 of 59
You bought it only for multiplayer? Seriously?

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:46 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 11:46 PM #38 of 59
who had the crappy starter stuff.
From a practical standpoint, the "crappy starter stuff" are the best weapons in the game. The M16A is ridiculous, and everything after that is merely a preference thing. But the gun is crazy powerful and accurate, and is one of the most commonly used guns due to it's insane abilities.

I can totally understand not liking the game though, the multiplayer is plagued by one of the worst communities since the original Counter Strike. It's really hard to enjoy it thanks to that.

Quote:
If it wasn't that, then the maps usually dictated it as a game of sniper whack-a-mole where everyone just hides in some corner picking off people who don't have the kind of patience to sit around all day waiting for the other side to DO SOMETHING.
While camping is certainly an issue, you should see the added DLC map Creek. Holy fuck, I haven't seen such failure in map design in ages. I actually hated it so much that I removed the DLC after buying it so it would never pop up in the hopper for me again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Aug 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:23 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 06:23 PM #39 of 59
Originally Posted by ComradeTande
I think it was suikoden 4...5? Idk, after three they all seem to blend into a crapfest that is that =[ All I remember were the block graphics and uninteresting storyline. Oh yeah, can't forget tactics too =[
(don't get me wrong, I loved 1 - 3)
I agree with Deni, what the hell is wrong with you. =|

I was struggling to think of something to post in this thread until I saw the post I quoted. Suikoden III. The reviews I read made this one sound absolutely fantastic, and given the awesomeness of Suikoden II my expectations were lofty as Everest. But holy shit that game was bad. The plot had some interesting sparks and some of the character graphics were OK to look at, but otherwise it was just a horrible, horrible game. It raped everything that the original two games brought to the gaming market and everything the fans had grown to love, and instead relied on fancy PS2 aesthetics to win over the fans.

Obviously the fans who were won over don't have the greatest taste. (look at the post quoted)

I bought a swap magic kit just for SIII, too. I still haven't managed to put it to good use...

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Muzza; Aug 22, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:39 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 12:39 AM 1 #40 of 59
Call of Duty 4.

I actually hated it so much that I completely forgot I owned it and bought it a second time to try it out after Skills threatened to come to California and kill me if I didn't. So I actually have two copies of CoD4 sitting on my shelf, both of which have been played exactly once.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:42 AM #41 of 59
You're probably gonna beat me for actually liking Suikoden III, but prior to playing it, I had never played a Suikoden game before. Perhaps when I indulge more time into Suikoden I and II, my opinion of the game will change, but I'll reserve my own personal judgment on that one.

Without any bias from the other two, the game overall didn't really bother me much at all. Managed to 100% the game within a couple weeks of playing it.

I did avoid IV though, but didn't get too far in V at all.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:52 AM #42 of 59

Yeeea. I was being all emo because of various circumstances at the time and ended up picking this up on a whim (a shallow attempt to cheer myself up). The first quarter of the game is neat and then it just becomes more of the same fucking zombies who aren't interesting to fight and more lame monsters. Glaive was cool though but they really should have just stuck with human enemies for the most part with monsters sprinkled throughout. I regret spending $60 on it.

LETDOWN TOTAL. Not a complete and utter failure like DMC2, just a disappointment. I like Nero, I like the arm, I like dante and thats pretty much where all the cool stuff ends with this. Didn't care for the character designs, bosses are completely lame compared DMC3 and hell, even DMC1. Doesn't help that you have to fight most of them at least 3 times. Couple that with the fact that the second half of the game is just the 1st half in reverse and you get a resounding MEH. Lazy Capcom.

Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:19 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 03:19 AM #43 of 59
Capcom Fighting Evolution comes to mind. I was in a serious need of a fighting game fix and could not find Street Fighter Anniversary Collection anywhere. I figured CFE was my only choice at that moment.

I should have just set the money on fire. I think I played the game for a couple of days before realizing there was no point in giving more of my time to that Mugen-like mess.

Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:57 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 11:57 AM #44 of 59
Heres my list

Ring Of Red
Colony Wars
Homeworld 2
Final Fantasy XII
Like Skills, I liked Ring of Red. The infantry weren't toally useless and watching them get killed never stopped being funny. My main gripes would be the nonsense story and the fact that it's a bit repetitive with no new stuff ever coming along to keep you interested after you get the close combat things. I wouldn't say I regretted buying it though.

I never played Colony Wars but I played the second one and fuck me was that game difficult. I did ok right up to the level where they have you towing meteors into a big space ship only you have about 30 seconds to complete the mission, there's about twenty enemy fighters after you and once you latch onto the meteor your steering goes to shit. Of course once you fail that mission you're bumped onto the worse storyline path but rather than make those missions easier because you already failed one, they're actually harder than the good path missions. Fuck that. I never had any issues with the controls though, I found them pretty intuitive.

Homeworld 2 I agree completely. Mission 3 - Defend the broken weapons platform from five capital ships using a squadron of fighters and your main ship which will take too long to get there. I suck at RTS games at the best of times but this shit is ridiculous.

I liked FFXII quite a lot. Sure it's no IX but it's way better than VIII and X.

I'll never know what possessed me to buy Tekken V. I've never really liked Tekken all that much and none of my mates play it any more so I played through it enough to unlock most of the characters then never played it again.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:44 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 01:44 AM #45 of 59
It's that needle that disturbs me. Not as much as the buttplug, though. But only because you keep wondering what it's supposed to be.
That's just the skewer stick for the banana.

Wait why am I analyzing this

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:52 PM #46 of 59
You bought it only for multiplayer? Seriously?
Actually, I haven't played the single player yet, so I didn't want to pass judgment one way or the other on it. I read in many places that it was really good yet also really short. So I'm holding off until I feel like playing a short single player game to try to at least feel like I got some value out of my purchase.

Overall though, the purchase was mainly a test to see if my multiplayer FPS tastes had changed much since as I don't like realism based FPS games, and clearly this proved that they have not. I guess it could've been worse, I could've gone all out and bought the CE.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Thank you Guest for the kickass signature!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:18 PM #47 of 59
That's just the skewer stick for the banana.

Wait why am I analyzing this
Shhh... leave them to their imaginations. It's much better that way. =)

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Klaus
Please... don't touch me.

Member 2469

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:30 PM #48 of 59

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Slow battle system, horrible voice overs, graphics are less then stellar, characters that just don't look right, and it cost as much as a 360/PS3 game.

I kept the poster when I sold it though.
Ugh, ditto for me, this is really the strongest candidate. 60+ dollars, fuck.
But I still haven't sold it. I'll keep for "collector's value".

Did you ever beat it? I play, but then I quit soon after. Always. I'm not even sure I'm half way through it and had it since it came out.

Quote:
I think it was suikoden 4...5? Idk, after three they all seem to blend into a crapfest that is that =[ All I remember were the block graphics and uninteresting storyline. Oh yeah, can't forget tactics too =[
(don't get me wrong, I loved 1 - 3)
I thought Suikoden 5 was supposed to be much better than 4, I haven't played anything after 3. 3 was 'meh'... fuck you Hugo. Suikoden 2 will likely always be my favorite, even if I do get 5 and enjoy it. The only reason, I think, I went through 3 was because of Luc and Yuber.

Also, I regret Grand Turismo A-Spec. My thought's were at the time: "Hey, you went to a auto mechanic school, time to get back into the game. Grand Turismo looks good." I was so stupid, game is a goddamn chore, less fun then working on actual cars.

Most amazing jew boots
"So shut your cow-mouth or I'll remove your face by hand before I stop your whore's heart!"
~Victor von Doom

Last edited by Klaus; Aug 22, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:45 PM #49 of 59
Did you ever beat it? I play, but then I quit soon after. Always. I'm not even sure I'm half way through it and had it since it came out.
30 minutes in and I quit. I couldn't stand the game.

Augustus
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 30604

Level 1.10

May 2008

Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:21 AM #50 of 59
The entire Halo series.

I know we're supposed to mention specific games, but I just had to mention every Halo game. I bought a 360 this month, and one of the games I had to get was Halo, due to all the hype I've been hearing in the past (I'm a PS2 and GC owner, never had an xbox). Because of the cheapness, I bought Halo and Halo 2, and I played through Halo with my brother in co-op....which, you know, is fun. The story seemed cool at first...kinda sorta like an older scifi action...or horror...flick from the 90's (I'm not sure what Halo is trying to be), I'm reminded of Alien.

The controls are pretty solid, but using the same maps over and over and over and over again should NOT be allowed. It seemed to me that they had to put arrows on the floor because everything looked the same, in some levels. An example of this is the final level....there is a vehicle section that seems pretty epic...until you drive through the same place over and over.

Okay, I thought Halo 2 would be better....the map-reuse is a tad bit better, but overall, I'm not overly impressed. Halo (the series) is not super-amazing like it's supposed to be. It's average. The fact that you can play through with someone else gives it points, but when you both get so bored that you stop playing....

...That's right, my brother and I are somewhere in the middle of Halo 2, and have stopped because we're bored.

And guess what? I bought Halo 3 with my 360.

Pikman

This was supposed to be an original game for the Gamecube....I never finished it because it bored me to death.

Animal Crossing

Same as above....once I got a decent sized house, and realized there wasn't anything much else to do, I was bored.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Attention] Why Did I Buy This?