Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Attention] TUOAIVGRT

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:42 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2008, 11:42 AM 1 #1 of 1
TUOAIVGRT

Or, The Use Of Acronyms In Video Game Related Threads.

I appreciate that nobody wants to type out Final Fantasy every time they mention a Final Fantasy game, let alone The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time and as such, it's pretty common practice to abbreviate the titles in discussions. This in itself is not a problem and more often than not helps to make posts more readable.

What one should never do however is assume that everyone else automatically knows what you're talking about when you start using abbreviations.

A recent thread (Which has now been merged) proclaimed "So I just bought WAR", referred to the game solely as WAR throughout the crappy opening post and offered little other explanation other than a comparrison to WoW, itself described only in acronym terms.

Now I reckon he was talking about Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and World of Warcraft but in the interest of mutual understandign and clarity, it would be much appreciated if in future, when you are creating threads, you could give the name of the product you are going to be abbreviating at least once before you start using the abbeviation, ideally in the title. Also, if you're comparing the game to something else in a later post, use the full name at least once.

Not everybody here will necessarily have played all the same games as you and what might seem an obvious acronym to you might mean something totally different to someone else.

It's a little thing that will require very little effort by anyone but will, I think, go some distance to dispelling abiguity in threads. It's not like anyone will be punished for doing this but I will probably delete any threads that open with an abbreviation-fest in future.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Attention] TUOAIVGRT